Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Pets & Weather should be PRE-included now - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited June 2013
    Honestly, I would have no issue if they were in the base game. I am smart enough to figure out how not to use apartments without a checkbox :wink:

That being said, if there was one basic dog, cat, and horse with no strays I don't see it bothering the people who don't want them. They could add the vast majority of the CAS stuff for pets, traits, ect when they added a pet expansion and you wouldn't have to buy it.

I would like to believe that even those people who don't like pets wouldn't mind seeing themed content like I mentioned. I cant be the only one who would like an old west themed expansion/farming or a medieval expansion.

Even if you don't like dogs/cats maybe you would like the pet dragon that could come with the sims 4 supernatural expansion?

I never said you weren't smart enough. :wink: Its different with apts, those are optional no matter what - the game doesn't randomly spawn them everywhere. My problem is that with SP, my game seems to want to add a new pet (or 3) to every family in town, even when they don't have room or money for it. Yes, pets are realistic, but not every family I know in real life has 3-4 pets.

If there was no strays, I wouldn't have a problem. I just can't stand the strays in 3 now, that you have no option to turn off (raccoon, deer, etc) - thats one reason why I have uninstalled it. The other reason is because my pets have no fluff and look like terrifying blocks.

screenshot20130417at107.png

(even though the forum resizes pics, sorry if its huge- can't figure out how to resize on the new imageshack.)

I can't agree with the old west/farming idea, but like you said I'm sure you aren't the only one who would want it. Thats just not my style of gaming but if its an expansion, I wouldn't have to buy it.

I loved SN in 3- would definitely buy it again for 4. I like the pet dragon that came with DV too. As long as I wouldn't be forced to see my sims neighbors with them, it would be fine. It would ruin it for me if I have a nice, friendly city town and all the neighbors had dragons running around blowing things up lol.
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    Summersethomes5Summersethomes5 Posts: 450 Member
    edited June 2013
    i agree..pets and weather also no rabbit holes! I hate that part of the game
  • Options
    CaliLizardCaliLizard Posts: 171
    edited June 2013
    I can personally see why the developers wouldn't include them, mainly time and profit issues, and I would love to see them both included but definitely don't think pets should be. I love the pets but can agree the strays can be very annoying at times so I can see ppl not wanting it on their base game. I do however think to appease players caged animals could be included like birds,rodents,reptiles and then see them expanded upon for a pets XP, also why not have weather and pets be the first expansions released. if anything I think all simmers can agree each expansion should take longer and have more to bring to the table, I'd even suggest an open forum discussion for ideas before XP's launch.
  • Options
    gmgargmgar Posts: 2,064 Member
    edited June 2013
    Yes seasons should be with the base game...no to pets.

In both S2 and S3 the strays are too much...in 47 years and all the cities I have lived in I have never seen a horse walking down the street. No pets!

On the other hand most places have 4seasons. Needs to be in base game.

I have no plans to buy S4 but I said the same of S3...but to wait years for seasons is just uncalled for...the sun don't shine year round where most people live.

Base game EA.
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited June 2013
    Here's why sims pets and seasons aren't a base game feature it's because EA makes a lot of money on them being sold separately. Pets and Seasons or the two highest sold expansions of The sims series. Even if there are people who don't like pets there are many people who replace them in those numbers.

That being said realistically these two features even for base game require time. Because you can't put a half done feature in a game and expect it to be fine. It doesn't it becomes a problem far beyond complaints of being ripped off.

One problem is time, in the real word time equates to money. Time that is spent extra on base game raises the costs of developing the game. Which raises the cost of the base game. Now EA is smart because rather than releasing sims all in one go, they release it in stages to maximize profit then after the series is done you can buy it fairly cheaply through their bundles. However when you combine from release pricing to pricing when sales trail off it's fairly low for expansions and base game.

