Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Huge Wilderness Worlds - Camera Bugs?

RuggedWilderness3_zpse543a246.png

2ac7b68d-90b1-4a61-9ff9-6579d3b68cb2_zps5dd868f6.jpg

(System specs have been provided at the bottom of this post.)

I want a big, organic looking wilderness that's not an island more than anything in the Sims3. I'm aware others want this too... I am not really ready to use CAW, but I was tired of waiting for something exactly like this to come out.

After uninstalling and re-installing Sims3 and removing all custom content and CCMagic so I can troubleshoot CAW without having to do an extra week of research to work around those (thank you Auntielynds, if you read this, I'm sure you were right about the export problems) I can FINALLY export and load my worlds! Yayyy... but... I think I'm experiencing some bugs.

I'm sorry if this problem has been fixed somewhere, but I haven't been able to uncover it doing internet searches. Zoom, and forward/backward are greyed out in town-view in game play. All I can do is rotate and this isolates my view a lot in-game and makes playing very awkward.
cameraprobs_zpsc84854c4.jpg

(Separate issue) This may or may not be a bug..? Everything in the distance looks like this.
underwaterhorizonbugN_zps8b436592.jpg
EDIT: Are these heat-waves? I haven't actually -played- Seasons yet, lol.
Update: Yes they are! Thanks, Alexspoom13, lol. I can't remember the last time I went to Egypt. ;P

I wonder if this is about my graphics card or something? I'm sorry, I know -nothing- about computers. ^^;

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz
RAM: 16GB
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 560MB . 3GB

Affected world files: All worlds I have successfully exported, installed and ran.
World file size: 52.5 MB
CC: Porphyria Pet Spawners http://modthesims.info/showpost.php?p=3673619&postcount=13 (Not used in wolds that still had exhibited the bugs.)
Symptoms: Cannot pan camera. Water affect applied to objects at a distance.

Expansion Packs: LN, WA, Amb, Pets, Generations, Supernatural, Seasons, HELS
CAW version: Downloaded and installed again yesterday, 2/21/2013 (I don't know what the version is. :oops: )

Thanks in advance for reading and for ANY help. :)
SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2013
    You have a lot of holes in you routing and everywhere you see broken lines in that picture is a hole where things like animals and sims can be spawned and get stuck. You cannot have any broken lines or the world will not be playable.

You want a wilderness world - well want some for living in I suggest Johnnywr - especially Great Bear - but his other worlds are also very wilderness like.

Want African wilderness - check out Nilxis last world which is a gorgeous African world.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• RhodalleRhodalle Posts: 52 Member
    edited June 2013
    I'm sorry for not offering a closer-up shot. Those big holes are actually painted non-routable.

As for the "broken lines," I could be wrong, but this is my understanding: The other hole is actually just a visual effect because I was zoomed out quite a lot. Sorry for not providing a more clear image. You are right that this thread (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=439329) said they were a problem but there's a disclaimer at the top now saying that it was found harmless. It's explained a little better here: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/gf9utr.

For all I know there's something I'm missing about the routing though, that's why I shared the screenshot. :)

I took a few more screenshots so you can have a better look:

simsnon-routable_zps6825ce3c.png
    (You have to be zoomed in to show the non-routable paint, I guess...)

zoomedin_zpse832a6a2.png
    zoomedout_zps0308107d.png

As for why I don't give up and use another world... I really like Great Bear and the other more rustic worlds out there, but they still have a lot of roads and are too urban for the world I want to play. "Wilderness" means no nicely paved roads, and hardly any gravel ones to me.
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg
    edited June 2013
    Well that is why I suggested Nilxis African world - he has no roads in there at all.

Also Elle has a world with no roads called Moon Valley - it was made to be more of a fairy tale type world - I use it for my fairies mainly - I wanted to use it for all the fantasy creatures, but unfortunately witches can't fly in a roadless world nor can aliens - but it works well for fairies and has a ton of horse trails.

I still think though those areas you have with irregular lines - even in the close up shots might be trouble spots when the game spawns in tourists and pets though. I know holes are big problems and can make a world unplayable - but I was told all those lines had to be uniformly connected or are a potential problem.

Perhaps there has been new info since I tried CAW which was a long time ago - I just now a days test creators worlds - but I do know you can get your best and most useful info over at modthesims CAW section with post by Simsample and Kiwi Tea and their group of CAW posters. No one knows more about the newest and best info on CAW than that group of simmers. Here usually Rflong and AuntieLynds are good help - but Rflong is leaving on vacation for a couple weeks - you might look up in Auntie Lynds faq or go over to her site and post and perhaps she can help guide you the right way. They are also very helpful over at modthesims.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited June 2013
    Totally agree, Ziwa Bonde is gorgeous and very "organic," just kindof flat. I just want something hilly/mountainous and that looks realistic as well. There aren't enough blank canvases good for creating one's own fantasy/mideival setting.

Do you know anything about the camera bug I am having? Are those ripples in the distance heat-waves? I haven't actually played Seasons, lol.
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    edited June 2013
    Rhodalle wrote:
    Totally agree, Ziwa Bonde is gorgeous and very "organic," just kindof flat. I just want something hilly/mountainous and that looks realistic as well. There aren't enough blank canvases good for creating one's own fantasy/mideival setting.

Do you know anything about the camera bug I am having? Are those ripples in the distance heat-waves? I haven't actually played Seasons, lol.

When you say you haven't played Seasons, do you mean it's installed but you haven't explored it or it just isn't installed? If it's the latter then you will still get those effects- providing the world has been designated a desert, which is why you'll find them in Egypt if you own World Adventures.
    edited June 2013
    When you say you haven't played Seasons, do you mean it's installed but you haven't explored it or it just isn't installed? If it's the latter then you will still get those effects- providing the world has been designated a desert, which is why you'll find them in Egypt if you own World Adventures.

