Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The clay like hair...

I don't know if it has been suggested elsewhere, but I've been wondering if the step backwards in graphics for the Sims 4 hairstyles could be because hairstyles have been upgraded.

Perhaps there are going to be hair sliders for length, volume, texture, shape, etc. in a similar way to Sims 3 pet fur, meaning hairstyles will be customisable. Perhaps the hair looks "clay like" because, just like clay, we'll be able to sculpt it ourselves. I can imagine being able to choose the length, placement and size of various up-dos such as buns or ponytails, the amount of volume at the crown, the placement and length of bangs, etc.

Or perhaps the hair is blocky because it's animated, and having lots of strands of hair would make that task too complex.

Or perhaps this is incredibly wishful thinking. :mrgreen:

Comments

• IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited May 2013
    There have been many topics in this, or more over about the sims themselves. It was the first picture of TS4 ever. Right now, take it lightly. Too many people are screaming bloody murder because the believe this is exactly what we're getting, right down to every thing detail. We can't even really speculate well enough because it's half a face! I don't think it represents graphics or any sure, locked down, no-wiggle-room details. Just wait for more information is all I can say.
  • MarchvioletsMarchviolets Posts: 42 Member
    edited May 2013
    Ifreshyeh wrote:
    It was the first picture of TS4 ever. Right now, take it lightly. Too many people are screaming bloody murder because the believe this is exactly what we're getting, right down to every thing detail.

Screaming murder? :shock: haha.

While the image we've been shown may not resemble the finalised version, as you said, this is the very first image EA has decided to go ahead and share with us. I think the fact it's the sole image EA has decided to use to communicate with the Sims community makes it a more, rather than less, significant image, as it's the valuable first impression that EA have decided to give to the fans. It seems reasonable to assume that EA are somewhat satisfied with the image, as if they were particularly unhappy with it, they needn't have released it. Hence the speculation and feedback.

The final version of The Sims 3 was quite different to the earliest images that were released, but a lot of people were still dissatisfied with details that were never worked out before the final game was released, such as poor lighting and facial definition, so it's reasonable to speculate.
    Ifreshyeh wrote:
    We can't even really speculate well enough because it's half a face! I don't think it represents graphics or any sure, locked down, no-wiggle-room details. Just wait for more information is all I can say.

Not attempting to lock down any details, and we're all waiting for more information, but in the meantime we've been given a forum for speculating about what we've been told/shown. :)
  • Cnstnc680Cnstnc680 Posts: 529 Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't really mind it that much, especially if it goes with the look of the sims. I mean, incredibly realistic hair on cartoony sims would look a bit odd.

I just hope that hair fits sims better. I hate the way a longer hairstyle will often stick out from the sims body, like it's completely flat and rigid. They look nice from the front and then you turn the sim to the side and they look like a walking weapon.

I also hope that hairstyles (again, longer ones) work better with clothes. It annoys me when a sim has a hoodie on and their hair is half coming through the hood.
  • darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited May 2013
    I really wish they would just tell us, because if this is how the Sims 4 Sims are going to look I don't want to waste any more of my time on this forum or even thinking about this game.

If TS4 is going to be that cartoony, I don't want it. I already don't play TS3 because of how the pudding Sims look. I was hoping for a more realistic look in TS4. :?
    edited May 2013
    Cnstnc680 wrote:
    They look nice from the front and then you turn the sim to the side and they look like a walking weapon.

Haha!! :mrgreen:
    If TS4 is going to be that cartoony, I don't want it. I already don't play TS3 because of how the pudding Sims look. I was hoping for a more realistic look in TS4. :?

I enjoy realism, too, but unmodded sims games have always had a slightly cartoony style (presumably to avoid "uncanny valley").

Cartoony textures aren't a problem if the actual facial structure and animations are done well (no more pudding and bug-eyed gawping), because I'm sure there will be plenty of mods for those that want them, adding further details/realism for skin, hair and eyes. I think the narrower faces, smaller irises and focussed eyes in the Sims 4 image seem like a promising start.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited May 2013
    That is a possibility.
    If hair grows or is animated, hair textures may have issues with stretching and distorting. Perhaps they would want to keep the textures simple.

Tomb Raider had animated hair without being blocky, but then again tomb raider is a very different game from The Sims.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phdb9QjDPm0
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    edited May 2013
    CK213 wrote:
    hair textures may have issues with stretching and distorting.

That's a very good point, I think that's a plausible explanation.

Hair animated similarly to the hair in the video you linked would be amazing. :shock: The movement would add a kind of realism that no amount of detailed texture could, it would be a fair compromise.
    edited May 2013
    Oh my gosh, that hair is amazing! I really doubt we'd get something like that though. I doubt hair that textured and animated could be customised much and I think customisation is what the sims is all about really. In terms of CAS anyway.
  • darkraven1753darkraven1753 Posts: 1,508 Member
    edited May 2013
    CK213 wrote:
    Tomb Raider had animated hair without being blocky, but then again tomb raider is a very different game from The Sims.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phdb9QjDPm0

She looks wonderful! Not like clay at all. :lol: That's what I want for TS4.
  • PirateJandcatsPirateJandcats Posts: 635 Member
    edited May 2013
    Tomb Raider's hair looks amazing but I'd rather have a cartoon effect with lots of gameplay and actually be able to play on a non-state of the art computer (cause I can't afford it) than have amazing graphics that become glitchy and can't run on my laptop. At least they're realistic looking cartoons than say family guy style, I'd cry if they looked like family guy :shock:
  • lovcatlovcat Posts: 1,146 Member
    edited May 2013
    The thing about hair physics for me is that it's always really light. I mean hair has some weight it but it's hard to make it look good. IMO at least.

The tomb raider video bothered me because of how flippy and whispy the hair was.
    edited May 2013
    I think it depends on the type of hair. And it does sound like there's a gale blowing in the background!
    I know when it's windy if I have strands that have come loose they're always blowing around and getting in my face and my mouth. (Ugh).

As for the ponytail itself - I thought it looked pretty good. If it's really windy your hair is going to blow about.

Bear in mind I'm talking about gale-force winds!
    edited May 2013
    Cnstnc680 wrote:
    I know when it's windy if I have strands that have come loose they're always blowing around and getting in my face and my mouth. (Ugh).

So true. Or long hair, windy weather and sticky lip gloss. Eurgh. :P
    I'd rather have a cartoon effect with lots of game play and actually be able to play on a non-state of the art computer

I imagine special effects would be optional? My computer isn't great, either, but it would be nice to have new and interesting things to look forwards to should I choose to upgrade it in the future? :)
    At least they're realistic looking cartoons than say family guy style, I'd cry if they looked like family guy :shock:

Right there with you! :lol:
    edited May 2013
    Or long hair, windy weather and eating outside! Hairy sandwich, mmmm....
  • Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    edited May 2013
    Well, I know hair look clayish while eyebrows look painted on. The only eyes and skintone look realistic. Like others, it is probably from an early development and also they are renders. Renders and Sims themselves in the game do not look alike in TS3.

As for me, I don't care if hair is going to grow or move or not, but it'd be nice, though, and also for it to look more realistic, not clayish.
  • simspartyguysimspartyguy Posts: 133 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Well, they did state they were changing the style. I honestly have no issues with it. You know people will make custom content hair anyway, so why even complain. I think the clay-like hair looks good anyway because it bring it back to the simplicity of the Sims, which I love! :mrgreen: