Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What about a balance?

I'm excited for the Sims 4 itself, of course. I'm very interested in what it has to bring :lol:
I also know that whatever graphics and Sims they decided to put in the game are already there, so whatever they decided is what we're getting, no matter how many new petitions pop up. With TS4 less than a year away (and if I remember correctly, it's much less than a year) the last thing they're going to be doing is making an overhaul of the game. Well, a major one anyways.

But what I'm really worried about is whether they put in a balance. Yes, a balance, not only in graphics, but in the way the Sims look.
I personally prefer cartoon-y looking sims. I've loved them since the beginning :D But I understand some prefer uber-realistic, or just realistic.
I'm wishing they provide a balance, or some options in to whether they let you choose realistically or a bit more cartoon-y. Of course, I doubt they'd give us many options, so what I can hope for is a balance between the two. If they decide to go strictly one way or the other, it isn't going to necessarily impact their game that much, if at all, but at least they would make their fans happy, huh? (I know, I'm talking about EA :lol: )
Some of the pictures that the realistic-groups put on just suck the life out of me! And the sims completely creep me out :oops: I know, I'm a wuss :lol: but they do certainly hit me hard when I see them. So instead of making this one way or the other, it should be a nice balance, as long as they do well.
P.S. This isn't a petition, just something I felt like getting out. So, thank you for reading :)

Comments

• simseatcakesimseatcake Posts: 230 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I also prefer cartoony looking sims over the realistic ones. I think it would be nice if they keep the cartoony style shown in the sims 4 logo, and add somewhat realistic textures. Like if the clothes looked cartoony, but had a realistic texture or pattern on them. Kind of like the picture below...
    431px-Carl.png
  • Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    edited May 2013
    Yes, I agree. I do like realistic characters/renders, but I don't think Sims would be much realistic compare to the pictures of characters/renders from other games or 3D art like people here posted all over threads. I do think Sims, especially the redhead girl in our signature, looks really nice and realistic. The skin looks softer/smoother, and eyes looks detailed and more expressive. Her hair and eyebrows might look way off, but maybe they will be updated later if needed. I think the renders looks mixed of TS3 and TS4, at least to me. Once we see the whole of them, then we might see the difference rather than the one we already see. It is true that EA/Maxis want Sims to be more expressive, etc than before, so they work harder to focus on Sims rather than something else like making graphic look much detailed and realistic. So, it is more likely they will react, behave, etc realistically and expressively than TS3. For instance, there are fires, they will not stand there looking freak out, they would run out of the house and waiting for fire truck or fighting against fires themselves, or complaining about something in their way, they would walk around or pick them up or something. Their IQ should be improved and advanced than TS3. That, and also along with new and plenty of hairstyles, clothes, furniture, and many exciting things. :)
  • IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited May 2013
    Chimp2678 wrote:
    Yes, I agree. I do like realistic characters/renders, but I don't think Sims would be much realistic compare to the pictures of characters/renders from other games or 3D art like people here posted all over threads. I do think Sims, especially the redhead girl in our signature, looks really nice and realistic. The skin looks softer/smoother, and eyes looks detailed and more expressive. Her hair and eyebrows might look way off, but maybe they will be updated later if needed. I think the renders looks mixed of TS3 and TS4, at least to me. Once we see the whole of them, then we might see the difference rather than the one we already see. It is true that EA/Maxis want Sims to be more expressive, etc than before, so they work harder to focus on Sims rather than something else like making graphic look much detailed and realistic. So, it is more likely they will react, behave, etc realistically and expressively than TS3. For instance, there are fires, they will not stand there looking freak out, they would run out of the house and waiting for fire truck or fighting against fires themselves, or complaining about something in their way, they would walk around or pick them up or something. Their IQ should be improved and advanced than TS3. That, and also along with new and plenty of hairstyles, clothes, furniture, and many exciting things. :)

I agree, the redhead girl in the picture is the most beautiful one for me, I can't seem to take my eyes off her every time I look at my signature. I love her! And I definitely think they're going to make the eyebrows and hair better. I mean, this is the earliest picture, of course I'll expect updates :lol:
    edited May 2013
    Bump :D
  • JacobRuehlmanJacobRuehlman Posts: 495 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I prefer a happy medium... I also find the picture of the redhead on the Sims 4 logo rather appealing and I can see some realism in her...

This would be the perfect Sims 4 sim character for me though.