Ohh, kay. Yes, Seasons is installed, but I haven't played it. Believe it or not, I have had WA forever, but I've never been to Egypt. I spend a lot more time making Sims and dinking with my creative side.

Good that means I have one actual supposed glitch to worry about.. the grayed out camera settings in town view whether I'm in a household or editing town...

And to Writin_Reg... I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful, but I have seen every world without roads as far as I know. I have played Ziwa Bonde, Great Bear and Moon Valley, but they are all either too developed, too flat, or painted like crazy with non-routable paint. Moon valley is lovely, I am crazy about the vistas, just felt confined when everywhere I clicked my Sim couldn't go.

I have already made my worlds, and know what I want. I just want to find out what's wrong with the camera so I can play and share them.

EDIT, EDIT: Ok, looks like I can post MTS now. In the help thread, it said I wasn't allowed to start a thread before but I think it's because I was inactive for a looooong time. I will have to bug MTS I s'pose. :)

Edit edit edit... I will ask the experts for confirmation about the routing, and perhaps I'll check back here with what they say so you and I will both know. :D
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg
    edited June 2013
    Thank you - that will be appreciated for sure.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• MistermoomanMistermooman Posts: 265 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I'm no expert, but I've been playing with CAW for a while, and I found that some routing lines actually go through the terrain, if it's too bumpy or something. I'm not sure if that applies here, but if you make terrain invisible, (View > Layers > Terrain) you might find the lines to be connected. I'm not sure though, but it does look like the lines are going under the terrain to me...
    edited June 2013
    Writin_Reg: NP! :) I made the post over on MTS, I'll be out for a while so you can go ahead and follow it here, in case it takes me a while to get back... http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=4171184&posted=1#post4171184.

...and I hope you didn't take my declining on the other worlds as contrarian, naturally, you wouldn't be able to know I had tried them all. If I ever get this world on on the exchange without issues, you'll be able to see what I'm going for firsthand. ^^

@ Mistermooman, yep, that's pretty much the theory going on there. I've raised the question on MTS so it can be confirmed. :D
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg
  • StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited June 2013
    Is the camera routing problem in EIG or in the exported world?
    Makes a difference when trying to think of what's going wrong.
    I can't see any camera routing paint used so there isn't an obvious limitations on camera movement.

As to the small patches where routing lines fade out. Not such a biggy.
    They run just under the surface. I usually use the smoothing brush to get rid of them.
    Sims passing over these areas will appear to sink into the ground, but they keep on going :wink:

The distortion in the distance?
    I don't have Seasons installed.
    I've only seen it in Egypt or in worlds where the INI files have been imported from Egypt.

P.S. I'm also building a road less builders world :)
    stellatorontosims.tumblr.com
    edited June 2013
    Is the camera routing problem in EIG or in the exported world?
    Makes a difference when trying to think of what's going wrong.
    I can't see any camera routing paint used so there isn't an obvious limitations on camera movement.

As to the small patches where routing lines fade out. Not such a biggy.
    They run just under the surface. I usually use the smoothing brush to get rid of them.
    Sims passing over these areas will appear to sink into the ground, but they keep on going :wink:

The distortion in the distance?
    I don't have Seasons installed.
    I've only seen it in Egypt or in worlds where the INI files have been imported from Egypt.

P.S. I'm also building a road less builders world :)

Agreed... The camera issue does not have to do with routing as far as we know. The routing questions are just one possible spectualtion. Glad you don't think those "broken" lines are an issue. I suspected that about the sinking into the ground actually, lol... I've seen it a bit in-game. I think for some ground texture I can tolerate a bit of that. :lol:

I have used the camera non-routable paint, and applied it smoothly around the entire perimeter of the world, except out on the beach. Yep, as mentioned earlier, this is only an issue when I load up the world in my game. Everything in CAW goes smoothly, and as far as I know EiG is working too.

The distortion issue is solved, yes it's heat-waves. I just haven't sent my Sims on vacations really, and I have never actually played Seasons yet. Too busy getting the right world built, hehe.

I would love to see how your world turns out! Do you have any pics of it up on the forum yet? Maybe we should start a thread JUST for worlds with no or few roads. Might be cool to see them all in one place.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg
  • StellaTorontoStellaToronto Posts: 2,123 Member
    edited June 2013
    I've been fascinated by the idea of getting rid of cars for awhile.
    Built several worlds on this principal.
    Never shared them because I never feel they're ever finished.
    I've learned a lot about the mechanics of playing without cars.
    I initially emptied out EA worlds to build on, but it's much more rewarding starting from scratch :)
    I'm actually considering sharing my latest world.
    I will probably start a thread soon.
    If you'd like to check out my world. I have a story set there in TSS Race Through Time: Jurassic
    Not too many worlds in the "no roads" club yet but we can't be the only ones interested :wink:
    stellatorontosims.tumblr.com
    edited June 2013
    Copied from MTS:

I figured it out. I have a confession. I've spent so much time researching modding that I haven't actually PLAYED in over a year. The camera is behaving normally, and I was just paranoid from previous problems with CAW and my CC, and expected everything to be broken, lol. I hope that doesn't seem too stupid... I feel stupid, LOL.

So there are no issues with my world, I can proceed to upload, I think.

Stella, that world is very pretty, and it -does- look quite real! I love your creative use of the dino meshes. I downloaded those too, knowing I had to find a use for something so cool, lol. I considered just some kind of museum, but they do make for a good Sim-story. :)

Once my world is done, and I have it uploaded, I think I'll start a thread for road-less worlds, if there isn't one already. Feel free to me know if you upload what you have! :)

SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg