Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAW acting very strange!

So I finally got Salem done and decided to go full speed on a Mars map I'd had in my folder and have been working on sporadically alongside Salem.

Now, I can't open it in CAW. I've done all the fixes, am now working with a clean CAW Sims 3 folder.

CAW will still not open the world in EIG. The strange thing is it seems to be random. It will open some maps but not all. I thought it may be because my downloads from the store were missing, but why will some open that were started when I had the store content installed and not others?

So I thought, hey, I'll just export the heightmap to CAW, repaint all the map (yikes, I was virtually done this step!) and start afresh, but even with an absolutely bare heightmap it crashes. Is it possible to just have a bad heightmap? I did download it off of Google images, then converted it to the right size, etc etc which I have done before with no problems.....

Comments

• Options
    Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited April 2013

Well, scratch that, I just went into a map I'd worked a bit on yesterday, and it just crashed back to CAW from EIG. I have not patched since the last Season's patch, the only difference is my new video card, could that be it? Is it that when I started the worlds, I had every store world except Aurora Skies?

One interesting thing is when I go into my Documents/TheSims3/ElectronicArts/DCBackup folder, there is a file that says missing DEPs???

• Options
    auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited April 2013
    Somewhere in the back of my mind, I remember reading something about missing deps

Have you tried a google search?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ooh, I'll try that, yesterday I tried dragging my Sims 3 Play folder back in and started CAW, but as soon as I start up the game, it generates a new Sims3 folder so none of my downloads show :x
  • Options
    edited April 2013

I tried enabling the DEP, but for some reason Ambitions does not have a file to enable....and it seems I can start all the new worlds I want and EIG, but none of my old ones. I wonder if it is because I built all those with store content, then once I removed my store content, it is still trying to find that content?
  • Options
    auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited April 2013
    The store content should just drop out. I think it leaves behind a marker, but I've never had a problem with reopening the files.

So, they'll open up in Caw, but crash going into EIG?

Maybe you could upload one of the faulty worlds caw files to me, and I'll check and see If it will run for me. You can PM me at ts3cc.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I'd tried every fix here, then thought I'd try a fresh install. It seems to be working for now, but I'm afraid to put my old UserDataFolder back in :cry:. I do still have a copy, I'll send you a file though @ TS3CCII though auntie, but towards the end it was pretty much all the worlds not opening in EIG..

One strange thing that happened was that I deleted all CAW files and the program, but when I first opened CAW, I had a UserDataFolder from 2011...as it appears to be working for the moment, I'm not going to fret about it.