Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Handicaped Sims?

Comments

• Options
    DanteTheDarkDanteTheDark Posts: 926 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. :roll:

Guess I'm not the only one handicapped here then.. :roll: haha.

No... you're not.
  • Options
    thecrazysimsgirlthecrazysimsgirl Posts: 13 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Longknife wrote:
    Longknife wrote:
    It's just that there's sort of a difference in laughing at clusmy people and laughing at disabled people.

No there isn't!

You people have just been raised in such a way that your entire knowledge base on disabled people includes the phrase "don't stare" and that's it! Have you ever freaking TALKED to a disabled person??

I guess what I'm trying to say is, as a disabled person, if another disabled guy falls flat on his ***, if it looked funny, hell yeah I'll laugh at him. Not everytime of course; then I'm a freaking *********. But I'd laugh as often as I would when I see an able bodied person fall. Only group that gets exempt from being the butt of this joke for me are the elderly and those with weak body frames, as every fall for them is potentially very dangerous.

I can't help but feel that the able-bodied are only holding back their laughter because they're overly-sensitive and totally afraid to ever laugh at ANYTHING regarding disabilities, out of fear of looking like a jerk. So now, we disabled can't have sims because the able-bodied don't wanna risk coming off as jerks. Yeah ok, that sounds fair. :roll:

Longknife, I just don't think some people get it. I guess you have to go through experiences with disabled people and you mature that way (in a sense). I work at a camp for disabled children. :D

I am WELL aware that that's the problem here.

I just think it's both hysterical and ridiculous that this thread is basically all of the able-bodied people TELLING the disabled people we would get offended if we were to be depicted in humorous ways, or burning to death.

I mean 🐸🐸🐸🐸. "If you saw a sim with one leg burning to death, wouldn't you feel bad??"

🐸🐸🐸🐸 are all disabled people blood-related or something?? If it was ME and the depiction was meant in a hateful way, maybe, but just some random guy with one leg burning? What do I care?

All the disabled people of the forums are here saying we want this put in, and we're requesting it because we know EA would gladly skip it if they're allowed, just because there's probably quite a bit of coding involved with it.

And yet, by GOD are we lucky to have the able-bodied people here to help us, and stop us from having our own Sims, since obviously they know what would offend us better than we ourselves!!

And yes, the able-bodied may not find humor in it, but the disabled do. Therefore, the able-bodied vote wins. I mean, it's common sense, really. It's just as logical as not letting black people vote because it would offend the white people. FLAWLESS logic, there!

I also love the comments that seem to imply the deaf and blind aren't functioning members of society, nor do they go outside alone. I know the typical deaf community especially would be raging over that comment. :lol:

I don't get it...you SHOULD beat them with your leg. :lol:
  • Options
    7Deadly5ins7Deadly5ins Posts: 524 Member
    edited July 2009

Again, uncalled for.
  • Options
    edited July 2009

No... you're not.

I was directing it towards 7deadly5sins...cause I was being sarcastic..I have Spina Bifida. :D
  • Options
    LongknifeLongknife Posts: 771 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Longknife wrote:
    Have you ever freaking TALKED to a disabled person??

Lemme end this conversational problem here... Most of you ARE talking to a disabled person as I myself am one. As far as the "Don't Stare" topic goes... most people never stare instead most rush to help in real life. If you actually do have common interactions with a disabled person in real life you really don't notice it being any different than anyone else. A friend is a friend regardless of what form or issue follows them.

Longknife wrote:
    You turn on the TV, and if someone left it on the Japanese Cartoon channel, your sim starts having epic seizures for the next two hours. Hell yeah I want that.

Actually light sensitivity based seizures only happen to about 8% of epileptics.

I know that, but no group is represented exactly. Someone may want the computer whiz trait because they can repair comps, but it also instantly gives them the ability to hack, even if they themselves are incapable of doing so. I was saying that, if represented, that is probably how they'd choose to do it in game. Simpsons did. If Simpsons did it, everyone will do it.

