The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Pets & Weather should be PRE-included now - Discussion Thread

1235...Next

Comments

• yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited June 2013
    I agree. Pets and weather should be a part of the base game. If they add farm animals too then I will be so ecstatic! :mrgreen:
  • sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited June 2013
    Could you please quote the post where someone said they despise animals and don't want them in the game? I must have missed that post. Sad to see people being called names because they don't agree with you. (What else is new?)
    WLfAA9V.png
  • pam4402003pam4402003 Posts: 999 Member
    edited June 2013
    This is kind of a tough one. We want an amazing looking game... but we want to be able to run it on any old machine. I wish that were possible but I just don't think we can really have both. Up to date specs are kind of a must and for a game as graphically intense as the Sims ALREADY is I think you almost HAVE to have a decent gaming rig to run it. Games are a luxury item and if I have to upgrade my rig to run them well, I kind of consider that part of the cost of playing those games. EA has the unenviable task of balancing making a game that those who do have gaming rigs won't sneer at and complain that it's dumbed down vs those who feel whatever rig they currently have should be good enough to get the best performance possible out of the game. They have to figure out the magic formula that's going to make them the most money from both camps, computer "snobs" (like me, lol) who consider upgrades just part of playing games in the first place, and those who either can't or won't spend considerable cash keeping their computers completely "up to date." Don't get me wrong, I WANT everybody to be able to play the Sims! But I think that, at a certain point, we have to accept that getting the game we really want means we also have to have the machines to run it.

I agree with having to upgrade your machine every now and again. But I think Everyone should at least be able to play the base game. Most people have good specs to at least play the base game(and maybe that is all they really need to be happy)and if they put both pets and weather into the base game now those that cannot afford to have the machine to handle these extra items can no longer play even the base game. For those of who do have the big expensive machine's to play they really won't be left out in the cold,as they will have the chance to buy the EP's when they come out. I am one of these people that do have a expensive gaming machine and I have no trouble with having these items as separate EP's and I will upgrade when I need to just to play these games. I will own them all as I have bought all of 2 and 3 in the past. Including pets and weather. Which by the way I love having. But it really is not a deal breaker for me to have them in the base game. I would rather see them fix the engine and make it run smoother on a 64 bit system that runs the games first. I am sure they could make this game run on 64 bit and 32 bit so everyone can be happy.
    edited June 2013
    pam4402003 wrote:
    This is kind of a tough one. We want an amazing looking game... but we want to be able to run it on any old machine. I wish that were possible but I just don't think we can really have both. Up to date specs are kind of a must and for a game as graphically intense as the Sims ALREADY is I think you almost HAVE to have a decent gaming rig to run it. Games are a luxury item and if I have to upgrade my rig to run them well, I kind of consider that part of the cost of playing those games. EA has the unenviable task of balancing making a game that those who do have gaming rigs won't sneer at and complain that it's dumbed down vs those who feel whatever rig they currently have should be good enough to get the best performance possible out of the game. They have to figure out the magic formula that's going to make them the most money from both camps, computer "snobs" (like me, lol) who consider upgrades just part of playing games in the first place, and those who either can't or won't spend considerable cash keeping their computers completely "up to date." Don't get me wrong, I WANT everybody to be able to play the Sims! But I think that, at a certain point, we have to accept that getting the game we really want means we also have to have the machines to run it.

I agree with having to upgrade your machine every now and again. But I think Everyone should at least be able to play the base game. Most people have good specs to at least play the base game(and maybe that is all they really need to be happy)and if they put both pets and weather into the base game now those that cannot afford to have the machine to handle these extra items can no longer play even the base game. For those of who do have the big expensive machine's to play they really won't be left out in the cold,as they will have the chance to buy the EP's when they come out. I am one of these people that do have a expensive gaming machine and I have no trouble with having these items as separate EP's and I will upgrade when I need to just to play these games. I will own them all as I have bought all of 2 and 3 in the past. Including pets and weather. Which by the way I love having. But it really is not a deal breaker for me to have them in the base game. I would rather see them fix the engine and make it run smoother on a 64 bit system that runs the games first. I am sure they could make this game run on 64 bit and 32 bit so everyone can be happy.

