Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lagging in the Live Broadcast!? NOT a good sign!

Did anyone else notice the lagging and jumping in the Live Broadcast? THIS was the computer the developers used for their own LB!!?? They only use the Base Game and the new expansion for their preview broadcasts! If THEIR computer can't handle the game's graphics with only Base and IP can you imagine how horrific the experience is going to be on OURS!?!! Holy crap! Not a good sign, fellow Simmers, NOT a good sign!

Comments

• Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited June 2013
    I have to agree. That was one of the biggest things I noticed. I kept checking to see if he paused it, just to be sure. I have a pretty good rig and I have actually noticed some lag since the patch came out, especially if I go into create a style. This has me worried because I do not like lag and I don't want to downgrade my settings.
  • deltagirl1326deltagirl1326 Posts: 468 Member
    edited June 2013
    I just assume that a company as huge as EA and a division as popular as The Sims would use a pretty powerful computer to demonstrate and market their product. That demo was with just the Base Game and Island Paradise installed! I have every EP, SP, all the worlds, and god only knows how much store and exchange stuff! After watching that I'm worried that the computer capable of running all of that hasn't even been created yet!
  • Goldenguy10Goldenguy10 Posts: 126 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I noticed it as well, and it is not a good thing to see this on a demo. It was especially choppy during the underwater segments.
    edited June 2013
    Goldenguy10 I replied to your post on another thread and it's why I started this thread. I think it may be why they cut out the under water portion in the replay of the demo. It was horrible!
  • simbilN99simbilN99 Posts: 273 Member
    edited June 2013
    Did anyone else notice the lagging and jumping in the Live Broadcast? THIS was the computer the developers used for their own LB!!?? They only use the Base Game and the new expansion for their preview broadcasts! If THEIR computer can't handle the game's graphics with only Base and IP can you imagine how horrific the experience is going to be on OURS!?!! Holy crap! Not a good sign, fellow Simmers, NOT a good sign!

Yes, that was the thing that threw me, other videos didn't have that issue; in less than a week will know for sure.
  • KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited June 2013
    I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. It may be they were having some connection/streaming problems on their end.
  • blinky47jblinky47j Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2013
    Crossing my fingers....I just bought a new laptop just to play the Sims.....
    edited June 2013
    Katnap wrote:
    I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. It may be they were having some connection/streaming problems on their end.

I disagree with this assumption. If it was a streaming problem you'd be able to notice it in the entire video and audio track—during the scuba segment.
  • TimWatson224TimWatson224 Posts: 442 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Maybe that's why they cut half out...??
  • KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited June 2013
    Katnap wrote:

I disagree with this assumption. If it was a streaming problem you'd be able to notice it in the entire video and audio track—during the scuba segment.

Not always. When I'm streaming something, I will often get little blips along the way. Now that my be my internet connection as well.

But my point was, there are several things that could have caused the lag without it being a problem with the game.
    edited June 2013
    Katnap wrote:

Not always. When I'm streaming something, I will often get little blips along the way. Now that my be my internet connection as well.

But my point was, there are several things that could have caused the lag without it being a problem with the game.

His cursor was moving seamlessly. He had to repeat interaction commands. But most tellingly, his nervous laughter while waiting for the lags was clear and uninterrupted. It's the game.
  • afpickrenafpickren Posts: 220 Member
    edited June 2013
    It IS a little unsettling. Hoping for the best though :P
    Origin ID: TitanSimmer
    Twitter: TitanSimmer
    Tumblr: TitanSimmer
  • frollo6060frollo6060 Posts: 295 Member
    edited June 2013
    Katnap wrote:

The demo cut off when they started to talk about sims 4.... So yes again it was their end
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited June 2013
    No, but I did notice some ghost images flickering briefly at the start of the official Island Paradise trailer. They have clean that up already. So you won't see the ghost images in the trailer anymore. :D
  • adventfearadventfear Posts: 1,766 Member
    edited June 2013
    One of the Seasons EP's live broadcasts did even worse. It lagged, froze, and even one time someone slid sideways across the floor to where they were supposed be like they were in that Tom Cruise movie.
    edited June 2013
    Katnap wrote:

His cursor was moving seamlessly. He had to repeat interaction commands. But most tellingly, his nervous laughter while waiting for the lags was clear and uninterrupted. It's the game.

