Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Contest Idea Thread - Come Host an IDEA! - Up to Date 9/18

klb685klb685 Posts: 3,388 Member
ideabanner.png

Hello and welcome to the Contest Ideas thread!

Do you have an idea for a contest but aren't sure if the community would hop on board?
Maybe you have some contest inspiration but you're not up to hosting.
Perhaps you'd just like to know the ins and out of contest hosting and participating.
Want to start a contest but just don't know where to start?

Well you've come to the right place!
Come post your contest ideas! Start a contest with an "Up for Grabs" idea!

Post Two contains a list of ideas that have been thrown onto the table. Some are in need of input, others are up for grabs!
In Post Three, you'll find a variety of helpful links designed to guide you along your merry way.

Comments

• klb685klb685 Posts: 3,388 Member
    edited September 2013
    ideadiscussion.png

Ideas? We've got them right here!

Contests

Build:
    Eco-Friendly GreenCats wants to host. Needs feedback.
    Basecamp Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Tourist Venue Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    EA Pre-Made Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Family Homes Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Apartments Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Look A-Likes HadesDragoness has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Art Museums Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Boardwalks InvisibleLyndz has an IDEA up for grabs
    Vacation Homes Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Smallest Build CON1468 has an idea. Needs input.
    Resorts Marcelorojas11 has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Diving Lot Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Build a Set SALTPASTILLEN has an idea. Needs input and a co-host.

CAS:
    Music Shuffle Jabwarrior1 has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Themed Household Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Mr./Ms. Sim Universe Blacksheba1973 has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Grease Characters Ra345 has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Children GreenCats has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Gender Swap sunsetsorbet has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Outerwear Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    From Your Closet Sunsetsorbet has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Genetics Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    The Lorax [url=http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/195/684216.page#11153054[/url]4eee5[/url] has an IDEA up for grabs!

Picture:
    Landscape Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!

Recolor:
    Maternity Clothes sunsetsorbet has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Toddler Clothes Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Ugly Outfit Remake Smashbridges20 has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Furniture Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    The Look for Less Sunsetsorbet has an IDEA up for grabs!

Lotteries
    Clean Wish List Anette has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Meaningless Words Smashbridges20 has an IDEA up for grabs!

Games
    Gambling DangerDanger wants to host. Needs feedback.
    Jeopardy Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Quiz Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Horse Race readreadreadread has an IDEA up for grabs!

Stories
    Story from an Outline HadesDragoness has an IDEA up for grabs!

Other
    Custom Art Anette has an IDEA up for grabs!
    GG World Readreadreadread has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Lottery Entry Type Anette has an IDEA up for grabs! More info here
    Unbiased Judging Katieeee has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Graduation Race Anettesb has an IDEA up for grabs[/url]
    Monopoly Worldminnie64 has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Trait Picture Blythelyre has an IDEA up for grabs!
    Charm School knh330 wants to host. Needs feedback.

Ideas that have come to fruition!
    Mayray
    Hello83433
    Sunsetsorbet's idea with Ernesat.
    klb685
    Shrill's idea with DangerDanger and Envi.
    Nerdy3000
    Katieeee
    loobylou1985
    Anettesb
    Blythelyre
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited July 2013
    helpwk.png

Helpful Links

Resources

How to Host a Contest
    Hosting a contest is hard work! It takes a lot of time to set it up and tons of dedication to see it through until the end. You'll find some useful information in this thread if you're new to contest hosting or would just like to brush up on your skills.

How to Set Up a Contest
    Quick "how to" about starting up a contest of your own.

Active Contest/Lottery Directory
    A listing of the currently active contests that are happening in GG. If you're looking to avoid starting the 6th of a certain type of contest here would be the place to search. Also a good resource to find a lull in contest dates so that yours might be more active.

Unfinished Contests
    Sometimes things happen and hosts aren't able to close their contests as planned. Real life does get in the way of fun - darn it! Other times hosts shirk their responsibilities for different reasons. Think of this thread as a "What NOT to Do" tool.

Successful Contests
    Scan through some of these and take a look at how they're laid out. They have clearly written rules and guidelines; designated posts for each topic: introduction, rules, prizes, entries, winners, etc.; and plenty of encouragement and follow up by the hosts.
    Oregon Trail - Game
    Squeaky Clean Wish List - Lottery
    Perfect Home, Perfect World - Build
    One a Day Poetry Contest - Other

Other Useful Things
    How to make a hyperlink. Very useful when combined with linking directly to posts for writing up your contest entry list.
    How to link directly to a post. Very useful when combined with hyperlinking for writing up your contest entry list.
    Custard for CC scanning. Useful for checking if there is CC in contest entries.

edited June 2013
    Reserved
    edited June 2013
    Reserved
    edited June 2013
    I'm currently scouring the forum for useful links. And need some successful contest examples if anyone wants to offer one up.