This. I do not have enough money right now to upgrade my computer and I would at least like a chance at playing the base game. I don't think its fair to say that the people who don't upgrade their computer shouldn't be able to play, its not like I'm CHOOSING to not get a new computer. If I could I would.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited June 2013
    pam4402003 wrote:

I completely see your point but I still feel that leaving them OUT of base game really limits the possibilities of future expansions and that's my main concern. Honestly, I WANT all the supernatural life states to be in base game, too... and will very likely wait to buy TS4 until they are, just as I did with TS3. (OK full disclosure: I bought the base game plus Late Night...but not until Supernatural was announced! lol) I think with a new game engine on EA's end these hurdles CAN be overcome...and EA should certainly try.
    edited June 2013
    I completely see your point but I still feel that leaving them OUT of base game really limits the possibilities of future expansions and that's my main concern. Honestly, I WANT all the supernatural life states to be in base game, too... and will very likely wait to buy TS4 until they are, just as I did with TS3. (OK full disclosure: I bought the base game plus Late Night...but not until Supernatural was announced! lol) I think with a new game engine on EA's end these hurdles CAN be overcome...and EA should certainly try.
    well as far as limiting the possibilities of expansions, they really don't have to do that either. Just put more into them. I have always thought that they really gave us very little in the extra EP's, they could add alot more feature's and items into these. I would rather see them do this then cram everything into the base game.
    edited June 2013
    pam4402003 wrote:
    well as far as limiting the possibilities of expansions, they really don't have to do that either. Just put more into them. I have always thought that they really gave us very little in the extra EP's, they could add alot more feature's and items into these. I would rather see them do this then cram everything into the base game.

Well the problem with the way it is now is that EPs HAVE to be base game compatible ONLY. One EP can't actually link to another EP. I really don't know why that is though. I mean, why couldn't there be a Pets II that you would have to have Pets I installed to use it? But, for whatever reason, that's not what EA has traditionally done. So that really DOES limit what they can do with expansions.
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,991 Member
    edited June 2013
    Blue9ite wrote:
    I am aware about people saying that they don't want Sims to ever "conflict with reality" but honestly its time that we give Sims a chance to evolve now.

Why Pets and Weather should be pre-included?

- So that they are no longer just 'optional' features
    - It would give the game a more realistic and fresh outlookenhance the lives of our Sims but also their pets and the environment they live in.  For over three generations, we've had EPs that enhance the features and gameplay of our Sims but what about their Pets and the environment that they live in? They barely get anything new after each expansion pack. Once you get Pets and Seasons that's it. Only a small number of features are introduced on future expansion packs that give them 'small updates'. It would be interesting to see them get upgraded features each expansion pack along with our Sim. They need to be part of The Sims game family, not just EP features.EDIT - PLEASE NOTE:
    *I'm not saying that the entire expansion pack of Pets and Seasons should be on the base game. That's just asking too much. They can be introduced in the base game and not be able to do that much at all until more EPs are installed

Blue9ite,

What would you prefer? Would you prefer they do a lousy job with pets and weather and leave some important things out that have been included in every single Sims base game? Or would you prefer they make separate expansion packs for those things instead and maybe do a better job with them than they've ever done before. I really think they need to focus on the human sims and improving build buy mode for the base game. Pets and weather are extra, and EA needs to focus on the basics and for a Sims game, those are not the basics.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited June 2013
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Blue9ite wrote:
    I am aware about people saying that they don't want Sims to ever "conflict with reality" but honestly its time that we give Sims a chance to evolve now.

- It would give the game a more realistic and fresh outlookenhance the lives of our Sims but also their pets and the environment they live in.  For over three generations, we've had EPs that enhance the features and gameplay of our Sims but what about their Pets and the environment that they live in? They barely get anything new after each expansion pack. Once you get Pets and Seasons that's it. Only a small number of features are introduced on future expansion packs that give them 'small updates'. It would be interesting to see them get upgraded features each expansion pack along with our Sim. They need to be part of The Sims game family, not just EP features.EDIT - PLEASE NOTE:
    *I'm not saying that the entire expansion pack of Pets and Seasons should be on the base game. That's just asking too much. They can be introduced in the base game and not be able to do that much at all until more EPs are installed

Blue9ite,

What would you prefer? Would you prefer they do a lousy job with pets and weather and leave some important things out that have been included in every single Sims base game? Or would you prefer they make separate expansion packs for those things instead and maybe do a better job with them than they've ever done before. I really think they need to focus on the human sims and improving build buy mode for the base game. Pets and weather are extra, and EA needs to focus on the basics and for a Sims game, those are not the basics.

^This!

Everyone on threads like this should remember that they only have a limited budget of both time and money in which to make a Sims game, the more different things they add to it, the less details they're able to add to the main gameplay.
    raw
  • RuushiiRuushii Posts: 12 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Blue9ite wrote:

Blue9ite,

^^^
    Spending too much time and resources on features that they'll introduce later (and make a tidy profit from, I might add) into the base game is only going to take away from other features that, if you don't want to end up with another ts3, are vitally more important.
    edited June 2013
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Blue9ite wrote:

Blue9ite,

See, I don't agree that this HAS to be the case. It's not like they just started developing this game last week, nor are they unaware of the fact that the players have long expressed their dissatisfaction with having to wait for seasons and weather for as long as they did in TS3. So I'd actually be rather surprised if they were NOT planning to include seasons and weather in the base game this time around. Plus, EA definitely has the money, resources and know how to include weather in the base game and basic pets too for that matter. I would expect dogs and cats to be in base game, minor pets to be introduced a few at a time in each upcoming EP and for horses to actually get their own EP as well as exotic pets to be part of an EP with a zoo, safari or jungle theme. Just as I figure we'll see entire EPs centered around all four seasons, like a winter sports EP for one example. You see, adding basic weather and seasons and dogs and cats to the base game does NOT deprive EA of money. It actually opens up a whole new revenue source by giving them the ability to bring us fresh ideas for EPs and to add features to those EPs that will make them irresistible. That winter sports EP, in addition to introducing things like skiing and ice skating, could now also include adorable doggy winter clothing. Someone who might not be all that interested in winter sports but who loves to dress up their dog might decide that, along with the pretty Swiss Chalet lodge/venue they just HAVE TO HAVE those doggy winter outfits. So it's actually a smart move on EA's part to include basic weather and basic pets in the base game because it allows them to offer us more diverse EPs, which will likely do better than if they just offer us the same old series of EPs AGAIN.
    edited June 2013
    not really liking the idea of a separate weather EP, I for example: I don't really like sports so for me just to get winter into my game I have to get a winter sport EP? Na I would rather just get the weather all in one EP without the sports.
    Really not interested in dressing up my pets either. I would never do that in real life either, and I really would not like a Jungle or a safari EP for my game either. SO in order for me to get all the kinds of animals I would like, well then I would have to add these to my game too. Na I would like for pets to be all on one EP without the Jungle or Safari concept.
    edited June 2013
    pam4402003 wrote:
    not really liking the idea of a separate weather EP, I for example: I don't really like sports so for me just to get winter into my game I have to get a winter sport EP? Na I would rather just get the weather all in one EP without the sports.
    Really not interested in dressing up my pets either. I would never do that in real life either, and I really would not like a Jungle or a safari EP for my game either. SO in order for me to get all the kinds of animals I would like, well then I would have to add these to my game too. Na I would like for pets to be all on one EP without the Jungle or Safari concept.

No, you misunderstand. Winter, along with all the 4 seasons, WOULD be part of base game. Then they don't HAVE to make a Seasons EP but they then CAN make various EPs centered around different seasons. I only used winter as a single example.

And I would never dress up my dogs either but I sure see a lot of people who do! LOL So I merely used that as an example. A summer activity EP might include playing frisbee with your dog for instance.
    edited June 2013
    I can't see EA putting out 3 or 4 expansions all focused on pets lol, talk about a waste of money. I think one is enough. Also, everyone seems to think it would be easy for them to just throw in pets and weather. If we are looking at an early 2014 release date than I can almost guarantee that they aren't going to add it in now. It takes years to make EPs and if they just throw it in last minute, that's when problems start arising. I'd rather them take their time and release them one at a time. It won't be good for the future of ts4 if the base game doesn't even work or people can't play it due to ridiculously high specs.
    WLfAA9V.png
    edited June 2013
    I can't see EA putting out 3 or 4 expansions all focused on pets lol, talk about a waste of money.

No one said they should. What has been pointed out is that if basic pets are in the base game then other pets and/or pet related things can be small parts of other EPs, expanding what you can do with pets along the way which they can't do now because all EPs must be base game compatible so there can't BE anything further having to do with pets unless they DID put out a whole new entire EP centered on Pets and that seems highly unlikely to happen to me.
    I think one is enough. Also, everyone seems to think it would be easy for them to just throw in pets and weather. If we are looking at an early 2014 release date than I can almost guarantee that they aren't going to add it in now. It takes years to make EPs and if they just throw it in last minute, that's when problems start arising. I'd rather them take their time and release them one at a time. It won't be good for the future of ts4 if the base game doesn't even work or people can't play it due to ridiculously high specs.

