Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sending duplicate gifts?

I'm kind of new to gifting things since I just started collecting simpoints the from the promotion, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. :P

I was just wondering, what happens if I try to gift someone an item they already own? The person I want to gift has a lot of store content and I'm not sure if they have certain items or not.

Comments

• SchweighsrSchweighsr Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited June 2013
    You can't gift someone something they already own. As far as I know you can only gift from a Wishlist and objects that are owned are automatically marked on the WL as soon as they are purchased.

However Store Objects can be 'stolen'... [This is bad and I hope I don't get banned for just mentioning it] Then you could end up giving someone something they have but only because they 'stole' it.
  • melissam311554melissam311554 Posts: 824 Member
    edited June 2013
    If you're thinking of giving someone an item from their wishlist, items they buy or are given are automatically removed from their wishlist (the person whose wishlist it is can still see it, but it's hidden for everyone else). You can gift someone an item randomly without it being on their wishlist -- you instead go to the item page, choose "gift this item" and fill in the name of the person you want to give.

If you're gifting random items, I'm not so sure on any measures to stop you gifting an item they already own (I'd imagine there is something to stop it, though). There's also the risk that they'd have, for example, the Show Stopping Styles collection and The Hypnotizer bought separately. If you tried to gift the Seeing Stars set the site would allow you to do it no problem because it doesn't know that your friend owns the composite items -- all it checks for is whether your friend has the exact thing you're intending to gift.
  • TigMagickTigMagick Posts: 1,661 Member
    edited June 2013
    Well it can be complicated normaly no. But some sets the individual items don't show as owned. That is only a few. But if say they have a compilation that can still be gifted or buy any set in the comp b/c they don't own it....

But if that happens you or they can request a refund.
    Good for you for gifting.

Edit: for auto correct. Posting via cell phone is time consuming
  • riniraerinirae Posts: 3,916 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Thank you guys! Helps a lot!