Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mermaids: The New Evidence

Just watched a show on the Discovery Channel (Mermaids: The New Evidence) that was a continuation of the mermaid "documentary" that aired a couple of years ago. Very compelling evidence and video. Catch it if you can.

Comments

• EmmaBarbieEmmaBarbie Posts: 5,836 Member
    edited June 2013
    I watched the body found on YouTube out of boredom, after a few days I found an article saying that the documentary, including the new evidence, was faked :S
    You're too late.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited June 2013
    The Documenatary on Animal Planet was faked. It made the news however I never saw the one on The Discovery Channel.
  • mia919mia919 Posts: 186 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Hahaha I watched "The Body Found" and "The New Evidence" a few weeks ago. Even though all of it was very obviously fake I was still slightly traumatized. Mermaids have been my favorite mythological creature since I was very young and these were scary!! I prefer the Disney kind, I'm glad they made mersims based on the non-scary variety of mermaids :mrgreen:

Edit: And also, what happened to Animal Planet and the Discovery Channel being educational? lol
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited June 2013
    Just because the AP Documentary was faked doesn't mean mermaids don't exist. A lot of the deeper oceans haven't been discovered yet and merms maybe able to cope with pressures far higher then humans.

Also the myth about sailers being lured to their deaths by sirens maybe true. We can't say it isn't.
  • mia919mia919 Posts: 186 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Just because the AP Documentary was faked doesn't mean mermaids don't exist. A lot of the deeper oceans haven't been discovered yet and merms maybe able to cope with pressures far higher then humans.

Also the myth about sailers being lured to their deaths by sirens maybe true. We can't say it isn't.

I'm with you there. And all the stories about fishermen finding fish out at sea with spears in them makes me wonder...
  • Yarber00Yarber00 Posts: 33 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I still think part of the documentary was true. My only concern is that the government is controlling the doc. Then we have a problem. The government has always tried to keep us in the dark about new things...

On the other hand, I am looking forward to having my sim be a mermaid!!! Im super pumped!
  • Dotty12344Dotty12344 Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2013
    All the people in it are actors you can find them on imdb if you look it up.There is someone on youtube claiming the first one Mermaids: The Body Found is real and everyone who is saying its fake is part of some government cover up.The disclaimer at the end of both says it is a work of fiction minus the sonar effects on whales and dolphins so.Discovery even said it was all fake.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited June 2013
    They had actors for the dramatic reenactments..... And at the end it said "some of this is fiction" not all. Which, I'm guessing means the CGI animations were fake.... We dont' have actual footage of a mermaid so we have to create what we think they look like.
  • miss_simlishmiss_simlish Posts: 460 Member
    edited June 2013
    Yarber00 wrote:
    I still think part of the documentary was true. My only concern is that the government is controlling the doc. Then we have a problem. The government has always tried to keep us in the dark about new things...

On the other hand, I am looking forward to having my sim be a mermaid!!! Im super pumped!

My brother-in-law is in the navy and I (jokingly) hassle him constantly about "hiding the truth" from us. :lol:

I realize that the documentary was faked, but I still enjoyed watching it. My fiancé drove me nuts the entire show saying how stupid it was but I like to believe that there maybe are mermaids. What's wrong with having a little wonder in the world and believing in something just for the sake of believing? :wink:

I definitely plan on experimenting on some mermaids to make them a little scary! Sure, Disney mermaids are nice, but I like Harry Potter mermaids better :twisted:

2zee6ph.jpg
    edited June 2013

I like Harry Potter mermaids better :twisted:

2zee6ph.jpg

I have to agree with you on that one! haha!
  • AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    edited June 2013
    I really enjoyed watching the mermaid documentary The Body Found. ^^ I knew it was fake before it started, but I still felt so convinced they are real! And my usually skeptical boyfriend actually discussed with me during documentary on how this could potentially be true. Most evidence they present in movie is really good, but there are obviously things that prove that mermaids may not exist (atleast not anymore) :/

Mermaids hunting with help of dolphins? Great! Realistic! But we never see this happen, therefore they're either moved on from this hunting style, or used to do so long ago before they ceased to exist.

Anyway, I believe that all fairy tales are based on true stories. Dragons, mermaids, witches etc some of it happened! It was just dramatacized later on by people to spice up the stories. Even vampires and werewolves could be very real, but it may be a sign of sickness/disease. Magical unexplained things happen, it doesn't mean they're all part of our imagination, what if its real and been seen?

Many different countries that were in no way communicated with each other has got stories of slightly different dragons, strange vamipiric creatures, and powerful witches/wizards. Pretty sure there are tales of mermaids as well!
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited June 2013

Catloverplayer has valid point. I want make a point to back up catloverplayer's point. Now we all know that dinosaurs use to live on our planet because of their fossilized remains. But what if that fossil was fake? Does this mean that dinosaurs never lived on our planet before us? No, It only proves that dinosaur fossil was fake. So just because what you saw of mermaids on TV was proven to be fake doesn't prove that mermaids never existed at all. It only proves that mermaid evidence was fake, and nothing more. :D
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited June 2013
    I hear what you guys are saying but I'm not so sure. You might want to catch this new one - there is video and it's pretty interesting. There's video of something in Israel, there's video of some kind of spear/deep sea fishing and video from off the coast of Greenland. Oh! And a picture from PT Barnum that was recently unearthed. It was the whole mermaid thing that first catapulted Barnum to fame. Crazy that he's still making the news! Very interesting stuff.

