Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mac help threads & guides - PLEASE START HERE BEFORE POSTING A PROBLEM - *updated 05.06.15*

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Aaah, I've seen traffic coming to my website from your blog, now I can put a Simmer to the name, so to speak :)

I never realised X11 didn't come with Mavericks, it's always been on my machines. Thanks for that.

My game works great too. All I do is purge RAM regularly. I have changed the Sims3.ini file to 4Gb RAM and try and kid myself that it's made a difference............ :|

I have a 3rd party CC free game and only run ErrorTrap and NoIntro. Your tutorials are really helpful to add because I have no idea about s3pe and s3mpi as I have no need for them, thanks! :smile:
    apple-signature.png
    Just updated all links to this new forum so threads can be posted on if needed.
    apple-signature.png
  • AndanteZenAndanteZen Posts: 55 Member
    This forum for Mac users is so great, thanks for keeping it updated!

I have tried to search in here, but I could not find it, so I am asking -- is there a way with Mac to merge CC packages like with CC Magic for PC?

Thank you!
    edited August 2014
    AndanteZen wrote: »
    This forum for Mac users is so great, thanks for keeping it updated!

I have tried to search in here, but I could not find it, so I am asking -- is there a way with Mac to merge CC packages like with CC Magic for PC?

Thank you!

Yes - follow queueing's link on the opening post :)

apple-signature.png
  • queueingqueueing Posts: 46 Member
    @BluebellFlora hehe I'm glad to be of help! And yes after I posted last time I was like, "wait a minute they look familiar!"

I've stopped keeping track of how much CC I have in my game, but as I have nearly all TS3 Store Content AND loads of third-party CC... I'm sure it's upward of 5GB at the very least. Knock on wood, but my 2010 MacBook Pro is such a champ with it all. I wish my graphics card could support an HQ mod but seeing as my game works, I'm happy as can be.
    5ufzfo_zps43da0054.png
    visit my blog @ tencentsims.tumblr.com !
    Guess it wouldn't hurt to bump this thread. :)
    5ufzfo_zps43da0054.png
    09.11.14 - Updated with a possible solution for those who have the Intel Iris graphics cards, see opening post link.
    apple-signature.png
    Updated 10.01.15 -

Added a link on the OP to a help page for the Disc Authorization Failure error message on my website.

http://bluebellflora.com/disc-authorization-failure/
    apple-signature.png
    Oh thank God I came back here. I've got a new lovely laptop. Specs below:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)
    Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB

And the Sims runs amazingly on it, but I'm getting that blasted exception raised error in CAS. Apologies for the text:

[Build info]
    Application: Sims3
    BuildTime: 2014-01-16-1625
    BuildUser: slcbuilder
    BuildHost: SLC1-BUILD111
    BuildConfig: Release
    BuldVersion: 0.2.0.209
    Commandline: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe -f

[System info]
    Computer name: Elizabeths-MacBook-Pro.local
    Computer DNS name: Elizabeths-MacBook-Pro.local
    User name: NAMEREMOVED
    EA_PLATFORM: Windows on X86
    OS name: Windows XP
    OS version number: 5.1.2600
    OS service pack: Service Pack 2
    Debugger present: no
    CPU count: 4
    Processor type: x86
    Processor level: 5
    Processor revision: 17665
    Memory load: 45%
    Total physical memory: 16280 Mb
    Available physical memory: 8868 Mb
    Total page file memory: 17304 Mb
    Available page file memory: 9889 Mb
    Total virtual memory: 2047 Mb
    Free virtual memory: 0 Mb

[Application info]
    Language: C++
    Compiler: Microsoft Visual C++ compiler, version 1400
    App path: C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.exe
    App version: 0.2.0.209

[Exception info]
    date: 2015-01-11
    time: 22.43.20
    type: ACCESS_VIOLATION writing address 0x00000000
    address: 0x7c470f73 "C:\windows\system32\MSVCR80.dll":0x0001:0x00000f73

[Call stack]
    C:\windows\system32\MSVCR80.dll
    0x7c470f73
    5ufzfo_zps43da0054.png
    edited January 2015
    I wish I were more versed in code so I could figure this out. Searched around, likely has to do with memory still. The Free Virtual Memory being at 0 didn't escape my notice. Trying to fix it, so I'll get back to y'all on this. I'd also like to note that my tutorial has been updated and I am currently on Yosemite-- again, because of my machine, it's running very well, and the tutorial for s3pe, s3mpi, and Delphy's Dashboard still works like a charm.