In honesty a base game mmo now a days cost about 60 us dollars on release and 80 us dollars for limited edition. Most games on release or 60 us dollars yet sims on release was about what for people 29.99 or 39.99 us dollars? Expansions can run equally as costly as many expansions go for 50 dollars or higher. While sims costs have risen yes it's done so in increments. Those young people and adults who are casual gamers aren't likely to spend huge prices in one setting. So yes EA profits more from the game but it keeps the game affordable for all and not some.

Thus why we have expansions, and dlc store content. Now that being said I'd rather development time go to actually testing base game and improving coding and the engine. Sims 3 biggest issue is it's incapability to be versatile and flexible. Which is why we have repeated content and gameplay through out the expansions. I'd like the store team to be able to add content without cause huge crashes or bugs to the game. Also take it a step further and that content contribute to the expansions and tie itself into the gameplay. An example is the terryaki grill. Yes players can use it but they can't set up a restaurant with servers since the grill doesn't come with a cook or waitress that serves food. We have lunchlady style service for restuarants because the game isn't flexible in allowing a player to program menu choice for the restaurant. That's a problem because it means any content that comes into expansions won't be tied to other expansions and that creates design flaws and inconsestancy. Right now the focus needs to be setting the foundation right.

Now i do feel the old expansions need to start coming out right away and in the manner where it's cheaper content. I think stuff packs need to turn in to old expansion packs and put that stuff pack content in the store online. Cause honestly if stuff packs are only going to be clothing and furniture crap why waste money put it in the store. Old expansions should be 20.00 bucks because one animations the harder part is already easy to copy over, which is animations and coding. Meshes and texture very simple where it's worth 20 bucks im sorry. We've already played this stuff before and players want to see it back. You can get pets and seasons quicker and more reasonable.

However new expansions need to move on to being new content, new themes etc. Some much sims has never done that players want and we can't get it because pressed for time or the game can't fit it in. It's like the old content doesn't tie in too well with the new and i think for better gameplay they truly need to offer more and stay separate to flesh out some of these expansions with detail.
  • Options
    bosslaydeebosslaydee Posts: 3,976 Member
    edited June 2013
    weather should be included. thats an everyday occurance.
    pets.. eh. not everyone has pets.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited June 2013
    I only somewhat agree with Seasons/Weather in the base game. Pets should not be in the base game. When I play The Sims 4, I want to see just the Sims. I don't want animals, pets, creatures, etc. until I choose to add in the Pets expansion.

There are many things that need improvement with TS4 and I would much rather them focus on improving the game rather than adding in Pets and Weather right away.
  • Options
    DaletheSimDaletheSim Posts: 430 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Weather makes sense to be in the base game. They could put the weather in but then sell the Seasons later. All the holiday stuff and even if they want the festival lots again. This way you get weather, that most ppl want I think, and you can celebrate the seasons later. There should be a way to turn it off if you want to though.

Forget pets, I never use them, don't care about them, probably won't buy Pets next time. Some of the clothes and decor was nice but they just aren't my thing.
  • Options
    ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    edited June 2013
    If Sims 4 doesn't give us EP features from Sims 3 in the base game then what are they really going to be giving us? New graphics? Is everyone ready to give up their Sims 3 series for new graphics? Not so sure about that.

A lot of features from various EP's were included in Sims 3 base game, different elements from different EP's were put into the base game. The same would have to follow.

While I support the "Seasons/Pets" base game combination idea, I do think however that the "Late Night /Night Life/ Hot Date" theme should (and probably) will be in the base game. Maybe not pets. At this point, Seasons was supposed to be in Sims 2, they had trouble. Sims 3 just had trouble getting it's act together for almost 3 years so who knows what their drama was there, and so it's about time that seasons comes in a base game. If I have to wait 2 years into my game to get Seasons I'll probably be over it. It's the most obnoxious thing is waiting for features we had in previous generations of Sims. Luckily for me I started 3 in May 2011 so I had 3 EP's out the gate when I installed Sims 3 on my computer. (granted all three Ep's were lack luster to the core gameplay with the exception of Ambitions careers). So the wait for Seasons was only over a years time and that was bad enough. I seriously can't imagine waiting 3 years like some simmers did.

I think the "downtown" theme will be included in the Sims 4 base because I suspect the worlds are going to work like regions in Sim City 5. I imagine that we'll have "worlds" and then maybe "neighborhoods" that add on to each other as EP after EP (Or town after town in the store) comes out. So I would imagine part of the Sims 4 experience will be going to a downtown region within your "World" that is different than the "suburbs" we're so used to upon a base game launch.

I will be interesting to see what the team has decided to do. If they spent 4 years recycling the same EP's it would be ridiculous.

Everyone's gonna want

- Seasons, Pet's, Downtown EP, Vacations, Magic, Superstar/Showtime, so with just those 6 that leaves 4 new fresh ideas for EP's. That's just silly. I want the Sims 4 to move forward, not take one step forward and spend the entire series becoming comparable with the previous series like it took Sims 3 to do. No one has time for that. I certainly don't.

I'm confident we'll get some EP themes in the base, it's just a matter of which two. While I'm not trying to discredit this theory of Pets/Weather combo in the base game, I just think the "Downtown" theme will be in place of pets simply because it would be easier for the team to implement that EP theme into the base then creating new pets and wildlife for the world. So I see Pets being an EP again, but they need to get more creative with the name and the additional features. (However Sims 3 Pets is the best Pets EP yet). I feel like they're going to utilize the features from Sim City 5 in regards to worlds so I see a downtown theme coming in base before Pets would. Seasons seriously just needs to be in the base game with holidays and all and maybe a better calendar system? Time will tell I suppose :)
  • Options
    neon_wildneon_wild Posts: 1,220 Member
    edited June 2013
    Pets? No, but some sort of weather - yes.

We're talking about the Sims 4 here. Throughout the series some things go from being new to being pretty standard, at this point in the series I think at least some basic form of weather like rain should be considered standard and included in the base game if it's possible.

A seasons expansion can flesh out the idea but some basic form of weather really isn't too much to hope for in my opinion. I don't want to be waiting over 3 years again for any sort of weather, that was ridiculous.
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited June 2013
    I would love to see really dumbed down pets in the base game, maybe one basic dog, one basic horse, and save the complex stuff for a in-depth pets expansion. Sure people would complain, but they will complain no matter what.

That way every subsequent expansion could build off of pets because they were basegame. It would open up things like a medieval expansion pack because horses could be used as transportation, activities like jousting, western themed expansions, ect. Supernatural could of introduced pet dragons, World Adventures could have pets travel with the family, maybe add a new large exotic cat, ect.

Do you really want to have to depend on one expansion pack to cram everything in? How depressing when things you wanted weren't included and you will have to wait until the next sims edition. Just because you don't like pets doesn't mean they shouldn't be included, I don't overly care for apartments, doesn't mean I don't think simmers should have them.

This. ^^ If "basic" pets are part of the base game then when there IS an actual Pets Expansion it'll be able to really be packed with content and future expansions and worlds can just keep adding cool small things to pets as well.
  • Options
    FrogzFrogz Posts: 20 Member
    edited June 2013
    I really hate having only one type of weather: sunshine. I can't imagine a world without rain or snow. Pets are nice, but definitely a luxury. If the developers can put weather in the base game, awesome! If not, they better come up with some good reasoning why it doesn't seem reasonable for weather to be included (other than getting more money).
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    As I've already mentioned elsewhere... for me to even CONSIDER buying TS4 at release (or close to it) it's going to have to blow TS3 out of the water on several fronts. And a lot of that is related to content. Fancier graphics and better gameplay are to be EXPECTED from jump... but unless the CONTENT approaches what I'm already used to having with TS3 I'll be waiting (and reading LOTS of reviews and forum posts)until all the things I want ARE available. Which means I'll be buying much of this game used (where EA won't see my money at all) or on sale, where EA will get considerably LESS of my money than they would otherwise. I DON'T want to see the same EPs as in TS3. I want NEW EPs! But that means a LOT of the things from the old TS3 EPs need to be part of base game... like weather, pets and yes, apartments/city life. BETTER apartments please! Ones where I can actually visit my neighbors in my building in THEIR apartments!

