Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I don't think there should be height sliders...

I don't think there should be height sliders. But I don't think all Sims of the same age should be the same height. The happy medium? Since height sliders would be hard to animate as your Sim could be any height from 5 ft to 6 ft and they would interact with any Sim in any range of the same height, there could instead be three buttons you can press.

Three preset heights for Sims that you can switch between with a few inches' difference between them.

Comments

• IfreshyehIfreshyeh Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited May 2013
    I agree. The only way they can prevent the awful animations and horrible clipping between sims/ objects is if they have preset heights, because THEN they know what they're working with. Sliders will just cause more of a problem. Anyways, it's more likely that if they do add height at all, it'll be in preset heights, just some common sense.
  • MajinKitty230MajinKitty230 Posts: 92 Member
    edited May 2013
    I disagree with you, while height sliders may cause bugs and problems, it gives vairety to the game. Like for instance, in real life I am short for my age, around 4'8" and having tall sims sort of makes me feel like I can not be the same in-game when making a self-sim and that I'm forced to be something I'm not. While I know the sims is a game where you can just pretend, some people actually like to make their real families and how they look.
  • adventfearadventfear Posts: 1,766 Member
    edited May 2013
    The last thing the Sims series needs is more bugs and problems, honestly.
  • MajinKitty230MajinKitty230 Posts: 92 Member
    edited May 2013
    adventfear wrote:

I agree, but every game has its own problems even if the people that made it don't think so. I mean this is my own opinion but, every game has some sort of problems, we can't all have a perfect non buggy game.
  • SuicidalSpidersSuicidalSpiders Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited May 2013
    I've been saying this for a long time. lol I think it could work if they had three set stages of height. Tall, average and short. And they could overlap with the ages so they wouldn't have to make so many different animations. For example, a short ya/a/e would be the same height as an average teen, and a tall teen would be the same height as an average ya/a/e. And it would only be for teens and up.

Although, I'm sure it's not IMPOSSIBLE to make a slider and have the animations work...just IMPROBABLE at this point in time.
  • thesims3boythesims3boy Posts: 18,046 Member
    edited May 2013
    I believe if they had a reasonable limit, then I'm all for Sim height!
  • DragonWyngDragonWyng Posts: 92 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'd prefer a height slider myself, but I'd settle for preset heights as long as there was plenty to choose from. I don't think it would be that hard to implement a height slider, though. There are plenty of games that use height sliders. Also, there's at least a couple of slider mods for TS3 that can make your sims shorter or taller and they cause very little clipping.
  • SusiechanSusiechan Posts: 3,034 Member
    edited May 2013
    adventfear wrote:

I agree, but every game has its own problems even if the people that made it don't think so. I mean this is my own opinion but, every game has some sort of problems, we can't all have a perfect non buggy game.

Agree that we can't have a non buggy game. However if it makes it less buggy by removing the height sliders then I am all for it. :mrgreen:

I prefer a less buggy game than height sliders. If the game developer can make it works, that's good. If not, then height sliders should go :lol:.

• wishinstonezwishinstonez Posts: 448 Member
    edited May 2013
    Height presets = perfect solution.

Every game I've played with height sliders don't have to program in people kissing/hugging/holding hands or anything too interactive. It would be hell to make sims of very varying heights to interact without having a lot of weird looking animations I think.
  • peppapig1993peppapig1993 Posts: 243 Member
    edited May 2013
    Personally, I'm not bothered about height sliders at all. Although yes it would add more realism to the game, it is still a game. I'd much rather more depth in interaction and personality of the actual sims and a better genetics system and a really well thought out, fun game than height sliders. Presets could work but in my opinion they're insignificant compared to what I'd like to see in the core game!

Unpopular opinion!
    Origin ID: zobosims
  • AdrieCmAdrieCm Posts: 354 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Height presets, I agree with.
    I don't mind a height slider, but I like the idea of presets better.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited May 2013
    Actually if they build in an advanced animation interpolation system, you could have a full height slider without any problems.

The question is will they?
    raw
  • enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited May 2013
    Height variations would be cool. A slider would be best, but they could have presets too. I mean, when you adjust a painting's height on the wall, you can't put it anywhere, there are little "steps" as your roll your mousewheel up or down. That would be fine with height too, as long as there were no problems with animations between characters (most important aspect of the height concepts). Of course, a free slider would be better than "steps."

Anyways, my hopes are more focused on the sims having a lot of interactions with good animations, a wide variety of interactions and activities for all ages of sims, and deeper, more meaningful personalities that actually reveal themselves in the AI. If I get this AND height variations for sims, well then, I am all for that!! :lol:
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
  • Chimp2678Chimp2678 Posts: 4,072 Member
    edited May 2013
    If they could do that, then it is great :) It doesn't matter to me if heights are same or different for Sims.
  • candyeyedsimmycandyeyedsimmy Posts: 655 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I agree, to a degree...
    I've always thought height sliders would be seriously hard for them to integrate, but what I do think is a happy medium is maybe to have a set number of different heights, like say small, medium, tall - I would love to have different heights (I think this game really needs them) but I do think height sliders aren't going to happen, having set heights, maybe :)
  • BlyssciaBlysscia Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'd be happy with height presets.

I'd also like a more indepth turn-on/turn-off chemistry system with Sims 4.

Height presets would make it easier to incorporate "tall/short/average" preferences than height sliders.
  • alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    edited May 2013
    I think that having hight sliders might be to glitchy at this time. I can picture having one and then ending up with sims whos body is out of porportion. Like one has a long neck or their arms are super short. It could turn out really weird. But if theres a way so it dont end up looking wierd then thats fine. Also with the whole aging thing maybe they look fine in teen stage but age to an adult and end up looking weird.

I think hight would be cool but at this time Im thinking more that having set heights that could grow with age is a good idea. So really short, short, medium hight, tall, and really tall would be good choices. Also if you could set it with their age so they grow into it. Even though some ages you wont see any difference but it will be set and they grow into it. So you can have a short sim or a tall sim.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3