Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would You Like TS4 If Sims No Longer Have Motives?

All of us know two motives/needs were removed for TS3. Those were the room score/environment and the comfort score.

What if Sims no longer needed to actually eat, bathe or sleep?

Along with wishes/moodlets would be new buffs. A moodlet received if you made them take a bath..but no longer a motive needing to be fullfilled.

No longer needing to eat but receive a buff if your Sim ate certain foods.

A buff if a Sim received energy from a bed, couch etc. but no longer actually having to sleep.

Would you like that in the game?

With no longer needing to fill motives but just getting good buffs or bad moodlets if the player chose to make them use objects (but not necessary) a player would be able to play a Sim without being interrupted by Needs.

This is how TSM was coded in one area. Well, actually a few areas in motives.

Instead of a need to take a bath, the player could make them take a bath but not necessary anymore, or preen in front of a mirror to receive good buffs or could be avoided altogether.

Buffs were used in TSM to also fullfill a fatal flaw such as a drunkard needed to have a drink now and then..but the good buff (after having ale or wine drink) filled hunger, too.

But this could be reprogrammed for TS4 in such a way Sims no longer needed to eat but just receive good buffs if the player wanted to raise their mood with more buffs for eating a food they liked or that was a better dish than say fish stew.

Would you like TS4 if it no longer has needs/motives?

ETA: Btw, I know nothing about TS4, but this could be how it is played in the next series since this freed up the Sim in TSM and a new way of thinking about motives.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited May 2013
    Nope. I like my sims the way they've been since TS1. TSM annoyed me in this regard, and I like having the bars to let me know what my sims want...
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2013
    I agree Hihi122122,

But if moodlets return in the next game, I have a feeling so will buffs like from TSM. TSM came out after TS3 so maybe that is something they wanted to have in TS3 but couldn't do since Sims already had needs in the game. Or they decided after a spew on TS2 to add some of the motives.

There was a big backlash on the TS2 forums when it was first rummored TS3 would no longer have motives/needs.

It was surprising to see how many people still wanted them in the games. However, there were also people that no longer wanted to have to actually fill the needs anymore but just play without them.

Thinking of the evolution of the Sims I am going to say I think this may be one of the next big features in TS4...or not..I've been wrong before. :P
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited May 2013
    Actually you still had needs in TSM, you just couldn't see most of them (which is an interesting idea that I wouldn't mind).

But the Sims 4 needs... Needs, they are and always have been a key mechanic in The Sims series, otherwise you sims become even less prone to failure then they are now.

Personally I'd prefer it if moodlets instead of being mood modifiers, were need modifiers that could apply increases or decreases to the speeds at which motives decay, so for example: Well rested instead of applying +20 Mood, would apply a 20% reduction to energy motive decay speed, so while it was in effect your sim would need to sleep less.

LTR's should also have a similar effect, above all however, there should never be an LTR that carries a 100% effect, no steel bladders any more.
    raw
    edited May 2013
    Evil_One wrote:
    Actually you still had needs in TSM, you just couldn't see most of them (which is an interesting idea that I wouldn't mind).

But the Sims 4 needs... Needs, they are and always have been a key mechanic in The Sims series, otherwise you sims become even less prone to failure then they are now.

Personally I'd prefer it if moodlets instead of being mood modifiers, were need modifiers that could apply increases or decreases to the speeds at which motives decay, so for example: Well rested instead of applying +20 Mood, would apply a 20% reduction to energy motive decay speed, so while it was in effect your sim would need to sleep less.

LTR's should also have a similar effect, above all however, there should never be an LTR that carries a 100% effect, no steel bladders any more.

TSM Sims only had four motives, hunger, energy, bladder and fun. Probably because it is a questing game, however, moodlets and or good buffs did affect the meters...so it's not like they haven't already been able to do this in a Sims' spinoff.

As I said but can't quiet recall all of it< I do believe TS3 wasn't going to originally have motive/needs but be more like TSM's motive system..but people threw a fit on the forums.

If Sims no longer needed to acually fill these then the player would be free to pursue anything in game. The moodlet system in TSM did lower aspiration and mood and or bars/meters and this did affect how well they would perform..Much like how you see Uni's college performance meter.

It is my belief this is a feature in TS4 and some things that are in new games in development find their way over into a current games..aka Uni performance meter fluxes to fail or succeed...but just watered down in current games.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited May 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    Evil_One wrote:

TSM Sims only had four motives, hunger, energy, bladder and fun. Probably because it is a questing game, however, moodlets and or good buffs did affect the meters...so it's not like they haven't already been able to do this in a Sims' spinoff.

As I said but can't quiet recall all of it< I do believe TS3 wasn't going to originally have motive/needs but be more like TSM's motive system..but people threw a fit on the forums.

If Sims no longer needed to acually fill these then the player would be free to pursue anything in game. The moodlet system in TSM did lower aspiration and mood and or bars/meters and this did affect how well they would perform..Much like how you see Uni's college performance meter.

It is my belief this is a feature in TS4 and some things that are in new games in development find their way over into a current games..aka Uni performance meter fluxes to fail or succeed...but just watered down in current games.

In addition to the four motives you mentioned, they also had focus and a final motive generated by their fatal flaw.

If you remove motives from The Sims, what are you left with?

Motives are the driving force between a whole variety of actions and interactions performed by the sims themselves, without them, they'll just stand there and do very little.

I hope they follow traditional The Sims format for TS4.
    raw
    edited May 2013
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not making a case for buffs that fill hidden motives and or no motives at all in the next game. I like my Sims have to stop and go pee. :mrgreen: Just not as much as in one EP in TS2.

However, I'm just pointing out this was the evolution in TSM (due to didn't have time due to questing etc.) and it was a huge rumor about TS3 about a year away from it's release.

Buffs 'could' be as high as 50+ points in TSM and or bad moodlets could sink as low as -50 in that game. But one thing they didn't do was have all Sims standing around being idle like we do see in TS3.

Sims were busy interacting because they gained good buffs for socializing or trying to fill their fatal flaws..fighting, drinking, romantic fatal flaws etc, and were over all just a lot more interesting to watch (townies) than in this game. Since many had lots of different fatal flaws that did motivate them to do things all across the map.

I'm just thinking how will the Sim actually evolve in the next game other than going back to their roots of more 'expressive' Sims? I'm just thinking about the actual game play and how they may have decided to evolve Sims even futher into no longer actually having to fullfill needs but receive buffs only if you did.

In TSM it was necessary if you wanted your Sim to succeed and or not die, and did lend itself to failure by affecting a perfromance meter which did drop and or raise depending on how well the player was able to figure out which buffs added the most benefit.

That is why I am thinking the TS4 will evolve into a game that may not have needs at all..and or even less than the four in TSM, and buffs or system like Buffs will be in the next game.

It would just stand to reason. They haven't said their roots were making Sims have overwhelming needs again, but a more expressive Sim, a more emotional Sim etc. So, that leads specutalation of actual game play of those Sims wide open to ponder what we see as hints in this game and TSM of what is coming in TS4.
  • darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited May 2013
    Ugh, I hope not. It seemed like both TSM and TS3 were made for people who hated TS1 and TS2. They have been driving me away more and more with each new RPG feature. :(

I like the motives because besides creating my Sims and building houses for them, my main enjoyment comes from nurturing them. If they don't need me to keep them alive I lose interest.

Plus, I REALLY hate moodlets. :P I get no enjoyment from reading a pop-up telling me what my Sim is feeling. None at all. I need to see it in their reactions/expressions or on a meter.

Regardless, I think at this point in development things like that should already be either in the game or not. I think we can still ask for some features and tweaks, but the basics have been worked out by now if the game is to be released next spring.

I just wish they'd give us more info so I'll know whether to get excited and look forward to the game or just walk away and stop wasting my time wishing for things I'm not going to get.

• NarcissaNarcissa Posts: 811 Member
    edited May 2013
    Not at all.

There's no challenge to the game if there is nothing you have to do. And this is coming from someone who uses cheats regularly.

I get how in TS3 you can get special moodlets that boost your mood, but I have never understood the point of having a good mood. It's not like we are rewarded or anything. Sims still do their homework, go to work, have an affair with the neighbor, or stand in a doorway for 3 hours. My sims can get stupid little moodlets that can ruin their mood, but not actually affect the gameplay in any way other than getting on my nerves.

You can probably tell that I'm not the biggest fan of moodlets. :wink:
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't like that at all.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
    edited May 2013
    Ugh, I hope not. It seemed like both TSM and TS3 were made for people who hated TS1 and TS2. They have been just driving me away more and more with each new RPG feature. :(

I enjoy the motives because besides creating my Sims and building houses for them, my main enjoyment comes from nurturing them. If they don't need me to keep them alive I lose interest.

Plus, I REALLY hate moodlets. :P I get no enjoyment from reading a pop-up telling me what my Sim is feeling. None at all. I need to see it in their reactions/expressions or on a meter.

Regardless, I think at this point in development things like that should already be either in the game or not. I think we can still ask for some features and tweaks, but the basics have been worked out by now if the game is to be released next spring.

I just wish they'd give us more info so I'll know whether to get excited and look forward to the game or just walk away and stop wasting my time wishing for things I'm not going to get.

I agree. Moodlets and popups instead of seeing the Sim break down or be happy was a huge turn off to me in this game. However, in TSM if you did sort of get used to the buffs they were fun in some respects. Well, the Sim in that game was fun if it was not a questing game as many hated it for that reason.

I'm just thinking why would they take two of the programmers that were in charge of the RPG aspects of TS3 over to TS4 unless there is something in it that is required to make Sims succeed or I hope fail again? Sims in all three games had to reach some kind of goal..not so much in TS1, you could keep them at the same rung on the ladder in TS1 forever if you didn't want to get a promotion since they didn't have a LTW. But TS2 became more goal oriented in the Uni EP when it introduced Sims having a LTW. Where as before in base game you could just have them work any ole career you wanted.

In TS3 we see Sims no longer need to pee as often, sleep as often, and or even eat as often as in TS1 and TS2. This is even more so true in TSM...but TS3 fails because there aren't failures in this game, but there were failures in TSM even without having to actually fill motives anymore they had a performance meter that had to stay up. Much like TS2's LTW meter...and they had fatal flaws that had to be met or they failed at anything. Social, quests, whatever.

I just think they may have not moved so far away from TSM that we won't be able to see how they evolved ideas in TSM to become TS4. Not an RPG game but maybe just maybe using the Buff system or something similar to advance the evolution of Sims motivaters.
  • Nigerian373Nigerian373 Posts: 673 Member
    edited May 2013
    Ugh, I hope not. It seemed like both TSM and TS3 were made for people who hated TS1 and TS2. They have been driving me away more and more with each new RPG feature. :(

I like the motives because besides creating my Sims and building houses for them, my main enjoyment comes from nurturing them. If they don't need me to keep them alive I lose interest.

I completely agree with this. I love TS3 but the Needs/Motives issue is one of the areas it is lacking in compared to TS1. I like to play The Sims as a "virtual dollhouse" kind of game, not a quest/RPG -- so, like you said, when my Sims don't need me because it's so easy for them to fulfill their Needs by themselves, I do get bored. And it's true, my Sims rarely really need me anymore, except to set up marriages, and tell them to try for a baby.

I also get no satisfaction from Need-themed moodlets, lol. I only like the moodlets that tell me something about the social aspects of gameplay, like the "Cheated On" moodlet, for example.
  • neilshaw1980neilshaw1980 Posts: 210 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't like to lose motives, but I would like to have a more realistic time frame to get everyone sorted, in real life I can get me and 4 kids ready in an hour with only one bathroom, in sims it takes forever :lol:

I think I must be playing a broken game though as people say sims 3 don't need them, mine have high free will switched on yet will still pee themselves if I don't send them to the toilet, or virtually starve themselves if I don't send them to the fridge. :lol:

I am not to keen on the moodlets, I don't think they would be to bad if they worked, I don't mind a positive moodlet to things as long as my sims still show what they are feeling, I don't like all the pop ups though, drives me mad something popping up every 5 seconds.
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't like to lose motives, but I would like to have a more realistic time frame to get everyone sorted, in real life I can get me and 4 kids ready in an hour with only one bathroom, in sims it takes forever :lol:

I think I must be playing a broken game though as people say sims 3 don't need them, mine have high free will switched on yet will still pee themselves if I don't send them to the toilet, or virtually starve themselves if I don't send them to the fridge. :lol:

I am not to keen on the moodlets, I don't think they would be to bad if they worked, I don't mind a positive moodlet to things as long as my sims still show what they are feeling, I don't like all the pop ups though, drives me mad something popping up every 5 seconds.

You might be playing a broken game because Sims in my game don't need me at all. They are still Sims and do stupid things like play a game or watch TV (couch potato Sim) instead of go pee, but in the other two games this would have made them go pee first.

I put 8 Sims in house the other day and turned up the speed to ultra speed (3rd one) and didn't do anything, for days in the household. None died, none passed out, none had fights, none starved, etc.

I was going to play an asylum just to see if they would die..nope. I removed stuff one by one in house, nope, they still got food..(since the game really rolls 48 hours instead of drop into red decay an die like before. It rolls 24hours x 2 before starving.

After removing the commodes they did pee but didn't phase them, they didn't care. And then I finally moved beds and couches..they didn't care, they were up for hours and hours and just kept mopping up puddles and if one did pass out they didn't care. No worries..it was very boring. :shock: I was trying to see if they would die, crack up, lose it, do something! Nope they just kept on standing on their feet with no energy for hours on end and didn't break down, ever.
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 916 Member
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't enjoy the game if Sims didn't have Motives. What would be the point of playing a life simulator if it didn't, well, simulate life, even in a somewhat stripped-down fashion?

I do believe that TS4 will have needs anyway, judging by the leaked UI videos. I do think that we'll be losing the traditional green bars, though, and instead have motive buttons with pictures on them as they were in The Sims Social and The Sims Freeplay.

438082570_640.jpg

The buttons farthest to the right appear to be Motive buttons to me, judging by the colors. Most of the different UI examples shown in the Olympus concept video seem to have some form of these buttons, and not a bar in sight.
    edited May 2013
    Then if these are buttons and not bars that needed to be increased this makes my point doesn't it? They would have to gain some sort of 'buff' or something to fill those little circles on the far right.

It may be they gain happy moodlets/buffs if you make them use something but not necessarily needed or depleted.

Like again in TSM> Sims didn't really need to pee, but if you made them use a chamber pot they gained a buff. That is what those look like to me...instead of meters/bars that decrease just something you can fill up for whatever reason to gain some other advantage in game.
  • darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited May 2013
    Icarus wrote:
    I wouldn't enjoy the game if Sims didn't have Motives. What would be the point of playing a life simulator if it didn't, well, simulate life, even in a somewhat stripped-down fashion?

I do believe that TS4 will have needs anyway, judging by the leaked UI videos. I do think that we'll be losing the traditional green bars, though, and instead have motive buttons with pictures on them as they were in The Sims Social and The Sims Freeplay.

438082570_640.jpg

The buttons farthest to the right appear to be Motive buttons to me, judging by the colors. Most of the different UI examples shown in the Olympus concept video seem to have some form of these buttons, and not a bar in sight.

I thought those pics were from a 2011 online version of the game that had been scrapped? I'm so confused about the whole "Olympus" thing. Is the SimsVip info correct?
    edited May 2013
    Yes, more or less. They aren't saying that is how the game will look, but Patrick Kelly's resume stated he worked on the 'final UI' of Sim's 4.

I think another site has more info about those mockups but I can't remember where I saw what all P. Kelly said he had done to finalize the UI and the AI etc.
  • neilshaw1980neilshaw1980 Posts: 210 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Cinebar wrote:

You might be playing a broken game because Sims in my game don't need me at all. They are still Sims and do stupid things like play a game or watch TV (couch potato Sim) instead of go pee, but in the other two games this would have made them go pee first.

I put 8 Sims in house the other day and turned up the speed to ultra speed (3rd one) and didn't do anything, for days in the household. None died, none passed out, none had fights, none starved, etc.

I was going to play an asylum just to see if they would die..nope. I removed stuff one by one in house, nope, they still got food..(since the game really rolls 48 hours instead of drop into red decay an die like before. It rolls 24hours x 2 before starving.

After removing the commodes they did pee but didn't phase them, they didn't care. And then I finally moved beds and couches..they didn't care, they were up for hours and hours and just kept mopping up puddles and if one did pass out they didn't care. No worries..it was very boring. :shock: I was trying to see if they would die, crack up, lose it, do something! Nope they just kept on standing on their feet with no energy for hours on end and didn't break down, ever.

I haven't tried actually killing them so don't know if they would starve to death but they sure go into the red alot, the energy drops fast too, sometimes with my family of 8 I have to use cheats other wise they all want to sleep 3 times a day :lol:

The only major change I think we need is the time, it needs to be longer I think so eating and things happen in a more realistic time frame. I guess I will cope if they have TSM type way though as I did like that game.
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 916 Member
    edited May 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    Then if these are buttons and not bars that needed to be increased this makes my point doesn't it? They would have to gain some sort of 'buff' or something to fill those little circles on the far right.

It may be they gain happy moodlets/buffs if you make them use something but not necessarily needed or depleted.

Like again in TSM> Sims didn't really need to pee, but if you made them use a chamber pot they gained a buff. That is what those look like to me...instead of meters/bars that decrease just something you can fill up for whatever reason to gain some other advantage in game.

My assumption, based upon the display of colors on the buttons on the right, is that they work in much the same way as TSO and TSF in that they do have motive decay in the same fashion as the main TS games but that they're simply displayed in a different way. I don't believe that the above bar has anything to do with motives, but it rather has something to do with Skill gain. In the earlier bits of the Olympus video, with the two female Sims interacting, you see that with each specific interaction, the Sims gain +1 Passion, +1 Flirty, etc. I believe that with each interaction, they gain a certain sort of "experience point" toward their social skills in much the same way as one would gain them in an RPG.

Not where I would have taken the series, personally, but we'll see what happens.
    edited May 2013
    The buttons on the far right look more like what something related to social interactions that are seemingly going on in that video. Notice the heart at the top incompassing those four buttons on the bar.

It's too small to see what is on the far left (the 3 buttons) and I would guess motives have been diminished to even fewer than we have now.

8 in TS1, 8 in TS2, 6 in TS3, 4 in TSM, and maybe only 3 in TS4?

I also believe the mockup videos are a representation of Sims traveling to another person's game or onto a fixed world on a server. Maybe that place is called Olympus? and part of the MMO of TS4?

And that would be one reason motives wouldn't be in the next game and some sort of buff system or maybe not so many motives anymore.
    edited May 2013
    Update to some curious consequences!

Right after EA announced to all the fansites that yes, they are making TS4 many sites (but not SimsVIP) actually posted the video of The Sims 4 Olympus mockup and not just the pictures SimsVIP had taken from the video.

If you search today (not sure when they were removed) on well known fansites all over the world those sites no longer have the actual video of the mockup for The Sims 4 Olympus.

Wonder why?

SimsVIP never posted the actual video but they did extract pictures of that video which now lies burried under pages and pages of ADs for IP's EP since the conference. And so do all other sites have loads of news and Ads for IP's EP since the conference.

But none that posted the actual video of the mock up of The Sims 4 Olypus mockup have the video up anymore but it says it was removed or no longer available on all those other sites.

The only thing you might find is a video by a user on Youtube discussing just the picture and why he thinks because that game's pictures look too finished it can't possibly be TS4..maybe an Ipad game...since they just started developing TS4...but he is incorrect TS4 began production in 2010 didn't it?

I just find it curious BeyondSims and some other well known sites across the waters have removed the actual video of the mockup since the conference. :shock:
  • Mia576Mia576 Posts: 393 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Because it would confuse many people thinking that those were early screens of TS4. Those were actually screens of the sims 4 Olympus and The Sims 4 Icarus, online versions of TS4 (TS4 was meant to be online) but those games are COMPLETELY scrapped and the final game will look NOTHING like that.
  • 2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm not to fussed if we have motives or not, sometimes keeping them full gets in the way of what i'm doing but then i'm not sure it would feel right without them.
    My origin id is sim2011
  • zorba2357zorba2357 Posts: 6,103 Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't know why I feel the need to defend Sims Medieval, but I guess I do! I think because I really Had No high expectations for the game, no built up wants or desires, I bought it mostly on a whim and Love it!

It's not like I love RPG's or anything. But , I find Medieval really refreshing. It Looks great, the SIMS look much better than sims 3, they look a lot like sims 2 with better graphics, and the game is FUN, fun with a capital F. I find it enjoyable and different. Yeah so I can't build but so what? I don't care a whit if my baby can't grow up either :lol:. So serious!

With That said I DO take issue and find it extremely irksome how these things were handled by EA - the advertising of medieval, the forum which is so awful I won't even say. Suffice to say their goal Must be to chase away all their customers. I think in general all the "sim story" spinoff games got very little support from the company once the advertising phase was over. It's too bad. A nice forum and a little dev or tech support, or just a caring word now and then would be nice.

Anyhow If I had to choose I would prefer to just see my sims basic need bars and do away with moodlets. I don't even know. I can't seem to keep interest in sims 3 Sims. It's too complicated, where is the fun?
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm not sure if it would still even classify as a Sims game anymore without motives. Like Tomb Raider wouldn't be the same without Lara Croft, or Resident Evil without some sort of viral outbreak and surviving it all while at the same time figuring out what's going on behind the scenes.

TS is a life simulator, therefore motives is something it should always have to give that feel of a people simulation. But I do want improvement over spending less time with needs and more time living out my sims virtual life.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”