Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Troubleshooting CAW Issues

So sorry if this is out of place but I am exhausted from trying to get this to work and I have actually sacrificed sleep for the last two weeks trying to learn all this...

First off, I know I need to take out my mods, and I know I'm starting with a CC Magic question, but I'm sure another world builder in here uses it and I may get a quicker response, so I'll just throw it out there: (Question 1) My world is showing up in CC Magic even though I installed and uninstalled with the launcher... what does that mean? I just deleted it... I hope that was the right thing to do.

On to the general issue:

I'm having the issues with exporting from CAW, like so many others, and I'm troubleshooting problems. After doing some research and finding out that CAW basically is borked and you have to jump through all kinds of hoops, I'm clearing caches. Also putting my Mods folder with my Nraas mods and default replacements on my desktop for now. I'm going to disable all mods in CC Magic... but why is it seeing a world that isn't in any of my Sims 3 folders, in my launcher or game in any way..?

If taking out mods, clearing caches and all that doesn't work,(Question 2)how do I find an older version of CAW to use that works good? I will just use a different computer with an old version of CAW and only the necessary mods for compatibility's sake and I can add in stuff later.

Pet spawners are in the edit in game part of CAW, so I guess I'd like a Pets compatible version to try exporting with. Anyone just use a non-updated pets version of CAW and can report it working well?

(Question 3) Can I edit a world I made in this version of CAW and continue fixing it and go on to export it with a more reliable, older version on a different computer Supposing I have no expansion pack trees, objects in it, of course.
SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg

Comments

• Options
    auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited June 2013
    Well, let's see.

I don't use cc magic, so can't help on that score .

The export issue may be simple to clear up. Have you tried removing your DCCache folder?
    Here's some info on it: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=501049

Try this, and if it doesn't work we'll try something else. You can get the caw installers for earlier versions of caw at http://cawster.wordpress.com/ but, I'm not sure that will solve your problem.
  • Options
    RhodalleRhodalle Posts: 52 Member
    edited June 2013
    Thank you for the link and advice! I guess I'll just keep winging it with CC Magic...

The DDCache thing was a step I'd heard mentioned but haven't gone down the research road on it yet, but I appreciate that it's necessary, and I'll check that out and promise to get back to you with what I achieve. :)

To export a world with even one tree in it, I have to put the world on my desktop to export in CAW. I wonder if that causes it's own problems, moving the world file and leaving other folders related to it in the CAW files...?

Edited: I can export and install nearly blank worlds in early stages of development, but there's issues, and I don't think it's just because they are unfinished but I don't know.. like the horizon line and distant things rippling like they are underwater. I also can't pan my camera town view. Might be because I didn't add un-routable paint yet, though.

In your experiences with CAW, do you recall these problems and were they more associated with DDCache, or something else?

So you don't think it's a bug only with the latest CAW causing issues? Edit: I see what you are saying after doing more research. :) Buggy is just what it is, lol, that's sad. Did I read high end computers can complicate stuff? I'm on an Asus G74 16 gig machine. Maybe I can try it on my husband's more average computer just to see what happens.

I'm so sorry for all the questions,you don't have to answer them all of course. I know little about how games work and computer files, so I'm just trying to grasp an understanding of causes and affects.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2013
    When you said you deleted the world but still see it - - you can't remove a world by deleting it - you have to uninstall it from the game. Hunt through your "installed content" in the launcher and uninstall it. That is the only way to remove it I know of.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited June 2013
    That is a good point Writin_Reg. Though what I actually said was "My world is showing up in CC Magic even though I installed and uninstalled with the launcher." :) I think what's going on is CC Magic makes it's own duplicate... I'll take questions about that to a mod site, just hoped someone in here used it with CAW since these issues are so mixed up together.

Auntielynds, you are awesome for your swift response and helpfulness, and I'll get back to you ASAP as to how removing the DCcache etc. worked for me. Taking time to read and do it right.

Just getting rid of my mods didn't help, lol.
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Sorry for double post!

Okay I took a look at the thread you linked, Auntielynds....

In there you said: "...If you get a good export, then you know the problem was with your DCCache folder. At this point you'll need to reinstall all your store stuff, and cc you want in your game."

I'm quite hesitant to remove the DCCache if I have to reinstall all sims 3 packs... Though this process does sound promising... I don't know how CC-Magic will be affected, as it moves and reads them, not to mention the hassle after all the research it took to get it right that I've already forgotten, lol... I could end up with a mess of duplicates and arrrg!

This is why I'm thinking that making worlds on this computer, and moving the files to a secondary computer with a clean and simple version of sims with no CC uploaded would be less of a headache and safer. At least then I could troubleshoot issues without worrying I'd mess up the CC in my main game.

Can my files in this CAW work fine in another? How likely is it that they'll be corrupt from being built in this version of CAW? The speed is nice when working in 3D software but I can forego that to make my world.

Edit: Here's pics for fun. As you can see, it's simple as far as objects and clutter go, but it's big as far as routing. I strategically placed a patch of grass here and there to make sure the routing was busy. No spawners or trails yet. This is to be a rugged wilderness world. Maybe someone out there wants to finish this and upload it because I'm getting close to giving up on CAW for now....

wildernessworld4_zps4488f3eb.png
    wildernessworld3_zps816afa6f.png
    SigLav_zpsnefshzbc.jpg