Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I can't "Ask to be Roommate"

When I updated to 1.50 before UL came out, I've never had that option. I just figured that I'll get it once I get UL. Now that I have UL, I still can't get it to show up. I tried removing all my mods, but I still can't ask people to be my roommate. I tried asking my boyfriend first, but didn't get the option, so I thought maybe it's because we're romantically involved. I tried asking my best friend, and I still can't ask her to be roommates. The roommate service from the phone works though. Any fixes? Anybody else have this issue?

Comments

• leeemurleeemur Posts: 44
    edited March 2013
    bump
    edited March 2013
    bump

Really? Nobody else has this problem?
  • wolffriendinuswolffriendinus Posts: 94 Member
    edited March 2013
    You don't ask them to be your roommate, you pick the bed in the room that will be theirs, click the bed then click "set bed ownership" and click who will use that bed. that person will become your roommate as no one else will use the bed.
    edited March 2013
    You don't ask them to be your roommate, you pick the bed in the room that will be theirs, click the bed then click "set bed ownership" and click who will use that bed. that person will become your roommate as no one else will use the bed.

When I do that, the only choices I have are the people in the household. :(
  • Lauren31Lauren31 Posts: 8 New Member
    edited March 2013
    I haven't got UL yet but I have seen this option since the update. My sim was talking to someone who wasn't her friend yet and the option was there, once they became friends "ask to be roommate" went away and "ask to move in" appeared instead.
  • MyameeGirlMyameeGirl Posts: 234 Member
    edited March 2013
    leeemur wrote:
    When I updated to 1.50 before UL came out, I've never had that option. I just figured that I'll get it once I get UL. Now that I have UL, I still can't get it to show up. I tried removing all my mods, but I still can't ask people to be my roommate. I tried asking my boyfriend first, but didn't get the option, so I thought maybe it's because we're romantically involved. I tried asking my best friend, and I still can't ask her to be roommates. The roommate service from the phone works though. Any fixes? Anybody else have this issue?

I'm having the same problem and posted a question about it on the forum too. I used to have the option but now I don't.

There's an option on the new phone under travel and services for roommate options, but he game just sends you a houseful of sims and then you can choose which you want and dismiss the rest.

I liked being able to ask random sims becuase then I could make sure that they had jobs and stuff, but I don't seem to have that option anymore either. I notice the "ask to move in" option there but I don't want controllable sims. I want them to be npc.

I'll bookmark this thread and hopefully someone has an answer.

Once again, EA says something will be one way and when we get it... it isn't as specified.

• Ava_xDAva_xD Posts: 826 New Member
    edited March 2013
    I'm having this problem too.
  • ChristinaS9476ChristinaS9476 Posts: 79
    edited March 2013
    I know you can go to the Academic center and ask for Roommate Reassignment. I wasn't aware that you could ask people to be your roommate before, but my game is being glitchy, so I have no idea what is an actual feature and what isn't.

I'm a bit disappointed with the way EA chose to do this. The door lock function is extremely tedious and unless you set bed ownership for each bed in the dorm, I'm pretty sure the dumb little sims will just meander around until they pass out somewhere...absolutely no structure! Ahh, it messes with my OCD...I liked how they handled it on the Sims 2 - everyone picked a room and their pictures were on the door, then you couldn't go in there unless invited. This whole thing could have been done better imo.
  • MyameeGirlMyameeGirl Posts: 234 Member
    edited March 2013
    I know you can go to the Academic center and ask for Roommate Reassignment. I wasn't aware that you could ask people to be your roommate before, but my game is being glitchy, so I have no idea what is an actual feature and what isn't.

I'm a bit disappointed with the way EA chose to do this. The door lock function is extremely tedious and unless you set bed ownership for each bed in the dorm, I'm pretty sure the dumb little sims will just meander around until they pass out somewhere...absolutely no structure! Ahh, it messes with my OCD...I liked how they handled it on the Sims 2 - everyone picked a room and their pictures were on the door, then you couldn't go in there unless invited. This whole thing could have been done better imo.

I agree. They seemed to have gone backwards as well as forward with this expansion. Why not implement the same structure as in Sims 2? It's obvious that it can be done. When I had my sim go to university they were sleeping all over the place and some were passing out. Not the best way to have set this up. I sure hope they can fix this issue.
  • maya_acemaya_ace Posts: 65 Member
    edited March 2013
    I'm bumping this thread because i'm REALLY frustrated on how i cant ask my.. "future fiancee" to be my roommate, i even tried starting roommate service to see if he would pop up in my house but so far nothing, after many tries lol... So i'm gonna try to lower their friendship status again and see if i get that option;
    I've read an article somewhere, i'm not sure of it's accuracy but maybe it might help some of you:

Roommates can be any sim Young Adult or older who has no strong family ties. That basically means any unmarried sim. If a sim is married, the Roommate option doesn't appear to ever show up. If they aren't, it should show up much like "ask to move in" on any sim you're friends with. The higher your relationship, the more likely it'll show up. You might have to do friendly interactions first. The interaction is titled "Ask to be roommate". :?:
    Your roommate does not appear on the sim panel, but counts towards your house limit! So if you have 7 sims, you can only have one roommate. Potentially, a single sim household could have 7 roommates. Not sure if mods that let you have more than 8 sims let you have more roommates or not, but it's likely.
    When a sim is asked to be roommate, they leave their current household, and enter sort of a limbo. They are not a member of your household. They are not a member of their old household. They are not technically "homeless" (Townies). Because of this, if you change households, your roommate will disappear. Sometimes they are replaced, but more often than not they are just completely removed, and sent to the Homeless bin, meaning they'll appear around town, or might never appear again at all.

Update: I've changed their relationship to acquaintance, didn't have the option. Changed to Friends, had the option.
    When he was my boyfriend before, i didn't get it, nor when he was my fiancee.
    I have the roommate service enabled (males only, 3 sims) - i've dismissed them right when they arrived at 9am tho .

Update2: Also, he had a job when i was trying before all this, now in my new attempt with him just as friends, i also made him quit his job... So i'm wondering if this would affect it.

Now that i asked him to be my roommate he accepted, and his house shows as "No one lives here" - although he didnt come to my house .. yet.. So maybe only next day 9am, i'm afraid if i disable the option of roommate service in my phone he won't come... Or after he does, if he will be gone. Anyone has an answer for this?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • MGSFan612MGSFan612 Posts: 3,429 Member
    edited March 2013
    All you need to do is get your relationship to friend. Then use friendly actions until it says the other friend finds you "friendly" or "sociable"(either will work) and the option will show up under friendly interactions.
  • EyeofShaktiEyeofShakti Posts: 304 Member
    edited March 2013
    I seem be have this problem too now. I not able have "ask to be roomate" option at all. :(
    25up6pu.jpg
  • Ashleigh825Ashleigh825 Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited April 2013
    So my Sim has to get "unengaged" to her fiance before the game will let him move in as a roommate? And if she switches houses, he's gone forever? Does going to your home world in between terms count as switching households, I wonder?

As for the Sims meandering around until they pass out, that's only happened once or twice for me. The bed assignments I picked worked pretty well for the most part. I actually started laughing when I found a passed out Sim because I am in university and that is just all too accurate. :lol:

I did have a big problem with Sims starving, though. One guy actually just keeled over and died of starvation right in front of my Sim as she was leaving for her final exam! It put a real damper on her mood for the exam. He has a nice little burial plot at the Sims University lake now. Geeze, if Sims keep dying like that, I might have to build a graveyard on campus!
  • MelohkMelohk Posts: 51 Member
    edited May 2013
    You can ask any friend to be your roommate (but not an acquaintance),provided they are not in a relationship with someone (gf/bf, fiance, spouse). As far as i can tell, you can't ask a pregnant sim, or any sim who lives with a child or baby/toddler, even if there may be other adult sims in their household to look after them.
    You need to have sufficient roommate allowance: if your sim is living by themselves, enable roomate service and set it to the appropriate number of roommates so that you can ask an additional sim to be roommate.
    Remember that rm will start showing up at 9 am the day after, so if you set it up in the evening, and then go out and ask a friend to be rm the next day, make sure no NPC sim has already arrived at your house, in which case you will be able to ask your friend, but they won't, in effect, be able to BE your rm, even if they accept.
    If you can't ask a sim to be rm, it is probably that you haven't enabled the appropriate number of rm, or that they are in a relationship with another sim that you don't know of.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2013
    Or they are caught in that loop hole where the game has already lined up which Sims will show up at your house to be your new roommate..but you have want to ask someone your Sim knows...

It's a mess. You have to play it just right at the right moment to get a friend to actually be able to live in your home as a roommate.

Before I enabled roommates (option is not available sometimes on a home phone) for the house, I would invite my friend over..then enable over the smartphone. Close smartphone, and enter it again to set the amount of Sims you want as roommates. (That should have all been in one easy step but it isn't.)

The immediately turn and ask the Sim at your house that is your Sim's friend to be a roommate. Before, as fast you can, the game lines up which Sims in the world will arrive later that night or the next day.

Once the game determines who will be the roommates, nonplayables, it's too late and very hard to get it timed just right.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Berb180Berb180 Posts: 18
    edited May 2013
    Why can't I ask my boyfriend to be my roommate? That seem stupid. Do I have to break up with him, gain the relationship up to be his friend, ask him to be my roommate, and ask him back out? I already broke up with him once... He was SO mad and it took me a really long time to get them to go back out.
  • Crazymanatuca21Crazymanatuca21 Posts: 66 New Member
    edited June 2013
    I'm interested in this as well. My sim asked his future wife to be his roommate and they eventually got married. Now I'm trying to get another friend to be a roommate, but the option isn't there, just the option to move in. I already have one roommate and so I increased the number to accommodate the new friend, but still no joy.
  • neon_wildneon_wild Posts: 1,220 Member
    edited June 2013
    @Crazymanatuca21 - If you want someone to be a roommate they can't have any romantic interests or partners, no kids either I'm pretty sure. I don't know why (it's stupid, I assume it's working around some awkward code or something) but it's true, the other day I was trying to get two of my sims friends to be his roommates and it wasn't working, then I realised the two friends both had romantic interests. My sim has a high social networking skill so I used to relationship transmogrifier app to change them from romantic interests to friends and then I was instantly able to ask the two sims to be roommates. You could have the same problem.
  • Crazymanatuca21Crazymanatuca21 Posts: 66 New Member
    edited June 2013
    The sim I'm trying to get to be my roommate isn't in any relationship, but my sim is married. I don't know if she has any kids though because she's a townie, so no house for me to check out. She was a party dancer at my sim's bachelor party. I can ask her to move in though. Maybe I can move her in, then move her to another house and then ask her to be a roommate.
  • neon_wildneon_wild Posts: 1,220 Member
    edited June 2013
    ^I'd give it a go, maybe NPCs that don't have a house can't be roommates or something. Move her into town and see if that works.
  • dmel25dmel25 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited June 2013
    So I want to move my best friend and his wife into a house with my sim and his wife, and since sims cannot be in a relationship I broke my best friend and his wife up, and then asked both of them to be my roommates that way they both now live with me. But is there anyway to get the two married again?
  • dmel25dmel25 Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited June 2013
    bump
  • t3knosoulzt3knosoulz Posts: 95
    edited June 2013
    neon_wild wrote:
    ^I'd give it a go, maybe NPCs that don't have a house can't be roommates or something. Move her into town and see if that works.

I've asked NPC aliens to be roommates before and it worked fine :/ I feel like it's just some dumb thing about relationships that EA overlooked, which kinda sucks.
  • CazStaceyCazStacey Posts: 5
    edited July 2013
    I've managed to ask someone to be a room-mate whilst having a romantic interest in them.

However, I've started a new game and I want my male sim to ask a female sim to be his room mate, but I'm only getting the option "ask to move in" and it's such a pain!
  • tjcarr18tjcarr18 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited September 2013
    OK i have been having the problem as well. what you need to do is go to edit town. find the household that the Sim you want to be your roommate lives in. split up their household. they have to live alone. then you will be able to ask them to be your roommate. i just did it. it worked for me. i hope it will work for you to. so just try it.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top