Oh - and to keep it Sims related - if that's what mermaids truly look like, I'm having no problem with the appearance of the ones in the game! lol
  • wolffriendinuswolffriendinus Posts: 94 Member
    edited June 2013
    I watched that mermaid show, and found it really interesting. Even my dad watched it and I never thought in a million years I'd be able to convince him to lol.

I also watched, a few days before this, the show about the scientists trying to get footage of the Giant Squid. Not sure if this was real or not, but if it was, then they actually got the first ever video footage of the giant squid...while they were in a submersible watching for it. I think it was on discovery too. Part of their monster week they did.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited June 2013
    Not everyone hopes mermaids are real:

http://youtu.be/aEwZwlQB924
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • kirbydeekirbydee Posts: 123
    edited June 2013
    it was fun to watch. yes, it is fake. or maybe the navy just wants us to think it's fake?! jk it's fake. at the end of it is a disclaimer that says the events are fictional minus the whale beaching and sonar connection. i would have missed it if A- my bf hadn't clued me in to it being a fake so i was drawn to the word fictional as the text blazed across the screen and B- my mom was so mad it was fake and she was like "why wouldn't they say that?!" so i had to rewind, pause, and make her read it to calm her down lol
    edited June 2013
    I also watched, a few days before this, the show about the scientists trying to get footage of the Giant Squid. Not sure if this was real or not, but if it was, then they actually got the first ever video footage of the giant squid...while they were in a submersible watching for it. I think it was on discovery too. Part of their monster week they did.

pretty sure the giant squid thing was real, i don't remember seeing any disclaimer on that one that said it was fake but i was pretty sleepy when i watched it lol that was also interesting and i think it's on netflix still? check it out peeps
  • Dotty12344Dotty12344 Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2013
    they have a couple of different documentaries for giant squid which are interesting if you are into that kind of thing.
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    edited June 2013
    kirbydee wrote:

pretty sure the giant squid thing was real, i don't remember seeing any disclaimer on that one that said it was fake but i was pretty sleepy when i watched it lol that was also interesting and i think it's on netflix still? check it out peeps

The new show has no disclaimers, nor is any of it staged - it's strictly interviews and video footage. At the end, the show states that Iceland (I think that's country) has called a halt to all off-shore drilling on the basis of the video from the Greenland area. I'm telling ya... there's something to all this.
    edited June 2013
    Dotty12344 wrote:
    they have a couple of different documentaries for giant squid which are interesting if you are into that kind of thing.
    There is, and one of them feature a group of people on a boat. The people were looking for the gigantic squid off the coast of the Baja Of Mexico. I think that's where the Gurus for Island Paradise got the idea of putting the gigantic squid in IP. :D
    edited June 2013
    At the end of Mermaids: The New Evidence, a disclaimer read, "Though certain events in this film are fictional, Navy sonar tests have been directly implicated in whale beachings."

Read more: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/mermaid-hoax-mermaids-the-new-evidence-special-sets-ratings-record-for-animal-planet--2013305#ixzz2WPvwIK70
    Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

Regardless, I still like to believe they exist. I also think they're probably cranky and cold-hearted and would stab ya with a spear quicker than look at ya ;) But it'd be sweet if they were real.
    edited June 2013
    kirbydee wrote:
    At the end of Mermaids: The New Evidence, a disclaimer read, "Though certain events in this film are fictional, Navy sonar tests have been directly implicated in whale beachings."

Read more: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/mermaid-hoax-mermaids-the-new-evidence-special-sets-ratings-record-for-animal-planet--2013305#ixzz2WPvwIK70
    Follow us: @usweekly on Twitter | usweekly on Facebook

Regardless, I still like to believe they exist. I also think they're probably cranky and cold-hearted and would stab ya with a spear quicker than look at ya ;) But it'd be sweet if they were real.
    If you want to believe that they do exist that's your choice. This is just one those cases, like big foot or UFO's. Some people claim that they do exist, and they say that they have proof to back up their claim. I want to believe that mermaids do exist, but I have no proof that can't be faked. But a large portion of our own world has yet to be explored. So who knows what we'll find. :D
    edited June 2013
    sunman502 wrote:
    If you want to believe that they do exist that's your choice. This is just one those cases, like big foot or UFO's. Some people claim that they do exist, and they say that they have proof to back up their claim. I want to believe that mermaids do exist, but I have no proof that can't be faked. But a large portion of our own world has yet to be explored. So who knows what we'll find. :D

Truth
  • TheDarkCynderTheDarkCynder Posts: 24
    edited June 2013
    Mermaids don't exist; there's no real evidence that would lead to that claim.

[/opinion]
  • cameonet1950cameonet1950 Posts: 2,138 Member
    edited June 2013
    If these documentaries and videos are truly “FAKE” then SHAME ON the Discovery and the Animal Planet channels and ALL involved! They do tend to suck us in with outrageous and lame programming anyway so I wouldn’t put it past them to conjure up something as elaborate and outrageous as this. Given today’s technological ability to modify/enhance videos, I’m not surprised one bit if all of it IS fake for the sake of the almighty dollar! Pathetic but extremely well done! Some of it was rather compelling and somewhat convincing but I’m still not convinced that it was genuine. Wonder how much it cost them in the end and if they actually made a profit from it?

With that, I’m glad that our Sims Mermaids don’t look anything like these so called “real” ones cuz they’re quite UGLY. Regardless of what others might feel about OUR mermaids, I think they look great.
    TS3Siggy.jpg