Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

University is too hard

I have no idea if the game is supposed to be like this, but the actual university thing seems to be much too difficult. My sim attended all her classes on time, she studied multiple times, used her major object and worked hard in all classes.

Only to completely fail both her exams.

Her performance bar thingy has never been much over halfway, and this seems to be because every last second she isn't studying or attending class it decreases really fast. I'm getting really fed up with this and it's making me regret buying the game at all, because it just seems impossible.

Can anyone tell me if the game is supposed to be this hard, or if I'm just not doing something i should be?

Comments

• Options
    AndijvieAndijvie Posts: 512 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Same here, my sim studied really hard, attended all classes and lectures, but still failed all her exams. Pretty frustrating... I think the performance bar isn't working properly; it decreases pretty rapidly, but only increases slowly even when studying very hard.
  • Options
    PurpsPurps Posts: 17 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Is there a lifetime reward for slowing down the bar loss? Most of my time last night was monkeying around and building a cinema in my Sims basement, so didn't do any class things.
  • Options
    SilentGirl490SilentGirl490 Posts: 506 Member
    edited March 2013
    This is the first I am hearing of this problem. My sim attended her classes and lectures, she studied once in a while and she finished off with an A. Has your sim been using their major object? How often do they study?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    This is the first I am hearing of this problem. My sim attended her classes and lectures, she studied once in a while and she finished off with an A. Has your sim been using their major object? How often do they study?
    my sim just used her major object... And her performance was actually decreasing while doing that... Weird! She's majoring in science by the way.
  • Options
    Tabbycat270Tabbycat270 Posts: 19 New Member
    edited March 2013
    She usually studied one or twice a day, used her major object three times in a week and practically killed herself attnding all her classes and working hard in every single one. The bar simply doesn't maintain itself for me, the instant she stops studying it sinks back down again.
  • Options
    RainbowMomRainbowMom Posts: 21
    edited March 2013
    I cheated on the game. I used cheat codes to keep her needs up so she didn't have to sleep. Then about a few hours before class each day had her work on studying. My sim passed both exams with an A.

• Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited March 2013
    My nerdy sim finished her Tech degree and it was challenging. She could not socalize or tend parties at all. It was study hard, do brain machine, and try hard at classes.

I actually wanted to rant at first about. I've been to college, raised a family, and keep a job. I didn't lose GPA or class knowledge when I went to sleep, worked, and socialized with my children this includes playing games with them.

This whole if you aren't knocking your brains out 24/7 your college GPA will drop..well (being nice)...is stupid. I don't know what colleges the makers of UL went too, but I know for sure this isn't the way MOST..or Majority of colleges are.

There is a small thing I can say, but it takes forever for your sim to get 48 credits...Use 2 week, and only take 6 or 12 credits. At least you'll have one weekend were they can do things.

And the funniest thing I've seen..Is the Professor that is supposing to give lectures was always playing games..XD ..I just pretended it was recorded lecture (actually had those irl).

The best way to curb really stupid Co-Eds from burning down your dorm..there are actually two ways..1) Make everyone natural cooks and 2) Give your sim the handy trait and level it to make stove fireproof.

<.< And I'm serious...Sims 3 college has the stupidiest co-eds and professors..They don't go to classes, they break things at two a day, and they don't take care of themselves (I'm always saying to some stupid co-ed..don't wave and stomp at me..I don't control. You're starving? Well shucks bucko there are tons of places to get food. You're in the red on your sleep? Well gosh doodles, there are like beds all around. )

• Options
    SARUHSAYSSARUHSAYS Posts: 83 Member
    edited March 2013
    I don't find it that difficult actually... My sim goes to about 4 or 5 parties a week, attend her classes and study like 2 times a week and I managed to have her performance bar full + passing the exams.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2013
    Are you kidding OP? Too hard? I think if your performance meter is going down drastically fast then you have a bug either from a Mod or some CC. I thought it was rather easy to raise the meter to the full point. And it doesn't decrease as fast as some people are reporting.

Maybe it is a glitch depending on which EPs you have installed,which patches, or even which CC, but I'm telling you this isn't normal.

I have had no trouble with the meter decreasing faster than expected, nor raising it to the full mark/top. It's supposed to decrease, that's the point, but if you can't raise it past the halfway mark by the time your Sim takes the finals then of course you will fail.

I'm wondering did you play TS2's Uni? I think those of us that played that game often probably think TS3's performance system is a breeze and not really all that challenging once you figure out what does and doesn't raise the bar to the top.

Because a lot of us aren't having these problems and maybe there are some glitches in some people's games we just aren't having because it doesn't happen in our games.

ETA: If the dormies are given you too much grief move to rentable house alone or with only one other roommate. Solved. If you like where you live but can't stand them, then click on each Sim and Dismiss Roomate to get a roommate you will like..solved. It's that simple. You can see their traits in the relationship panel so it's not like you don't know how they might behave so get rid of those and get new ones. ETA: How to move to a house alone...Drop Out, ReEnroll, pick a house or somewhere else to live.

If they are buring down the house, then add a buffet table..solved..no more fires. If you don't have enough money to fill the buffet table in case they are really starving apply for mor funding at the Administration Building..solved..lots more money! Enough to feed an army.

Seriously, I hope I don't sound rude but there all kinds of ways you can solve things in the game without cheating and or failing.

Not enought beds? You have to have eight all the time. Assign beds to each Sim..they will go to bed. Don't lock them out of their rooms! Maybe that is why they can't go to bed.

TIP: If you aren't gaining more skillls that are required by your Majors then you are't going to raise the meter that much..they count too and work better than studying all the time. Don't forget the skilling the old fashioned way if you have to.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    edited March 2013
    Go easy on the original poster, Cinebar. You and I are veteran players and we know all the tricks of the trade or can figure them out quickly enough. I honestly cannot watch Let's Play Sims video because I end up talking back to the person who made the video.

Just once, I wish someone would make a "Let's Play" that was rational, and that actually *taught* people the best strategies for playing the game. Anyway, to the OP: The learning curve is pretty steep, but practice makes perfect. Next time, do yourself a favor and save frequently...and save the game on Thursday night. That way, if your Sim fails the exam, just quit without saving and reload the game.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    ClemintineClemintine Posts: 106
    edited March 2013
    I think this must be a glitch because my bar barely sinks down at all between classes. I have no issue maintaining my sim's grades, socializing, gaining influence, etc.
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    edited March 2013
    -Ahems-

I at this time have no mods or CC but Store stuff. Everytime someone snaps at an OP or ..nevermind I can't without being harsh.

This isn't the first post to mention the stupidness of this College bar. I've been playing Sims since the very first, when Maxis was old school and not just a name EA slaps on a box to make a few more sales (As far as I know none of the original Maxis team is still aboard).

I found ways to get around it with my nerdy sim and she passed and got her degree with an A.

With that said..she also lived in a dorm with major stupid co-eds that didn't take care of themselves. The professor was always playing computer games instead of doing lectures. During her first term I did cheat cause I got tired of the dorm catching on fire and my sim would be at the building to her class and she would run home to freak out about the fire, and continued to do so until the fire was out. Which by then she missed half her class.

The rest of her terms I didn't cheat I just fireproofed the stove, and hired a maid. The dorm provides many sims to get to know and cost nothing. I revamped the dorm and once the major issues were fixed. I continued to use the dorm.

Great for you veterans if you don't see no issue, but quite a few do.

With this said, this is still a great expansion that I enjoy playing. So with that said...

Happy Simming.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited March 2013
    Well I am not sure yet, I have had one single sim to the first semester with flying colors, All A's and on the deans list.
    I use him as a test sim.
    Now I have a young couple in college, I am waiting to see how they are doing, one is working on the arts and the other is working on communications. She wants to be a writer. Not sure if this is the right class.
    They have different hours but seem to have lots of time together, they study and still have fun, So I will see what happens. I do love this expansion. it is one of the best so far. When they get done with this semester, I might send them back in the winter, want to see what it is like on campus in the winter.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2013
    Jarsie9 wrote:
    Go easy on the original poster, Cinebar. You and I are veteran players and we know all the tricks of the trade or can figure them out quickly enough. I honestly cannot watch Let's Play Sims video because I end up talking back to the person who made the video.

Just once, I wish someone would make a "Let's Play" that was rational, and that actually *taught* people the best strategies for playing the game. Anyway, to the OP: The learning curve is pretty steep, but practice makes perfect. Next time, do yourself a favor and save frequently...and save the game on Thursday night. That way, if your Sim fails the exam, just quit without saving and reload the game.

You are rigth Jarsie, I'm just afraid the Gurus will patch the game to be even easier. I guess those of us that know how to get around things that are driving crazy in a game do sound a little condesending and I didn't really mean to do that.

I'm sorry OP, but if they are burning down the house, then sell the stove and buy a buffet table. At least in this version of Uni you can alter the inside of dorms walls in build mode, and remodel etc. In TS2 you couldn't move a wall, knock down a wall or anything while Sims were living there. I guess that is one of the reasons I think TS3's Uni is so easy. Need more money and don't have good enough grades to apply for more money at the Administration Bldg to buy that buffet table..then decreas the size of a room..and get a money back on a wall.

That is just old tricks of how to get around a snarly cat. :lol:
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    My sim passed her exams and is now back at uni for another semester; the performance bar seems to be behaving better now! It doesn't drop to nothing when she sleeps. Seems it was a glitch!
    And I'm not using any mods or CC before someone snaps that I'm at fault ;) I've been playing The Sims ever since TS1 came out and I think I know how the game works just fine, I can spot a glitch when I see one.
  • Options
    Jaq68Jaq68 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Sorry to be off topic, don't post much but I have been reading these posts on UL and every time someone talks about the sims "burning down the house" I hear that Talking Heads song. :lol:

Again sorry had to share. Link for people that don't know the song :-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnAvTTaJjM
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited March 2013
    'University is too hard'

ars imitatur vita
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    edited March 2013
    University Life isn't too hard, it's just challenging, and I love challenges, so therefore it doesn't get boring too quickly. :)
  • Options
    manismithmanismith Posts: 159 Member
    edited March 2013
    I have no idea if the game is supposed to be like this, but the actual university thing seems to be much too difficult. My sim attended all her classes on time, she studied multiple times, used her major object and worked hard in all classes.

Only to completely fail both her exams.

Her performance bar thingy has never been much over halfway, and this seems to be because every last second she isn't studying or attending class it decreases really fast. I'm getting really fed up with this and it's making me regret buying the game at all, because it just seems impossible.

Can anyone tell me if the game is supposed to be this hard, or if I'm just not doing something i should be?

My sim's first term was pretty hard but I managed to squeak out a C. Going back for the second term I did things a little differently. I used my Tablet to work on skills needed for the Technology major which kept my bar moving up but my sims could still do other things while listening to the tabcast. I did more study groups which filled both the social needs and the academic bar. I also asked the professor for extra credit which showed up like any other opportunity would. Between these and going to class I managed to fill the academic bar before the test. Once it was full, it was pretty easy to maintain.

Also for the roomies, I would have my sim cook a group meal and call everyone to eat. I also put a microwave and slushie maker in the kitchen which made it easier for them to feed themselves. I assigned them all beds and they seemed a little more likely to go to sleep (even though some still passed out on the floor).

In the end my second term went much better than the first and I ended with an A and was still able to party and socialize. My advice is to make sure you're working on the specific skills in addition to using the major object and studying. Not to worry though, it will get easier as you catch on to what works best for you :-).
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    edited March 2013
    My Sim is attending to get a Fine Arts degree. She just completed her first term with a B. I just sent her to classes, had her study once a day or so and she spent time creating floor art all over campus. I only have her taking the minimum amount of credits so she has time to socialize and I have time to explore the town.

I noticed that Carl's site is starting to post their EP guide on UL. They should be adding more info daily.

http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    siminscsiminsc Posts: 854 Member
    edited March 2013
    I think you're probably having such a hard time because your Sim is taking the wrong Major. Traits matter a lot. I sent two Sims together to college. He was in Fine Arts and had no problems, ended with an A. She was in Communications and had a terrible time keeping up her grades. She ended with a C. I'm sending them both back for another term but she's going to majo0r in business this time.
  • Options
    elsievdmelsievdm Posts: 588 Member
    edited March 2013

I used the PostBox Cheat to "keep everyone happy" the cliked onthe post box again and chose "Make needs Static". You have to type in testingCheatsenabled true, first. Then I sent him to Uni and he had a blast with parties, Snoggin(kissing)women, playing ping-pong, and studied every now and then and his Uni moodlet-study thing was always full.. but 2 day before he had to write his final exams, my game crashed..now I don't know if anything save Meh(crying)..All his hard work?.. :cry:
  • Options
    suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    edited March 2013
    I think what siminsc said makes a lot of sense. I have only sent one sim for one term but she ended up on the deans list with an A. That said, I do wish this ep had a manual. I feel like I missed a lot of stuff because I really didn't have much fun and am not sending her back for a second term. I will try again with another sim sometime.
  • Options
    SkewedReality04SkewedReality04 Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited March 2013
    I believe there is a glitch where studying does not raise the progress bar with something else, for my sim it is guitar, cooking and painting. I like that this game is challenging. Finally there isn't a super dumbed down version of this game. I hate that they have made it so everything is so easily handed to us.
  • Options
    ashleybrooooksashleybrooooks Posts: 59 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Clemintine wrote:
    I think this must be a glitch because my bar barely sinks down at all between classes. I have no issue maintaining my sim's grades, socializing, gaining influence, etc.

I haven't had any troubles at all either. I've rather found myself with a heck of a lot of free time wishing I enrolled for more credits. *shrug*