Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Graphics card, things I didn't know...

I was reading this post because I will eventually have to update my computer and like seeing what issues or such others are having. Then I saw the link about the graphics card on MTS here. Not to mention I've been having a heck of time with my games as of late. Mostly involving store items disappearing from game, but other little bugs as well.

So I'm always wanting to make sure I cross my "t's" and dot my "i's". I also know there was a newer update not to long ago on my driver. Well would you know: (see area highlight in blue)

=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): AMD Radeon HD 6570M/5700 Series
Name (database): AMD Radeon HD 6570M/5700 Series [Found: 0, Matched: 1]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 68c0, Board: 392717aa, Chipset: 0000
Driver: aticfx32.dll, Version: 8.17.10.1191, GUID: D7B71EE2-2B80-11CF-BD70-2D19BEC2C535
Driver version: 1191
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1

My question: Should I go ahead and follow the instructions on the MTS? Will these get fixed on the upcoming patch and just wait until then?

I try and keep my game and computer updated and running the best that I can and hoping to make my laptop last for a little bit longer (though we are looking for a larger HD as I'm running out of space. Hoping for 500GB SSD drives to come down in price a bit). Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited June 2013
    That line saying Found: 0. Means you have one of the newer cards that is not listed in the GraphicCards.sgr file.

This may be updated in the new patch. We will need to see when it arrives.

It isn't hard to fix manually though. You will need the device id as well. You can see the device I'd in the text you pasted. It is two lines below the line you highlighted in blue.

Unfortunately I'm on my phone at work and would prefer to look at my own computer before telling you how to fix it. But I think you already may have found instructions yourself.

The thing you will also need to know is that wou will have to add 0x to the front of your device id when updating the GraphicCards.sgr file

You don't need to change the other sgr file because your card is matched.

That blue line of yours says Matched: 1. That means you don't have to fix that bit.
  • becomingjennbecomingjenn Posts: 3,942 Member
    edited June 2013
    Thank you for your help. Has EA patched these items before? Just curious if it's better to wait for the next patch or what.

Now gotta to figure out what I need to do.
  • PurpleRosesPurpleRoses Posts: 3,796 Member
    edited June 2013
    They do update the list. The last time it was updated was in January I think? I might be wrong about that. I would definitely wait till the patch comes. People are predicting tomorrow, so hopefully you won't have to wait too long to check.

Even if it isn't, it's pretty simple. I mean, I had to have help with mine because my pudding brain has the inability to comprehend things sometimes, but it was pretty simple once it comes down to it. : D
    edited June 2013
    If it isn't causing you major issues I'd wait a couple of days to see if it is fixed in the patch.

If you do find you have to make the change yourself, at least the file that you will need to change is not as complicated as the other file.
    edited June 2013
    Karritz wrote:
    If it isn't causing you major issues I'd wait a couple of days to see if it is fixed in the patch.

If you do find you have to make the change yourself, at least the file that you will need to change is not as complicated as the other file.

Thanks all, my husband fixed it so much faster than I could. I kind of feel bad about having him do it, but he does understand the tech a bit quicker than I do. I kind of got left behind on computer tech after the pentium II lol.

Maybe this will help with the freeze crashes I've been having. And for me, I wait just a wee bit longer for the patches until NRaas updates his mods.
    edited June 2013
    Hello again. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Word is that the patch won't be out until next week.

And the other thing is that apparently it is possible for that Matched: 1 you have could be incorrect. Apparently it could be matching a different driver.

The fact that one or both of your sgr files need updating could be contributing to the freezing and crashing you are experiencing.

Do you want to wait another week for the patch and hope it fixes this problem? Or do you want to go ahead and fix it yourself now?
    edited June 2013
    Karritz wrote:
    Hello again. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Word is that the patch won't be out until next week.

And the other thing is that apparently it is possible for that Matched: 1 you have could be incorrect. Apparently it could be matching a different driver.

The fact that one or both of your sgr files need updating could be contributing to the freezing and crashing you are experiencing.

Do you want to wait another week for the patch and hope it fixes this problem? Or do you want to go ahead and fix it yourself now?

Thank you. Yeah I saw that, I'm not sure if I'm relieved that the patch is coming later than sooner. I do think my husband was thorough in his fixing the issue last night and I do think he indeed updated both files. He also said he did something else so that that game take great advantage of the full system I have (it was late and I was super sleepy and he lost me) because I think there was also something linked there too.

edited June 2013
    Oh, just wanted to add (just for informational purposes as well) that the game was not recognizing the processor as well. That was the other thing my husband fixed.
    My husband was as baffled as I in why it was not recognized.

My game was running so much smoother and I'm glad. :mrgreen:
  • DawnLBrownDawnLBrown Posts: 9,193 Member
    edited June 2013
    I'm sure Karritz will be interested, I'll make sure she reads this.

Just FYI, you do know what you have to do about your edited sgr files when you install a patch or EP, right?
    edited June 2013
    DawnLBrown wrote:
    I'm sure Karritz will be interested, I'll make sure she reads this.

Just FYI, you do know what you have to do about your edited sgr files when you install a patch or EP, right?

Um not really...glad you mentioned this. Would this include for the processor files as well?
  • DawnLBrownDawnLBrown Posts: 9,193 Member
    edited June 2013
    I would probably include the processor file too.

Did you make copies of the original files before you edited them? The procedure asked that you do so, renaming them to *.orig files. And place them in a safe place. Also, that you make copies of the edited files and place them in a safe place.

So what you do prior to install is take the *.orig files, make a copy of them on your Desktop. Rename them back to *.sgr files. Copy them to the bin directory so that you have originals there again.

Install the patch or EP.

Now, you can take the copies of the edited *.sgr files that you stored and place them back on top of the original *.sgr files in the bin directory.

That's it. If you don't do this, you'll probably get an invalid files found message during install.