Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Very Early Look at The Sims 4?! (Pre-Production UI)

Comments

• Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited April 2013
    And, I also like the UI. It just strikes me as a severe improvement.
    Can you please explain to me what UI is as I don't know.

User Interface.

You know that blue bar section at the bottom of Sims 3 that has buttons to let you switch what level of a house you're on and all of that? That's a UI.
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited April 2013

UI means "user interface". It's how you interact with the game. The bar that shows you everything about your sims and all of the options you have is the UI.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    Cali_Pier92Cali_Pier92 Posts: 1,671 Member
    edited April 2013

User Interface.

You know that blue bar section at the bottom of Sims 3 that has buttons to let you switch what level of a house you're on and all of that? That's a UI.
    Thanks.

It seems like they're focusing on single YA Sims like they did during the first half of TS3. :roll:

Also, when is E3?
  • Options
    sunshineandsimoleonssunshineandsimoleons Posts: 8,413 Member
    edited April 2013
    Urosh1994 wrote:
    If you like it - buy it. If you don't - just stop ruining all the pleasure to those of us who have waited for something like this to happen.

And now... adios, for some time :lol:

I don't think you should go either! You're just posting your opinion. :)

..But whos ruining it? This thread is for people of all opinions to post- not just the ones who love it! Like I said, I personally wouldn't buy it if it was like that - online only, or sims social-like. Whos to say it still looks like that though. For all we know they could have used pictures from sims social to show off the new UI. I'm sure after 4 years of development (and probably more to come) the game will be better than ever!

(if there even is a sims 4- I haven't been completely convinced yet.)
    WLfAA9V.png
  • Options
    ZerbuZerbu Posts: 3,457 Member
    edited April 2013
    Also, when is E3?

It's June 11-13, but there will be a conference from EA on the 10th.
  • Options
    Cali_Pier92Cali_Pier92 Posts: 1,671 Member
    edited April 2013
    Zerbu wrote:
    Also, when is E3?

It's June 11-13, but there will be a conference from EA on the 10th.
    That's ages away.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited April 2013
    I suspect the comments at simsvip upset Urosh. They're pretty bad. :oops: Sorry Urosh!!!

If every simmer was like you then the multiplayer world would be a beautiful place! <3
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    That's ages away.

Yeah, but at least there's the scuba diving live broadcast for Island Paradise to look forward to, assuming it's before then. :mrgreen:

I'm happy that there's at least two milestones to look forward to before Island Paradise.
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited April 2013
    I just see a developer console / UI. It's highly doubtful that will be anything like the finished product, whatever it is.
    Those screens do seem to have rather an MMO type feel to it. Especially in picture two, with the "add friends" list, and some kind of leveling system ( it says "Level 30 Romance Skill )

Whether it actually IS an MMO remains yet to be seen. I hope the picture in the console of the shopping cart doesn't indicate the presence of an in game store, even this early on in development. Priorities.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Pary wrote:
    I just see a developer console / UI. It's highly doubtful that will be anything like the finished product, whatever it is.
    Those screens do seem to have rather an MMO type feel to it. Especially in picture two, with the "add friends" list, and some kind of leveling system ( it says "Level 30 Romance Skill )

Whether it actually IS an MMO remains yet to be seen. I hope the picture in the console of the shopping cart doesn't indicate the presence of an in game store, even this early on in development. Priorities.

Well, they've always used the terminology "skill level", but not in the way shown in the screenshot. The terms could just be part of the mock-up though.

But there are definitely single player features available though. As I said previously, there are interactions like "Brag", "Flirt" and "Impress". Clicking on interaction names like that would be useless if you were interacting with a real person.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    On the screenshot where there is a big group of sims you can see three different colours of plumbobs: green, blue and grey. I'm guessing the green is your sim, the blue is your friends who are online, the grey is an NPC or offline friend.

And romancing with real people in he game? That seems so weird to me! Would it be teen rated?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    On the screenshot where there is a big group of sims you can see three different colours of plumbobs: green, blue and grey. I'm guessing the green is your sim, the blue is your friends who are online, the grey is an NPC or offline friend.

