Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

HUGE FEARS......

The more I hear about the resort "business", the more the knot in my gut grows. A rating system based on customer experience, hiring entertainment based on that rating, etc. My thoughts are jumping around from EA's latest experiment with the online requirement for SimCity, the online/Facebook OBSESSED Maxis return, and the horror of Showtime's SimPort features. Please, please, PLEASE NO!!!

EA please check how many people play logged OUT of these ridiculous features! We use the forums and exchange when we want to connect with other Simmers. We play The Sims alone, loving the escape from crap in our real lives. Please don't fill our fantasy worlds with more of this crap as well!! No, no, no, PLEASE NO to ANY online connectivity!!!

Comments

• lolzbrlolzbr Posts: 989 Member
    edited March 2013
    Ouch! First you should know that Island Paradise isn't an online video game, as far as we know. LOTS of people wanted something like this, where you can start your own business. It's almost like OFB is combined, and I really wouldn't mind something like this in my game. We're all entitled to our own opinions;)
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited March 2013
    The rating system is based off the business rating system in Open For Business for Sims 2. It's not going to be online.
  • deltagirl1326deltagirl1326 Posts: 468 Member
    edited March 2013
    lolzbr wrote:
    Ouch! First you should know that Island Paradise isn't an online video game, as far as we know. LOTS of people wanted something like this, where you can start your own business. It's almost like OFB is combined, and I really wouldn't mind something like this in my game. We're all entitled to our own opinions;)

I'm sorry if you misunderstood, I LOVED OFB! I'm thrilled about the business aspect of this game and can't wait for it to come out! I just don't want any part of it to be dependent upon online interaction. Like you said, "as far as we know" it isn't. I was simply pointing out concerns over the horrible online/social road EA seems to be heading down in general. And just in case any member of the development team reads the forums, I just wanted to BEG, "please no!", and hopefully keep it away from The Sims.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited March 2013
    I think the gurus know many of us don't want online features. I'm worried about these guys:

fatcatdancing.gif

• TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited March 2013
    I think the gurus know many of us don't want online features. I'm worried about these guys:

fatcatdancing.gif

Oops. Experiment 23 escaped again...

Uh, I mean, those are strange creatures, completely unrelated to my non-existent bioweapons projects! Yes, completely strange and in no way created by me and my minions after too many Mai-Tais... I hope they are quickly caught and returned to whoever created them!
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited March 2013
    :lol: He looks quite evil, doesn't he?
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited March 2013
    When it comes to on line features I've learned to believe nothing I am told by EA if what I'm being told is assurances that it won't have an on line requirement. So I will wait and see what happens and will wait to read the forums for a few days before actually buying island paradise. Although I have no reason to expect it will be an on line only feature introduced into Sims 3. Previous experience with marketing techniques used to sell various other Sims 3 sets and worlds etc does make me feel insecure and unable to just buy something based on what they say about the product.

Edit. Clarification. I have Sim City. Been bitten once. It won't happen again.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited March 2013
    We play The Sims alone, loving the escape from crap in our real lives.

Please don't speak for everyone. I love my life, and don't want to escape it. I just play TS3 for fun :wink:

As for the online features, I agree. I don't want any in my game. But if there included, I'll just turn them off :)
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited March 2013
    I don't want another on line game where someone else tells me what I can do and how I have to do it. With DRM I can play when servers are up. I can play on my own if I don't want to play a game. Meaning in my only other experience of DRM I am totally limited to someone else's decisions on how and when I play. I found my game scores highest when I walk away and leave it alone for an hour or more. If I'm at the keyboard it is overrun with disasters I can't turn off.
  • lolzbrlolzbr Posts: 989 Member
    edited March 2013
    lolzbr wrote:

I'm sorry if you misunderstood, I LOVED OFB! I'm thrilled about the business aspect of this game and can't wait for it to come out! I just don't want any part of it to be dependent upon online interaction. Like you said, "as far as we know" it isn't. I was simply pointing out concerns over the horrible online/social road EA seems to be heading down in general. And just in case any member of the development team reads the forums, I just wanted to BEG, "please no!", and hopefully keep it away from The Sims.
    That I agree with - so far EA hasn't had a good run with the online aspects. As for the business part.. :oops:
  • jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    edited March 2013
    lolzbr wrote:

IP is going to be great for many other reasons, yes, but I wish people would stop comparing it to OFB. I don't mean to pick on you personally, so I apologize in advance for offense, but the more people that liken to to OFB, the more the Gurus are going to think we as a community are satisfied with it being OFB lite.

