Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Curved Walls (And other build mode things!)

Comments

• Options
    gissencegissence Posts: 9
    edited May 2013
    Having won the Inspiring Creativity Salt Lake Studio trip last month with my building acumen I would have you implore them to:

A) Keep the following:
    1. CFE - I'm out of business without it
    2. CAW - likewise
    3. Tombs - I'm sounding greedy already. This one I'm prepared to loose...but
    B) Add the Following:
    1. Curved walls - yes of course
    2. Curved fences - to match the walls
    3. Sheer terrain tool - squared off raised wall in the terrain on the grid line
    4. Multiple floor cheat - I kept waiting in vain for it to show back up in v3
    5. Diagonal stairs
    C) Do the following:
    1. Improve the filming tool - filming a sweep across multiple lots is now a joke
    2. First person mode - This works nicely with the tombs, a mute point without tombs

There. That's off my chest.

Incidentally, did you know that Wil Wright's seedling ideas for The Sims started as an architectural design game he called Home Tactics.
  • Options
    AmaraRenaAmaraRena Posts: 6,533 Member
    edited May 2013
    I'm cheering for Curved Walls too! I'd also like pre-made in build mode, "L" shaped stairs.

Thanks!

This. And STAINED GLASS WINDOWS!!! LOTS OF THEM IN DIFFERENT STYLES AND ALL TOTALLY RECOLORABLE!
  • Options
    Ladyliberty1301Ladyliberty1301 Posts: 623 Member
    edited May 2013
    I would like the ability to change the temperature inside a house or building. If seasons were added it would work well. Like AC or open windows to cool and heat or open windows to warm.
    origin/gallery Id is Snaffles1301
    Twitter @Snaffles1301
  • Options
    HturnerPHturnerP Posts: 1,488 Member
    edited May 2013
    :)How about a tire swing that can be hung in a tree.A two seat swing hung from the porch roof.window seats. :)
  • Options
    bjjbabebjjbabe Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    And porch swings! :mrgreen: I would also love window seats especially for bay windows. And I would like to also be able to put decor in the bay windows as well. Our sims could read in them and watch the weather for a couple of new interactions.
  • Options
    thesimlingthesimling Posts: 4,486 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Different wall heights, which allows for split-levels with a proper height. Friezes in base game, along with curved pools and fountains. Also, fountain objects. Also, building on water (preferably).
  • Options
    Luckyoyo74Luckyoyo74 Posts: 101 Member
    edited May 2013
    I would love to see window seals that you can move up and down and left to right so they fit the window, also a auto save even when we are in build mode, I hate it at the moment, lofts is another one, apartment like we had in the sims 2, curved walls and half curved walls, curved pathways and curved fences, L shape stairs, easier way to make split level houses. :P
    Please click the Disagree, Agree, Like, LOL. Thank you
  • Options
    GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,615 Member
    edited May 2013
    Just like other Simmers mentioned... staircase! I would like to see L-shape, half-landing, and curved stairs. All different shapes of stairs... without the need for cheats!
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited May 2013
    Why is this thread on page four?

Up the forum with you!

BUMP!
  • Options
    yanti68yanti68 Posts: 19,017 Member
    edited May 2013
    I would like to see these in the build and buy mode for Sims 4:

* Curved walls

* CASable roofs

* CASable chimneys

* CASable flowers

* Skylights

* Tool for adjusting the width of the arch

* Roof height adjusting tool (like Sims 3)

* Glass floors

* Glass Domes

* Ability to build more than 5 floors

* Greenhouses

* More roof decorations for period builds

* Ability to create different shapes for pools (like in Sims 3). Infinity pool would be nice too. Without using cheats.

* Ability to build interactive yachts, ships and boats and not just boathouses

* Triangular shape windows for log cabin builds

* Grand staircases and spiral staircases
  • Options
    summerstrucksummerstruck Posts: 5 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I'd really like it if they made more matching sets (doors, windows). Also, what really got on my nerves in TS3, was how all doors were a different height and you could not recolor the doorknobs (most of which looked very "unorthodox" to begin with). You only really need two different heights: 1/1 (floor to ceiling) and 3/4 (floor to.. a little bit below the ceiling?)

But what I REALLY want is more options for windows. Sliding them up and down the wall like paintings would be amazing (especially for those bathroom windows, imagine if you could place those below each other). And it might be a nice idea to make all those normal sized windows be ABOVE counter top height. Nothing breaks my heart more than seeing the the back of my kitchen units from the garden.