And romancing with real people in he game? That seems so weird to me! Would it be teen rated?

I was talking about the fact that it showed interaction names. Clicking on interactions wouldn't serve any useful purpose if it was with a real person, other than running animations.
  • Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited April 2013
    Zerbu wrote:

I was talking about the fact that it showed interaction names. Clicking on interactions wouldn't serve any useful purpose if it was with a real person, other than running animations.

Those interaction names are why it is I think it's not primarily online.

Why? Because the game would violate the T rating in more ways than I can count if those were between real people. And that's before you get into the couple dozen state laws, half a dozen federal laws, and couple of international laws it would violate.

Edit: And I just checked. Sadly, the result would violate more laws than genocide would. And I wish I were joking.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Zerbu wrote:
    Well, they've always used the terminology "skill level", but not in the way shown in the screenshot. The terms could just be part of the mock-up though.

But there are definitely single player features available though. As I said previously, there are interactions like "Brag", "Flirt" and "Impress". Clicking on interaction names like that would be useless if you were interacting with a real person.

They could be. They could also be labels for online, in game "emotes". Who knows. I'd like to think they're going to ditch the dialogue wheel in the end, too. I never did like that in ME, and it was worse in DA2.
    I have no doubt that certain aspects, or, perhaps even a majority of Sims 4 will be "multiplayer", I believe they have been testing reactions, and grooming the community for it, with the introduction of all this social networking rubbish in sims 3.
    I don't think they're silly enough to actually remove single player in its entirety, but I believe they're going to be having a very good shot at making it online.

Perhaps its why this generation of the game has been dumbed down so much - because they're aiming it at the younger, target audience who don't know much else except social networking and MMO type games.

PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Zerbu wrote:

Why? Because the game would violate the T rating in more ways than I can count if those were between real people. And that's before you get into the couple dozen state laws, half a dozen federal laws, and couple of international laws it would violate.

It's just so wrong and weird to think of it! :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Pary wrote:

Perhaps its why this generation of the game has been dumbed down so much - because they're aiming it at the younger, target audience who don't know much else except social networking and MMO type games.

My four year old was using CAW... they shouldn't treat younger players like idiots. :?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Pary wrote:
    Zerbu wrote:

They could be. They could also be labels for online, in game "emotes". Who knows. I'd like to think they're going to ditch the dialogue wheel in the end, too. I never did like that in ME, and it was worse in DA2.
    I have no doubt that certain aspects, or, perhaps even a majority of Sims 4 will be "multiplayer", I believe they have been testing reactions, and grooming the community for it, with the introduction of all this social networking rubbish in sims 3.
    I don't think they're silly enough to actually remove single player in its entirety, but I believe they're going to be having a very good shot at making it online.

I wouldn't mind multiplayer features, as long as they don't detract from single player features.

If they have been testing reactions and such, then if they were sensible they'd realize that the reactions were negative and would change it as fast as they could. After Showtime, the quality of their expansion packs improved and they went back to giving players what they want, so there's hope. Even if they've been working on TS4 for a while, it turned out that SimCity could be made offline with just a few code changes, so it shouldn't be hard for the developers to make a last minute change.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    They treat everyone like idiots. They very nearly always have.

Edit -
    Zerbu wrote:
    I wouldn't mind multiplayer features, as long as they don't detract from single player features.

If they have been testing reactions and such, then if they were sensible they'd realize that the reactions were negative and would change it as fast as they could. After Showtime, the quality of their expansion packs improved and they went back to giving players what they want, so there's hope. Even if they've been working on TS4 for a while, it turned out that SimCity could be made offline with just a few code changes, so it shouldn't be hard for the developers to make a last minute change.

Yes, you'd think they would realise wouldn't you, but apparently, somewhere out there, ( ie. SimCity 5 ) in EA-land, there are thousands of people just dying for online and multiplayer features, even in the Sims. Where they get this figure, I'll never know, but from reading articles and whatnot, EA firmly believes that online gaming is the future of games and what all gamers want.

Those of us here on the boards that dismiss the idea of online stuff are but a tiny drop in a large puddle, and they're unlikely to pay us any real attention.
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Edit: And I just checked. Sadly, the result would violate more laws than genocide would. And I wish I were joking.

I'm not sure what those interactions, or the romance skill (and any other social skill they decide to add), would do in the first place if it was with a real person, besides make the sims perform animations.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Pary wrote:
    Yes, you'd think they would realise wouldn't you, but apparently, somewhere out there, ( ie. SimCity 5 ) in EA-land, there are thousands of people just dying for online and multiplayer features, even in the Sims. Where they get this figure, I'll never know, but from reading articles and whatnot, EA firmly believes that online gaming is the future of games and what all gamers want.

Those of us here on the boards that dismiss the idea of online stuff are but a tiny drop in a large puddle, and they're unlikely to pay us any real attention.

The CEO of EA who came up with the idea of making everything online has since resigned, so hopefully the new CEO won't make that same mistake.

I'm not sure where the thousands of players screaming for online features are. I've never seen them.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I think they're all inside the blue pill or the red pill that EA management must be required to take each day ;)
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    SugarRaveSugarRave Posts: 2,552 Member
    edited April 2013
    Something is giving me a tablet sort of vibe from this, especially since that chick with the streak in her hair resembles one of the npcs from sims social.

On the other hand, I like that one of the shots seems to show placeholders for more than one thumbnail (on the left side, stacked horizontally like always). Maybe that's a sign that it won't be an mmo?

Although if it IS an mmo, I highly doubt it'll take on the sims 4 name, regardless of what they called the project in that first screenshot. People don't always name their files or documents according to that's actually in them.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited April 2013
    Yuck. :/

I'm all for multiplayer (to some extent - perhaps Minecraft server setup) and I'm well aware that this is very early, but honestly, I don't like the direction they're going in already. The early screenshots, believe it or not, do tend to look a bit like the final product.

Early Sims 3 Screenshots:
    http://www.gamesradar.com/the-sims-3/slideshow/#screenshot/74867

In TS4 screenshots, the Sims look terrible and really just the whole thing looks like a major downgrade - just as bad or worse than Freeplay.

I'll patiently wait until E3 when they show it off (hopefully), but unless I see big changes for the better, I'm not bothering.

All I see ATM is a huge microtransaction fest for EA - especially with that shopping cart icon there.
  • Options
    Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    edited April 2013
    I just wanna tell EA this right now: I have been a Sims fan since day one. I don't even want to think how much money I've spent on The Sims, The Sims 2, The Sims 3, and expansion packs. I'm really looking forward to The Sims 4.

BUT if you make it online only and online all the time, like your disaster called the latest Sim City, I WILL NOT buy it. If it has an online component that the user can choose to implement or not, that's fine. But don't make it required to play. I like to play alone in my little or big Sims world, without other users changing what I've worked so hard to build, and I like to be able to have multiple local saves.
  • Options
    becomingjennbecomingjenn Posts: 3,942 Member
    edited April 2013
    I know the retro thing is kind of in. I'm looking at games I like to play such as Torchlight II and other indie games. However, in my sims games, NOPE. I really want realism there, it is why there is so much CC out there and why the store does so well.

My first thought was similar to others in that is looked more like Sims Freeplay, which is a step up from Sims Social but not as advanced as Sims 3.

I'm pretty sure there will be a Sims4, but I hope it's a long time away. The tech is just not that advanced and even now, people are having a hard time making the minimum requirements. There were great advancements from 2 to 3, but not as much now.

I will say I probably won't be an early adopter. I did not buy Sim City even though I love the game, because I saw there were a lot of potential problems early on. I won't buy unless they patch it for offline use or it's less than 10 bucks. I can see this happening with Sims4 and I forsee a LOT of bugs. And even though I'm a newcomer to this game, I don't want to have to wait years for generations, university, supernaturals and all these other nice things I have already.