Until we know the actual features of running a hotel, we don't know exactly how it's going to work. I could be wrong but I'm suspect that all those who think it's going to take the place of OFB are going to disappointed.

That said I don't expect people will actually stop comparing it to OFB, and it's not even my business to try and convince them not to. It's more just the idea of every argument has a counter-argument.

It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited March 2013
    I know hope springs eternal in the hearts and minds of many Simmers, but I honestly doubt we'll see an Open for Business expansion pack. I'm pretty sure that the time travel one is going to be the last one. And if I'm wrong, I will gladly eat crow (tastes like chicken).

As for this star rating system, it *may* be offline, but it also might require you to upload a photo of your resort to your My Page and have others rate it...but it's hard to tell how they'd do it. All I know is that it could easily lend itself to an online feature, but I'm not necessarily making any predictions.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    edited March 2013
    deltagirl1326 , completely agree with the online stuff. but I don't think that it's in our future with this game. But be prepared to freak out for ts4.

sent you a friend request based upon this thread, lol.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • smoogiesmoogie Posts: 2,374 Member
    edited March 2013
    I avoid all aspects of online gaming. I play how I want not how EA or others want

Peace
  • VampireRoukaVampireRouka Posts: 34
    edited March 2013
    smoogie wrote:
    I avoid all aspects of online gaming. I play how I want not how EA or others want

Peace

totally agree. i avoid the online gaming myself. too much lag and too much drama. only online stuff i do these days is text based rp. which lately has been pretty much null. gotten really absorbed in my sims again.
    edited March 2013
    jcp011c2 wrote:

IP is going to be great for many other reasons, yes, but I wish people would stop comparing it to OFB. I don't mean to pick on you personally, so I apologize in advance for offense, but the more people that liken to to OFB, the more the Gurus are going to think we as a community are satisfied with it being OFB lite.

Until we know the actual features of running a hotel, we don't know exactly how it's going to work. I could be wrong but I'm suspect that all those who think it's going to take the place of OFB are going to disappointed.

That said I don't expect people will actually stop comparing it to OFB, and it's not even my business to try and convince them not to. It's more just the idea of every argument has a counter-argument.

I agree. I think the inclusion of OFB-like gameplay in IP and the Barista in Uni are as close as we are going to get. I hope it does appease the beggers, but probably not. :? IP is going to be FANTASTIC (As long as it's my OWN little paradise!) :twisted:
    edited March 2013
    windweaver wrote:
    be prepared to freak out for ts4.

One nightmare at a time! :D Friend request accepted, my sister-in-snarkiness, LOL! :lol:
  • SimbolicSimbolic Posts: 925 Member
    edited March 2013
    I understand your fears

I have to admit I'm dreading finding out there'll be 20 or so items that can only be unlocked in the game if you play online sending sims to other peoples resorts or something.

I am still missing over a dozen items from Showtime because nobody was ever available to send or host sims when I was playing, or if they were the system broke down & it really annoys me that the only way I can have those items is with someone elses help. :cry:

I'd frankly be happy to pay EA a dollar to just send me a permanant unlock key so I could have those Showtime bits at this stage because I still don't have all the chess set & I want it.

