Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop for gaming - Is this good enough?

Hi all,
I currently have a 4year old Lenovo thinkpad laptop and playing the sims 3 on it is a pain. It runs but it lags and to load my game takes 30 mins. I've posted on here before and I've had comments from people saying that they're amazed my laptop can play Sims at all!

So I'm looking at this new model - http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/ideapad/y-series/y480/

It has NVIDIA® GeForce® GT650M or GTX660M* graphics, Up to 8GB DDR3, Up to 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7.

Or could I still do better?

I would really like to be able to install of the eps. For the moment I can't install any more eps because I just don't think this current laptop can handle it. At the moment I have Pets, WA, Ambitions, LN and Generations.

Comments

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2013
    Hi all,
    I currently have a 4year old Lenovo thinkpad laptop and playing the sims 3 on it is a pain. It runs but it lags and to load my game takes 30 mins. I've posted on here before and I've had comments from people saying that they're amazed my laptop can play Sims at all!

So I'm looking at this new model - http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/ideapad/y-series/y480/

It has NVIDIA® GeForce® GT650M or GTX660M* graphics, Up to 8GB DDR3, Up to 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7.

Or could I still do better?

I would really like to be able to install of the eps. For the moment I can't install any more eps because I just don't think this current laptop can handle it. At the moment I have Pets, WA, Ambitions, LN and Generations.

Everything looks good about it and I would go for 660M. The laptop has a I7 and that is a big plus, push the memory to the max and you will be smoking. The only thing that might be in the way is the price. :D

Looking at the base price they are offering a I5 which is okay and the 650 and 8 Gigs is still a plus. I would check and see how much more it would cost with the I7.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    JassieteacakeJassieteacake Posts: 237 Member
    edited March 2013
    Thank you, Goldmoldar!! Happy to know I'm looking at the right sort of specs. :D

I'm hoping to get this from the US as prices are so much cheaper when compared with the UK! Thanks again for your suggestions, I'll keep them in mind.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Thank you, Goldmoldar!! Happy to know I'm looking at the right sort of specs. :D

I'm hoping to get this from the US as prices are so much cheaper when compared with the UK! Thanks again for your suggestions, I'll keep them in mind.

You welcome, you might have to pay more for shipping and whatever taxes your country may put on you. You might want to check into that. The prices for shipping only pertains to shipping in the US. Hopefully it will not be much. :D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    edited March 2013
    hey Jassieteacake, i agree re laptop looks good (though i like i5 :-) )...the only thing i can add is it looks like you get to decide hard drive (standard vs ssd)...i didnt look at the different configurations for ssd ..but they have listed 32gd ssd as opening option thats tooo small

ssd is a newer type of hard drive option that increases the speed of running programs but they re currently very expensive so companies offer extremely small options ..personally i would avoid if getting the larger options would ruin your budget..so something around 115 gb-250 gb is better...

that said standard hard drives are huge and very efficient/and rather fast so u could skip ssd options for this purchase..

hi Goldmoldar!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    ceejay402 wrote:
    hey Jassieteacake, i agree re laptop looks good (though i like i5 :-) )...the only thing i can add is it looks like you get to decide hard drive (standard vs ssd)...i didnt look at the different configurations for ssd ..but they have listed 32gd ssd as opening option thats tooo small

ssd is a newer type of hard drive option that increases the speed of running programs but they re currently very expensive so companies offer extremely small options ..personally i would avoid if getting the larger options would ruin your budget..so something around 115 gb-250 gb is better...

that said standard hard drives are huge and very efficient/and rather fast so u could skip ssd options for this purchase..

hi Goldmoldar!

Hello Ceejay402! For $50 more you can get the y500 with the I7 and if I was into laptops that would have been great for me. :D All these laptops are on sale and look like you can save a pretty penny. :D