Any other input is greatly appreciated.
    Thread: OPEN!
  • anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited June 2013
    oh... I writ up an idea or 2 and find you some links after
    - dinner
    - bath
    - gifting flash mob
    - talking to my newbie (if she writs back this evening)

so it might not be until tomorrow.....
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Hello83433Hello83433 Posts: 3,403 Member
    edited June 2013
    im thinking of opening a recolor contest soon... input appreciated, looking to opeen at about maybe June 15... (The day after graduation)
    403046191195314s.jpg
  • mayraymayray Posts: 1,426 Member
    edited June 2013
    Thanks for creating this klb685!

I'd like to official throw my hat into this.
    I've had the idea of hosting a contest for a while now but I feel like I lack the knowledge to pull it off the way I would like to and I'm not sure if this idea has already been done already. SO any help or ideas would be great or if someone wants to take it and run with it, I would be thrilled.

Pretty much I've been thinking of a 2 part contest. 1st part is to make a ghost sim. (I would prefer people make a sim and then kill it and post the pics) the 2nd phase would be to build a house they can haunt.

Thanks again
    edited June 2013
    The first "idea" participants!

Anette, I can't wait to see what you come up with for us all. You've got such the creative mind I'm sure your ideas will be fantastic.

Hello, what sort of recolors? I know that there are lots of people who spend hours in CAS getting the colors and patterns on things just right. A "terrible" outfit contest might be fun. Or recoloring the furniture in a specific room. You could build a "box" house and use base game furniture (that isn't recolored) and then leave it up to your contestants to recolor it but it has to be a theme. Like, one person could theme it outer space, another could go with western, or oriental.

MayRay, cool idea! It might be easier if you only did one part at a time (totally up to you though, obviously). Making a house specifically to be haunted sounds fun.
    edited June 2013
    klb685 wrote:
    The first "idea" participants!
    Hello, what sort of recolors? I know that there are lots of people who spend hours in CAS getting the colors and patterns on things just right. A "terrible" outfit contest might be fun. Or recoloring the furniture in a specific room. You could build a "box" house and use base game furniture (that isn't recolored) and then leave it up to your contestants to recolor it but it has to be a theme. Like, one person could theme it outer space, another could go with western, or oriental.

I like the box one! How big do you think it should be? Bigger than a 6X6?
    403046191195314s.jpg
    edited June 2013
    Hello83433 wrote:
    klb685 wrote:
    <snipped>

I'd give the contestants plenty of room to work with though a smaller room would add to the challenge if they wanted to rearrange things. You'd also need to decide if they could add items (obviously none taken away) to add to their theme. And whether they can add windows/doors/walls/half walls (etc.) or if you would have those things already in place and nothing can be moved or added.
  • mayraymayray Posts: 1,426 Member
    edited June 2013
    klb685 wrote:

MayRay, cool idea! It might be easier if you only did one part at a time (totally up to you though, obviously). Making a house specifically to be haunted sounds fun.

Thanks, it's sad that something so obvious didn't come to my mind hehe, but that would make it a lot easier on me.

I'm also a little worried that people would get freaked out if I asked them to kill their sim. Sometimes my brain can be a little too sadistic for the rest of the world.
    edited June 2013
    klb685 wrote:
    Hello83433 wrote:
    klb685 wrote:
    <snipped>

I'd give the contestants plenty of room to work with though a smaller room would add to the challenge if they wanted to rearrange things. You'd also need to decide if they could add items (obviously none taken away) to add to their theme. And whether they can add windows/doors/walls/half walls (etc.) or if you would have those things already in place and nothing can be moved or added.

I would allow them to add things, and yeah i wouldn't allow them to take stuff away... hmmmm i think a 6X6 would be the smallest with a 10X10 being the biggest. They would have to make sure it is completely accessible and windows + doors= definite :) Thx for the help, if anything else comes up, post it and i might take it.

OR what if i gave them a blank room...
    403046191195314s.jpg
    edited June 2013
    mayray wrote:
    klb685 wrote:

Thanks, it's sad that something so obvious didn't come to my mind hehe, but that would make it a lot easier on me.

I'm also a little worried that people would get freaked out if I asked them to kill their sim. Sometimes my brain can be a little too sadistic for the rest of the world.

If I entered your contest, I'd have to make a sim just for it. There's no way I could bring myself to off a sim I'm attached to! :shock: It could make for some cool pictures. You could have it as the same contest but a person wouldn't have to enter both parts perhaps. Or provide the ghost for them and give the participants some background info on your ghost (family) so that they could design the perfect lot for them to haunt.
    edited June 2013
    Hello83433 wrote:
    klb685 wrote:
    <snipped>

I would allow them to add things, and yeah i wouldn't allow them to take stuff away... hmmmm i think a 6X6 would be the smallest with a 10X10 being the biggest. They would have to make sure it is completely accessible and windows + doors= definite :) Thx for the help, if anything else comes up, post it and i might take it.

OR what if i gave them a blank room...

A blank room could be cool. I just know you mentioned it being a recolor contest that's why I threw out having it prefurnished. Blank means more options for your contestants though!
    edited June 2013
    Great! I think i'm set! Just one more question, what prize values would you put in to start off the contest?
    403046191195314s.jpg
  • tkbluebasketballtkbluebasketball Posts: 4,495 Member
    edited June 2013
    Idea for the Recolor! Like having a whole house just like black and white and so they have to recolor it to make it more pretty!! Or Have like a whole house rainbow colors and not matching and just recolor it to make it matching and looking nice! Just an Idea(:
    edited June 2013
    Cool idea, Tk.
    Hello83433 wrote:
    Great! I think i'm set! Just one more question, what prize values would you put in to start off the contest?

Prize values aren't as important as you'd think. A fun contest is better than a high point contest. Offer up what you can, even if that means recommendations. If your contest looks fun and if you're being a good sport, sponsors might come along - but don't count on them. Just put up a "Sponsors Welcome" on your thread title.

You can go searching through some contests to see about setting one up. The different posts you'll need: Greeting, Objective, Rules, Prizes, Entries, Winners ... and anything else applicable. Oh! And a link to your "box", of course. If you'd like, I can go through and find you some well set up contests.

Edit: Here's a good set up - it's for modeling so you'd need to adjust it for a build/cas contest. HERE
    And here's a good build one. HERE
    edited June 2013
    klb685 wrote:
    Cool idea, Tk.
    Hello83433 wrote:

Prize values aren't as important as you'd think. A fun contest is better than a high point contest. Offer up what you can, even if that means recommendations. If your contest looks fun and if you're being a good sport, sponsors might come along - but don't count on them. Just put up a "Sponsors Welcome" on your thread title.

You can go searching through some contests to see about setting one up. The different posts you'll need: Greeting, Objective, Rules, Prizes, Entries, Winners ... and anything else applicable. Oh! And a link to your "box", of course. If you'd like, I can go through and find you some well set up contests.

Edit: Here's a good set up - it's for modeling so you'd need to adjust it for a build/cas contest. HERE

oh ok..we'll tune in next Saturday(maybe sooner) :)
    403046191195314s.jpg
  • sunsetsorbetsunsetsorbet Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited June 2013
    Here was my idea for an "EPA brownfield site" building contest.

I would want contestants to be able to use any EP, SP, or store content, so it would be best if there was a host and judge who owned more than I do. I could only judge off screenshots, and it's hard to capture everything in a screenshot.
    My SimblrMy ShowcaseMy StudioMy Page
    tumblr_inline_ncxfq7fK9U1t2rf78.png
    (no ts3 wishlist, because I own the store)
    edited June 2013
    Hello83433 wrote:
    oh ok..we'll tune in next Saturday(maybe sooner) :)

Awesome! Taking you off of the "need ideas" list then. :wink:
  • sunsetsorbetsunsetsorbet Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited June 2013
    I also had an idea for a maternity wear re-color contest. Here is the list of maternity clothing I made in preparation.

Without mods, you can set your sims maternity wear by having them change into something that is maternity friendly before they start to show.
    My SimblrMy ShowcaseMy StudioMy Page
    tumblr_inline_ncxfq7fK9U1t2rf78.png
    (no ts3 wishlist, because I own the store)
    edited June 2013
    Sunsetsorbet that's an awesome idea! I put you in the 2nd post. I think there was once a "green home" contest (like a year ago). I'll see if I can find that to help whomever picks up your idea.

:oops: I accidentally posted this in your thread but the bump might bring some more attention to it.
  • ShrillShrill Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited June 2013
    A mini-game idea I've had, that I might actually do when I have some time but I'd be happy for anyone else to take it on:

Like the game Guess Who, where the host puts up a bunch of Sims faces with similar & different physical features.

The host picks one but doesn't tell anyone. People playing then ask things like "Are they male or female?" "Do they have blue eyes?" and the host eliminates the pictures according to the answers. Entrants can guess the sim at any time, but if they get it wrong they're out of the game (or maybe a couple of lives depending on how popular it is/strict you want to be).

Anyway, it's just an initial thought I had this afternoon, but I thought I'd mention it in this wonderful new thread!
    edited June 2013
    Here was my idea for an "EPA brownfield site" building contest.

I would want contestants to be able to use any EP, SP, or store content, so it would be best if there was a host and judge who owned more than I do. I could only judge off screenshots, and it's hard to capture everything in a screenshot.

Green Home contest. Successful ran if someone needs inspiration for hosting.