Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mac help threads & guides - PLEASE START HERE BEFORE POSTING A PROBLEM - *updated 05.06.15*

BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
edited February 15 in Nominated Threads
These threads and guides are not definitive nor exhaustive but they have proved extremely popular on my website and do seem to have helped frustrated Simmers along the way. The locked 'help' thread on here by simguruhydra has not been updated in over 4 years. Unfortunately us Mac Simmers have to help each other as EA do not offer much support for OS X, if any. If you receive advice from Customer Support to quit Processes on your Mac PLEASE ignore it. For a detailed explanation please read this.

If you are not familiar with Macs or need a little help with how they work, please read Apple's support pages. This is a good place to start:

https://www.apple.com/uk/support/macbasics/

This is a forum for The Sims 3, not how to use a Mac :)

You may also find Crinrict's blog helpful. She has provided amazing technical support for The Sims 3 and her blog pretty much covers every known issue with the game. It is primarily a blog for Windows users but her work arounds and tips, where possible in OS X, can be invaluable. You can find her blog here:

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/

seperator.jpg

Whenever you play the game you should play in windowed mode:

To do this hold down CMD and press Return when the main game window launches. In the highly likely event of your game freezing/hanging you can then click anywhere on the desktop and go to the Apple logo, top left, and select Force Quit. This will save you having to power off your Mac using the power switch (which can damage the HD). Tabbing between apps you have open doesn't always work when you have the game running, hence the need to play in windowed mode.

seperator.jpg

Saving and Quitting:

ALWAYS pause your game and then Save. DO NOT Save & Quit. It is also a good idea to purge your RAM before you attempt to save. If your game is hanging or crashing whilst saving, and you have saved as recommended, then try your game without any CC/Mods. There is no magical perfect solution for the Save problems - please don't expect one!

seperator.jpg

Patching - VERY IMPORTANT:

If you play with Mods, these must be moved out prior to patching. You should then update your Mods accordingly. Tremayne4260 has written a fantastic guide on patching and the safest way to update your game here:

How to Update your game when a New Patch is Released

EA's links to manual superpatches (cumulative manual updates) is here. It's worth noting that the superpatches can become corrupted so if at first it doesn't work, redownload and try again (delete all remnants of the previous download and failed installation) - don't just give up after the first try!

seperator.jpg

CC & Mods:

I don't use any CC and only use Nraas ErrorTrap but here's a super duper guide on where to install CC and Mods to, courtesy of @itsaprilXD.

seperator.jpg

Primary things to try first (especially if your Launcher doesn't open or your game will not load):

- The first step to trying to figure out how to get your game working again is to try a new game, without any CC, mods, saves etc. This will help figure out if your install is dodgy or you have corrupted data. Doing this is simple, open your Documents folder then open the Electronic Arts folder. You will see one folder in there called The Sims 3. Drag this to the desktop DO NOT DELETE IT. This folder holds all your game data like downloaded content, saves and everything precious to your game.
- Now, fire up your game (it regenerates the folder you just moved) and see if you can play with a new Sim in a new world. Make sure you open CAS and make sure you try out Build/Buy mode. Try playing for at least an hour or so. If that works then the installed game and EPs/SPs is fairly stable so the issue lies somewhere within the folder you moved out. The difficult part is figuring out where the problem is within the data. You will need to move back your CC/Saves/Downloads/Mods etc. bit by bit from the folder you moved out to the newly generated folder to work out where the problem lies.
- To put your game back to how it was (not working presumably if you had to just do that step!), navigate through to the Electronic Arts folder again and trash the Sims 3 folder the game just recreated. Put your old folder, the one you moved to the desktop, back in it's place.

Navigate to the Electronic Arts folder again, this time opening The Sims 3 folder. Trash the following files:

CASPartCache.package
compositorCache.package
scriptCache.package
simCompositorCache.package
socialCache.package

Now try loading your game again. These files are regenerated.

If you want to know more about your game's user folder have a look here on the Sims Wiki page. All the individual files and folders are explained.

Tremayne4260 has posted some great tips on trying to get your game going in this post.

seperator.jpg

Constant crashing:

If your game is constantly crashing you're probably running out of RAM during gameplay. This is due to Cider not being able to access more than 2Gb RAM. You need to manually free up your Mac's RAM so the game always has access to more memory. You can download various Apps to do this or you can do it yourself VERY easily using Terminal which is already built into OS X. Links provided below under Resetting RAM.

seperator.jpg

Downloaded content not showing up:

If your Store downloads aren't showing up in game try deleting the missingdeps.idx file (thanks to Crinrict), the game will regenerate a new one:

Finder > Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sim 3 > DCCache > missingdeps.idx

This isn't a sure fire fix as Origin seems to be causing a lot of issues with the Launcher but it's worth a try. For more info read Crinrict's blog post here.

You must always make sure your Launcher is open before downloading Store content.

seperator.jpg

Bypassing the Launcher:

Bypassing the Launcher can sometimes resolve issues of, amongst other things, the game hanging on startup, crashing during the intro and the base game icon bouncing up and down in your Dock but nothing else happening. @Ashpeef has written great instructions on how to bypass here.

seperator.jpg

Not able to login to the Launcher:

This problem is REALLY irritating if you want to upload stuff to the Exchange and I am now experiencing it frequently since updating to patch 1.67. Logging in via the Main Menu screen or going through Options is an option that appears to work but it doesn't seem to carry through to the Launcher. Some suggestions from others have been to clear your internet cache and cookies. All I can recommend is to just keep trying and eventually, after several attempts, you will be logged in.

seperator.jpg

My guides:

How to do a clean uninstall and reinstall on a Mac

Checking which patch version you're running

Finding your serial key using Terminal

Resetting RAM & How to monitor your RAM usage during gameplay

Saving Origin digital downloads

Disc Authorization Failure/No Disc errors

Successfully installing Store content on a Mac

seperator.jpg

Unfortunately, because the game is not natively written for OS X, it is not the most stable of programs to run on your Mac. To understand it a bit better have a look here:

Understanding how The Sims 3 runs on a Mac

seperator.jpg

For general maintenance you could try these steps:

Get rid of MacKeeper if you have it, and some useful maintenance tips.

You could also try resetting the PRAM and SMC settings on your Mac if you're experiencing odd issues like continuous, heavy fan activity, power management issues, resolution issues etc. Please make sure you read the following links before attempting a reset (instructions on how to reset are also in the links):

PRAM reset - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

SMC reset - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

seperator.jpg

The only solution for a proper Simming experience on your Mac is to play it in Windows, the OS which the game was written for. For detailed instructions on how to install Windows on your Mac please read this thread:

How to install Windows using Boot Camp

seperator.jpg

Checking Exchange items and downloads for nasties (dodgy CC) - Julia526's Mono tutorial:

How to use Delphys Dashboard and CUSTARD on Mac tutorial

You can also analyse your crash logs using Mono and the MTS Crash Log Analyser

@queueing's guide to using s3mpi and s3pe (also has a tutorial for mono and Delphys Dashboard):

http://tencentsims.tumblr.com/post/94131114859/tutorial-for-mac-users-how-to-use-sims-3-dashboard

And @tamalinn's excellent guide to using s3pe in Mavericks 10.9:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/13332347/#Comment_13332347

seperator.jpg

There are numerous errors Simmers encounter whilst playing. And unfortunately there is no common denominator as to why some can play and some can't. Two of us could have the exact same spec. Mac yet one can play and one can't. The most important thing to bear in mind is that 99% of the time it is not because there is a problem with your Mac, it is Cider.

seperator.jpg

Common error threads on this forum:

Supernatural Issues

Seasons Issues

University Life Issues

Error 65538: 15000 (Unable to download from Origin) - thanks to @katoo4 for posting the link to a solution.

My game keeps freezing

Error Code 12

Possible fix for Error Code 12 - thanks to @kirby356

Custom Content not showing up in game

Disc Authorisation Failure & here

Exception Raised Error

Blacked out CAS

Can't start game process

Ghosting images then crash to desktop

Thumbnail images showing red lines in Build/Buy mode, CAS, Main Menu

seperator.jpg

Known graphics issues:

Intel Iris & Intel Iris Pro Graphics issues
- tmethei has come up with a possible solution/workaround for this issue, see page 2 of the thread -
A fix has now been found for the game not launching on Macs with Intel Iris, Intel Iris Pro, Intel HD 6000 and AMD Radeon R9 graphics cards. Please read my guide and select your Mac for further instructions.

Graphics Glitches - NVIDIA GeForce GT cards identified
- This issue has now been fixed with patch 1.63 -

seperator.jpg

Error Code 12 Fix
(takes you to external site - The Ever So Woderful Life of Zac M)

How To overcome Save Error code 12 on The Sims 3

seperator.jpg

Installation freezing at a certain file number

For those suffering from a frozen installer, please post on this thread so we can try, once and for all, to fix it. make sure all Preference files have been deleted from a previous install before attempting a new install.

seperator.jpg

Origin issues

Caspinwall and Tremayne have a great thread going about issues to do with Origin. Please post in it whether you're having problems or you know of any fixes to problems you've had:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/727857.page

seperator.jpg

OS X Yosemite (OS 10.10)

Please see this dedicated thread for TS3 and Yosemite.
apple-signature.png
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• 256Iris256256Iris256 Posts: 170 Member
    edited March 2013
    Thanks! This is really useful, now I don't have to browse through over 15 pages to find the thread I'm looking for.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited March 2013
    You're welcome. If there are other help threads that I should link to please don't hesitate to recommend them :)
    apple-signature.png
  • gaa17gaa17 Posts: 846 Member
    edited March 2013
    Thank you so much for doing this! I was worried no one had read/cared about my post yesterday (http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/658238.page). I'm assuming you read it and/or you have super powers and sensed someone was asking for help. :D

I'll definitely be sharing this link when responding to Mac simmers at Answer HQ. Hopefully, it continues to stay toward the top of our board, but if not, I bookmarked it so thank you thank you thank you!
    edited March 2013
    No I didn't see it but great post :)

I posted this because I get loads of traffic to my site with people looking for help so thought it may be helpful here too. Also there are so many threads started on here for the same issues that it becomes very frustrating.

