Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

*Take a Walk on the Wild Side* with ZooProfessor3 "Build a House with a RL House plan" WIP

WrathofCathWrathofCath Posts: 4,419 Member
So I noticed that Zoo Prof had a class coming up in building from RL plans. I was interested, so I planned on lurking. I don't know what came over me but today, right before the class was about to start, I registered as a legitimate student! :shock: Huh? Not my usual way! I had butterflies for crying out loud! :roll:

I had already made copies of the house plans for my lurking pleasure, so I was all set in that department. Then class started. I had no idea what to expect. :!: At first I was lost. :oops: Zoo showed us a whole different way of mapping out the house layout than I am used to. :? I usually look at the pic of the house and figure out roughly how many tiles I need for each room. Then I start making my foundation according to my calculations. Not this time.

LESSON ONE:

Here's what we did:

Screenshot2013-06-01at83446PM_zpsaf791620.png

Screenshot2013-06-01at83701PM_zps69c54535.png

Huh??? :shock: I had such a hard time at first! But I totally get where Zoo is coming from now.

At the end of the lesson I decided I had to move my lot (cause my driveway didn't have a street to pull out onto) :oops: AND I had forgotten to move my sim family in, you know, the worker bees? So I plowed down some commercial lots in Sunset Valley and put in a 50x50. Moved my lot, moved in the bees, and I'm good to go.

Here are some pics of where we are up till now:

Screenshot-15_zps98cced49.jpg

Screenshot-12_zps10308500.jpg

Screenshot-10_zpsb5cdcab0.jpg

Screenshot-9_zpsd21a3d39.jpg

Screenshot-4_zps04628ad1.jpg

My only hope now is that I got the right number of tiles per room. *bites nails* Oh well! I guess it can be fixed if not, right?

Oh! And there's homework... But YIPPEE!!! :lol: It's another build, and we have to map it out like Zoo did! I think I can DO this! And, I love the house we have to plan for! Bonus!

Anyway, if you're interested in joining us next Saturday for lesson #2, and who wouldn't be? Here is the link to register (or lurk as the case may be):

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/680739.page

Hope to see you there! :mrgreen:

Here's the homework we have due:

Screenshot-44_zpsc184cea1.jpg

Screenshot-16_zps76d404f3.jpg

Screenshot-43_zpscefcb31a.jpg

I kind of went a little ahead with the classroom build and the homework build cause I was excited to see how they would come out.

Here's where I got with the classroom home:

Screenshot-9_zps562a385a.jpg

Screenshot-8_zps9904cb20.jpg

Screenshot-6_zpsbf8dc960.jpg

I'm anxious to see how Zoo has us do the roof because I don't think I can have the spare room over the garage with the way I've done my roof.

LESSON TWO:

Ohhhh! So that's how Zoo has room for the bonus room over the garage! :wink: I never thought to put up walls up there first and then make a second roof over the first one! It looks great AND now I have some more room up there! :P

Here are some pics of Zoo's roofing instruction:

Screenshot-12_zps75351ccf.jpg

Screenshot-13_zpsbca0a322.jpg

Screenshot-14_zps0446a761.jpg

Now that looks right! :D Thank you Zooprofessor! I would never have thought of that on my own!

This is why taking the class or at least lurking will do wonders for building experience! :mrgreen:

Our homework for next lesson on June 15th is to have all the rooms walls up in the homework house. Furnishings and landscaping not necessary.

Homework due on June 22 both houses should be completed inside and out. Whew! The classroom house is going to take me a while. It's on a big lot and there's a ton of yard to fill. Not sure how I will do this... :?: Landscaping is usually the hardest part for me. Anyway it will be a challenge! :lol:

Comments

• ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited June 2013
    Oh my gosh, your build is looking GREAT, Cath, and I really appreciate your telling people about our course and encouraging them to come play with us!