Thank you, delta girl1326. This is exactly why it wasn't a streaming problem: it was during live gameplay because the cursor was moving smooth yet the graphics were not. There's no way you could edit something like that and make it look like it was in realtime.
  • AlisoxAlisox Posts: 1,640 Member
    edited June 2013
    Couldn't it have just been a hiccup? Things happen. My game crashes 3 times per year with no common connections I can see; errors just happen.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,392 Member
    edited June 2013
    Well hopefully if it was lag they can address it in an upcoming patch to make it more stable. Atleast they know about it.
    edited June 2013
    Alisox wrote:
    Couldn't it have just been a hiccup? Things happen. My game crashes 3 times per year with no common connections I can see; errors just happen.

Not a hiccup. It lagged throughout the demo and lagged and jerked the most during the underwater gameplay. I'm not concerned about things that just "happen." We've all dealt with crashes, glitches and lagging at some point in this series on OUR home computers. What concerns me is that we can all assume that the computer upon which EA and the Sims teams choose to present their new product to the world in hopes that we will buy it, could NOT handle the graphics with only the Base game and ONE expansion pack installed. That's not a little hiccup. It's a HUGE problem since most of us, with computers nowhere near the specs of those used by the EA and the Sims team, have so much more (EPs, SP, store and exchange items) installed. If they can't play it smoothly we definitely can't!
    edited June 2013
    I hope you are right, catloverplayer. I have high hopes for this EP, but I can see myself getting frustrated with that quality of gameplay.

I had to go back and watch it again, just to make sure I wasn't imagining it. Well, sure enough... the mermaid gets stuck in the pool WHILE the pool waterfall is still flowing. The diver, mermaid and shark get stuck quite a few times WHILE his exhaust bubbles are still floating to the surface. It seems to happen right after he executes the sim's actions, and Graham is clicking all over the place in a harried fashion, so that could be part of the problem. Almost like the game never has time to catch up.

Also, I noticed he uses his mouse for screen rotation—which looks like it's locking things up. I use my keyboard arrows (which rotates smoother, IMO), so i'm not use to seeing that either.

• sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited June 2013
    I noticed this too and I'm pretty sure it isn't from the graphics. It's most likely the loading of the world going on or an unroutable sim or something. If it was the graphics it wouldn't freeze for a second it would continually keep slowing including the cursor. Since the cursor didn't really move slowly then it is most likely a loading issue. I already experience this in my game so I know how it handles when it's like that.

However, it still isn't a good sign. If he only has the base game and IP installed then there has to be something wrong with the EP. Most likely the game is now outdated and the code isn't well put together. I also heard that the sim glitched out when wanting to use the chest?
    edited June 2013
    sam123 wrote:
    I I also heard that the sim glitched out when wanting to use the chest?

Yup! You should head to YouTube and view the broadcast. It was painful to watch! (And you'll get to see the squealing lead concept artist we're discussing on the other thread!) :D We've all had those laggy moments at some point and we know there are things we can adjust to fix it. But knowing that the game is already doing that right "out of the box" is truly disappointing!
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited June 2013
    sam123 wrote:
    I I also heard that the sim glitched out when wanting to use the chest?

Yup! You should head to YouTube and view the broadcast. It was painful to watch! (And you'll get to see the squealing lead concept artist we're discussing on the other thread!) :D We've all had those laggy moments at some point and we know there are things we can adjust to fix it. But knowing that the game is already doing that right "out of the box" is truly disappointing!

Oh, I watched it yesterday and I know what you guys mean about him haha! :shock:
    They cut out the underwater part so I couldn't see the glitched out section of the chest. :evil:
    edited June 2013
    sam123 wrote:

Oh, I watched it yesterday and I know what you guys mean about him haha! :shock:
    They cut out the underwater part so I couldn't see the glitched out section of the chest. :evil:

Oh! There's a new video up showing only the previously cut underwater section! Catlover? Can you help with a link? I have NO idea how to do that. sam123, there's another thread, older and may be on page 2 or even 3 by now, but it will take you to the new YouTube video so you can see the missing portion.
    edited June 2013
    Here goes nothing! Hope I do this right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEwSEmie_LQ