Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to build great houses on the sims 3

My houses on the sims 3 pretty much sucks. When I see other people houses it looks realistic, and like a actual house.

Please help! Tips? :oops:

Comments

• JohnnyDancer54JohnnyDancer54 Posts: 42 New Member
    edited June 2013
    When I first started playing my houses looked like houses I drew in the 2nd grade "square" you just have to experiment with different angles use different types of roofs build decks go as high as you want I have greenhouses that are five stories high eventually you'll seen much better results...
  • litabelaqualitabelaqua Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited June 2013
    I don't have much imagination when it comes to building houses, so I find it really helpful to start with a picture of a house I really like, and try to replicate that. It wont be exact as we are constrained by what is possible with build mode, but I can make something similar, then I just fill in the blanks with what I think would work best. Here is an example of a house I built from a picture a while ago

Cutehouse_zps43bbf2af.png

jakhouseshell2_zps12a36b89.jpg

And here is one I built from a house plan for a 1950's style house

mid2421plan_zps04a757e8.jpg

mid2421m_zpse37f407a.jpg

So try finding a picture of a house, nothing too complicated and see if you can build something from the picture. Don't try to make it exactly the same, but use the picture for inspiration and I think you will be very surprised with what you can come up with.
  • ShastaHawkShastaHawk Posts: 14
    edited June 2013
    My houses on the sims 3 pretty much sucks. When I see other people houses it looks realistic, and like a actual house.

Visit your local thrift stores and see if they have any house plan books available. If no, go to your library and check out some from there. This should give you some great ideas to get started
  • snowpatrolchlosnowpatrolchlo Posts: 350
    edited June 2013
    Practice- experiment with the different tools available. That's the only way in my opinion.I find it better not use the designs offered in game : edit them using Create A Design, or what ever you call it. That way you can make truely unique designs in your Sims homes.
  • alac13alac13 Posts: 162 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I usually look up house plans. There are plenty of sites that are free, you can even do searches in them if you are looking for something specific.
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, there are tons of places online. I like http://www.coolhouseplans.com/ you can look up plans by style, number of floors, number of bedrooms and all kinds of stuff.

I print out the study plans, then make a rough sketch on graph paper with around 2 to 3 feet per square.
  • iWombo3kiWombo3k Posts: 132
    edited June 2013
    I just use the exchange to get good houses xD. I suggest planning though. Draw out a blueprint of what you want it to look like.
  • Bettiepage78Bettiepage78 Posts: 1 New Member
    I know this post is from a long time ago, but if you see this...how did you do the slanted roof on the mid century? I love it! 😊
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited January 2019
    @Bettiepage78 I believe they used a half gable on the left and after that you just choose roof section height and raise it to match the regular gable roof they used on the larger house section.

Example on this house I made below a half gable was used 2 times to create this roof so I could add the tri window dormer.My roof is just two half gables at different heights

D6f7lIL.jpg

On this house I used a half gable on the left raised to meet the center wall of main building.

ZqMPjJ6.png

just after using a half gable raise and lower the pitch.Experiment when making roofing is not always best to use one solid roof you can make unique styles combining several roof styles and heights.
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    ShastaHawk wrote: »
    My houses on the sims 3 pretty much plum. When I see other people houses it looks realistic, and like a actual house.

Visit your local thrift stores and see if they have any house plan books available. If no, go to your library and check out some from there. This should give you some great ideas to get started

Tons of free house plans online as well.

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I would say have faith in your creations. As long as you and your sims are happy with your builds then there is no need to worry.

I would also suggest using images from the internet or buildings you have seen in real life. In the UK we have a wide variety of building styles from different periods of history which is incredibly lucky if you are looking for inspiration. I got the idea for this build, a Tudor manor house, from an image I found on the internet.

SMS1WW2.png

Note the straight lines of the roof. I am absolutely hopeless at roofing so I try to keep buildings as regular in shape as I can.

Finally I would suggest looking at TS3 builds on Youtube. The Sims supply, Curtis Paradise and Deligracy all have some pretty useful videos. You might also want to check out @Karritz, she has a thread on the forum and a Youtube channel.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/934514/sims-3-and-things#latest
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita