Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course 9: Building a House from a Real Life House Plan--(self-paced tutorial)

Comments

• Options
    BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,910 Member
    edited June 2013
    I got stuck on drawing the inside, but I think I got it now...
  • Options
    mcveighjessmcveighjess Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited June 2013
    As I'm attempting to do this, I realize a couple of things...

Number 1, my builder's blank is all wrong. I screwed up when creating it and got bulldozer happy. I'm having trouble replacing the grocery store and like (not to mention getting a 40x40 to sit without screwing up the surrounding terrain), so I need to save my builder to my library and start over. :(

Oh well, I'll be back to check in later! Good luck all!
  • Options
    ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited June 2013
    BreeMiles wrote:
    I got stuck on drawing the inside, but I think I got it now...

Bree, that is at least in part teacher-error. If I had thought of it, I would have marked all the counts of the interior rooms the way that I did the starting photos for the front of the house and for the first floor plan.

If I can reproduce my own drawing, I will add those counts and put in a photo of it in that step of the lesson.

That doesn't help you right this minute, but if anyone gets really stuck it will help.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    As I'm attempting to do this, I realize a couple of things...

Number 1, my builder's blank is all wrong. I screwed up when creating it and got bulldozer happy. I'm having trouble replacing the grocery store and like (not to mention getting a 40x40 to sit without screwing up the surrounding terrain), so I need to save my builder to my library and start over. :(

Oh well, I'll be back to check in later! Good luck all!

If you bulldozed anything like a store or rabbit hole that you find you want later, go to the original world and save that building to the library, then go to your BB version of the world and use Edit Town to place your library copy where you want it.

Also, if you have having problems with warping terrain, find a BIGGER lot than the one you want. Bulldoze it and put in the size lot you want (which should fit with no problems and no terrain warp).

oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    zoo_u_forumfooters_decal_try.png

Just post the words "Register Me" in this thread to join us next Saturday, June 8th, for Lesson Two of this course!

What is that you say? You missed Lesson One? NO PROBLEM! Go to post one of this thread an find the link to Lesson One. You can do it on your own AND you can still post your questions right in this thread. This thread is monitored daily and your questions will be answered.
    oow785m
  • Options
    xixeatxcrayonsxxixeatxcrayonsx Posts: 144 Member
    edited June 2013
    How exactly does the frieze cheat work? are you supposed to place the foundation before or after you enter the cheat?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    How exactly does the frieze cheat work? are you supposed to place the foundation before or after you enter the cheat?

A frieze is a foundation that is on any level EXCEPT the ground. You enter the cheat and then you put the frieze on top of foundation (or wall) sections.

If you notice I mentioned in my steps that there is a little glitch. If you are using the foundation tool and turn on the cheat the game doesn't recognize the cheat until you move OFF the foundation tool and then back onto it.
    oow785m
  • Options
    jenny0786jenny0786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited June 2013
    REGISTER ME :D
  • Options
    Nirar22Nirar22 Posts: 172 Member
    edited June 2013
    I got a bit lost on the drawing the inside plans too, lol I ended up printing a pic of the house out, so that I could get a better look at it. I also didn't do the placefriezes part, because I already knew what I wanted to do for the stairs.

I do have a question though. I like the idea of drawing the plans up with that fence thing, I like the coloring of the different areas so you don't lose your work, my question is, if you know you are going to place a foundation---wouldn't it be easier to place the foundation first (especially if you know you are not going to use any placefriezes cheat!), over the original 26 x 27 (or whatever it was) white square? Just curious, lol

Please register me for the next class. :) Thanks Zoo for the lesson today---I learned some pretty handy tricks with your fencing plans and colored room ideas. :D
    The Stone Kings--my Random Royal Kingdom Challenge

Full of Beans--a Perfect Genetics, Midnight Sun, ISBI rolled into one challenge
  • Options
    HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member
    edited June 2013
    Wow!!! Thank you professor!!! :thumbup: ... First I thought there is no way I can get my head around all that counting and like Bree I got already lost drawing the inside.

I'm rather slow reading and building but with your clear instructions I have ended up with something that looks not too far off from what it should do ... I think!!!

I am really disappointed that I will not be able to attend the next lesson as I have to work at the weekend!
    ... but I will attempt to do my homework without excuses :wink: ... and definitely will be back for some more!! :D
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Nirar22 wrote:
    I got a bit lost on the drawing the inside plans too, lol I ended up printing a pic of the house out, so that I could get a better look at it. I also didn't do the placefriezes part, because I already knew what I wanted to do for the stairs.

I do have a question though. I like the idea of drawing the plans up with that fence thing, I like the coloring of the different areas so you don't lose your work, my question is, if you know you are going to place a foundation---wouldn't it be easier to place the foundation first (especially if you know you are not going to use any placefriezes cheat!), over the original 26 x 27 (or whatever it was) white square? Just curious, lol

Please register me for the next class. :) Thanks Zoo for the lesson today---I learned some pretty handy tricks with your fencing plans and colored room ideas. :D

If you look at my "Notes from Your Teacher" post, I gave the advice to print out the plans. I think you are correct and that it is MUCH easier to have those printed so that you don't have to keep popping out of your game to look at photos on your computer.

About your question with placing foundation first:

In all honesty, that is what I do when I do it for myself. The only reason that I didn't do that here is that it is a little harder to correct mistakes and a lot harder to see the room sizes if it isn't on flat ground.

I was trying to make my photos nice and easy to see, but I have had math students suspicious that I keep all the good tricks to myself, SO just to make sure no one thinks I am doing that here I will edit to add that tip in for future builds by my students.

Excellent point and thank you for bringing it up!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Hidehi wrote:
    Wow!!! Thank you professor!!! :thumbup: ... First I thought there is no way I can get my head around all that counting and like Bree I got already lost drawing the inside.

I'm rather slow reading and building but with your clear instructions I have ended up with something that looks not too far off from what it should do ... I think!!!

I am really disappointed that I will not be able to attend the next lesson as I have to work at the weekend!
    ... but I will attempt to do my homework without excuses :wink: ... and definitely will be back for some more!! :D

Thanks so much for your kind comments and I'm going to go ahead and register you for Lesson Two because you can do it when you have the time to get to it. You can still post all your questions after the class is not "live". I look at the Zoo U course threads (all of them) every day to make sure no students are left hanging.

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    Army008Army008 Posts: 141 Member
    edited June 2013
    After getting to a slow start trying to find a lot to build on and finally getting into the building process my daughter has decided she wants Mac and cheese I will continue in a bit.
  • Options
    BreeMilesBreeMiles Posts: 8,910 Member
    edited June 2013
    Please "Register Me" for lesson (2)I'm still at the garage, working my little fingers to the bone... Thank You Zoo you are a wonderful teacher...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Army008 wrote:
    After getting to a slow start trying to find a lot to build on and finally getting into the building process my daughter has decided she wants Mac and cheese I will continue in a bit.

I want Mac and Cheese, too! Dang it, where is a husband when he's needed? :mrgreen:

I haven't had lunch, so I'm going to leave the computer soon and make myself something. I actually have some pasta I could fix. Not Mac and Cheese, but delicious (sausage ravioli with marinara sauce and cheese ravioli with Alfredo sauce... I am making myself hungry!!)
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    BreeMiles wrote:
    Please "Register Me" for lesson (2)I'm still at the garage, working my little fingers to the bone... Thank You Zoo you are a wonderful teacher...

Thanks, Bree, that is a lovely thing to say! I'm putting you on the class roster!
    oow785m
  • Options
    FireFlower29FireFlower29 Posts: 168 Member
    edited June 2013
    I haven't gotten as far as the others, my DH distracted me. I'll catch up in the next couple days.

I am continuing on though, so please register me for the next lesson.

Thanks for all your hard work and the instruction Zoo! You're a wonderful instructor!

Rose
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The Lesson 2 Roster is up to date. I am going to update the D.N.A. Request Thread as I am the team's June secretary and then I'm going to leave to fix myself some lunch.

Go ahead and post your registration requests and your questions and I will be back later to work on all that.

THANKS FOR A GREAT CLASS TODAY!!

Zoo
    oow785m
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I haven't gotten as far as the others, my DH distracted me. I'll catch up in the next couple days.

I am continuing on though, so please register me for the next lesson.

Thanks for all your hard work and the instruction Zoo! You're a wonderful instructor!

Rose

I will register you, but what is a "DH"?
    oow785m
  • Options
    Army008Army008 Posts: 141 Member
    edited June 2013
    Army008 wrote:

I want Mac and Cheese, too! Dang it, where is a husband when he's needed? :mrgreen:

I haven't had lunch, so I'm going to leave the computer soon and make myself something. I actually have some pasta I could fix. Not Mac and Cheese, but delicious (sausage ravioli with marinara sauce and cheese ravioli with Alfredo sauce... I am making myself hungry!!)

That does sound good could you also add me for lesson two?
  • Options
    FireFlower29FireFlower29 Posts: 168 Member
    edited June 2013
    Took me a while on that one too LOL

DH = Darling Husband (that can be said lovingly OR sarcastically, depending on what he's up to!) :)
  • Options
    Abeauty95Abeauty95 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited June 2013
    Register me for Lesson 2! Can't wait!
    Also in the homework assignment you said that we can post pictures of it on a new thread. Exactly how do we do that?
  • Options
    jenny0786jenny0786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    edited June 2013
    Yay; I figured out how to do the garage like it is in your picture Zoo :D

I am looking forward to the next lesson
  • Options
    mcveighjessmcveighjess Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited June 2013
    Hey, hey!! Register me for lesson 2, too!!!

Sidenote: When I was building my blank world, I must have glitched something, because it's not working right at all. And I DELETED EVERYTHING. If you could click on it to delete it, it went. All rabbitholes, all lots, EVERYTHING. Now when I try to add a lot with the little lot maker tool, it gets all weird and sinks the edges down in weird levels, even when I'm trying to do something like place a 30x30 on a space that previously held a 60x60.

Makes every single lot unroutable. And all the rabbitholes are available in the build menu in edit town mode, but it's doing weird things with the bigger lots too, even when I try to place the same Sunset Valley RH where they used to be.

I didn't get near enough sleep and my head hurts, so I gave up for a bit and indulged in some light reading and ordered pizza and pasta for delivery for me and the kids. Going to go back into game and finish building my new builder's blank (this time leaving all the premade lots there, but blank and leaving the grocery store, pet store, etc intact). I have a couple copies of my preferred builder saved, so even if I've somehow corrupted her, I'm not starting from scratch.

See you in lesson two! What I did see is some amazing pointers. You are an amazing prof, Zoo. I bet you're even better IRL! :)<3
  • Options
    AyaSama3000AyaSama3000 Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2013
    gaaaaaahhh!

My mortal enemy, ze CFE, is thwarting my plans D:
    When I try to connect the foundation to the bottom wall for the garage i get a "Covered by floor tiles" message and it doesn't do it :('

the only thing is...there's no floor tiles u.u
    [also register me please for L2!]

Edit: After a brutal showdown, I won! I finally got my garage to attach to the foundation :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top