EDIT: Good GOD I finally got FreeMemory Pro installed and I had 1GB free. 1 out of 16. That must've been it. I assumed (incorrectly) that perhaps memory management wouldn't be an issue. (NAIVE MISTAKE.) Anyway, again I'll get back to you all on this after more troubleshooting.
    5ufzfo_zps43da0054.png
    The only way to fix it is to purge your RAM frequently. The game can only access 2Gb RAM but your Mac will make loads available because the game actually needs so much. :)
    apple-signature.png
    edited January 2015
    The only way to fix it is to purge your RAM frequently. The game can only access 2Gb RAM but your Mac will make loads available because the game actually needs so much. :)

Yeah, been purging it, removed all CC. Still keeps crashing in CAS. I read the thread re: Iris Graphics so I'll reset my settings tomorrow (I really need some sleep rn) and I'll see how that goes. I'd rather not go through the trouble of a clean reinstall, since it takes so long through Origin.

Sorry for blathering on. This is getting to be particularly frustrating for me.

EDIT: Went ahead out of morbid curiosity. If the graphics settings are too low, the game is white/blank. I then set them how I had them on my old laptop, restarted the game, reset my caches. Oh, during all of this I've got plenty of RAM (8-10GB) but I purged it anyway just to be safe. Ran the game again. About ten minutes in give or take, I had the same exception raised error (this is all in CAS, by the way). Maybe it's too early to say, but I'd like not to have to quit playing TS3 because of this.

It made my old laptop whir and I could hardly run large worlds on it, but it worked.
    Post edited by queueing on
    5ufzfo_zps43da0054.png
    Unfortunately your graphics card is always going to be a factor because it's integrated, and it's Intel Iris but you're already aware of the problems with them. Your graphics card is pulling RAM from your Mac, as opposed to discrete/dedicated which have their own dedicated VRAM. What EPs do you have? Pets and Seasons, and to a certain extent Supernatural, will probably be the killers :(
    apple-signature.png
    Unfortunately your graphics card is always going to be a factor because it's integrated, and it's Intel Iris but you're already aware of the problems with them. Your graphics card is pulling RAM from your Mac, as opposed to discrete/dedicated which have their own dedicated VRAM. What EPs do you have? Pets and Seasons, and to a certain extent Supernatural, will probably be the killers :(

(can't sleep, ngh) All of them. :(
    5ufzfo_zps43da0054.png
    Updating to say that this finally pushed me to make the jump to using Parallels' VM to run Windows. After a long series of shenanigans, I've found out you can use Microsoft's Windows 8.1 Preview and install it on Parallels with the "Serial Number Is Required" box UNCHECKED. Once it's up and running, you'll realize it's not the full version of anything, but you can run .exe files on it which leads me to...

I caved and scraped up the money to buy the Windows 8.1 update. At first I panicked because I realized it was just the retail update I bought. But that's okay! If you have Parallels 10, and are running a Preview version of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, once you buy the retail update, grab the serial number and download the .exe file they provide, you can transfer the .exe file to Windows through the Virtual Machine and activate it and let it install.

This took a LOT of trial and error to figure out because there's a lot of conflicting information out there, but Microsoft themselves have said if you have an official preview or OEM System Builder version of Windows 7 or higher (I think even XP and Vista might work too, but I'm NOT 100% sure, I'm running off very little sleep) and you purchase the Windows 8.1 update, you can update it and install it no problem.

It takes a little looking around but there are old (old but official Microsoft) links. Once you have Windows installed on a Virtual Machine or Bootcamp, if you do happen to purchase the Windows 8.1 update that only provides the serial number and .exe file, you're still in the clear.

I could write out a full tutorial next week if anyone's interested but there are specific parameters and I think a lot of problems people have (or not have) will be on a case-by-case basis. The Parallels Tools are specifically designed for your machine, for example, and obviously everything depends on what your machine can or can't process.

At the moment the only hitch (knock on wood) seems to be that I can't patch the base game--I'm installing through Origin, God help me. I couldn't download the Superpatch on the Windows side for whatever reason, so I've got it downloading on the Mac side and I'll just nudge it over when it's done. God willing it'll work and I can patch and then continue installing my other games.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I really highly recommend Parallels rather than Bootcamp, even though BC is free and Parallels runs around $80. Rather than forcing you to partition your HD, you can just run Windows (or any other non-Mac operating system) on Parallels' Virtual Machine. It's really quite smooth. The hitch is downloading anti-virus and anti-adware software and having to wade through a clunky operating system. Seriously. Windows is so needlessly complicated I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't a. love the Sims and b. want to learn to make CC--because learning 3D meshing is actually a pretty valuable skill. And you also really really want to be careful while surfing the net on Windows. I grew up on Windows, but I'd forgotten how ridiculous the internet is, having been on a Mac for years and years now.