As has already been said before, they didn't start work on TS4 last week. And the playerbase has been clamoring for weather/seasons and basic pets to be part of base game literally for years now. So hopefully they are ALREADY part of the base game but if not, since most of the game is probably already completed, EA DOES have time to include them... IF they want to. They have the money and resources to do this if they choose, it IS EA after all.
  • Damienf519Damienf519 Posts: 6,991 Member
    edited June 2013
    AmaraRena wrote:
    Damienf519 wrote:
    Blue9ite wrote:

Blue9ite,

See, I don't agree that this HAS to be the case. It's not like they just started developing this game last week, nor are they unaware of the fact that the players have long expressed their dissatisfaction with having to wait for seasons and weather for as long as they did in TS3. So I'd actually be rather surprised if they were NOT planning to include seasons and weather in the base game this time around. Plus, EA definitely has the money, resources and know how to include weather in the base game and basic pets too for that matter. I would expect dogs and cats to be in base game, minor pets to be introduced a few at a time in each upcoming EP and for horses to actually get their own EP as well as exotic pets to be part of an EP with a zoo, safari or jungle theme. Just as I figure we'll see entire EPs centered around all four seasons, like a winter sports EP for one example. You see, adding basic weather and seasons and dogs and cats to the base game does NOT deprive EA of money. It actually opens up a whole new revenue source by giving them the ability to bring us fresh ideas for EPs and to add features to those EPs that will make them irresistible. That winter sports EP, in addition to introducing things like skiing and ice skating, could now also include adorable doggy winter clothing. Someone who might not be all that interested in winter sports but who loves to dress up their dog might decide that, along with the pretty Swiss Chalet lodge/venue they just HAVE TO HAVE those doggy winter outfits. So it's actually a smart move on EA's part to include basic weather and basic pets in the base game because it allows them to offer us more diverse EPs, which will likely do better than if they just offer us the same old series of EPs AGAIN.

AmaraRena,

They won't be the same old EPs for one thing. The Pets EPs are different each time and Seasons won't be the same in the Sims 4 either. They may not have just started developing the game, but they still have a limited amount of time, a limited budget and they will have to limit the size of the Sims 4 base game. As it is sometimes people have so little room on their machines that they have asked people which Sims 3 expansion pack they should remove so they can install another one. Plus if the history is our guide most likely there will be even more expansion packs for Sims 4 than there was for the Sims 3.

I in fact will not be surprised at all, if they're not planning on including seasons or pets in the base game.

Also I doubt that they would do an entire EP around winter sports when it won't make sense to use that EP in say a tropical rainforest or desert themed map, where it doesn't snow. At least with the Sims 3 Island Paradise, it would make sense to build resorts in places that weren't tropical Islands. Also, do you really want an entire EP dedicated to horses?
    edited June 2013
    AmaraRena wrote:

As has already been said before, they didn't start work on TS4 last week. And the playerbase has been clamoring for weather/seasons and basic pets to be part of base game literally for years now. So hopefully they are ALREADY part of the base game but if not, since most of the game is probably already completed, EA DOES have time to include them... IF they want to. They have the money and resources to do this if they choose, it IS EA after all.

Yes- never said they did. They have been working on the game since ts3 came out. It just doesn't make any sense to me that they would make people pay for these EPs for the past 3 series and then all of a sudden add everything in for free. Like you said, this IS ea after all. Whatever they can do for money, they will. And I doubt that will include giving us their best selling EPs for free.
    AmaraRena wrote:
    I can't see EA putting out 3 or 4 expansions all focused on pets lol, talk about a waste of money.

No one said they should. What has been pointed out is that if basic pets are in the base game then other pets and/or pet related things can be small parts of other EPs, expanding what you can do with pets along the way which they can't do now because all EPs must be base game compatible so there can't BE anything further having to do with pets unless they DID put out a whole new entire EP centered on Pets and that seems highly unlikely to happen to me.

You actually did say that you wanted them to make a zoo pack, a jungle pack, and a horses pack- all which seem pet related to me.
    WLfAA9V.png