Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 World Creation

Nobody knows how worlds (or whatever they'll be called) in The Sims 4 will work, but whatever you do EA, please give us something easier than CAW. I've came up with some ways that CAW could be changed to make it a lot easier.

More Pre-made Heightmaps + Flat Areas

There were only a few heightmaps that came with CAW, and they're difficult to sculpt to create flat areas for lots. There should be more pre-made heightmaps, and they should contain flat areas.

Improved Autopaint

This feature is an absolute must for a user-friendly world creation system! In both SimCity 4, and neighborhoods in The Sims 2 that are made from SC4 files, the terrain is painted in a more complex way. The TS4 world creator's autopaint tool should paint the terrain in a similar way that SC4 and TS2 do (and use more than two textures), and adding details yourself shouldn't be mandatory to create a good world.

To complement this, selecting the terrain type (lush or desert) should change more than just the first texture.

If this is used in combination with pre-made heightmaps, it would be almost as easy to make a world as it was in The Sims 2.

Updates

The program should be updated with new textures, and possibly new heightmaps and terrain type templates. They could even require expansion packs containing the textures to work. That would encourage people to buy more packs and surely you can't resist the lure of more money, EA?

World Types

We should be able to make downtown, university, holiday/vacation worlds, etc... without modding the game, not just main worlds. It would be even better if we could attach worlds to the base world, similar to the TS2 subhoods system.

Bridge Tool (new suggestion)

Rather than having to place bridge objects and align them, there should be a tool that lets you create your own bridges easily. You should be able to choose the bridge style, and it should automatically scale to the amount of space needed.

Also, suggested by Cinderellimouse, there should also be footbridges that work like sidewalks, that sims can go across but not vehicles.

Comments

• Urosh1994Urosh1994 Posts: 2,425 Member
    edited May 2013
    YES! :mrgreen: Agree with all of these. :)

+1
  • ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited May 2013
    Urosh1994 wrote:
    YES! :mrgreen: Agree with all of these. :)

+1

Whoa, that was a quick response. :shock:

And thanks! :D
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited May 2013
    Nice!

I'd also like different shaped intersection to stop the roads looking so grid-y. All the effects from different worlds to show (like the lighthouse effect). I'd also like footbridges that connect to sidewalks.
  • Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited May 2013
    Agreed.

The CAW tool was a great idea. To me, it feels like releasing it for TS3 was almost an experiment on EA's part. And it was successful. Now I'm ready for a big improvement.

For TS4 it shouldn't just be a like developer feature they released to the public. "Here's our world tool, go see what you can do with it". It should be much more refined, have much more features, it should be constantly updated with whatever new features an EP brings, rather than only updating it so that it's compatible with the game. Maybe some more in-depth instructions and tutorials to give it an easier learning curve.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they did away with the tool completely for TS4 so that there's no competition for store worlds :? IMO, I think that's why they started doing the world-specific Premium Content items, so that CAW worlds were never on the same level as Store worlds.
    edited May 2013
    Callum9432 wrote:
    Agreed.

The CAW tool was a great idea. To me, it feels like releasing it for TS3 was almost an experiment on EA's part. And it was successful. Now I'm ready for a big improvement.

For TS4 it shouldn't just be a like developer feature they released to the public. "Here's our world tool, go see what you can do with it". It should be much more refined, have much more features, it should be constantly updated with whatever new features an EP brings, rather than only updating it so that it's compatible with the game. Maybe some more in-depth instructions and tutorials to give it an easier learning curve.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they did away with the tool completely for TS4 so that there's no competition for store worlds :? IMO, I think that's why they started doing the world-specific Premium Content items, so that CAW worlds were never on the same level as Store worlds.

Since I started using CAW I've been MORE excited about store worlds because I know they'll be full of new goodies to play with like new rabbithole styles, new trees, and new unique world objects.

I think CAW means more people purchase the store worlds because the world creators use the new unique features in their worlds, and the players have to buy the store worlds anyway!

For me CAW means the gurus are pushed to produce better quality worlds with more content. I think it's actually quite a good thing! I would love for store worlds to become mini-expansions with more premium content and additional gameplay to create a fuller experience. I hope that's what we're getting with dragon valley!

If they take away these kind of features that allow us to customise the game in our own way I think they are taking away much of the appeal of the game overall. I'd get so bored if I couldn't go off and start faffing around with things like this! More creativity = happier players! Happy players = more money spent on the game.
    edited May 2013
    I'd also like footbridges that connect to sidewalks.

Since you've brought up bridges, I thought it would be a good idea to have a tool that lets you create bridges without placing objects. :D Footbridges sound good too. :D
    edited May 2013
    I don't know how to explain this but it's something I've been thinking about for a while...

You can place items either on the ot or in the world but they don't really overlap. Sometimes I want to make a lot that includes part of a world item. For example, a lot that crosses over the train track so I can build a platform or have a train station or rail bridge. I wish we could build a bit more freely in that respect.

Something else I desperately want in caw is steps. Like how you can place steps on lots and they sort-of hug the terrain. I'd love something like that in caw so I could make things like this:

P1010198.jpg

Beach_Steps_by_voodoo_cowboy.jpg

June2009024.jpg

MountTaborMegiddoJune192012041.jpg

9e75.jpg

2ee18cf1.jpg

Distracted... how nice are these steps?!

P1000436.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Also being able to move in households and save world with premade families. It's such pain to do it now with those hacks and mods and tricks. Can't it be simple?
    edited May 2013
    Urosh1994 wrote:
    Also being able to move in households and save world with premade families. It's such pain to do it now with those hacks and mods and tricks. Can't it be simple?

Yes! Great point!!! We should just be able to place an occupied lot! I think I remember a guru tweeting about this though, I think they have trouble with it too.
    edited May 2013
    Those steps look amazing! :o

I agree with being able to add pre-made households too. :D

Hopefully they actually plan ahead this time so they won't have bugs that prevent adding features. Same with the travel system, I heard that one of the reasons subhoods are so rare in TS3 is that the system came out buggy.
  • MissFelixiaMissFelixia Posts: 1,164 New Member
    edited May 2013
    i seriously doubt they will release something that allows you to make worlds so easily for us anyways. i wouldn't be surprised if the version the devs use is way more advanced with features. people make good worlds with that tool already but make it easier and you'd have no one buying EA worlds :/ you know what i would like? the tool they use to do animations but yeh that's not gonna happen. if it does that would be amazing. i'd even be willing to pay money for that to
  • alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    edited May 2013
    Whatever it includes, I hope the world tool is built into the game so that we don't have to wait an extra 6 months like we did with CAW. Shipping it with the game would also make it Mac compatible. ;)
    edited May 2013
    Whatever it includes, I hope the world tool is built into the game so that we don't have to wait an extra 6 months like we did with CAW. Shipping it with the game would also make it Mac compatible. ;)

Yeah that would be best! :D
  • niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited May 2013
    This isn't a want, this is absolutely necessary.
    edited May 2013
    Let's hope EA acknowledges that! :D
    edited May 2013
    Gurus, please move this to The Sims 4 forum. :D
    edited May 2013
    I think we'll be able to edit world in-game! :shock: Description says editing our world, so it must be that!
    edited May 2013
    Urosh1994 wrote:
    I think we'll be able to edit world in-game! :shock: Description says editing our world, so it must be that!

There's a description?

I wish I hadn't stopped to take a break, now I'm behind on all the information. :? :?
    edited May 2013
    It says:

"The Sims 4 encourages players to personalize their world with new and intuitive tools while offering them the ability to effortlessly share their creativity with friends and fans."

I sure hope they really mean WORLD, not game in general :D
    edited May 2013
    I didn't think of it that way, but if it really means world then I'm even more excited about it. :D
  • Rachelrita3Rachelrita3 Posts: 485 Member
    edited May 2013
    I completely agree with you. I hate CAW tool. Its way too much complicated and not to mention the bugs.
    beyoncepepsi.gif
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    edited May 2013
    There aren't any bugs in CAW. :shock:
  • maggie4756maggie4756 Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    YES to bridges & steps!!! Also tunnels. And rivers that flow downhill - even if only a chain of pools linked by waterfalls.

How about a forest painter - like the terrain painter but with trees (easier than placing individual ones if you want a large area of them); it would place them randomly sized & oriented; we could pick from a list which species to include; a tree density slider would be useful; and the forested area would be automatically unroutable.

It would also be nice if terrain changes on lots affected the terrain beneath & around them - so no breaks at the edges of lots.
    Do lots have to be rectangular?
    Please, please, PLEASE let us build right to the edges of lots - maybe not doors & windows, but why not plain walls & foundations? And is there any way to let lots touch? I want to make a terrace of houses on a sloping street - they could touch without being physically connected. And it might be nice to be able to buy the lot next door and merge it with your original lot, as your sims get richer.

Sorry, got a bit carried away - only meant to agree with you!!
  • Redmen500Redmen500 Posts: 27
    edited May 2013
    Yes! The Sims 3 CAW is overly complex!
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited May 2013

I too want to be able to move roads and change the worlds in game instead of CAW. It would be so nice to be able to delete roads or add roads while you play and move a mountain or add a lake etc.