7088123947_0ca3c81626_m.jpg

I have shared this picture on several other threads already... but not this one, so anyone who hasn't already, can see my ideal sim. lol
    edited May 2013
    I prefer a happy medium... I also find the picture of the redhead on the Sims 4 logo rather appealing and I can see some realism in her...

I have shared this picture on several other threads already... but not this one, so anyone who hasn't already, can see my ideal sim. lol
    And I've commented on this very picture, too :D (Not being snarky, just saying. It seems my comments sound harsher to me than they really are)
    I think this picture is still very biased to the realistic portion. I really don't see the cartoon appeal in her. :wink:
    edited May 2013
    Ifreshyeh wrote:
    And I've commented on this very picture, too :D (Not being snarky, just saying. It seems my comments sound harsher to me than they really are)
    I think this picture is still very biased to the realistic portion. I really don't see the cartoon appeal in her. :wink:

The production team pretty much has their Sim models finished anyways and at least by the looks of the female redhead in the logo... I have high hopes for them! I really don't mind a cartoony look, leaves room for more animation and expression! ...I was trying to edit it really fast to say look away Ifreshyeh at the beginning of my post because I didn't want to creep you out again!!! lol sorry about that :P
  • sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    edited May 2013
    why would you want your sims looking like roller coaster tycoon people if that is what they are about to do yes count me out forget cartoony if I want that I will play sims 1
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited May 2013

The problem with that picture you posted as well as many other pictures people have been suggesting the Sims to look like is they don't really have any special "Sims charm" to them. Meaning, if I look at those, The Sims 4 won't pop in my mind.

As bad as people think TS3 sims look, we are all able to look at them (and even furniture) and know that it's TS3.

They need a cartoony look. The ones we've seen are, in my opinion, great and I can't wait to see more of them.
    why would you want your sims looking like roller coaster tycoon people if that is what they are about to do yes count me out forget cartoony if I want that I will play sims 1

The Sims has always been cartoony. In fact, as the developers are saying, TS4 will be going back to the roots which is presumably going to capture what was so great about TS1.

These Sims look more realistic than Sims 3 sims - you can see more detail in the face. I don't know why people are getting mad about it now. There will undoubtedly be CC for them anyway.
    edited May 2013
    From the three prototypes (if I can call them that) we have seen so far, I just think they need a lot more texture and emotion to them... I don't know. They could just, be better, actually a lot better. I'm not going to complain though, I know I will fall in love with them no matter what! I am just so excited for The Sims 4 that I am over speculating everything perhaps. :P
  • sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    edited May 2013
    sims_4_mac_hero.jpg
    this is cartoony and I don't want sims that look like this
    edited May 2013
    Sk8rblaze wrote:
    The Sims has always been cartoony. In fact, as the developers are saying, TS4 will be going back to the roots which is presumably going to capture what was so great about TS1.

Going back to the roots? I hope by that they mean they are bringing back everything that made The Sims so amazing and entrancing to begin with; mischief, uncertainty of what might happen, possibility of failure, dark humor, crime and more gritty aspects of life that the game had totally gotten rid of during/after The Sims 2.

They really need to go back to the roots of the original sims games and put back into the game that I myself loved so much about it! lol (The Sims, Sims Bustin' Out, Urbz Sims... any of those ring a bell???)

• bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    edited May 2013

Hi! I just looked at your other thread too, but since you've got the picture here and I like this forum thread, I thought I would comment here :P

This picture is astonishing in its reality, and is an amazing graphical feat. But I agree with another simmer who posted above - nothing about her says to me "THE SIMS", whereas the sims in the banner DEFINITELY do. I think the cartoony style of the sims so far is a much better medium to use for the quirky, hilarious game which the Sims is (or at least should be... TS3 XD), and if they followed a style THAT realistic, it just wouldn't be "the Sims." But that's just me XD

I like the idea of the balance. I'm also a huge fan of the way the sims in the banner look (barring hair, eyelashes and eyebrows), and I think that having the cartoony look will give them heaps more scope for expressing emotions and doing all the crazy things that sims do :)
    edited May 2013
    That redheaded girl is really starting to grow on me the more I look at her... she is stunning! She gets a :thumbup: from me!
    edited May 2013
    sims_4_mac_hero.jpg
    this is cartoony and I don't want sims that look like this

I don't think those are what sims are going to look like. It doesn't even say much.
    But I don't think your getting the point of the thread. I was suggesting a balance between realistic sim and cartoony sims. There's nothing morally wrong with liking either one, it's a preference. And my preference is cartoon-y. But this is why I was suggesting a mix between the two. Just because I like cartoon-y sims doesn't mean they should pick my choice over the ones who like realistic sims, and just because you like realistic sims doesn't mean you have entitlement over me. That's fine if you don't want cartoon-y, but me and the other simmers that do shouldn't be left behind because of you and vice versa. This thread is just a solution kind of, not set fact of one opinion or the other.
    edited May 2013
    Ifreshyeh wrote:

The production team pretty much has their Sim models finished anyways and at least by the looks of the female redhead in the logo... I have high hopes for them! I really don't mind a cartoony look, leaves room for more animation and expression! ...I was trying to edit it really fast to say look away Ifreshyeh at the beginning of my post because I didn't want to creep you out again!!! lol sorry about that :P

Aha, well it's nice that you took me into consideration :D
    And now that I keep looking at your picture, it's starting to grow on me a little, too! I still just feel she's a little too realistic for me, but you convinced me that this is 10x better than suggesting Heavy Rain characters. Now those are just too much for me! :lol:
    edited May 2013
    Ifreshyeh wrote:
    Aha, well it's nice that you took me into consideration :D
    And now that I keep looking at your picture, it's starting to grow on me a little, too! I still just feel she's a little too realistic for me, but you convinced me that this is 10x better than suggesting Heavy Rain characters. Now those are just too much for me! :lol:

Of course! :wink:
    Glad to hear she is growing on you, but I understand now that keeping a more cartoony appearance will leave open endless possibilities for astounding animations and proper emotions for The Sims 4 sims! :mrgreen:
  • lovcatlovcat Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited May 2013
    I've said it once. I'll say it again. The Uncanny Valley.

Sure technology is getting past this in many ways but I still think it's true. Most companies go for a more stylized or "cartoony" character so that they don't fall into the uncanny valley.

(The more realistic a model the more you'll be able to realize its faults and it might even borderline on creepy after a while)
  • wishinstonezwishinstonez Posts: 448 Member
    edited May 2013
    lovcat wrote:
    (The more realistic a model the more you'll be able to realize its faults and it might even borderline on creepy after a while)

Yup.

Everyone loves realistic games. All I see are the imperfections and the people look really creepy like mannequins.

I really would prefer the game to be on the cartoony side. The "eyes" picture looks really simple but I think it could turn out to look really nice in the end.

I would love more realistic hair, as in it doesn't look painted on or just one big texture. It would be nice if curls actually were curled (3d).
  • 2011simone2011simone Posts: 2,444 Member
    edited May 2013
    me too, realistic = freaky lol. I'd actually prefer worse graphics and better game play!
    My origin id is sim2011
  • honeylicious123honeylicious123 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I also would really love there to be a balance in realism and cartoon-y looks for our Sims :3
    People kept complaining about the way the Sims in TS3 looked compared to those in TS2 but I really like it that way
    :D
  • DanibleeDaniblee Posts: 2,429 New Member
    edited May 2013
    This this this. I lean towards the realistic side, but I don't want the sims to look like mannequins. Theres only so far you can go with realism before it gets a little creepy.

I'm not completely happy with the sims they have in the Sims 4 banner they released, but not completely apalled by it either.

A cartoony-realistic balance is exactly what we need to satisfy the majority of us. It needs to be so much of a balance that if you want to lean to the realistic side, like me, you can do so. But you should also be able to make your sims look cartoonish as well. Don't know if I'm making much sense here, but what I'm trying to say is, yes yes yes- we need some sort of balance between the two.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't want cartoony, I love realism and I think Jacob's picture is absolute stunning. I'd love it if the sims 4 sims looked like her.

I've been studying the banner in many people's siggys and honestly think, the sim in the middle is from sims 1, on the right is sims 2 and the sim on the left is from sims 3...I really don't think they have released a picture of a sims 4 sim yet. Just my opinion. :-)

Edit for typos
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
    edited May 2013
    bshag4lv wrote:
    I don't want cartoony, I love realism and I think Jacob's picture is absolute stunning. I'd love it if the sims 4 sims looked like her.

I've been studying the banner in many people's siggys and honestly think, the sim in the middle is from sims 1, on the right is sims 2 and the sim on the left is from sims 3...I really don't think they have released a picture of a sims 4 sim yet. Just my opinion. :-)

LOL I love this :P
  • loosmaloosma Posts: 372 Member
    edited May 2013
    lol well I'm in the vast minority lol. "uncanny valley" or whatever it's called doesn't bug me lol

I've given up on what the sims will look like. I just don't like it to look like what that one poster posted, the old guy from UP. That's too cartoony xD