Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Analysis - freezing/crashing when trying to check into a resort

Comments

• weeone125weeone125 Posts: 20 Member
    edited June 2013
    I just thought I would add that even though the freezing stopped when I changed my Sims careers I still had other freezing problems with IP. My game froze when my Sims were just chilling at the beach because another NPC Sim checked in to a resort. Maybe the other resident Sims who are self employed can also cause a freeze. Just beware of that.
    ALSO does anyone know if EA actually looks at these threads??
    How can we tell them that their game has a bug and they need to fix it?

• NataliePetmerNataliePetmer Posts: 156 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I had my self employed scuba diver sim quit her job, and then she was able to check into the resorts. So that worked for me too.
  • mia919mia919 Posts: 186 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I had my sim quit the painter career and was able to check into all three resorts with no issues! :D Thank you!!
  • TootieHyPeRGaLTootieHyPeRGaL Posts: 13 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I had my Sim quit her Painter career, and she was then able to check in at the resorts :)
  • FairawenFairawen Posts: 1
    edited June 2013
    Created an account so I could weigh in on the resort freeze. Starting to see a pattern - not sure if this will help out any, but if anyone else could check to see if these patterns are true for them I'd appreciate it. (I have a laptop and it's a bit terrible at running the Sims as it is.)

Things I've discovered:

- The check-in freeze is closely related to another freeze that only happens when my Sim owns the resort in question (have not yet tried to duplicate with Sim not owning the resort). After being on the lot for an hour or two, game will freeze.

- To achieve instant freezing, a Sim can try to check in. To achieve a slow freeze, Sim simply needs to be on the lot for some point in time. Sim DOES NOT need to interact with the desk at all for the freeze to eventually show up.

- These two freezes are exactly alike in type (that is, the plumbob is still bobbing, water is still moving, but the game itself is perpetually loading).

- These two freezes DO NOT occur when my Sim is classically employed (rabbit hole job).

- Both errors DO occur when Sim is self-employed.

- NEW: Both freezes also occur when Sim is employed in a job with an open schedule. This means work such as the Magician, Acrobat and Singer causes the same freeze bug as when the Sim is self-employed. If anyone can replicate this on another machine I'd appreciate it. :)

- Bug is not fixed when all other items on lot are removed. (Besides the desk, as that is required for the resort).

Now I'm not a Sim modder, and my knowledge of coding is a bit limited, but I've got theories.

Based on how the resort functions, I can see that there are a pool of employees that one can hire from. These Sims seem to be a bit like service Sims, in that they aren't "residents". When your Sim (or a Sim in the active household) has an open work schedule, it's possible that the game is trying to use those individuals in the pool of possible employees (for one reason or another... again, not sure how the coding works for Sims, so this might be a silly thing to assume, but let's just go with it). Either because A. They are technically employed with a "role" or B. They are in the active household, the code creates an infinite loop of some kind, where it's trying to add this Sim(s) to the pool of "possible employees", but can't. This is why the freeze happens both when you're trying to check in ("How can a possible employee check in?" it says to itself) or after a certain amount of game hours have passed with the resort being "active" (where the infinite coding loop just slowly overwhelms the game with info).

This might be a case of the code lacking an exception for Sims with open work schedules from the pool of possible employees. This means to fix the bug would just need a line of code to outline an exception for these Sims. Really, from my perspective, it's an easy fix for the makers of the game (or a modder who knows what they're doing). If that's the issue, of course.

But, sadly, this is all conjecture. :( Not sure if anyone could go poking around in the code and try to see if they could fix it with all of this in mind. It's a terribly restrictive bug that needs to be dealt with asap for most people to enjoy the game.

In any case, if anybody can prove any of this wrong or duplicate it, would really appreciate it! (Especially testing all Sims with open work schedule types. Haven't had time to get through all the different role possibilities yet.) Lemme know what you guys think. Meanwhile, I'll be trying to test out more things and see if I can't find any more specifics.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited June 2013
    Thank you everyone. I have posted a link to crinrict's bug fix thread. I hope the solutions/work arounds she recommends are sufficient for people to continue to play the game until it is fixed.
  • hippiechick7897hippiechick7897 Posts: 302 Member
    edited June 2013
    Fixed my issue as well. Quit her job as a writer and was able to check in. Thanks!
    Tomorrow has been cancelled due to a lack of interest.

giphy.gif
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited June 2013
    Fairawen wrote:
    Created an account so I could weigh in on the resort freeze. Starting to see a pattern - not sure if this will help out any, but if anyone else could check to see if these patterns are true for them I'd appreciate it. (I have a laptop and it's a bit terrible at running the Sims as it is.)

