Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Very Odd Genetics Situation

Let me try to explain this as best I can:

I have a child Sim born in-game, he's adorable, and all that stuff. But I'm not going on about that.

The thing is, the kid has blue eyes, and dark hair. Both his parents are blond. I read somewhere that children can inherit genes from their grandparents, so I thought to check it out.

Here's the family tree from the mom's side:

mbu1vl.png
(To clarify, his mom was the baby Jenni Jones-Brown is pregnant with at the start of the game)
Obviously, both his grandparents would be blondes (hard to tell here, since Goodwin's an Elder, and Jenni's dead). The only Sim on here with dark hair would be great-granddad Lenny.

Of course, I didn't rule it out. But to make sure, I checked dad's side as well. And, well, here's where it got even weirder:

29ckh2x.jpg

See, Daddy's adopted. By two guys. (The old guy on the tree with long white hair would be an Elder Sinbad Rotter, married to an Adult Shark Racket) Therefore, this kid is technically not related to his paternal grandparents.

I don't use mods, and the child Sim himself wasn't adopted. I made sure his parents conceived him, and had him naturally.

So either genetics can stretch more generations than I thought (maternal), or this kid somehow inherited genes from two Sims he's not blood-related to (paternal).

Is there an explanation for all this, or are Sim genetics just weird?
AO3: Silver_Shortage_in_Markarth <(Where I'm usually at nowadays)
MQ2gUyY.jpg
Part One(Complete 9/24/16) /Part Two(on hold)/Short Stories(on hold)/Twinbrook 1996(on hold)/Ten Crystal Hearts (on hold)
I own the TS3 Store as of 12/11/16 (sort of. It's complicated)

Comments

• alexmgleekalexmgleek Posts: 186 New Member
    edited April 2013
    That is so weird but SO cool! Congrats on this awesome creation! I had a similar case but milder. I had a blonde/pink haired sim created in CAS and a male with light brown hair created without parents in the game and they had 7 children, mos had either blonde and pink hair or brown hair, but one daughter had Jett black hair. She is my heir :)
  • sweetlittlecherrysweetlittlecherry Posts: 477 New Member
    edited April 2013
    Hello! I read somewhere that with any Sim child there is a ten percent chance of genetic mutation. I often get Sim kids with random hair colours that don't seem to come from their families so maybe that's what happened with you too!
  • shadowcat85shadowcat85 Posts: 5,219 Member
    edited April 2013
    Well I do know sim legacy kids keep taking their genetics from the grandparents rather than parents. All the sims in the family have black hair and then Ayla was born with medium brown hair. I was confused over that till I went into CAS on the great grandmother Yumi Sekemoto and found that as a young adult she had the exact same hair color as Ayla. Yumi starts the game as an elder so I had never seen her with brown hair lol.
    tumblr_inline_ne699tiMiG1r36c5t.gif

• melissam311554melissam311554 Posts: 824 Member
    edited April 2013
    Sims 3 genetics are strange. There's a chance sims can get genes from grandparents (even if, as in your case, they're not genetically related), and there's always a chance of a random mutation throwing in different hair and eye colours.

So, your choice: genes from non-genetically-related grandparents, or random mutation :P
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited April 2013

Sims 3 genetics are weird and extremely frustrating.

• horrorfan1980shorrorfan1980s Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited April 2013
    Sims 3 genetics are strange. There's a chance sims can get genes from grandparents (even if, as in your case, they're not genetically related), and there's always a chance of a random mutation throwing in different hair and eye colours.

So, your choice: genes from non-genetically-related grandparents, or random mutation :P

That's true. One of my old sims had a daughter, who married a female werewolf. Before I moved them out, I had them adopt a son. When that son had his own child later on through SP, that kid was also a werewolf. He also had the same hair colour as his other grandmother, even though they weren't at all related.
    can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will boxed after sword is out.
  • NofravellNofravell Posts: 975 Member
    edited April 2013
    Sometimes I wonder if the children added to the family through adoption counts as biological kids even though they really should not. Perhaps the game recalculates their DNA to make them similar to the family.That's the only solution I can come up with from reading your posts.

To bad we can't see wich child who's adopted in the family tree when their parents are straight. It would be a fun detail to add to the game.
  • ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    edited April 2013
    i believe any family member is added to the gene pool, blood relation or not. so adopted kids and step parents will pass their genes on