I apologize for rambling, but I do hope this was of help to someone. :) This has definitely been a trying adventure for me but I've learned a lot.
    5ufzfo_zps43da0054.png
    Thanks for all that info @queueing, very helpful :) I'm going to link to it in the Boot Camp vs VM thread if you don't mind?

Whilst Parallels is a lot more convenient to run Windows, Boot Camping your Mac really utilises the graphics and power of your Mac to its full potential because you're not having to use OS X as well as Windows.
    apple-signature.png
  • rhi2004rhi2004 Posts: 3 New Member
    Can anyone here help me? If you can, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

So one of my favorite things to do is decorate in The Sims 3, but thats the reason I haven't been playing. In my game, it won't let me you my mouse to place things in Build/Buy mode, it will ONLY let me use my arrow keys... and it sucks :\ So I can't decorate, I can't build, it even happens in CAS on sliders!!! I can only click on the sliders, not drag them from one side to the other. I have no Custom Content, All I have is Base Game (Origin), Ambitions (Disc), And Pets (Disc). I also tried turning on and turning off every option that could have something to do with it. So, if you can help, THANK YOU <3
  • suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    rhi2004 wrote: »
    Can anyone here help me? If you can, THANK YOU SO MUCH!

So one of my favorite things to do is decorate in The Sims 3, but thats the reason I haven't been playing. In my game, it won't let me you my mouse to place things in Build/Buy mode, it will ONLY let me use my arrow keys... and it sucks :\ So I can't decorate, I can't build, it even happens in CAS on sliders!!! I can only click on the sliders, not drag them from one side to the other. I have no Custom Content, All I have is Base Game (Origin), Ambitions (Disc), And Pets (Disc). I also tried turning on and turning off every option that could have something to do with it. So, if you can help, THANK YOU

I am not a computer genius here but there are a few things I would check if this was happening to me. First, does your mouse work just fine in all other programs? Cause if it only affects gameplay in TS3, I'm not sure I'll be of any help at all. But what I would check is your battery level in your mouse. Replace the batteries and see if that helps. Also, go into your System settings, then under Mouse and see if you can set up your mouse there. Then try the mouse again in game. Sadly, that is all I can offer. Good luck in fixing your issues!
    h2xmsbl]
  • rhi2004rhi2004 Posts: 3 New Member
    Thank you! I hope it works! I have the old Mac mouse, not the touch pad thing, the one before, and I might be changing it to a wireless Windows mouse, though.
  • suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    rhi2004 wrote: »
    Thank you! I hope it works! I have the old Mac mouse, not the touch pad thing, the one before, and I might be changing it to a wireless Windows mouse, though.

I have been using a wireless windows mouse for TS4 and it's working fine. Gives me that middle mouse button that I don't get from the Mac wireless mouse and helps with the pesky TS4 camera angles.
    h2xmsbl]
    Not sure if this is the place to post this, considering the cause is ambiguous at best-- But I've been using AwesomeMod for ages on my Mac. Now that I've got it on the Windows side it works fine too... except I can't seem to use setconfig enabledebuginteractions.

I go into the console, type in 'setconfig enabledebuginteractions true' then 'testingcheatsenabled true' (for whatever reason I had to do this while on the Mac side). Then I 'ctrl+shift+click' but all that happens is nothing. Literally, nothing. When I hold the cursor and move the mouse I get the camera angle change. I'm well aware that between Mac and Windows, keyboard commands change-- but this is absolutely pants-on-head because ctrl+shift+click is the windows way, and it worked perfectly on Mac. Considering that I've testing every other oft-used command for AM and they've worked, I'm kind of stumped.

Note: I have tried various keyboard combinations, have tested AM and it works just fine. If I borked up somewhere I'd love to know so I can use this command like I used to. Will continue to test different things to see if this just isn't pilot error.
    5ufzfo_zps43da0054.png
    Fix for those with Intel Iris, Intel Iris Pro, Intel HD 6000 and AMD Radeon R9 graphics - http://bluebellflora.com/fix-for-incompatible-graphics-for-the-sims-3-on-mac/
    apple-signature.png
    @THATAUTUMNSIMMER The first post has links to using mono on a Mac which means you can use Custard and the MTS Crash Log Analyzer. @Tremayne4260 has already linked you to here.

apple-signature.png
  • Aggieman999999Aggieman999999 Posts: 57 Member
    Tonight, I installed both the sims 3 Seasons and World Adventures from origin. Seasons gives the "Unknown Error Occurred" Message. How do I uninstall a nonfunctioning game?
  • Aggieman999999Aggieman999999 Posts: 57 Member
    Am now trying to download games in order and fill in the gaps ending with seasons.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top