Things I've discovered:

- The check-in freeze is closely related to another freeze that only happens when my Sim owns the resort in question (have not yet tried to duplicate with Sim not owning the resort). After being on the lot for an hour or two, game will freeze.

- To achieve instant freezing, a Sim can try to check in. To achieve a slow freeze, Sim simply needs to be on the lot for some point in time. Sim DOES NOT need to interact with the desk at all for the freeze to eventually show up.

- These two freezes are exactly alike in type (that is, the plumbob is still bobbing, water is still moving, but the game itself is perpetually loading).

- These two freezes DO NOT occur when my Sim is classically employed (rabbit hole job).

- Both errors DO occur when Sim is self-employed.

- NEW: Both freezes also occur when Sim is employed in a job with an open schedule. This means work such as the Magician, Acrobat and Singer causes the same freeze bug as when the Sim is self-employed. If anyone can replicate this on another machine I'd appreciate it. :)

- Bug is not fixed when all other items on lot are removed. (Besides the desk, as that is required for the resort).

Now I'm not a Sim modder, and my knowledge of coding is a bit limited, but I've got theories.

Based on how the resort functions, I can see that there are a pool of employees that one can hire from. These Sims seem to be a bit like service Sims, in that they aren't "residents". When your Sim (or a Sim in the active household) has an open work schedule, it's possible that the game is trying to use those individuals in the pool of possible employees (for one reason or another... again, not sure how the coding works for Sims, so this might be a silly thing to assume, but let's just go with it). Either because A. They are technically employed with a "role" or B. They are in the active household, the code creates an infinite loop of some kind, where it's trying to add this Sim(s) to the pool of "possible employees", but can't. This is why the freeze happens both when you're trying to check in ("How can a possible employee check in?" it says to itself) or after a certain amount of game hours have passed with the resort being "active" (where the infinite coding loop just slowly overwhelms the game with info).

This might be a case of the code lacking an exception for Sims with open work schedules from the pool of possible employees. This means to fix the bug would just need a line of code to outline an exception for these Sims. Really, from my perspective, it's an easy fix for the makers of the game (or a modder who knows what they're doing). If that's the issue, of course.

But, sadly, this is all conjecture. :( Not sure if anyone could go poking around in the code and try to see if they could fix it with all of this in mind. It's a terribly restrictive bug that needs to be dealt with asap for most people to enjoy the game.

In any case, if anybody can prove any of this wrong or duplicate it, would really appreciate it! (Especially testing all Sims with open work schedule types. Haven't had time to get through all the different role possibilities yet.) Lemme know what you guys think. Meanwhile, I'll be trying to test out more things and see if I can't find any more specifics.

Interesting theory. Thanks for your input (and welcome to the forums)

I do go to my own resort quite a lot with my diver Sim and it only freezes when I check in.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• sirona66sirona66 Posts: 5,196 Member
    edited June 2013
    Karritz wrote:
    If those of us who do have problems with this could answer these questions and provide additional relevant information it may help us work this out.

1. Are you using any Custom Content or mods (If so, please remove all mods. I need it tested on a vanilla game or EA will say it's mod).
    NO
    2. Which Patch Level are you at ?
    newest
    3. Did you start a new game or are you playing an existing ones ?
    both, have one that is existing and one that's new

4. Did you transfer an existing Sim over or are they new/Pre-Made ?
    both same as above.

5. What town are you currently playing ? EA or Custom ?
    eas new town island (something)

6. What is your Operating System (Mac, XP, Vista, Win 7) ?
    windows 7

7. Do you have the download or DVD Version of the game ?
    download version

8. Are you reporting for the Uni-World, Home-World or WA-World ?
    home=world

And some extra questions please:
    1. Which resort(s) are a problem for you
    all of them

2. Are all Sims affected? Or is it just a certain one?

of my sim families all of them do not know about the ones that are non playable

3. What career/job does your problem Sim have?
    my sims are unemployed or self employed.

4. Does changing career get rid of the issue?
    don't know have not changed careers.

5. Is your whole household affected? Also other households if you change the active household?
    all in same household

6. What skills do your affected sims have (including collecting and consigning)?
    a lot of skills, one family is moved over so loads of skill the other in a new game several skills but not loaded in skills yet.