In conclusion: more uniformity in door/window size and sliding windows up and down like paintings.
  • Options
    lenieceleniece Posts: 869 Member
    edited May 2013
    I want to be able to build Hogwarts castle, a quittidich field, a womping willow, a flying car, the ferris wheel in london.
    Open stores
    Basically everything from Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Star Wars, plus many others.
    Don't Worry, Be Happy. Have Fun :D
  • Options
    JacobRuehlmanJacobRuehlman Posts: 495 New Member
    edited May 2013
    I think it would be so cool to have Recreational Vehicles (RV's). To be able to drive them and live in them at the same time or own a home and have it parked in your driveway and take it traveling/on vacation would be so neat! I know this wouldn't be a base game idea... but just thought I'd share since Sims 4 is focusing on the Sims themselves and activities our sims can do and such... thought this would be a great idea! :)

Edit: Sorry... this has nothing to do with build mode :p
  • Options
    SeanT346SeanT346 Posts: 307 Member
    edited May 2013
    I really shouldn't be procrastinating from my final college assignment but I can’t resist posting on this thread! By the way James, I love your videos and think you’re the best Sims 3 builder on YouTube. Get ready for an essay of ideas! :lol:
    This is how I envision (dream, really) The Sims 4 Build Mode interface to look like:

LEFT PANEL:
    Hand/Drag Tool: The Hand Tool would not just be capable of dragging walls in and out but would now also work on individual roof sections. Roofs are definitely one of the most frustrating aspects of building for me so anything that makes them easier to build.
    Create-A-Style Tool: The CAS tool will now be able to recolour plants, roofs and chimneys.
    Eyedropper Tool
    Sledgehammer Tool
    Crane Tool: This allows you to pick up a series of connected rooms and drop them elsewhere on the lot. So let’s say you build your house too close to the road, the crane tool will allow you to pick it up and move it further away from the road (or vice-versa).
    Day/Night Tool
    Grid Tool
    Blueprint Mode: A variety of premade blueprints to be available and allowing players to make their own and save them for later use.
    Undo/Redo Buttons

RIGHT PANEL:
    Wall Tools: Includes rectangular walls, diagonal rectangular walls, rectangular curved walls, diagonal curved walls, rectangular half walls and curved half walls. I also like the idea of being able to make sort of ramshackle tents, sheds or shacks for your Sims so maybe more dishevelled or canvass-y walls would work.

Foundation Tools: Includes rectangular, diagonal and curved variations. Also a slider like what we currently have with stairs could toggle how high a foundation is. Really low foundations could act as stages or work as doorsteps, doorsteps that don’t need stairs connected for Sims to access. Easier split levelling and being able to attach walls on a foundation to walls without or on higher/lower foundations would also be greatly appreciated. Stilted foundations would be brilliant too!

Roofs/Ceilings: Includes straight, diagonal and curved variations and a choice of texture. Glass roofs and thatched roofs would be very much appreciated even if they don’t make the base game. It would also be great if there was an easier way of making dormers and attics built directly into the roof. Skylights are a must too!

Basements: The basement tool similar to what we have in The Sims 3 but without the black layer around it and being allowed to put in windows and doors. It would be great to make underground car parks etc. without the need for cheats.

Stairs/Elevators/Ladders: The ability to build U-shaped and L-shaped stairs in an easy and simple way. I would also love a trapdoor with pull out stairs which would work for Sims climbing down into their basements or up into their attics. The number of storeys in a house should expand…perhaps to 10-12 floors.

Ceilings: It would be great to have this just so we could shift the camera angle towards the ceiling (something that is sometimes difficult to do in houses in The Sims 3) and allow us to add wooden beams or other structural items to our Sims ceilings.

Wall Coverings

Floor Coverings

Doors/Arches: The ability to use a slider to expand the width and height of all doors would be great. Even being able to change a single door into a double door would be a great asset!

Windows: The ability to use a slider to expand the width and height of all windows. What I’ve also noticed that windows in all the Sims games have never actually had window sills. So an option to toggle on and off window sills for both exterior and interior of windows would be great, similar to how railings can be toggled on and off for stairs. You should be able to place things like plants and photographs on window sills.

