Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Sims can't dumpster dive.

There's just no option to do it. did EA take it out or something because theres a dumpster on my home lot in sunset valley that I put there. can they only do dumpster diving on community lots if so thats just sucks so much.

Comments

• CaptainJackCatCaptainJackCat Posts: 24 New Member
    edited March 2013
    This may be a dumb question, but does your sim have enough standing with the rebels to do it? No one else can.
  • secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited March 2013
    i am not sure but i don't think you can use them on your home lot, you can rumage from your dustbin but i think on your home lot the dumpter is just a decoration.
  • PurpleRosesPurpleRoses Posts: 3,796 Member
    edited March 2013
    This may be a dumb question, but does your sim have enough standing with the rebels to do it? No one else can.

Actually, Rebel influence has nothing to do with it. It came with 1.50 patch, not the EP itself. Any Sim can do it.
    edited March 2013
    i am not sure but i don't think you can use them on your home lot, you can rumage from your dustbin but i think on your home lot the dumpter is just a decoration.

This seems like the most logical explanation to me.
    edited March 2013

Actually, Rebel influence has nothing to do with it. It came with 1.50 patch, not the EP itself. Any Sim can do it.

Really? My sims could only do it when they reached a certain level. A bubble popped up each time saying they were now able to do it. I'd tried before to go dumpster diving, but it never worked until then.
    edited March 2013

Really? My sims could only do it when they reached a certain level. A bubble popped up each time saying they were now able to do it. I'd tried before to go dumpster diving, but it never worked until then.

That's really weird. Any Sim should be able to do it.
  • knt1229knt1229 Posts: 2,227 Member
    edited March 2013
    I don't have University Life and my sims can dumpster dive. My sims have only done it on community lots. I have never tried it on a home lot, though.

Actually, it wouldn't make sense to have sims dumpster dive on their home lot. The point of dumpster diving is finding the great stuff that other people threw away. The crap on your home lot is crap you threw away. LOL
    edited March 2013
    Whoops, guess I was wrong. :lol: I don't know what's up with my game then, although I have had some weird stuff go wrong.

Sorry for the advice!
  • GabbryroseGabbryrose Posts: 839 Member
    edited March 2013
    Just to confirm, you CAN dumpster dive on a home lot and without influence in the rebel group.

I decided for fun to start a new family and give them basically nothing but an empty lot and a dumpster and had them dumpster dive for all their furniture and money. They were able to dumpster dive the moment I put them in their lot. (Incidentally, this was actually really funny. You can get just about every kind of furniture and objects from the dumpster, and eventually they had a nice home full of mis-matched furniture.)

I will say that dumpster diving did quickly make them gain influence with the rebels and after the first time or two they had the rebel social group at level 1 already.
  • AmandaBiebzAmandaBiebz Posts: 4
    edited October 2013
    So does dumpster diving come with the University EP?
  • KnowNukesKnowNukes Posts: 57 New Member
    edited October 2013
    I wonder if you could have the "wrong" dumpster. I've noticed the "new" dumpster, which Sims can interact with, looks slightly different from the old one. On the old one, the right-hand lid looks slightly open with some rubbish showing. On the new one the, the lid is fully closed unless a Sim is diving in it. Some lots don't seem to get the update, for instance the default Ambitions salon in the community lot catalog has the old one. Try replacing the one on your lot. I'm pretty sure the new one is the only one available in regular buy mode (misc. decorative objects) on residential lots. The old one might still be in buydebug mode or in the community lot build/misc. objects, or maybe old ones carry over in an old save file.

Or possibly you Sim has a trait or career that prevents dumpster diving; I wouldn't be surprised if a Sim with Neat or Snob traits couldn't do this. And I've seen conflicts about rummaging through regular garbage cans based on careers, like sometimes cops or inventers can rummage through cans but not dumpsters.

I remember the Rebel thing about diving; maybe a patch "fixed" this?

The Robin Hooley (Robin Hood) home in Dragon Valley has a dumpster in the basement, and its decorated with odds and ends like one might find dumpster diving.
  • cringyuhcringyuh Posts: 3 New Member
    Some dumpsters come with the community buildings, so there's some you can't dumpster dive in.
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Thanks for sharing. Locking necro'd thread.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top