March 27 - Click here for the last Friday Highlight of the month!
March 30 - International Women's Day Q&A - Answers are ready! Take a look here!

Handicaped Sims?

Comments

  • SimmieKSimmieK Posts: 2,323 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Kat you clearly have no idea how many handycaps/disabilities are out there so theres no way that would be possibe and on top of that there would be no tateful way to package such a thing .
    It would end up offending many more than it would please and i highly doubt enough people would buy it to make it worth the production cost

    I know there is ALOT of disabilities out there, but I still think adding a wheelchair isn't going to hurt anything.
  • DaehloenaDaehloena Posts: 166 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Of course it would be offensive to others, because sim gamestyle is not serious or realistic. It's quirky. No-one would be offended if a wheelchair-bound sim was able to use his wheelchair to get to work? It wouldn't bother someone that deaf conversations would be shouted?

    The game takes (or attempts to take) a comical, skewed view of certain life aspects. Handicaps would not be one of them, because it's not an aspect that could be tastefully poked at.
  • SimmieKSimmieK Posts: 2,323 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Daehloena wrote:
    Of course it would be offensive to others, because sim gamestyle is not serious or realistic. It's quirky. No-one would be offended if a wheelchair-bound sim was able to use his wheelchair to get to work? It wouldn't bother someone that deaf conversations would be shouted?

    The game takes (or attempts to take) a comical, skewed view of certain life aspects. Handicaps would not be one of them, because it's not an aspect that could be tastefully poked at.

    I know the game is quirky but I still think humour and seriousness can coexist.
  • SmyleySmyley Posts: 45
    edited July 2009
    cupcake wrote:
    I would personally not like it if this sort of thing was included in the game. This game is basically used to get away from reality in creating your personal own world. If you want uptmost realism then turn your computer off and go outside.

    In my reality, I am a perfectly healthy male. I always thought it would be interesting to try playing handicapped. That would be an escape for me. Not everyone's idea of escaping is to a perfect world.
  • DaynaJaydeDaynaJayde Posts: 247
    edited July 2009
    Isn't 'handicaped' spelt handicapped?
    Heh.

    Anyway;
    I think adding disabilities would just make the game a whole lot more difficult. It'd be really frustrating for me to have a blind/deaf person to control, especially since your sims can leave and explore the outside world now. A person in a wheelchair wouldn't be as difficult since they don't lack an ability which basically all sims need. Eg. How would a blind person have fun? Or a deaf person be able to have a conversation? Unless they add sign language and books for blind people (with the bumpy things xD) it's just too much.
  • LoopLoop Posts: 21
    edited July 2009
    I understand the Don't offend sentiments here, but A) how about the offense already happening in that there are nothing but near perfect sims none with disabilities? and B) when it comes to offense, I stand by my belief that if you do not have the right to be offeneded or insulted, or to offend or insult another you do not have Freedom of speech. it is inevitable that Someone will be offended by something, to think that they can traverse their entire life seeing only the good is more detrimental to someone than to cause them a physical injury.


    addendum, there are mental handicaps in the game (klepto, neurotic, Insane) so why nod a sim in a wheelchair,
  • LoopLoop Posts: 21
    edited July 2009
    DaynaJayde wrote:
    Isn't 'handicaped' spelt handicapped?
    Heh.

    probably, I cannot spell anymore the ability has decayed since leaving school those many years ago, and I don't like spell checkers cause they are kinda like cheating.
  • LoopLoop Posts: 21
    edited July 2009
    Katcarcat wrote:
    I say they should include everything, blind, deaf, wheelchairs, whatever. If a person doesnt want it in the game, just dont use the options.

    And can teens get pregnant? I havent tried it yet, but I hope they can, mainly because it would be a neat challenge, a bit more realistic.
    There is a hack that allows teens to woo hoo and get pregnant, but I think EA blocks you from updates if you have it installed.
  • MissAnneMissAnne Posts: 544 New Member
    edited July 2009
    - Sims in wheelchairs
    - Sims who are partially paralyzed
    - Sims who are deaf
    - Sims who are mute
    - Sims who are blind
    - Sims who are colorblind
    - Sims who are amputees
    - Sims are impotent
    - Sims who are hermaprodites
    - Sims who were transgendered
    - Sims with AIDS
    - Sims with cancer
    - Sims with herpes
    - Sims with HPV
    - Sims with chlamydia
    - Sims with syphilis
    - Sims with growth stunts
    - Sims suffering from insomnia
    - Sims suffering from shell shock syndrome
    - Sims suffering autism
    - Sims suffering asperger's syndrome
    - Sims who are dsylexic
    - Sims with multi personality disorders
    - Sims with schizophrenia
    - Sims with acrophobia
    - Sims with arachnophobia
    - Sims with h omophobia
    - Sims who are racist


    Yay, diversity!

    And gosh darnnit, I'm thanatophobic! Why didn't EA include people like me? Descrimination!

    Feel free to add to the list, you guys. EA needs to hear our voices!
  • vryall86vryall86 Posts: 29
    edited July 2009
    Oh come on!

    It's a game, you talk about realism? GHOST BABIES! gees.

    basically It's your own little world to control and i don't know about you but if i had to play 'god' I wouldn't have people suffer with physical ailments.

    I have stuff going wrong, body parts not working properly, i don't want to see that in my game.
  • SimmieKSimmieK Posts: 2,323 New Member
    edited July 2009
    MissAnne wrote:
    - Sims in wheelchairs
    - Sims who are partially paralyzed
    - Sims who are deaf
    - Sims who are mute
    - Sims who are blind
    - Sims who are colorblind
    - Sims who are amputees
    - Sims are impotent
    - Sims who are hermaprodites
    - Sims who were transgendered
    - Sims with AIDS
    - Sims with cancer
    - Sims with herpes
    - Sims with HPV
    - Sims with chlamydia
    - Sims with syphilis
    - Sims with growth stunts
    - Sims suffering from insomnia
    - Sims suffering from shell shock syndrome
    - Sims suffering autism
    - Sims suffering asperger's syndrome
    - Sims who are dsylexic
    - Sims with multi personality disorders
    - Sims with schizophrenia
    - Sims with acrophobia
    - Sims with arachnophobia
    - Sims with h omophobia
    - Sims who are racist


    Yay, diversity!

    And gosh darnnit, I'm thanatophobic! Why didn't EA include people like me? Descrimination!

    Feel free to add to the list, you guys. EA needs to hear our voices!

    WOW.... umm.....
    nvxnwi.jpg
  • Sim2Kid405Sim2Kid405 Posts: 205 Member
    edited July 2009
    well there is really no need to take this to discrimination, this does not have no nationality in it, it doesn't say pick a Caucasian or the state you live in, its a good request, some people take it over board with the politics of the issue, I would like to see different type of disabilities in the game, but remember you talking a whole new ballgame here, for example:

    Blind People: You have to implement, Feel and touch.

    Disable People in Wheel Chair: well ramps and elevators and handicap School Buses and Vans.

    Disable People that is Deaf: sign Language.

    And of course you have to also have special Ed in school to teach the disabled people, and lets not forget learning disabilities and a npc called Nurse's and Nurse aid's to take care of the disabilities so this is a great idea it will give the game more realism and more stuff to do. so bene's for you to request it.
  • mountanddomountanddo Posts: 130
    edited July 2009
    Not to mention, if you're handicapped theres obviously something wrong. Meaning, i'd think that they could then enable some diseases or sicknesses. But yea that'd be awesome to have seeing eye dogs.

    Are you connecting someone being handicapped with sickness and disease? I'm not handicapped but even I'm offended by that.
    julieexann wrote:
    I think wheelchairs, deafness, blindness, you know, basic disabilities should at least be included.

    yeah, you know basic disabilities. Basic Disabilities? I'm pretty sure that those who are in wheelchairs, deaf or blind don't see their disability as basic. Honesty, why would a blind person want to play a video game like sims? Not to be rude, but they are blind.
    Loop wrote:
    I understand the Don't offend sentiments here, but A) how about the offense already happening in that there are nothing but near perfect sims none with disabilities?

    addendum, there are mental handicaps in the game (klepto, neurotic, Insane) so why nod a sim in a wheelchair,

    Because this is a GAME not real life. It's supposed to be light and funny. That is why things like religion, politics and handicapped individuals are not in the game. Wouldn't it be fun if someone with AIDS was in the game? We could watch them take tons of pills and go to the hospital and then eventually die. Lots of people have AIDS so I would think they might be offended if a wheelchair or the ability to be blind or deaf was in the game and AIDS wasn't. Where do you stop? This game was never meant to be a "real life" simulator. Yes, it does simulate life but mostly unrealistic life like money trees and planting cheese and zapping yourself to the store. Should we take these things out of the game because they are unrealistic. I better say too that in case someone thinks I'm serious, I don't think AIDS should be in the game. (just in case)

    Some might be offended by this but if there were wheelchairs in the game I might be tempted to push the poor sim into the pool and watch them die. Not because I would do that in real life but because it's funny and that is why I play this game.
  • LongknifeLongknife Posts: 771 New Member
    edited July 2009
    DaynaJayde wrote:
    Isn't 'handicaped' spelt handicapped?
    Heh.

    Anyway;
    I think adding disabilities would just make the game a whole lot more difficult. It'd be really frustrating for me to have a blind/deaf person to control, especially since your sims can leave and explore the outside world now. A person in a wheelchair wouldn't be as difficult since they don't lack an ability which basically all sims need. Eg. How would a blind person have fun? Or a deaf person be able to have a conversation? Unless they add sign language and books for blind people (with the bumpy things xD) it's just too much.

    Believe it or not, madam, but there are blind and deaf people out there having fun almost EVERYDAY!!


    Isn't that just amazing?? :-o
  • mountanddomountanddo Posts: 130
    edited July 2009
    Sim2Kid405 wrote:
    And of course you have to also have special Ed in school to teach the disabled people, and lets not forget learning disabilities and a npc called Nurse's and Nurse aid's to take care of the disabilities so this is a great idea it will give the game more realism and more stuff to do. so bene's for you to request it.

    I will guarentee you that the more realism they put in the game the more customers they will lose. I don't want realism in the game. That's why I cheat and use mods, LOL.

    Just as a side note, I'm not too happy with the fact that sims can cheat on each other because I was cheated on and I just don't think that it is nice to put that in and I would like that taken out.
  • luckybaerluckybaer Posts: 43
    edited July 2009
    MJ902008 wrote:
    how could you have a blind sim??? cause trying to control it would be pointless. someone would probably make a mod but i don't think ea would ever introduce handicaps because there are too many to include and if they include paralyzed sims but not deaf then people would complain and vice versa
    The Sim could have a seeing-eye dog, or he could have a loved one or a hired assistant be his guide. No worries about driving, since the magical cabs are everywhere.

    Also, the amount of time the Sim spends in a particular lot would drive the amount of assistance he/she would need in navigating the lot. For example, the Sim might not need any help navigating his/her own apartment/house, but he/she would need guidance the first time he/she went to the grocery store.

    It would be nice to have the OPTION of creating special need Sims. I wouldn't mind that as long as I could turn the option off, too.
  • SweetestDrugSweetestDrug Posts: 5,406 New Member
    edited July 2009
    i just cant see handicapped sims in my game..
    if you think about it it would seem like they're poking fun to it?
    Like honestly.. what would a deaf sim be able to do while in game?
    Point at their ears and try to tell them how they are deaf..
    Some people could find that offensive and it would just start problems.
    Now, I'm not saying it wouldn't be interesting to have a larger variety, just not maybe in these games.
  • XxXReidoXxXXxXReidoXxX Posts: 45
    edited July 2009
    :) i Think That Having i Handicapped Sims In The Sims Game Would Be Quite A Good idea Seeing That It Would Make Everyone Feel Involved In the Game. No One Is Perfect , We try to make our sims the "ideal person" , everyone is not like that. also i think having this in the game would be a good experience for people who are not handicapped could maybe experience what it is like for them. (:
  • mountanddomountanddo Posts: 130
    edited July 2009
    :) i Think That Having i Handicapped Sims In The Sims Game Would Be Quite A Good idea Seeing That It Would Make Everyone Feel Involved In the Game. No One Is Perfect , We try to make our sims the "ideal person" , everyone is not like that. also i think having this in the game would be a good experience for people who are not handicapped could maybe experience what it is like for them. (:

    I'm sorry but I don't want to experience what it is like to be a handicapped person. If I did, I would go volunteer somewhere. The sims isn't meant to be a tool to have "good experiences" and make people more sensitive to handicapped people or different religions or to change someone from democrat to repuplican.

    I don't want it in my game. I like the fact you can make an ideal sim. I never make fat or ugly people because frankly, I don't want to see that. I make myself thin and pretty and have them wear really cool clothes I can't wear myself. That's why I play so I can be someone else. Isn't that their catch phrase? "be someone else?"
  • SweetestDrugSweetestDrug Posts: 5,406 New Member
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:
    :) i Think That Having i Handicapped Sims In The Sims Game Would Be Quite A Good idea Seeing That It Would Make Everyone Feel Involved In the Game. No One Is Perfect , We try to make our sims the "ideal person" , everyone is not like that. also i think having this in the game would be a good experience for people who are not handicapped could maybe experience what it is like for them. (:

    I'm sorry but I don't want to experience what it is like to be a handicapped person. If I did, I would go volunteer somewhere. I don't want it in my game. I like the fact you can make an ideal sim. I never make fat or ugly people because frankly, I don't want to see that. I make myself thin and pretty and have them wear really cool clothes I can't wear myself. That's why I play so I can be someone else. Isn't that their catch phrase? "be someone else?"
    True, but maybe someone would want to experience being a handicap person in their game
  • aleneghan619aleneghan619 Posts: 4,947 Member
    edited July 2009
    Can you imagine the glitches we would have with handicapped sims!
    tumblr_inline_movqnq54lT1qz4rgp.gif

  • XxXReidoXxXXxXReidoXxX Posts: 45
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:
    :) i Think That Having i Handicapped Sims In The Sims Game Would Be Quite A Good idea Seeing That It Would Make Everyone Feel Involved In the Game. No One Is Perfect , We try to make our sims the "ideal person" , everyone is not like that. also i think having this in the game would be a good experience for people who are not handicapped could maybe experience what it is like for them. (:

    I'm sorry but I don't want to experience what it is like to be a handicapped person. If I did, I would go volunteer somewhere. I don't want it in my game. I like the fact you can make an ideal sim. I never make fat or ugly people because frankly, I don't want to see that. I make myself thin and pretty and have them wear really cool clothes I can't wear myself. That's why I play so I can be someone else. Isn't that their catch phrase? "be someone else?"
    True, but maybe someone would want to experience being a handicap person in their game
    Maybe Have A Choice Whether To Use Or Not ?.
  • LongknifeLongknife Posts: 771 New Member
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:

    Because this is a GAME not real life. It's supposed to be light and funny. That is why things like religion, politics and handicapped individuals are not in the game. Wouldn't it be fun if someone with AIDS was in the game? We could watch them take tons of pills and go to the hospital and then eventually die. Lots of people have AIDS so I would think they might be offended if a wheelchair or the ability to be blind or deaf was in the game and AIDS wasn't. Where do you stop? This game was never meant to be a "real life" simulator. Yes, it does simulate life but mostly unrealistic life like money trees and planting cheese and zapping yourself to the store. Should we take these things out of the game because they are unrealistic. I better say too that in case someone thinks I'm serious, I don't think AIDS should be in the game. (just in case)

    Some might be offended by this but if there were wheelchairs in the game I might be tempted to push the poor sim into the pool and watch them die. Not because I would do that in real life but because it's funny and that is why I play this game.





    OK OK hold up...




    Let me start off by saying that when I opened up this thread and saw the comments on the first page, my first thought was "here we go again..."

    So I'm going to run through your post and answer all your little comments real quick.


    First off, if you are disabled it does not mean "something is wrong with you." It wasn't an illness or accident neccesarily. A good portion of it comes from birth, and citing something someone has had since birth as a defect is just ridiculous; it'd be the same as me saying something's wrong with you because you don't have three eyes and can't experience having three eyes: What do you care? You've never known what it's like to have three eyes. Two eyes is who you are.


    Second, I'mma be a lot more blunt than I was in the last thread:


    Those of you saying "it might offend someone" I see as extremely ignorant on the subject matter. You're talking about the disabled as if they're alien life forms with their own culture and ways of life, so we need to approach them with caution and understanding. The fact is....they're ******* people. They're the same as anyone else, cept a body part or sense is missing. Viewing them as a totally different group IS just ignorance, and it's a mistake. What do you think would happen if you approached a group of black people with the same cautious-about-offending and overly-understanding tone, as if they were aliens? They'd call you freaking racist, and they'd say "I'm black, not from Mars, god **** it."



    Third, I challenge you to find ONE disabled person who would be offended by depictions of Sims in wheelchairs burning to death. It is no different than the offense you take to Sims with two legs and all five senses burning to death; you've gotta be kidding yourself if you think all people in wheelchairs have this brotherly bond, and also being disabled gives them 80% more sensitivity, so they ABSOLUTELY DO NOT like seeing depictions of "their kind" dying. Their personalities are the same as the able-bodied, and their views on Sims dying on the Sims are the same. You've GOT to be ******* kidding me if you think there's this TOTALLY different world the disabled live in. xD It's called Earth. You live there too.

    Also, I honestly don't care if you even manage to find one. There's plenty of self-pitying disabled who WOULD get offended, but only because people like you GIVE them pity, which sub-conciously encourages them to throw a pity party. The disabled, whether it's from birth or from an illness or from a war, do NOT need lifelong pity. (I say lifelong cause anyone would get pity after surgery. Anyone deserves that) They need to be treated like everyone else.





    And last, let me cite a paradox that came up in the last arguement like this.
    Those arguing against it were crying about how the disabled are always pitying themselves and whining and throwing a big fit over little things while other groups can just deal with it. One woman said her unique skin color was unavaliable in game too (nevermind that she should be able to make any skin tone with enough fiddling), and yet she doesn't whine and cry discrimination, because she is able to look at her minority trait and laugh about it, and she doesn't sulk and whine about it.
    At the same time, she was arguing that the handicapped are victims, and are not to be made fun of. Victims deserve pure, undying pity, and it would be sick to laugh at a victim, as that is the same as kicking somebody while they're down.



    Do you see the paradox here? I, as a disabled person, WANT to be able to laugh at myself too. Pretty sure I do it every day, regardless of what she says. Yet, because I do it, she says my views on the matter are WRONG. Now, let's say I were to listen to her, change my ways, and start pitying myself and feeling sorry for myself. OH WAIT, SHI-! She has something against that too!! Not being able to laugh at yourself and accept yourself for who you are is also a mistake in her book! 🌺🌺🌺🌺!?! How do we solve this??


    The answer is that EVERY person should be able to laugh at themselves and accept themselves for who they are. The disabled are no different, and pitying them will NEVER allow them to be able to do this; it just turns them into whiners who love feeling sorry for themselves and expect the world of every able-bodied person.










    So honestly? I'm 100% for including them in game, and I think you SHOULD be, too. Not just I disagree, I think you're flat-out wrong. You're viewing the disabled as alien beings who have a different culture and way of dealing with social situations, but 🌺🌺🌺🌺 they're human.

    And if you still disagree with me, I may have to beat you down with my fake leg, until it knocks some sense into you.



    IMG000078.jpg



  • SweetestDrugSweetestDrug Posts: 5,406 New Member
    edited July 2009
    mountanddo wrote:
    :) i Think That Having i Handicapped Sims In The Sims Game Would Be Quite A Good idea Seeing That It Would Make Everyone Feel Involved In the Game. No One Is Perfect , We try to make our sims the "ideal person" , everyone is not like that. also i think having this in the game would be a good experience for people who are not handicapped could maybe experience what it is like for them. (:

    I'm sorry but I don't want to experience what it is like to be a handicapped person. If I did, I would go volunteer somewhere. I don't want it in my game. I like the fact you can make an ideal sim. I never make fat or ugly people because frankly, I don't want to see that. I make myself thin and pretty and have them wear really cool clothes I can't wear myself. That's why I play so I can be someone else. Isn't that their catch phrase? "be someone else?"
    True, but maybe someone would want to experience being a handicap person in their game
    Maybe Have A Choice Whether To Use Or Not ?.
    *Enable Handicap*
    Just doesn't sound right
  • Curtis090Curtis090 Posts: 186
    edited July 2009
    MJ902008 wrote:
    how could you have a blind sim???

    This.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top