Columns/Friezes/Alcoves/Shelves: It would be wonderful to have less cumbersome columns that maybe fit in with the buildings more. I guess that could best be achieved by being able to control the width as well as the height of columns. Better columns and friezes can give houses – particularly houses intended to be old stately homes – a more realistic look. I also like the idea of being able to build an alcove into a wall. Let’s say you could just stick in a big semi-circle alcove into a wall. Similar to the alcove in the left of this image: http://www.tjbhomes.com/specmodels/2578_tournament_players_circle/images/img_24862.jpg. And then you could place a shelf inside the alcove. Shelves would come in a variety of shapes and the length is determined by dragging it out like the wall tool. I believe the positioning of a shelf can be decided to be placed on the higher, middle or lower part of the wall.

Fences/Gates: I’d like to see both fences and gates have height sliders and in the case of gates with sliders. That way you could build a very high, grandiose perimeter around your Sim’s stately mansion.

Trees/Shrubs/Flowers/Rocks: I would like these to be CAS-table if possible. Also remove the limitations of their placement. Without ‘moveobjects on’, it’s very difficult to get rocks to line up the way you want them. Maybe the ability to build non-rabbithole treehouses into tree branches would be good too and use ladders to connect.

Terrain Tools: The ability to…I guess…more easily build houses on elevated terrain or lowered terrain would be nice. I know it’s doable right now but when I start playing around with the terrain tool, I normally end up with a pretty messy looking hill in my garden. Maybe they could give an option where you can heighten terrain but also have a straight driveway going up to/down to the house.

Terrain Paints: I would like the option of having a tile type tool to make some terrain painting easier. I’m all for spraying dirt and sand around my house randomly but if you want to make a driveway with the gravel terrain, it sometimes sprays too far to the left or right. Maybe if we had the option to paint them on as tiles, it would be easier.

Fireplaces: Just recolourable chimneys. Also if cheap fireplaces didn’t cause fires so much. Hey, I love a bit of chaos in my Sims’ lives but unless you have a really expensive fireplace, a lit fireplace in The Sims 3 sets fire to your Sims’ house every six Sim hours or so.

Swimming Pools/Fountains: Hopefully, they will be available in rectangular/ curved/circular varieties with spouts and a DIVING BOARD from the beginning! Haha!

Ponds: Water ponds should be swimmable. I also love the idea of having a pond filled with lava or toxic waste just in case you’re into playing out more quirky scenarios.

Awnings: I would like the ability to build my own awnings again; similar to how we could in The Sims 2: Bon Voyage. Be able to build awnings out from windows and doors no matter how big would be another decent addition.

Greenhouse: Maybe not for the base game but being able to build fully glass houses with glass roofs like we could on The Sims 2: Seasons would be a welcome addition for most Sims fans I think.

Shells: I really like the idea of sticking a giant pyramid or giant ball on a lot and building a house within the confines of that shell. You could build something like the ‘Pyramid’ nightclub or something and have a fully functional rectangular building you made yourself inside this ‘shell’.

Structural Items: Stick drainpipes, ceiling fans and radiators in here or something along those lines. After listening to QZJ with The Sims Supply, I’m in full agreement with James that we should have weather in the base game.

The Sims will eventually lose fans if EA keeps putting out the same packs over and over again! There are all my build mode ideas. I commend you if you read through it all but I hope EA takes on some of the ideas on board! :)
  • Options
    alverdinedrakealverdinedrake Posts: 111 Member
    edited May 2013
    SeanT346 I love all of your ideas, particularly the crane tool (too often have I almost fully finished a house then realised it would have been ideal just a mere 2 tiles back) and the foundation height slider (no more fiddly messing around with the terrain tool and cfe cheat!).

I really hope someone's taking notice of this thread. I think a decent amount of The Sims' fan base are people like myself who only really enjoy the building aspect, but will still buy almost every expansion/stuff pack just to have all the objects and tools.

They mentioned making significant changes to build/buy, fingers crossed they really mean it.
  • Options
    libra_stylelibra_style Posts: 1,229 Member
    edited May 2013
    Curved walls would be awesome but you already know what that means if they do that then they'll have to make new curvy furniture OH YEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!!!!!.

Also I would love to able to build apartments or actual business type buildings.
  • Options
    luckycrth91luckycrth91 Posts: 91 Member
    edited May 2013
    Can we get rid of little quirks like this?

tumblr_mmz5rvZNU81rzfgvyo1_500.jpg

So annoyed that it doesn't look like this:

427-6e-1924-w560x420.jpg
  • Options
    mr014mr014 Posts: 1,648 Member
    edited June 2013
    The definitely need to bring back the indoor foundation tool from TS2 into TS3 to allow us to make split-level homes without cheats and tons of issues (like the lighting and warped walls etc) and limitations.
  • Options
    Greenowl77Greenowl77 Posts: 253 Member
    edited June 2013
    Build mode wants:

1. Color-able plants.
    2. Color-able roofing tiles
    3. A way to make L shaped stairs without killing yourself with "constrainfloorelevation"
    4. Re-sizable windows. Have one window skin but give it a connecting texture so you can make them as large or as small as you want width-wise.
    5. Curved walls would be fantastic also curved fencing and make windows, doors and gates place-able on them.
    6. An option to make non squared lots like you would have on a circle with each lot having less road front and more towards the back of the lot. Or even have lots conform to the road front they have so the sidewalk is always flush with the lot.
    7. ALSO please please please give us a search function and the ability to change the size of thumbnails in order be considerate of simmers who have trouble seeing the very tiny ones in sims3.

I know it's a long list but I LOVE building lots on the sims and these things would make the base game fantastic.
  • Options
    rebeccam744rebeccam744 Posts: 92 Member
    edited June 2013
    What has always bothered me is the upper cabinets in Sims 3. I love that they added them and they're key to building a great kitchen but wall cabinets are not the same depth as the counter. It would be great if they were half the depth like in real life :)

I know this is such a minor point but it's one of my main complaints with Sims 3 (I guess if that is the main complaint it's done pretty well!)
  • Options
    lenieceleniece Posts: 869 Member
    edited June 2013
    Would like to say Thank You for doing this thread. Sorry, should have done this before.
    Also Congratulations on attending and Good Luck to share these ideas with the Sims 4 team.
    Just thought of something else.
    Dutch doors - that are animated. Open the top of the door separately.
    Screen doors - that can be seen through.
    Doggie doors inside regular doors. These should also be lockable, unlockable to allow animals inside a structure or not.
    Ability to easily make our own style of doors and windows.
    Wall height options - 1, 2, 3, etc stories.
    Coved? ceilings - able to make stepped ceilings for more depth. Like reverse platforms for building up. I think I know what I mean.
    Able to add baseboards,crown mouldings , dado to any wall.
    A build tool and/or clone tool to easily make our own build items.
    Yes to all the great previous ideas posted.
    Thank you.
    Don't Worry, Be Happy. Have Fun :D
  • Options
    shadowmel333shadowmel333 Posts: 83 Member
    edited June 2013
    I want to be able to build decent roofs without having to use cheats and spend hours trying to understand how to proceed. Please, more roofing options so that making a roof isn't as frustrating as it is now.
  • Options
    WibbleLikeAJellyWibbleLikeAJelly Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited June 2013
    Flabalaki - I love your YouTube work, so I'd like to take the opportunity to say thank you for sharing your prvilieges with us in regards to the Sims 4!

I've only just had the thought, but I'd really love different wall heights — you know, to fit in with foundations, etc? I really think CFE would become less scary if there were a wall type which would snap to the height of a foundation (perfect for joining garages, split levels, staircases etc.). Perhaps if we were given three wall types: Regular, Curved and Height-Adjustable, we could have more freedom?

Does anyone else have any developments for the idea?

--Wibble :)

Oh, and a little addendum... I'd love to see the wall width halved, to match the new grid introduced in TS3. I my opinion it seems odd they didn't do that anyway... I would make "wall columns" much more attractive to build, and more practical, as less space would be wasted! ;)
  • Options
    CaliLizardCaliLizard Posts: 171
    edited June 2013
    - The ability to have a bed against the wall and still have two people get into it.

- A children's tea party table that mom's and dad's can sit at

- More options with windows, for instance even if my sims don't have a 2nd level if the roof permits it I like the added attic window.

- Better landscape options for your yard,flower bushes, and tree's. Idea's include being able to have circular bricks placed around tree's, Walk way stones ect.

- crooked staircases, not sure on actual name but not the straight down stairs, and not the round ones (love those too) but the ones that L shape.

- Columns you can combine to make arches in your home or outside of it.

Thats all I can think of for now.
  • Options
    CaliLizardCaliLizard Posts: 171
    edited June 2013
    What has always bothered me is the upper cabinets in Sims 3. I love that they added them and they're key to building a great kitchen but wall cabinets are not the same depth as the counter. It would be great if they were half the depth like in real life :)

I know this is such a minor point but it's one of my main complaints with Sims 3 (I guess if that is the main complaint it's done pretty well!)

this reminds me, Use of Cabinets! lets actually use them, for storage or grabbing plates