Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mac help threads & guides - PLEASE START HERE BEFORE POSTING A PROBLEM - *updated 05.06.15*

Comments

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited March 2013
    Huh? I've just replied to her here too:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/659374.page

Really wish people would help themselves, even if they are 'young adults'.....
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    gaa17gaa17 Posts: 846 Member
    edited March 2013
    Huh? I've just replied to her here too:

Really wish people would help themselves, even if they are 'young adults'.....

Yeah, I noticed that too! I was confused when I saw her question and your helpful answer this morning because of that specific link where she didn't even acknowledge the article I had said to check out. It definitely stuck out for me because of the Nichaedemus appearance. Oh, well.
  • Options
    ellabrodey9ellabrodey9 Posts: 261 Member
    edited March 2013
    Thank you so much for this!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Bump
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    bump...since there's no moderator to sticky this and keep it on the front page :(
  • Options
    NanatoriumNanatorium Posts: 3,445 Member
    edited March 2013
    Bump for just another manic monday.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    ....bump...again
  • Options
    SnoopyloverSnoopylover Posts: 9 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Just wanted to say a big thank you for all your advice and information.
    I'm having a terrible time trying to get my game to run on my newer iMac, so giving everything a go that I've read from here!
    Fingers crossed, or I shall have to go down the Bootcamp route (though have to buy Windows 7 first it seems, ugh)

Anyway, thank you very much for all the time you spend for us Maccers!
  • Options
    ashjack20ashjack20 Posts: 163 Member
    edited March 2013
    Bumping, because this NEEDS to be on the front page. Can an Admin/Mod please do this? It would save people a ton of time.

Haven't been around in a few weeks (very busy dealing with a move and some other personal issues), but I'm so glad that you've posted this BlueBell! I stopped coming here after a while, because it became so overwhelming with the repetitive posts that everyone kept making. I mean, the topics that they are looking for are all right here. They just need to search for them. And if its a new problem, due to an update or a new EP, then they can go ahead and post it. But, just make sure that someone else hasn't posted the same thing already.

I might actually post about this on my blog, if that's cool :)

Again, awesome job! :thumbup:
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I was soooo happy when this guide was stickied at Answer HQ, but sadly it's been un-stickied recently.

It's still available in the FAQ there, but it doesn't get the same exposure. So much for me being proud of the Answer HQ mods :(

I've been linking to it like crazy every time a Mac person posts though so it's still out there helping at Answer HQ.
  • Options
    QuinceOfClubsQuinceOfClubs Posts: 36 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Hey Bluebell!

I'm really new to Sims, and as a Mac user, finding this has been an enormous help. After sifting through multiple posts, though, I can't seem to find a solution to my problem. Could you possibly help?

I will open up Sims 3 and it will tell me an update is available. Regardless to if I click 'yes' or 'no', it will bring me to the Late Night launcher, which will say it is open then crash. I don't know what can be done as the update crashes halfway through. Is there something I could do?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Sorry I've been absent, RL is very consuming at the moment but I'll try and get on here when I can.

@gaa17 - you're kidding? Really? I'm so close to giving up when EA pull crap like that. Why do we bother????

@QuinceofClubs - have you tried moving out your Sims 3 folder so the game generates a new one:
    - The first step to trying to figure out how to get your game working again is to try a new game, without any CC, mods, saves etc. This will help figure out if your install is dodgy or you have corrupted data. Doing this is simple, open your Documents folder then open the Electronic Arts folder. You will see one folder in there called The Sims 3. Drag this to the desktop DO NOT DELETE IT. This folder holds all your game data like downloaded content, saves and everything precious to your game.
    - Now, fire up your game (it regenerates the folder you just moved) and see if you can play with a new Sim in a new world. Make sure you open CAS and make sure you try out Build/Buy mode. Try playing for at least an hour or so. If that works then the installed game and EPs/SPs is fairly stable so the issue lies somewhere within the folder you moved out. The difficult part is figuring out where the problem is within the data.
    - To put your game back to how it was (not working presumably if you had to just do that step!), navigate through to the Electronic Arts folder again and trash the Sims 3 folder the game just recreated. Put your old folder, the one you moved to the desktop, back in it's place.

Navigate to the Electronic Arts folder again, this time opening The Sims 3 folder. Trash the following files:

CASPartCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.package

Now try loading your game again. These files are regenerated.

If that doesn't work then some Cider files may have corrupted. You'll need to uninstall and reinstall - unless you try the manual patching first?
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    QuinceOfClubsQuinceOfClubs Posts: 36 New Member
    edited March 2013
    @Bluebell - I tried that several times, and finally the update has actually updated, but Sims is now saying I don't have the disc in, which I do. It seems it has been a never-ending problem; either way, I still have a desktop iMac to fall back on, but I was hoping it would work on this laptop. Thanks for the help, though; I'm a lot better educated now than I was three hours ago!
  • Options
    caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    edited March 2013
    Back to page one, please.

Come on, Gurus, let's glue this to the top of the Mac forum shall we? Since Mac simmers are largely left to operate as a self-help group, you could at least make this thread easier to find.
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Does anything get deleted when you do the purge thing?
  • Options
    edited March 2013

No.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    gaa17 wrote:

No.

So how do u get the memory back then?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Ohhh, thanks so much!
  • Options
    TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    edited March 2013
    When I run my game, Cider is like this:

eD.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Bump if you like Sundays. Or The Sundays. Or Sundaes. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Bumpedy Bumpedy Bumpedy Boo
    I love Sundaes, but I hate Sundays (Back to school the next day :( )
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    b u m p
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Its already on the 2nd page... BUMP
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Hey BluebellFlora (or anyone else who might know) any idea what's causing the graphic issues some users are reporting here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/661420.page and here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/662998.page ?

Is it something to do with the thumbnails stored in the game and is there a possible fix?

I know I have this problem. It hasn't seemed to cause any major issues that I'm aware of, besides just being an annoyance. I know whenever my sims make mac and cheese, the icon shows up in their queue as a red triangle.

Any ideas?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top