• Options
    foxmanicfoxmanic Posts: 121 Member
    edited June 2013
    If the base game would include Pets I'd leave it right there and never buy it. I don't want those **** critters crapping all over my lawn! (And this is coming from owner of two cats and dog, I love pets and animals in real life but in Sims not so much since all those cursed strays barge on my lot to destroy things!) Pets has always been one worst least interesting expansion pack for the game so no way I'd want it included in the basegame, this time I'll finally be smart and leave it un-bought. Unless they add cool pets from the original Sims back (Chameleons anyone?) then we can talk.

Weather and Seasons I'd love to be in the base game but honestly, I very much doubt they will be, it's simply not realistic to expect them to be there. Just weather huh? Well that would mean either sunny or rainy and maybe possibly foggy or thunder since rest are usually rather season specific (like for example snow which you only get during winter ya know? Would be pretty weird if it was suddenly snowing in the otherwise summery world)
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    foxmanic wrote:
    If the base game would include Pets I'd leave it right there and never buy it. I don't want those **** critters crapping all over my lawn! (And this is coming from owner of two cats and dog, I love pets and animals in real life but in Sims not so much since all those cursed strays barge on my lot to destroy things!) Pets has always been one worst least interesting expansion pack for the game so no way I'd want it included in the basegame, this time I'll finally be smart and leave it un-bought. Unless they add cool pets from the original Sims back (Chameleons anyone?) then we can talk.

Weather and Seasons I'd love to be in the base game but honestly, I very much doubt they will be, it's simply not realistic to expect them to be there. Just weather huh? Well that would mean either sunny or rainy and maybe possibly foggy or thunder since rest are usually rather season specific (like for example snow which you only get during winter ya know? Would be pretty weird if it was suddenly snowing in the otherwise summery world)

Whereas I don't think seasons and weather is too much to expect at all as part of the base game for a life simulator. And if pets are part of the base game I fully expect to be able to have population controls for them where you can turn them off completely, turn off only specific types of pets and CERTAINLY the ability to turn off strays.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited June 2013
    Blue9ite wrote:
    I'm not sure where you're getting that info. that Pets are big sellers, MadameLee

Also I'd like to add that it would be great to have your pets get expanded as well with your Sims like for example when a Sims 4: Showtime EP is released, you could use them for dog shows.

They could also like add animals in the base game that are not your pets. It will give the game a more realistic approach.

Maybe she inferred it by all the inflammatory posts before Pets was released when the next EP was NOT Pets.

I seem to recall a lot of hate towards EA when the next EP was not Pets. A lot of people kept posting: Pets, Pets, give us Pets. Or something to that effect.

I personally do not think that any pets or weather that would markedly increase the minimum requirements of the game should be included. Or are not optional features.

And by optional I mean like how they handled laundry with Ambitions. If you bought a washer, dryer, or hamper, dirty clothes piles appear. But if you do not, they do not appear.

That way those who do not have the best computers can have a chance at playing the game and those who do not wish to have Seasons or Pets can have their way as well.

And I'm one who has a computer that can handle pets and weather and wants pets and weather in Sims 4. Just not with the base game.

Now they can add cloudy days and caged animals that you buy from buy mode or the store. Just no strays and no rain, etc.

Edit to add: I would include the toggles to turn certain types of weather/pets on and off to be ways to make the content optional. Just as long as the options worked.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited June 2013
    Seera1024 wrote:
    Maybe she inferred it by all the inflammatory posts before Pets was released when the next EP was NOT Pets.

This^ Same goes with Seasons.

I seem to recall a lot of hate towards EA when the next EP was not Pets. A lot of people kept posting: Pets, Pets, give us Pets. Or something to that effect.

This^ same goes with Seasons.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited June 2013
    I will also add that if they are EP's they should really try to come up with a new spin where they can add in the stuff but it not come off as just a remake.

Like what they did with World Adventures and now Island Paradise.

They aren't just like Sims 1 Vacations and Sims 2 Bon Voyage. Those two you were simply a tourist.

World Adventures: you get to go out and go on adventures ala archaeologists or Indiana Jones.

Island Paradise: You aren't the tourist, you're the hotel mogul that owns the hotels the tourists go to.

Both have aspects of the vacation themed EP's of Sims 1 and Sims 2 days, but yet are entirely different. If they do any remakes, THIS is what they need to do. Take the old idea, and rework it so that it still feels like something new.

And please, please, please, have Seasons and Pets be one of the first few EP's.
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited June 2013
    I think weather should be in the base game (with controls in the options panel for players to customize their experience). They wouldn't need to add stuff like festivals and all those extras to the base game, but they could come later. They could make an EP that has festivals and seasonal sports and other features that expand on the weather that is already provided in the base game, and I think that would allow for more unique and exciting expansion packs.

If they added pets to the base game, they would really need to take special care to make it a pleasant experience for players. Especially no stray animals. You know, I live in a country where there are no stray dogs or cats and that's really wonderful! In the Sims 3, when a stray cat shows up at my sims' home, I can't just ignore it. I have to provide for the stray and take it in because I just can't handle seeing a cat cold and hungry :? Selling pets wasn't included in the Sims 3 Pets because animal rights activists made a big stink about it, but somehow no one complained about strays?? I don't understand that at all! The issue of stray animals is far worse than the cruel puppy mills and junk, but somehow the issue was overlooked and allowed to be a feature in the Sims 3?! This disgusts me! If EA is going to put Pets in the game (base game or EP) then they had better not include strays ever again!! It's not okay.

Anyways, I do understand the OP's point of adding a feature like this and then being able to expand on it later. However, I just do not want pet ownership to be mandatory, and there should never be strays. Mandatory spay and neuter laws do work and is the only humane way to keep pets. Breeders need to apply for a special license and prove that they can care for the animals they breed, and otherwise, pets are not able to be bred. I feel it must be this way in the Sims as well. The player should not have a sim down the street who is careless with their cat and constantly has a litter of kittens that need good homes.

If pets are included in the base game, the player should have the option to turn them off completely as well. A player who does not want their sims to own pets should not be forced to deal with the irresponsible behaviours of a sim down the street who has a pet and is constantly breeding them! The option must be there to have NO PETS in the entire town, and pet breeding should not be permitted in the game at all unless it is a very specialized aspect of gameplay that requires permits and special requirements.
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    enkeli63 wrote:
    I think weather should be in the base game (with controls in the options panel for players to customize their experience). They wouldn't need to add stuff like festivals and all those extras to the base game, but they could come later. They could make an EP that has festivals and seasonal sports and other features that expand on the weather that is already provided in the base game, and I think that would allow for more unique and exciting expansion packs.

If they added pets to the base game, they would really need to take special care to make it a pleasant experience for players. Especially no stray animals. You know, I live in a country where there are no stray dogs or cats and that's really wonderful! In the Sims 3, when a stray cat shows up at my sims' home, I can't just ignore it. I have to provide for the stray and take it in because I just can't handle seeing a cat cold and hungry :? Selling pets wasn't included in the Sims 3 Pets because animal rights activists made a big stink about it, but somehow no one complained about strays?? I don't understand that at all! The issue of stray animals is far worse than the cruel puppy mills and junk, but somehow the issue was overlooked and allowed to be a feature in the Sims 3?! This disgusts me! If EA is going to put Pets in the game (base game or EP) then they had better not include strays ever again!! It's not okay.

Anyways, I do understand the OP's point of adding a feature like this and then being able to expand on it later. However, I just do not want pet ownership to be mandatory, and there should never be strays. Mandatory spay and neuter laws do work and is the only humane way to keep pets. Breeders need to apply for a special license and prove that they can care for the animals they breed, and otherwise, pets are not able to be bred. I feel it must be this way in the Sims as well. The player should not have a sim down the street who is careless with their cat and constantly has a litter of kittens that need good homes.

If pets are included in the base game, the player should have the option to turn them off completely as well. A player who does not want their sims to own pets should not be forced to deal with the irresponsible behaviours of a sim down the street who has a pet and is constantly breeding them! The option must be there to have NO PETS in the entire town, and pet breeding should not be permitted in the game at all unless it is a very specialized aspect of gameplay that requires permits and special requirements.

THIS. ^^ I DO ignore the strays most of the time... but not without a twinge of guilt! LOL
  • Options
    ProwlG1GirlProwlG1Girl Posts: 32 New Member
    edited June 2013
    enkeli63 wrote:

Let me just take a stab at this... was it PeTA that put a stop to it? (I had JUST bought Sims3 before it came out so wasn't watching forums and stuff) Honestly, EA should ignore these type of protests and harassment. How is it promoting puppy mills and junk? It is a GAME.

Not all strays are in trouble like many think. People dump cats here all the time... some are born feral. We always monitor how they are doing b/c we are animal lovers and assist them when they need help. We don't have the money to TNR them but can help with food... others in the neighborhood give them food when needed also. Some animals prefer to live outdoors and hunt. Some strays are exactly like many barn cat's I've seen in how they act... don't like contact & want to just live their lives with freedom & the ability to hunt.. ask for help when they need it. (like food sitting when they do need it & water somewhere on the property & a place to sleep)
  • Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited June 2013
    I'm not saying I agree with having existing EPs incorporated into TS4 base game, but something along those lines must be done. The whole series is (for the most part)just a repeat of the previous installment, so you can't blame people for being angry or caught-out that they're -- practically -- buying the same stuff over and over again.

I think the only solution really is to add weather/or whatever big feature into the basegame, but only that. Nothing to go with it. Extra features will come in the following EPs. Sure, people will buy TS4 anyway whether or not it's JUST a base game -- basically a repeat of TS2 + TS3 basegames -- but I think by adding just an extra (big) feature it would attract more sales and there would seem to be more in the game. If you get me :P
  • Options
    SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited June 2013
    Conorsim wrote:
    I think the only solution really is to add weather/or whatever big feature into the basegame, but only that. Nothing to go with it. Extra features will come in the following EPs. Sure, people will buy TS4 anyway whether or not it's JUST a base game -- basically a repeat of TS2 + TS3 basegames -- but I think by adding just an extra (big) feature it would attract more sales and there would seem to be more in the game. If you get me :P

Define the extra big features here :-) . It's not that I don't agree with you, but it will take time for the developers to do that. It may end up

1. Delay on TS4 released, instead of 2014, it may be on 2015.

2. They add the extra big features, but they forget the small details that are actually enhance the game play or make the game more interesting. In another words the base game will be dumbed down.

Instead of raining or weather in the base game, I would prefer a smart A.I, in-depth social interactions, the complex relationship between the sims, personalities, activities, etc. It's good if they can add the weather, but I don't want them to focus on that.
  • Options
    ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited June 2013
    Susiechan wrote:
    Conorsim wrote:

Define the extra big features here :-) . It's not that I don't agree with you, but it will take time for the developers to do that. It may end up

1. Delay on TS4 released, instead of 2014, it may be on 2015.

2. They add the extra big features, but they forget the small details that are actually enhance the game play or make the game more interesting. In another words the base game will be dumbed down.

Instead of raining or weather in the base game, I would prefer a smart A.I, in-depth social interactions, the complex relationship between the sims, personalities, activities, etc. It's good if they can add the weather, but I don't want them to focus on that.

To be honest, the one thing that made me buy TS3 was the open world - a big feature. TS2: aging - a big feature. What will TS4 have? Smarter AI sure, but isn't that a feature that's meant to be there already? I think they really have to pull off something big in TS4 (similar to aging & open world). I mean I haven't a clue what they could do really. I'm just hoping for something :lol:
  • Options
    steve7859steve7859 Posts: 3,824 Member
    edited June 2013
    I would be happy with just rain and a hamster lol and add the rest later