But whatever, let the epileptic community decide then. I for one don't understand why people would think I'd be offended if they depicted a one-legged guy falling over, or a guy in a wheelchair falling out of it.

Fact is, I lose balance so often that I've basically developed cat-like reflexes, and I catch myself almost every time when I'm about to fall simply by jumping just a tad to buy myself time to reposition my feet correctly. It'd be inaccurate to depict one-legged sims falling any more often than two-legged sims, anyways.

I'd just rather not have the community decide FOR ME that I shouldn't be depicted in comical situations, or that ONE one-legged guy comes in here and pitys his own situation, and the community clings to his story and doesn't listen to mine or the stories of many other people with my case who want prosthetics in game.
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Again, uncalled for.

Joking, geez calm down. :shock:
  • Options
    GoddessNoireGoddessNoire Posts: 769 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Longknife wrote:

I know that, but no group is represented exactly. Someone may want the computer whiz trait because they can repair comps, but it also instantly gives them the ability to hack, even if they themselves are incapable of doing so. I was saying that, if represented, that is probably how they'd choose to do it in game. Simpsons did. If Simpsons did it, everyone will do it.

But whatever, let the epileptic community decide then. I for one don't understand why people would think I'd be offended if they depicted a one-legged guy falling over, or a guy in a wheelchair falling out of it.

Fact is, I lose balance so often that I've basically developed cat-like reflexes, and I catch myself almost every time when I'm about to fall simply by jumping just a tad to buy myself time to reposition my feet correctly. It'd be inaccurate to depict one-legged sims falling any more often than two-legged sims, anyways.

I'd just rather not have the community decide FOR ME that I shouldn't be depicted in comical situations, or that ONE one-legged guy comes in here and pitys his own situation, and the community clings to his story and doesn't listen to mine or the stories of many other people with my case who want prosthetics in game.

I don't really care if you're not offended by a down syndrome kid getting set on fire or EA trying to depict the lifestyle or function of a down syndrome kid or any other disability that could be function at various levels. I'm offended. I do not have any disability, but I would be offended regardless of whether the "disabled community" would be offended. I don't think it's right for EA to try to depict a handicap, it's stupid and silly and anyone that would want it in the game is stupid.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Uli07 wrote:
    What?! I don't WANT autistic kids! What are you thinking? Why, if you have to go through with that in real life, would you ever want to play with it in a game that was designed especially for you to escape those types of things? Why would you expect OTHER people would want that?

And I agree normal is boring. If you wanna be fat, eat too much. If you wanna be a loner, super cool, at least you can still be successful and complete a lifetime want. I don't see how a paralyzed person could become an astronaut. Ok, so he's a bookworm and a writer, instead. What about the next paralyzed person? are they all gonna be the same 2 or 3 things? I'm not discriminating against real people with these disabilities, I'm talking about a GAME. Where I want everyone to be rich, famous and perfect, like nobody is in my real life! That's just me.

Do you guys even THINK??

What are you gonna do if some mother of an autistic child comes in here, reads your post, and it tears her heart up in more ways than one??

Believe it or not, autistic children are capable of being loved and of importance in this world.

Isn't that just amazing?? :-o
    Umm why would anyone want a handicapped sim.

Again, think before you freaking post.
    Now, I can't speak for everyone, but this thread has a fair amount of disabled people in it, and I can't count a single one who would be offended if they saw someone with their disability burn to death. I mean honestly, do you REALLY think we all have this brotherly bond, and seeing a total stranger of a Sim burn to death will offend us, JUST because he has a disability in common with us?? 🐸🐸🐸🐸 do you get offended everytime an able-bodied Sim burns to death? Didn't think so...

Second, if you must insist that disabled sims would lead boring lives, am I not the only one who would much rather play an Insane, Neurotic, Neat, Clumsy, Coward Sim than an Athletic, Genius, Ambitious, Brave, Bookworm Sim? The first one is FAAAAR more interesting and entertaining.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well I'm going,
    Got PLACES TO GO :wink:, people to see...
  • Options
    real_cutiereal_cutie Posts: 1,749 Member
    edited July 2009
    I wouldnt get mad if they put handicapped sims in the sims. but... the OP was talking about wheelchairs. not downsyndrome?? i dont see whats the big deal.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Longknife wrote:

I don't really care if you're not offended by a down syndrome kid getting set on fire or EA trying to depict the lifestyle or function of a down syndrome kid or any other disability that could be function at various levels. I'm offended. I do not have any disability, but I would be offended regardless of whether the "disabled community" would be offended. I don't think it's right for EA to try to depict a handicap, it's stupid and silly and anyone that would want it in the game is stupid.

Ok fair enough.

On a side note, I have suddenly decided that I find the idea of allowing black sims to be seen burning to death or involved in any sort of comical situation offensive. You just simply don't joke about a race that has face hundreds of years of oppression!

Therefore, I demand they be removed from the game immediately. Black people will just have to play as white sims as I would be offended by the game all otherwise!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well I'm going,
    Got PLACES TO GO :wink:, people to see...

Silly disabled person, you can't GO PLACES! :lol:
    You're disabled!
  • Options
    7Deadly5ins7Deadly5ins Posts: 524 Member
    edited July 2009
    You know I personally find the Neurotic trait a little bit offensive to people with OCD and the like too.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Longknife wrote:
    Longknife wrote:

Ok fair enough.

On a side note, I have suddenly decided that I find the idea of allowing black sims to be seen burning to death or involved in any sort of comical situation offensive. You just simply don't joke about a race that has face hundreds of years of oppression!

Therefore, I demand they be removed from the game immediately. Black people will just have to play as white sims as I would be offended by the game all otherwise!

ohhhh lawd. longknife. you shouldnt have went there... lol
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Longknife wrote:
    Uli07 wrote:
    What?! I don't WANT autistic kids! What are you thinking? Why, if you have to go through with that in real life, would you ever want to play with it in a game that was designed especially for you to escape those types of things? Why would you expect OTHER people would want that?

And I agree normal is boring. If you wanna be fat, eat too much. If you wanna be a loner, super cool, at least you can still be successful and complete a lifetime want. I don't see how a paralyzed person could become an astronaut. Ok, so he's a bookworm and a writer, instead. What about the next paralyzed person? are they all gonna be the same 2 or 3 things? I'm not discriminating against real people with these disabilities, I'm talking about a GAME. Where I want everyone to be rich, famous and perfect, like nobody is in my real life! That's just me.

Do you guys even THINK??

What are you gonna do if some mother of an autistic child comes in here, reads your post, and it tears her heart up in more ways than one??

Believe it or not, autistic children are capable of being loved and of importance in this world.

Isn't that just amazing?? :-o
    Umm why would anyone want a handicapped sim.

Again, think before you freaking post.
    Now, I can't speak for everyone, but this thread has a fair amount of disabled people in it, and I can't count a single one who would be offended if they saw someone with their disability burn to death. I mean honestly, do you REALLY think we all have this brotherly bond, and seeing a total stranger of a Sim burn to death will offend us, JUST because he has a disability in common with us?? 🐸🐸🐸🐸 do you get offended everytime an able-bodied Sim burns to death? Didn't think so...

Second, if you must insist that disabled sims would lead boring lives, am I not the only one who would much rather play an Insane, Neurotic, Neat, Clumsy, Coward Sim than an Athletic, Genius, Ambitious, Brave, Bookworm Sim? The first one is FAAAAR more interesting and entertaining.

Yah longknife post one line from my post instead of the whole entire post. You're an idiot if you think that EA's depiction of a handicap person will be non offensive. I don't care if you think it's not offensive. To me it's offensive. You think EA is going to properly depict a disabled person whether they function or not and what is that saying if your blind kid goes into the neurosurgeon career? I mean it's so silly I can't believe you would even entertain such a thing. it would be a big joke. Set your down syndome kid on fire! Let's see EA try to give depict a "corky" like sim. I don't play TS3 so I can play a guy in a wheelchair or have a kid that might come out with some genetic disorder. Why would I want to play that game, in real life that **** aint fun or a game. This isn't about disabled folks living boring mundane lives. I don't think that. But I don't think it's fair for EA to try to throw a handicapped sim in the game for us to play like it's some big joke. Have some common sense.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    And for the record Ea does not make any black sims. The sims are dark skin sim. There is no "BLACK SIM." You can't make your sim live the lifestyle of what you think black culture is, so your argument about EA making different race of sims is ridiculous anyway.
  • Options
    PinkFlyingPastaPinkFlyingPasta Posts: 303 Member
    edited July 2009
    I'm almost all the way deaf so it would be nice to see a simwho was. Like they wouldnt be able to hear the phone and stuff and would need flashing lights to tell them like when the doorbell rings. The only way I know someone is at the door is when my dog barks and she only barks when someone is there.
  • Options
    NixæNixæ Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2009
    ok, um, handicapped knife guy? I think that you should calm down a little. Not everyone is handicapped. And again I say, this is a game. A GAME. People that aren't handicapped...don't want to be. And that is the kind of thing about this game that alot of people play for... Because they aren't rich, they can't achieve their dreams, they can't have kids, maybe can't even get a girlfriend. So why, as a handicapped person, would you want to play the sims just to be yourself? If you wanna be yourself, go out into the real world, get a job, go to college to be whatever it is you wanna be, get a girlfriend, have 300 babies.
    Quit shoving the need to be handicapped down everyone's throats and let some other people have opinions without telling them how stupid they are.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited July 2009
    Yes many people want disabled kids there's one deaf person (maybe more) on this forum somewhere on another disabled topic thread, there's a person with prosthetic legs, and a bunch of others including moi (me) with disabiites and some people think that the disabled thinks it offensive not to include disabled people. I just thought of another reason whats the point of getting Medical Advice for pregnant sims when there's no disabilities?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    And for the record Ea does not make any black sims. The sims are dark skin sim. There is no "BLACK SIM." You can't make your sim live the lifestyle of what you think black culture is, so your argument about EA making different race of sims is ridiculous anyway.

Nope, my arguement is quite valid.

The dark skin toned Sims are obviously a Sim version of the real-life black community. I'm beginning to wonder if it's all not just clever way to allow the player to be racist and burn all dark skin-toned sims.

Therefore, I request the dark skin tone be removed from the game immediately. It's offensive to me to see the sim equivalent of a black person in such tragic situations depicted so comically. I'm only looking out for the good of the black community when I make this request, obviously.
  • Options
    MsCocoa30MsCocoa30 Posts: 388 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Wow...so much bias. This thread has turned nasty. As a disabled person (you could never tell by looking at me), I realize that there are stigmas associated with any mental or physical disability. With that said, ignorance is bliss and none of this tom foolery surprises me.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited July 2009

That's so true. As an Indonesian I can relate. Color-sliders or no, the unique Indonesian shade of colored is impossible to reach.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Longknife wrote:

Nope, my arguement is quite valid.

The dark skin toned Sims are obviously a Sim version of the real-life black community. I'm beginning to wonder if it's all not just clever way to allow the player to be racist and burn all dark skin-toned sims.

Therefore, I request the dark skin tone be removed from the game immediately. It's offensive to me to see the sim equivalent of a black person in such tragic situations depicted so comically. I'm only looking out for the good of the black community when I make this request, obviously.

ohhhhhhhhhh myyyyyy gooooooooooddddddddneeeeeeeesssssssssss.
  • Options
    DanteTheDarkDanteTheDark Posts: 926 New Member
    edited July 2009
    LOL your sarcastic point has been made Longknife I would suggest quitting it though before someone pulls out the mighty ban-stick. People are... touchy...
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Uli07 wrote:
    Quit shoving the need to be handicapped down everyone's throats and let some other people have opinions without telling them how stupid they are.

How ironic, coming from a person who insists that people like me who WANT disabled Sims shouldn't even have the possibility to create them, just because you yourself don't want anything to do with them.

God forbid we question your obvious authority on the decision on whether disabled sims should be allowed or not... :shock:
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top