Crinrict already points people to the Mac help threads over at EA's site that you're referring to. She's fab at helping people :)
    apple-signature.png
    edited March 2013
    No I didn't see it but great post :)

I posted this because I get loads of traffic to my site with people looking for help so thought it may be helpful here too. Also there are so many threads started on here for the same issues that it becomes very frustrating.

Crinrict already points people to the Mac help threads over at EA's site that you're referring to. She's fab at helping people :)

Yepppp. I've been helping there so it's not just Crinrict and a few others doing everything. I tend to reply to the Mac people. I've been using a mixture of her posts, your posts, and a couple of EA ones to help. I'm not super duper tech-y, but I've troubleshooted enough Sims problems on my Mac to know what's up with that, and I seem to be better at Googling stuff than some of the people who post there just wanting answers given to them. I spent months reading posts on this forum before I ever started posting here or there but I know not everyone spends that much time/effort doing that obsessively like me, so something like this is exactly what I need! :D
    edited March 2013
    Cool :)

I'm copying and pasting this thread over there now to save you the trouble. Hopefully it will help a bit.
    apple-signature.png
    edited March 2013
    Thanks! I'll be sure to make sure people see it.
  • TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    edited March 2013
    High five BluebellFlora! :D

Anyways, I have a question. Do you think my computer will handle bootcamp?

My Specs:

Mid-2011 21' iMac

Intel Core i5

12 GB RAM

AMD RADEON 6770 512 MB

Lion OS

If so, what version of windows 7 do you reccomended? (32-Bit, 64-bit, etc.)
  • NanatoriumNanatorium Posts: 3,445 Member
    edited March 2013
    Bless you, Bluebell.

I'll do my best to keep this bumped to the first page, but might I suggest renaming the post to "Latest Mac help threads" or something similar, just so that it stands out from the other thread that has not been updated since we crawled out of the primordial ooze. :)
    edited March 2013
    @Corey - I've answered you in my Boot Camp post here.
    apple-signature.png
    edited March 2013
    @Corey - I've answered you in my Boot Camp post here.

Ah, I see. Thank you for the quick response! :D

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again:
    It's very generous of you to help other Mac users even though you aren't having problems. :wink:
    I, and I'm sure many others, really appreciate it.
    edited March 2013
    @Nanatorium - fab idea, done!

@Corey - you're welcome :)
    apple-signature.png
    edited March 2013
    Another great idea Bluebell would be to share this link with the helpful Simmers in the tech discussion forum. Crinrict, ceejay, DawnLBrown, etc. could use this link. I know many of them tell Mac people to come here with their problems since they don't have Macs and can't troubleshoot them but doing that isn't always the best idea for someone needing help since our forum is a lot of venting (and rightly so!) and somewhat scattered. You could share this link with helpers in this great thread where they exchange ideas/advice: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/645218.page.
    edited March 2013
    Thanks gaa17. Crin messaged me with the link earlier. We're all so efficient today ;)
    apple-signature.png
    edited March 2013
    I know :D

I was so excited that an EA community manager actually stickied it at Answer HQ! I'm so proud we have a visible help guide there at least. If only we could contact the necessary person here to make that happen too.
    edited March 2013
    Is there a necessary person over here? Does such a thing exist? ;)
    apple-signature.png
    edited March 2013
    Is there a necessary person over here? Does such a thing exist? ;)

Not that I've seen since hanging out here the last couple of months, but apparently such a thing existed in 2009 and 2010. :lol: Could we contact those same SimGurus that posted their stuff back then? Is there someone else we could try asking/bothering/harassing?
    edited March 2013
    I've given up, after nearly 4 years. EA outsource the wrapping of the game in Cider to a 3rd party so they evidently don't appear to have anyone on site with any working knowledge of Macs, OS X or Cider.
    apple-signature.png
    edited March 2013
    I've given up, after nearly 4 years. EA outsource the wrapping of the game in Cider to a 3rd party so they evidently don't appear to have anyone on site with any working knowledge of Macs, OS X or Cider.

They probably think a Mac is something you order at McDonald's. :roll:

Seriously, I called EA Customer Support and they told me to upgrade my graphics card. Ugh, so ignorant...

Anyways, I got UL for only $5 since I got all those coupons. That's awesome. Even though I had to uninstall Pets and Seasons for it to work.
    edited March 2013
    @corey - :thumbup:

apple-signature.png
    edited March 2013
    Bump. This thread needs to stay on the front page.
  • NanatoriumNanatorium Posts: 3,445 Member
    edited March 2013
    Bump
    edited March 2013
    Bumping because people are still posting new threads and the answers are on here.

Would it be too much to ask a mod or guru to sticky this? It's been stickied over at EA's Answers HQ.
    apple-signature.png
    edited March 2013
    Bumping because people are still posting new threads and the answers are on here.

Would it be too much to ask a mod or guru to sticky this? It's been stickied over at EA's Answers HQ.

That's what I've been wondering. Since Nichaedemus appeared here the other day (unnecessarily for a super easy question! http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/658834.page) perhaps someone should ask him if he could sticky it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top