7. Are you using a new or pre made sim?

no these are my own sims, not pre=mades.
    and just to add my comp is 1 month old and is an alienware gameing computer with a 4gig NVidia GeForce video card and 8 gigs memory and hardly uses any, but I have not checked to see what its doing in a 2hour game play also lagging around that same time, heard possible for this is memory leak.
  • kikuraskikuras Posts: 42 Member
    edited June 2013
    Looks like being retired also freezes the game when trying to check in to a resort. It might be because my sim is retired from being a lifeguard but I'm not sure.
  • Hellbiter88Hellbiter88 Posts: 916 Member
    edited June 2013

This is a link to the fix crinrict has posted for this issue:
    http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2013/06/game-freezes-when-checking
    -into-resort.html ---This fix did not help---

1. No Custom Content apart from NRAAS Master Controller, Story Progression, Overwatch and Debug Enabler Mods. I disabled these and started a new game with a new Game Folder in a new world with new sims. Same problem occurs.
    2. The latest one: 1.55
    3. New Game
    4. No, new sims
    5. Isla Paradiso
    6. Win 7
    7. DVD Version
    8. Home World

1. Every single one, including resorts I owned and built myself
    2. Every single sim, every single time.
    3. Unemployed
    4. No
    5. Yes
    6. All skills were maxed out when I had MasterController activated, but now I started my own resort with only a Lvl 2 Charisma and Lvl 1 Cooking and Lvl 1 Fishing and I still ran into the same problem.
    7. New sim.
    Welcome to the forums!
    hD8C13932
  • AJS192769AJS192769 Posts: 380 Member
    edited June 2013
    I, too, was having the freezing issue when my sim would check in. I changed him out of the angler career and that solved the problem. I was able to check in, after a VERY lengthy wait, only to have the game freeze after about a sim hour on the lot. It happened once they were in bed for the night, and after a restart, on their way to the wedding arch. This must be the "slow freeze" another poster mentioned. About ready to bang my head on the desk!!
  • FlutternothingFlutternothing Posts: 6 New Member
    edited June 2013
    1. Are you using any Custom Content or mods (If so, please remove all mods. I need it tested on a vanilla game or EA will say it's mod). NO, no custom content or Mods.
    2. Which Patch Level are you at ? 1.55
    3. Did you start a new game or are you playing an existing ones ? New game
    4. Did you transfer an existing Sim over or are they new/Pre-Made ? Pre-made sim already in town.
    5. What town are you currently playing ? EA or Custom ? EA, Isla Paradiso.
    6. What is your Operating System (Mac, XP, Vista, Win 7) ? MAC
    7. Do you have the download or DVD Version of the game ? Download
    8. Are you reporting for the Uni-World, Home-World or WA-World ? Home-world

1. Which resort(s) are a problem for you. All of them.
    2. Are all Sims affected? Or is it just a certain one? Only playing one
    3. What career/job does your problem Sim have? Self-employed/diving
    4. Does changing career get rid of the issue? haven't tried it yet, but will.
    5. Is your whole household affected? Also other households if you change the active household? haven't tried.
    6. What skills do your affected sims have (including collecting and consigning)?
  • EmmahloserfaceEmmahloserface Posts: 19
    edited July 2013
    1. I have a lot of CC but no mods.
    2. 1.55
    3. New game.
    4. Nope.
    5. The new Island paradise worl.
    6. Windows 7.
    7. I downloaded IP from origin, other packs are from the disc.
    8. Home.

1. Which resort(s) are a problem for you? All of them.
    2. Are all Sims affected? Or is it just a certain one? I've only made one household in IP world.
    3. What career/job does your problem Sim have? Scubadiver.
    4. Does changing career get rid of the issue? I've not tried.
    5. Is your whole household affected? Also other households if you change the active household? Haven't tried.
    6. What skills do your affected sims have (including collecting and consigning)? Diving/snorkelling, cooking, athletic.
    7. Are you using a new or pre made sim? New sim.

Edit:
    **IF YOU ARE SELF-EMPLOYED, QUIT YOUR JOB, IT FIXES THE CHECK-IN FREEZE**
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    edited July 2013
    1. I have 12 or so of Twallan's mods with a few others and a small amount of CC.
    2. 1.55
    3. Started a new save
    4. I'm using two Sims that were saved in my library
    5. Isla Paradiso
    6. Windows 7
    7. DVD
    8. Home world

Extra:

1. Sparkling sands is the only one I've tried so far
    2. Unsure
    3. Self-employed painter
    4. Ending self employment let me check in but another hard freeze just occurred after being at the resort for a few hours
    5. Unsure
    6. Painting, photography, charisma, street art, gambling, athletic and some others
    7. I'm not sure how you define 'new' but it's my own Sims that were saved in the library

So in short, having my self-employed painter quit her job allowed me to check in, but then I had to close the game after being at the resort a few hours because I had another hard freeze.

This is so frustrating. The resorts were one of the aspects of this expansion I was looking forward to the most and now I can't even visit them. :( I hardly ever get bugs like this so it's frustrating that one like this should come along now.
  • JodieH777JodieH777 Posts: 215 Member
    edited July 2013
    I build a resort in Barnacle Bay and was having problems of it freezing randomly when I sent my sim to the resort. My sim checked in fine, but later as others arrived to check in it would freeze on me, so this isn't just being caused by the sim you are in control of, but also by other sims who check into the resort too. I use NRAAS Story Progression which is very efficient in employing the towns sims and unfortunately means I have several sims in my world that are self-employed and this seems to be what is causing me my problem. Answered the questions below:

1. Are you using any Custom Content or mods (If so, please remove all mods. I need it tested on a vanilla game or EA will say it's mod).
    Yes, but I tried it with and without custom content and mods, same problem happens

Existing

Playing an existing sim.

EA, Barnacle Bay

Win 7, 64 bit

DVD

Home-World

Resort I made from blueprints.

My sim is not affected, but some sims that I am not in control of are affected. Otherwise it is some of the other sims from town that are making the game freeze when they check into the resort.

3. What career/job does your problem Sim have? I found three sims at my resort that were causing it to freeze. I found the problem sims by watching the checkin desk to see which ones were freezing the game as they checked in. Two are self-employed as a painter and a writer, and the third was in the science career. Note the sim in the science career has a husband self-employed as a fisherman, but the husband was not at the resort at the time she checked in, so I don't know if she was checking him in with her or not.

4. Does changing career get rid of the issue? I reset the sims that were causing the problem, so they were no longer at the resort and that seemed to fix the issue. My sim was able to finish his stay at the resort without it freezing any more.

5. Is your whole household affected? Also other households if you change the active household? My household was not affected and I didn't change the active household to test other households.

Not sure what skills the affected sims have. I never played any of those households and they more than likely got their self-employment status through the story progression mod.

All the sims affected were sims that pre-existed in the Barnacle Bay world.
  • djacob16djacob16 Posts: 95 Member
    edited July 2013
    Nope. None at all.

New game

New sims. A family that already existed in the town.

EA Isla Paradisa

Win 7

Download

Home

I only tried at the Spanish one... I can't remeber the name

I only had the one guy in the family

Angler. I did this specifically to test this bug

Yes

5. Is your whole household affected? Also other households if you change the active household?
    The whole gme just freezes and I have to force it to close

Angler, scuba

A sim that existed in isla paradisa

I hope it gets fixed soon. This is quite a big bug.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited July 2013
    Just happened to me when I tried to check into Hobart with a scuba diver :( I didn't know it was an issue so hadn't saved my progress before hand.

Nope. None at all.

Existing game, I only started it today though but played some different families.

New sim

EA Isla Paradisa

Win 7

DVD

Home

Hobart. I checked into a different resort with another sim in a different household and it was fine.

Just one at the moment

Scuba diving

No idea because I have to shut the game down and I don't want to reboot the game at this time of night

Haven't tried

Scuba diving, angler and athletics (all early stages)

New

Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • minor_authorityminor_authority Posts: 8 New Member
    edited July 2013
    1. Are you using any Custom Content or mods (If so, please remove all mods. I need it tested on a vanilla game or EA will say it's mod). NO MODS, JUST STUFF FROM THE EA STORE
    2. Which Patch Level are you at ? THE CURRENT ONE, 1.55
    3. Did you start a new game or are you playing an existing ones ? NEW GAME
    4. Did you transfer an existing Sim over or are they new/Pre-Made ? NEW SIM
    5. What town are you currently playing ? EA or Custom ? ISLA PARADISO
    6. What is your Operating System (Mac, XP, Vista, Win 7) ? WIN 7
    7. Do you have the download or DVD Version of the game ? DOWNLOAD
    8. Are you reporting for the Uni-World, Home-World or WA-World ? ....NOT SURE

1. Which resort(s) are a problem for you? THE HIGH TECH FANCY ONE, THE SPANISH ONE
    2. Are all Sims affected? Or is it just a certain one? I HAVE JUST TRIED WITH ONE SIM
    3. What career/job does your problem Sim have? SCUBA DIVER
    4. Does changing career get rid of the issue? NOT TRIED YET
    5. Is your whole household affected? Also other households if you change the active household? YES
    6. What skills do your affected sims have (including collecting and consigning)? SCUBA, COOKING,
    7. Are you using a new or pre made sim? NEW
  • anmllvr234anmllvr234 Posts: 577
    edited July 2013
    bump

Will a patch be created for this error. It destroys the game experience.
  • CaptobvsCaptobvs Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited July 2013
    anmllvr234 wrote:
    bump

Will a patch be created for this error. It destroys the game experience.

Still waiting for an answer for EA.
  • blueybeanblueybean Posts: 40 Member
    edited July 2013

This is just too funny. This game with it's thousands of bugs is only playable because of mods, but EA won't fix or even check ONE reported bug because of the usage of mods?

Whatever. BUMP.

RESORT FREEZES THE GAME. EA!!! TWALLAN! someone...

plz hlp
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited July 2013
    They ARE looking into this.
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• H0RTENSISH0RTENSIS Posts: 1,132 Member
    edited July 2013
    The gurus have said on Twitter they are aware and investigating.

I have also have this issue and have reported it in Crin's bug thread but I thought I might expand a little here on what happened and how I recovered the game.

I had been playing very happily. The game runs well, I hadn't experienced any lag and the graphics are gorgeous. I had scuba dived, chatted to mermaids and even VISITED resorts all without major problems (a few irritations such as being returned to the water surface if the camera tilts up too far or being returned to land from a cave but nothing serious) I had been using just one save the entire time.

Then I decided I wanted to try resort OWNERSHIP. I created a sim in CAS and settled him into his empty lot with just his tent :) He had nothing in his inventory, no achievements, just a brand new sim. I then had him buy Hobarts (I think that's what it was called, I changed the name) Hideaway (the free one)via his phone. He went right on over to visit. We were able to wander around and go into buy/build and delete a few things, it was only once I interacted with the front desk that the freeze arrived. The game engine was running but I couldn't control ANYTHING so I task managed my way out of the game and reloaded.

Because my sim was already on the resort lot when the game loaded it froze almost immediately. I reloaded once more, same result. Worse still there wasn't a .backup file for IP. I thought I'd lost everything I'd ever done in Island Paradise.

The next time I loaded the game I hit pause as quickly as I could before the game froze and I switched to edit town. From there I evicted my sim from his home. I then replaced him back into the same home (Well, empty lot and tent that is!) and got him a job as a life guard immediately (so not one of the regular jobs but an open hours one) and then had him PURCHASE the same resort. (It was no longer free). He went on over to check out his purchase and has been running the resort successfully ever since. Now he only goes home to pay his bills so that the repo' man doesn't take his tent ;)

I also learned my lesson and now have multiple saves of my progress! Just in case!

I don't know, maybe something in there is relevant. See my post (page 43 of the bug thread) for my pictures of the weird sim I found outside the same resort. The 'sim' was actually multiple sims, with names of sims living in the IP town all moulded into one sim. VERY bizarre!

My game is mod/hack/cc free and always has been

Desktop: Win 7 64 bit, 16 Gb RAM, i7 processor 3.40 GHz, nVidia 580 GTX
  • Summa73Summa73 Posts: 9 New Member
    edited July 2013
    I see that you can't be self-employed and check into a resort. Is this something that will be fixed? If not, it is very frustrating.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top