By the way, the Zoo U course right before this one was on landscaping. I saw where you said that landscaping isn't your favorite, so you might want to check it out (it was only one lesson). The link to the course (for ALL the courses) is in the Zoo U Master Thread (see post one of any Zoo U course thread to find the link to the Master Thread).

Thanks again and I'm so anxious to see your beautiful house when you get it all finished!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,909 Member
    edited June 2013
    Does anyone know how to do the roof on the homework.. Mine looks terrible..
  • WrathofCathWrathofCath Posts: 4,419 Member
    edited June 2013
    Hi Zoo! Thank you so much for your kind words. I started to have a look at all the courses you've had. Wow! I saw some really interesting and helpful things, thank you! I love that pool you incorporated into the pond! It looks magnificent! I definitely would love to give that a go, lol!

Hi Bree! I'm almost finished with the homework house. Well not quite, but I've got the exteriors and the landscaping mostly finished. I have all the rooms defined and am working on the furniture and wall colors. I will post a couple of pics. Maybe they will help? What are you stuck on?

edited June 2013
    This is my version of the homework house. I have pretty much finished the outside, but I still have to add the furniture and do the wall colorings. I will also have my little worker bees upgrade everything before I upload it.

Screenshot-2_zpsc94edcfb.jpg
  • priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2013
    Love it, you've done a fabulous job so far! Can't wait to see more!

ETA: We were posting at the same time! Homework house is looking great! Mine looks a lot like yours! :mrgreen:
    edited June 2013
    Sorry I thought I was on Zoo U thread I had so many open I can't get the roof everyone I put on is to big an bulky.. Not sure!! so I just made mine point the other way.. The way you have yours on mine it look pitiful, yours is beautiful.. Keep up the good work it sure is pretty..
    edited June 2013
    I just put our Homework House on the exchange. I called it Cozy Craftsman. Here is the link:

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7388486

Front:
    Screenshot-94_zps7c57b698.jpg

Back:
    Screenshot-7_zps8d3a873a.jpg

First floor plan:
    Screenshot-64_zpsb5ca867c.jpg

Second floor plan:
    Screenshot-65_zpsa0b99130.jpg

Two Story family room:
    Screenshot-71_zpse3128ceb.jpg

Family room:
    Screenshot-30_zps56654920.jpg

Cute potting shed and interior:
    Screenshot-21_zps0bbcfa24.jpg

Screenshot-19_zps2f4282e9.jpg

For more pics you can go here:

http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/WrathofCath/media/Cozy Craftsman/Screenshot-94_zps7c57b698.jpg.html?sort=6&o=0
  • yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited June 2013
    Oh my! Your craftsman home is gorgeous! :D Love it! It is beautiful both inside and outside. I especially love that garden table you have created with the bookshelves on the side. So realistic! Recommended. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • NiniBeMe69NiniBeMe69 Posts: 2,327 Member
    edited June 2013
    Cath! I love it!! It's just so wonderful and charming. The interiors are just so lovely. I love the wood work around the fireplace. The bedrooms are lovely too. I realy like the purple one. You did a wonderful job on the landscaping. Just like you said it's so cozy. the gardening shed is great. I never would have thought to do that. You have given me a couple of ideas. Great work. Rec'd :)

I am really loving you wip house, It looks fantastic so far and it looks so real. I can't wait to see more. :)
  • suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited June 2013
    Cath,

Your Cozy Craftsman house is adorable! There is so much attention to detail and your interior design is just beautiful. There is so much I love about this house that it's hard to choose what to rave about. The landscaping i clever -- I feel like I'm looking at a Better Homes and Garden Spread instead of a SIms 3 build.

As soon as I get home and aren't using this pesky ipad to type on, I will leave a rec for you and download this wonderful house!

Sue Pea
    h2xmsbl]
    edited June 2013
    Hi Ppup! Thanks for the compliment! I can't wait to see yours when you are finished!

Hi Bree! Thank you for your encouraging words!

Hi Yanti! *waves wildly* Thank you so much for the nice comment and Rec! I was really happy with the way that little shed came out! Thanks for noticing!

Hi Nini! *Hugs* Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a lovely message! :-D
    I'm thrilled to think I could give you some ideas, lol! That's what's so cool about these threads, huh? They always get my wheels turning, lol! Thanks again Nini!

Hi Sue! Awww... Thank you so very much for those very generous comments! I was pleased to hear you liked the landscaping as that is my biggest dread, lol! I always second guess about what I've decided to do. I loved your Faraway Tree House! I left a post on your thread. :P
    edited June 2013
    That turned out so beautiful Wrath.. Very Very awesome job... PS edit Rec'd for you...
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited June 2013
    Wow, it looks like ZooProfessor3's classes have really inspired you! Your Craftsman looks wonderful, I love it! I'm going to have to check our her classes for sure, even if just in lurk mode. :-)

The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
    edited June 2013
    Why thank you Bree! How is your classroom home coming along? Gaaahhh! I have such a big yard I am panicking how to finish it. Let alone finish the interior, Lol!

Hi Happysimmer! I really have enjoyed taking Zoo's class and I definitely did learn somethings about roofing. I hope to see you in her next class! Even if it's just lurking it's really fun to see what everyone comes up with!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited June 2013
    How to I love thee(er... your HOUSE), Let me Count the Ways!

First: The build itself is perfect. Looks like the floor plans and photos and anyone who asked for a house with those plans would recognize it in your build. Interior layout works well and you took full advantage of the lovely view down into the two-story living room. LOVE IT!

Second: Your yard, the house layout and the landscaping, and your use of terrain paints to make the curved walkway and drive, it all works together in a very polished, gorgeous way. The charming little potting shed (and its interior) is the perfect cap for it, too. LOVE IT!

Third: I like your siding choice for the exterior (nice effect that mimics architecture) and your interiors are beyond excellent! This to me was the most impressive. Your use of MOO was perfect (the shelving, which is also something I love to use for building effects, was used like an expert here). Your fireplace treatment, your under-stair treatment, your kitchen (the little sliver I could see), and your charming space-themed child's room are all done with the hand of an artist. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

I taught a lesson once as part of Zoo U Course 7 that was called: "Does it Look Like Someone Really Lives Here?" and I could have used photos of your interiors as examples for that lesson.

I am VERY impressed. This received the ultimate builder's compliment from me: a Download-Recommend-Favorite (DRF).

I don't know how much Zoo U had to do with this work, but if it helped you in any way, then I'm proud to have done so.

Zoo

EDIT:
    I have just been in your Studio and your work is AWESOME! I wrote you a note on your Sim page. Please let me know if it is something you would be interested in. I am BEYOND impressed with your work.

I hope you did learn something from the Zoo U course you took, I always learn SOMETHING useful when I am a student in one of these courses, but CLEARLY you were building like an expert before you ever found Zoo U.

You share a trait with the builders that are always my favorites: your attention to the small details is perfect.
    oow785m
    edited June 2013
    O.M.G.!!! Zoo thank you so much for that wonderful post! I'm slightly embarrassed, totally thrilled, and jumping for joy at your DRF!!! It really is the ultimate compliment! Thank you, thank you thank you! :XD:

There are a couple of things about that build that I wasn't sure about. One was whether or not to keep the *mooed in* coffee cups under the upper cabinet. I hemmed and hawed over this one for a while. I really liked seeing those cups hanging there, but that particular cabinet doesn't go down low enough to hide some of the shelf from showing. Why can't we move cabinets up and down, like we can pictures??? LOL! In the end I decided to keep them cause they're so cute and for the most part you're looking at the cabinet from an angle that doesn't really show that flaw.

The other thing I wasn't sure about was the platform I used for the front porch. I knew we were supposed to do the build without a foundation, yet I really like the way the house in the plans looked with the steps. So I decided to use the platform as it allows you to use one step. The only problem with that was, I think it made the front door look a little squatty. I had all my pics done and I was getting ready to upload, when I decided to take the platform down. I took a couple of pictures without it to compare with the ones I already had with the platform. I decided I still liked the way it looked with the platform even though it took away a little of the front door at the bottom.

Sorry for the babbling rant, lol! :lol: And thank you so very much for your lovely comments, Zoo! I'm so happy :mrgreen:!
    edited June 2013
    EDIT:
    I have just been in your Studio and your work is AWESOME! I wrote you a note on your Sim page. Please let me know if it is something you would be interested in. I am BEYOND impressed with your work.

I hope you did learn something from the Zoo U course you took, I always learn SOMETHING useful when I am a student in one of these courses, but CLEARLY you were building like an expert before you ever found Zoo U.

You share a trait with the builders that are always my favorites: your attention to the small details is perfect.
    [/quote]

Hi Zoo! Thank you for your awesome comments on my studio!!! *Glowing*! I totally agree with you about learning something useful with each course, which is exactly why I wanted to enroll in your classes! :D

On our classroom house, I would not have thought to put up the walls over the garage and repeat the roof as on the first floor. It never occurred to me to do it that way. I was wondering how that could be used as a bonus room. I actually thought of putting the stairs to go down below and make a basement room, but I was psyched when I saw your way of doing it! That's the reason I took your class! I think there's always something new to learn and a totally new way of looking at things! I love, love, love to build, but I also love to see the different ways people have of doing a build! There's always something I would never have thought of, lol! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge with us! I can't wait for the upcoming classes!!!

Cath

Edit: I left a response on your page today, to the post you left on my page yesterday. I hope that makes sense, lol!
    edited June 2013

There are a couple of things about that build that I wasn't sure about.

I laughed when I read this section of your response because it sounded SO familiar! The reason it takes me so long to do a build is that I am so particular about the way stuff looks and I could see myself going back and forth with both the MOO'd cups issue and the platform issue!

I will say that I have NEVER been rushed on a build, not even when I'm doing it for a request for my team.

D.N.A. has people who have waited in excess of two months sometimes, JUST to have one of our builds. We certainly aren't going to race through something that a person has waited that long on. My current request build took me a month (it is HUGE and unfortunately my Zoo U course fell right in the middle of building it). Still, it is as close as I could come to exactly what the requester asked for.

I DO have teammates who can turn out that sort of quality without taking as long as it takes me, but I try not to be bitter about that. LOL!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • annin7annin7 Posts: 405 Member
    edited June 2013
    Hello,your Cozy Craftsman is so beautiful! :) I love the Family room and shed interior. Also they are very nice pictures! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    edited June 2013
    Hi Annin! Thank you so much for your lovely comments! Thank you also for your FR. Very happy to count you as one of my friends! Your builds are just gorgeous!
  • itguyinscitguyinsc Posts: 5,765 Member
    edited June 2013
    10015112-the-words-great-job-surrounded-by-a-burst-of-colorful-stars-communicating-good-praise-for-a-project-.jpg"width=500"
    wB2Zykl.jpg
    edited June 2013
    LOL Itsy!!! Thank you for that! You put a smile on my face! :lol:
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member
    edited June 2013
    I could go into details about all the things I love about your build WrathofCath ... but all I need to say ... it is just absolutely perfect!! :thumbup:

Can't wait to see how stunning your colonial home work assignment will look like! :D
  • IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited June 2013
    Really, really nice, Cath! All the comments I've read are spot on! You've done excellent work with both of these builds :).

Your colonial home is absolutely gorgeous and your homework build is a stunner! It all looks so difficult, but you've managed to pull them off so well! Yay!
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • follyfootfollyfoot Posts: 3,450 Member
    edited June 2013
    This is a beautiful build Cath, warm and inviting I love the muted colour scheme. xox Folly