Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Handicaped Sims?

Comments

• Options
    SiminaboxSiminabox Posts: 178 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Can you just imagine the name of the expansion facilitating this? XD
  • Options
    LongknifeLongknife Posts: 771 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Curtis090 wrote:
    MJ902008 wrote:
    how could you have a blind sim???

This.

Believe it or not, blind people go outdoors and go about town without getting lost EVERYDAY!!

Isn't that just AMAZING?? :-o
  • Options
    SweetestDrugSweetestDrug Posts: 5,406 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Longknife wrote:
    Curtis090 wrote:
    MJ902008 wrote:
    how could you have a blind sim???

This.

Believe it or not, blind people go outdoors and go about town without getting lost EVERYDAY!!

Isn't that just AMAZING?? :-o
    Lies!
    They just sit on their sofas all day.
    How dare handicap people be allowed to live? *sarcasm*
  • Options
    mountanddomountanddo Posts: 130 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Ok, lets take it a little further then. How come there aren't any "little people" in the game? Or someone that is 600lbs and can't get out of bed and need people to bring them huge amounts of food and refuse to lose weight? How about white supremist's, they have a right to simulate their life too don't they. How about parents that abuse children or husbands/wifes that beat their spouses? Yes, these are all terrible things that probably most people don't want in the game and will say that these suggestions are ridiculous but are they really any different than plain ole' handicapped people?

My nephews have oto palatal syndrome type 2 which gives him an physical disabilities but did not affect his mental abilities at all. If he were to play the game would he have the right to say his disability SHOULD be put in the game? What about crib death or babysitters that kill the children they are babysitting. All real life situations. All things that should not be in a game that is supposed to be ENTERTAINING.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:
    Ok, lets take it a little further then. How come there aren't any "little people" in the game? Or someone that is 600lbs and can't get out of bed and need people to bring them huge amounts of food and refuse to lose weight? How about white supremist's, they have a right to simulate their like too don't they. How about parents that abuse children or husbands/wifes that beat their spouses? Yes, these are all terrible things that probably most people don't want in the game and will say that these suggestions are ridiculous but are they really any different than plain ole' handicapped people?

My nephews have oto palatal syndrome type 2 which gives him an physical disabilities but did not affect his mental abilities at all. If he were to play the game would he have the right to say his disability SHOULD be put in the game? What about crib death or babysitters that kill the children they are babysitting. All real life situations. All things that should not be in a game that is supposed to be ENTERTAINING.

Which is being ridiculous.

I honestly have and always will find this "slippery slope" arguement total bull. It's nothing more than a way to say "I have no good comebacks, and therefore I will simply argue that it is too much work, or will somehow lead to less appropriate things getting implemented into the game."

Furthermore, do you not realize how ignorant and offensive it is to compare severely overweight people, little people (I assume you mean midgets and dwarves and so on), and the disabled to white supremacists and wife beaters?
    Uhh, YEAH, there is a difference. Disabled are a type of people who simply want to see sims customizable to match their real life selves. Wife beaters are something that would instantly rank the game as T or M, and white supremacists is something that would instantly put the Sims on the news and draw criticism.
    The difference between white supremacists and the disabled is also, one is a FACT of how the person is and the other is a belief. You do not need BELIEFS expressed in the game; you can pretend they are there. Christians have not complained about not being able to pray, Scientologist have surprisingly not sued about there not being a shrine to L. Ron Hubbard and Lord Xenu, and white supremacists have not complained about not being able to do whatever, because they can all PRETEND. You can build a church and live in it, you can make your Sim act good and holy, and the focus of the game is personalities and their clashes: ALL beliefs, political and religious, have been left out, and therefore we are all equal in that sense. No need to implement them now.

Hell, people can even pretend to have family abuse. The father is sure capable of abusing the wife and kids verbally, and the father IS actually capable of initiating a fight with the mother, and even the kids, once they're adults.

Disabilities however, I can't ignore that my Sim has one more leg than he should, and I'm sure people in wheelchairs are having issues ignoring that they can suddenly walk. In this sense, one group is represented and the other is NOT. We want equality.

As for your other two suggestions, personally I think people can pretend to be severely overweight. Just slide the slider all the way up and make your sim inactive and limit their levels of activeness before they need to rest. Little people? Great idea. Not only is this group not included as of now, but implementing them would be FAR easier than implementing the disabled, so EA should have no excuses. Just set them to remain children height and use the children's set of movements forever, 'cept they would have much more mature looking faces and all the interactions of adults avaliable.

Seriously, argue against my points or admit you're wrong. That slippery slope arguement is just bull and it's pathetic attempt to respond to points without actually GIVING counter-points; always has been.
  • Options
    MergadMergad Posts: 81 Member
    edited July 2009
    As much realism and fun and immersion and all that it would bring to have sims with disabilities and all differences people have, the most propable reason they're not there is, that they'd have to think how to make them appear in the game in a way that actually shows that they have a disability and is just not a big/glitch and how to actually code them into it.

If they left some out, there'd be crying that those people are being discriminated by being left out and the most sensitive ones would propably take up and sue EA for discriminating people with their disorder or disability for not adding them into the game while the others got in.
    There would also be alot of whining about how the game "generalizes" people with disabilities, there are so many productual difficulties in these things.

And I personally would like to have a sim born perhaps blind, without an arm... or have an accident that puts them into a wheelchari... Maybe be able to have a sim that's gender-confused and cross-dress them (I know, transgender people aren't disabled, but since we're talking about people "who are not following the 'norm'" I thought I'd mention this too), but all these would have added so much more work in planning and executing, that the game would most likely be still in process of making and there would propably be alot of glitches and contradictions in the code that'd need alot of work to clean out.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Mergad wrote:
    As much realism and fun and immersion and all that it would bring to have sims with disabilities and all differences people have, the most propable reason they're not there is, that they'd have to think how to make them appear in the game in a way that actually shows that they have a disability and is just not a big/glitch and how to actually code them into it.

If they left some out, there'd be crying that those people are being discriminated by being left out and the most sensitive ones would propably take up and sue EA for discriminating people with their disorder or disability for not adding them into the game while the others got in.
    There would also be alot of whining about how the game "generalizes" people with disabilities, there are so many productual difficulties in these things.

And I personally would like to have a sim born perhaps blind, without an arm... or have an accident that puts them into a wheelchari... Maybe be able to have a sim that's gender-confused and cross-dress them (I know, transgender people aren't disabled, but since we're talking about people "who are not following the 'norm'" I thought I'd mention this too), but all these would have added so much more work in planning and executing, that the game would most likely be still in process of making and there would propably be alot of glitches and contradictions in the code that'd need alot of work to clean out.

Yeah, if anything I would assume they'd leave this stuff out because they're too lazy to do the coding for wheelchairs, for feeling around, and for not responding when a sim calls to you or when a phone rings.

However, I do think the idea of "little people" is extremely doable, as is implementing prosthetic limbs. Little people just requires the body shell of a child with some adult-like features and adult interactions, and prosthetics simply require another option in Create-A-Sim that would make the chosen limb appear as a metallic prosthetic instead of a real limb.

Personally though I think blind and deaf sims would be worth implementing. That sounds pretty interesting and entertaining...
  • Options
    mountanddomountanddo Posts: 130 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Longknife wrote:
    Seriously, argue against my points or admit you're wrong. That slippery slope arguement is just bull and it's pathetic attempt to respond to points without actually GIVING counter-points; always has been.

I don't have to argue against YOUR points because I have my own points. Also, I don't have to admit I'm wrong because I have opinions just like everyone else and am allowed to express them. Face it, it won't happen in the game mainly because of the controversy over at the religion thread and the controversy in only 4 pages in this thread. This forum represents 1-2 percent of the Sims community. It just isn't going to happen. Why don't they have openly gay people in the game? yes, you can simulate them but they don't actually acknowledge that there are specific gay people nor did they create lovers with two men or two women. Because it is too controversial.
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited July 2009
    I didn't want to enter this discussion again, because last time I did that I ended up being banned for three days.

But then I remembered this disabled stand up comedian who had a part that roughly goes like this:

The biggest handicap you can have is being sound of body and limbs, because you're not elidgable for special funding, special seats and discounts in the theatres, cheaper taxi-rates, free museum visits on sundays, special funding from the city and free home-improvements from community services. And if I wasn't so lazy because of the free housekeeper, I would probably be able to get a lot more freebies too...
  • Options
    LittleMinxUndrLittleMinxUndr Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:
    Longknife wrote:

I don't have to argue against YOUR points because I have my own points. Also, I don't have to admit I'm wrong because I have opinions just like everyone else and am allowed to express them. Face it, it won't happen in the game mainly because of the controversy over at the religion thread and the controversy in only 4 pages in this thread. This forum represents 1-2 percent of the Sims community. It just isn't going to happen. Why don't they have openly gay people in the game? yes, you can simulate them but they don't actually acknowledge that there are specific gay people nor did they create lovers with two men or two women. Because it is too controversial.

You're a bit off here. In the Sims2 it was possible to check your sim's sexual aroientation with the use of boolprop, you'd get a popup with the chosen sim's portrait and a musing like "I'm interested in [gender]" Imagine my joy when a sim I had created and intended to be gay told me right from the start she was for the girls! Man, did she prowl Downtown! XD
  • Options
    zaftigcandiezaftigcandie Posts: 32 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I'm a special education teacher and I spend much of my time with exceptional people both in school and outside of it. Two of my best friends are blind and I spent five years going to a Deaf church. Generally speaking blind people don't really get into video games, however, most of them find other things to entertain themselves with. They still watch movies, and go to concerts and hang out with their friends. Deaf culture is amazing and wonderful. Many people don't even see their deafness as being a disability so much as being a difference. There are still those who complain about how they are treated by hearing people and I've had blind friends in the past who complained about their disability. Everyone is going to complain about something in their lives, that's their choice... some just choose to make their complaints about their disabilities. I have also had wonderful relationships with people who have cerebal palsy, autism, and other special needs. Point being, the majority of them live rich lives making friends, going to college, having families and careers just like anyone without a special need. I dislike the term disability because it teaches the younger students of mine to think of themselves as less. In the end I have taught them that their differences just make it so that others have to broaden their scope and relate to them a little bit differently.

As for making sims with "disabilities" I think there really needs to be a definition set. I've seen some people consider AIDS along the same lines as blindness or deafness or being unable to walk. My guess would be that if EA created an expansion pack they would most likely stick to the physical impairments of a sim. As someone else already said, they have emotional disabilities. Whether it's right or wrong is another story. It sounds as though many on this forum have never even spent time with someone with special needs. Quite obviously some of you have or even have a special need of some sort. Sadly my simself could never do MY real job, nor could my real family exist in the sims because of my some of my family member's special needs. Even still I play, just knowing that my sim will never be quite right with me.
  • Options
    ZenSandwichZenSandwich Posts: 221 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I've always wanted Handicapped Sims.... I think it would be fun to play, and it just doesn't seem right without them.
  • Options
    bethekinsbethekins Posts: 1,607 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I'm for having sims with handicaps. I have alot of real life friends who are in wheelchairs or have hearing difficulties.
    Also work with special-needs children, and a few of them play sims, who were upset that they could not make them selves in the game

I for one would enjoy another dimention to the game.

I feel that the people who don't want this in the game have been brought up with the "Dont stare at them" sort of mentality when it comes to this subject. There was another board about this a few weeks ago with a simmer saying that it would be offensive to the handicapped, to include them in the game, which I found a very odd thing to say.

I would like to see a bit more diversity in the game personally, though it would be a bit hard to depict a deaf, or blind sim in game, but I would still think that they could be represented.
  • Options
    Gtompkins48Gtompkins48 Posts: 477 Member
    edited July 2009
    This feature will NEVER be implemented in the game, so why waste your time arguing about it?
  • Options
    ZenSandwichZenSandwich Posts: 221 New Member
    edited July 2009
    This feature will NEVER be implemented in the game, so why waste your time arguing about it?
    What makes you so sure?
  • Options
    bigwillaybigwillay Posts: 26 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I am all for the handicapped idea but blind/deaf sims is to far. I do like the idea of wheelchair sims. As for blind and deaf sims we play the sims to get away from the stress of everyday life. And adding that element to the game would make it not as fun.How ever sims should have sickness, disease, and doctors appointments. Wouldn't it be cool if parents had to leave work early to pick up their sick child from school.For people that are against handicap sims the already put homosexuality into the game why not add handicap sims.It would add more diversity. It would also be amazing if the sims had a " don't stare at them mentality". :mrgreen:
  • Options
    LolsiclesLolsicles Posts: 119 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Wow, such a debate with this idea on disabilities.

I think I'll just talk about the lesser talked about first, and say that I would love if there was a way to change the height of a sim. I like being a little short, and it feels weird that other sims are the same height as my simself. It's like everyone is all 5'2"!

But, just to put my foot in the concept, I do think it is a somewhat good idea, but it's also too risky for EA to use on Sims. Personally I would love to play a blind or deaf sim, but many people would not like seeing this in the game for many reasons (it's offensive to them, what the evil and mean-spirited could do to them could look too harsh, it's too realistic, etc.). So, it's best to leave it out. Besides, a handicap is more like a physical trait, and it would be weird if your child had gotten the random trait of becoming blind when they grow up. Realistic, yes, people lose their eyesight sometimes in the real world, but just weird for the quirky and only-somewhat-realistic world of sims.
  • Options
    PinkMeyer015PinkMeyer015 Posts: 223 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I understand that incorporating special needs can be a hard thing to work around, with rights and everything. And I understand that some people are comletely opposed to the idea, but I personally think it would be really neat, I work with special needs my self, and I honestly think it is the best job in the world. It brings me lots of happiness. I think having a special needs teacher would be really cool, let alone a regular teaching job. I personally think if they incorporated some of these ideas into an expansion pack it would be neat, then the people who for some reason hate the idea don't have to buy the expansion pack. I know the sims in a game, but some younger kids look at this game and may think well, there are not special needs in the sims, it must be abnormal and wrong. WHEN IT IS NOT!!!!! There are so many things close to reality in this game it can be hard not to think that special needs are abnormal. The world isn't perfect, there are alot of individuals with different needs. I think it is sad that people who do not have special needs can create their simselves to be exactly like them, but yet all the simmers out there who have a special need can't.
  • Options
    Pastalover587Pastalover587 Posts: 978 New Member
    edited July 2009
    That would be fun. But it would be an option. It would be funny to have a mean spirited or evil sim run over people in town in their wheelchair! and elders should have an option to have those walker thingys. or even canes!
  • Options
    AbintraAbintra Posts: 454 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Well good for you, but I am not going to waste money on an EP about handicapped sims and disabilities.
    That's not entertaining for me.

Also you may think that "they could just add this ONE thing right.." but so do everyone else about other small things, and eventually it would be a whole LOT of things they'd have to add. Your want isn't any more important than other peoples want, and vice versa, so how on earth is EA supposed to choose?

I really don't see the use for every single disability or handicap in the game, and it's (obviously) not "fair" to just put SOME of them in. Like someone else said, then what about people with aids, cancer, extremely pale skin that ISN'T pink like in the game, extremely long hair, no noses, midgets, a missing finger ETC.

Do you understand how many things aren't in the game? And that your want isn't any more important than other peoples wants? If so then please quit making these threads. It's getting annoying that people seem to assume that their particular handicap or disease or whichever HAS to be in the game and if it isn't then it's discrimination or something else.
    There are hundreds of thousands of handicaps and disabilities and EA would have to choose. And there are no "basic handicaps" as someone else tried to say. So YOU try to figure out who EA should "discriminate" against in order to have YOUR idea in the game, and then contact them. Until then, please stop making these threads and use the search function. There are plenty of them.
  • Options
    MJ902008MJ902008 Posts: 818 New Member
    edited July 2009
    someone said they have neurotic, insane and klepto. but in the game they're supposed to be comical not real life. so if there were wheelchairs they may make it so that going down a hill a wheel falls off and you fall. or you fall out at home and can't get back up.

for deaf people they may make it so people yell and the sims point at their ears and then shrug their shoulders.

the sims wether people believe it or not is supposed to be fun and not problematic. there is no war, disease, killing, birth defects, or disabilities. if they put those in i personally wouldn't want to play. if it were a real life simulator then sure.

and i don't know much about making games, but i'd imagine that implementing disabilities would be somewhat difficult. and if they made an expansion pack i don't think many people would buy it. i know everyone doesn't buy every expansion pack but i imagine they make enough money so it's not a waste. but i think they would lose money with the disabilities expansion pack.
  • Options
    ZhivankarstZhivankarst Posts: 745 Member
    edited July 2009
    Can you imagine the glitches we would have with handicapped sims!

This point always seems to be glossed over on this particular topic, which is granted a very personal issue for many. But if we take a step back and look at the suggestion strictly in the context of how the current pathing works without including those with disabilities, it can be pretty horrendous at times.

Two sims talking on the front porch near the entry (say both arrived home from work and chat before entering the home, hug, whatever) - both will get the bite lower lip, hand on hip, tap foot animation. Two or three sims heading to the fridge for leftovers often causes a SERIES of the same end effects. Currently, and strictly in my own opinion, the sim placement in regards to pathing needs a bit of tweeking before we may seriously consider adding the suggested elements of sims living with disabilities.

Otherwise some get their wish of this being included, the forums are flooded with multiple complaints about the same issue(s)(as they are now x 10), and those who got blind, deaf, etc. sims in their game only because the expansion had a nice planter window and ballustrade fly into nerd fury.

Only in context with the current game limitations, I'm going to have to pass on this otherwise intriguing idea.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I didn't want to enter this discussion again, because last time I did that I ended up being banned for three days.

But then I remembered this disabled stand up comedian who had a part that roughly goes like this:

The biggest handicap you can have is being sound of body and limbs, because you're not elidgable for special funding, special seats and discounts in the theatres, cheaper taxi-rates, free museum visits on sundays, special funding from the city and free home-improvements from community services. And if I wasn't so lazy because of the free housekeeper, I would probably be able to get a lot more freebies too...

You too?! I got banned too, 🐸🐸🐸🐸... Who flagged every single debator there? That's really **** of them...

And oh man, don't even get me STARTED on how that free **** is a double-edged sword. I ditched the US and I'm now living in my other country, simply because healthcare costs alone were unbelievable. I always said the only real disability I have is in my wallet. I'm just lucky I'm a dual-citizen, otherwise things wouldn't be so easy as jumping ship to my second one.
  • Options
    MrPinto80MrPinto80 Posts: 7 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Once I ever get my game reinstalled, I could always make a Sim that has a bad right ankle and right knee, like myself. That would be easy enough to do, I s'ppose, for just creating a Sim likeness of myself, but I'm guessing that getting him to walk with a limp, on occasion, might be an interesting chore. :wink:

Matt
  • Options
    3FREAK3FREAK Posts: 266 New Member
    edited July 2009
    I think that it would be cool to have soldiers in the military career track or somethinggo to war and come back missing a limb or breaking a bone. It would add more excitement in the game IMO. :mrgreen: then I could make my dad.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top