As far as what I've seen of this ep, it looks like it could be one of my favourites & at least gives a taste of what I miss from OFB, although it's nowhere near enough to make me think it's a sims3 version of OFB.
  • Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited March 2013
    I'm so naive, it never even crossed my mind that the rating system would be based on online interaction. I just assumed it would only make sense for the rating to be generated within your own game like how the game doesn't rate the success or failure of a party or a date based on other people's input online. But, now that you mention it I can see it all going terribly terribly wrong. I really hope they don't make it an online thing.
  • lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited March 2013
    I already bought the game so I'm hoping it's not online. But i'm doubting they'll make IP online because University didn't have any online forced features when they more could of easily put them in with the Sims social networking. Also Everyone knows that EA are money hungry but not as stupid as a rock (how do you think they tricked people out of their pockets) hopefully they'll get the jist that online features don't sell and that we are all very careful after the simcity fiasco but only time will tell till then all we can do is PRAY SO WE DON"T GET SCAMMED!!
  • yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2013
    lolzbr wrote:
    The OP has a point though. Unfortunately, the Sim dev teams aren't known for integrating prior EP packs with new ones. In fact, they don't do them at all. :P

But it is quite plausible that Simport WILL be an exclusion to this rule by default of design. What other practical way could they rekindle interest in using Simport, if not to import other ppl sims as entertainers into your new resort? Why waste all the time and resources that went into Simport development? Why miss a unique opportunity to reprogram, educate, and convince the sims fan base of the benefits of using social media & online features? What better way is there to prepare the fan base for the fully monty of TS4? :lol:

If this is the case, then the OP's fears are fully justified. And you don't even have to worry about the fiasco of SimCity. IMO on a smaller scale, Simport has the potential to exceed that particular debacle--and much, much more--all by itself! :XD:
  • yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2013
    Simbolic wrote:
    I understand your fears

I have to admit I'm dreading finding out there'll be 20 or so items that can only be unlocked in the game if you play online sending sims to other peoples resorts or something.

I am still missing over a dozen items from Showtime because nobody was ever available to send or host sims when I was playing, or if they were the system broke down & it really annoys me that the only way I can have those items is with someone elses help. :cry:

I'd frankly be happy to pay EA a dollar to just send me a permanant unlock key so I could have those Showtime bits at this stage because I still don't have all the chess set & I want it.

As far as what I've seen of this ep, it looks like it could be one of my favourites & at least gives a taste of what I miss from OFB, although it's nowhere near enough to make me think it's a sims3 version of OFB.
    Seriously at this point in the game, you really need to consider using mods. Simport's had so impressed the fan base with its groundbreaking, versatile features, that it had simmers swooning all over the place. It even inspired an MTS simmer to pay the ultimate homage--a Simport workaround. This mod debuted sometime around the week Showtime came out. Now why should you have to put yourself through the aggravation of Purgatory and Dante's Inferno, just so you can try and enjoy your game? :lol:

Google Simport Rewards Unlocked and click the first link that comes up. You'll be then able to access all the Showtime content you already paid top dollar for, but have been missing in your game to date. :lol:
  • michellehilbrandmichellehilbrand Posts: 2,331 Member
    edited March 2013
    I bought SimCity because my son used to like to play it and he likes playing online. I got burned though. He said, " Oh, it's a computer game. I don't play on the computer." Well, that is $79.99 wasted. There is no way that I will buy Sims 4 if it is online. They can 'not' take that to the bank.
  • Line870Line870 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2013
    EA please check how many people play logged OUT of these ridiculous features! We use the forums and exchange when we want to connect with other Simmers. We play The Sims alone, loving the escape from crap in our real lives. Please don't fill our fantasy worlds with more of this crap as well!! No, no, no, PLEASE NO to ANY online connectivity!!!

Please! :-o I accept that you have your own opinion on this. Believe me, I do :-) But do not speak for all people. I am one of those people that actually enjoy the online features that EA have made in the game. I see that I get a stronger, and more frendlier bond with some of the other members.
    Also, the challanges to earn badges? I just love them! :D :thumbup:
    And if people don't like the online feauters, then wouldn't it be easier to just stay logged out, like they've been doing from the start. That way, people like me can also stay happy :wink: