Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

WIP: Kamloops, British Columbia

Comments

• Options
    MetallifanMetallifan Posts: 188 Member
    edited January 2013
    Did lots more work on downtown. Mostly heritage homes.
    Kamloops17.png

Also got Hwy 5 laid out, along with the Halston Connector, Rayleigh and Mt. Paul Industrial Park
    Kamloops18.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    So, sorry to say this Fuzzy, but it looks like Universities will be seperate worlds. In other words, adding TRU to Kamloops as a functioning University just won't work (EA, why you so stoopid!?)

I'll probably still add the campus, but apparently the buildings won't actually be able to do anything :/
  • Options
    FuzzySlipers45FuzzySlipers45 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited February 2013
    Darn :( Well, at least I'll be able to look at the buildings :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Dini60Dini60 Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2013
    Hey, is that a Petro-Can station there on the trans-canada. lol

I have had more meals than I can count at that truck stop, back in the day when I travelled between Edmonton AB and Vancouver Island BC.

You are doing a great representation considering the limits of CAW.
  • Options
    xXJessiXxxXJessiXx Posts: 61 Member
    edited February 2013
    Kamloops! I live like 30mins away! :D great job btw!
  • Options
    Angel_D0109Angel_D0109 Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited February 2013
    Yay! Fellow Canadians! I come from Calgary, Alberta. :P I've visited B.C. before while visiting an aunt, B.C. is really beautiful, especially the Rocky Mountain area. :)
    The world is looking great so far! Although.. I thought it would be a bit more green? Or are you slowly filling in the green?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Dini: Couldn't be! I haven't laid Hwy 1 down yet! :P Only gas station I've placed is the one at the Canadian Tire on 8th Street. I'll probably put down one or two of the truck stops on Hwy 5 at Halston though, as gas stations, a Honda dealer, and a Home Hardware are pretty much all that's out there lol

Haha, awesome Jessi! Pinantan, I'm guessing?

Angel: Nope! What you're looking at is pretty much the environment of the Thompson Valley. Very brown, dry, arid... Alot like the the environment around Los Angeles - dry grass, dry trees, and forest fires every year :P To compare a little closer to you, think Drumheller with mountains, and we're pretty close to that. Maybe a little more arid on account of how rocky it is, but pretty darn close. As far as the rich green version of BC, you're thinking more along the lines of Hope, Prince George, Summerland, those sorts of places.

It does get greener much further up into the mountains around the area, but at the elevations that I'm laying out, you're pretty much looking at all the green there is.
  • Options
    xXJessiXxxXJessiXx Posts: 61 Member
    edited February 2013
    No the other way to the shuswap :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Oh cool, so up near Chase area then! I used to go camping up at Niskonlith all the time when I was in highschool. The lakes out that way are great. Little busy sometimes, but can't complain otherwise.
  • Options
    DespoticMindDespoticMind Posts: 49 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Oh my goodness! I'm so stoked for this! Having lived in Kamloops and Barriere for the majority of my life, as I still do, I am unbelievably excited to see the end result to this! Looks amazing so far. I saw the bridge from North Shore to Downtown and squealed with excitement. Haha. You're awesome. <3
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks Despotic! You'll love this update then!

Downtown is -almost- finished. A few more houses and community lots left to go:
    Kamloops20_zpsae4f77f7.png

And I've got a hefty chunk of the Trans Canada Hwy laid out - from Valleyview up to the Columbia St. connector (Ignore the bugged terrain sticking out through the Peterson Creek bridge. It's actually level):
    Kamloops19_zpsddb9741d.png

You can also see the start of the terrain sculpting for Mt. Paul in the background.

Progress!
  • Options
    Dini60Dini60 Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2013
    This is coming along nicely.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Sorry I haven't had any new screens for the last couple days. Been run off my feet - I'm on the last 5 weeks of my HCA practicum, and I'm on Home Support this week so... Not much time (Or energy) for CAW :P

I did get a couple lots done, and I got some more terrain work done on the Mt. Paul area, but I'll hold the screens until I got something good to show. Expect more pics this weekend!
  • Options
    FuzzySlipers45FuzzySlipers45 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited February 2013
    Can't wait to see more!
  • Options
    DespoticMindDespoticMind Posts: 49 New Member
    edited February 2013
    I do indeed love this update! Hope I have my new computer when this comes out so I can actually see it in all its Kamloopsian glory haha. You're doing wonderfully. :). /excited
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Downtown residential area is now finished! I think I'll work on adding the Domtar mill out at Mission Flats next, and then finish up Mt. Paul

Kamloops21_zps7ebee312.png
  • Options
    NilxisNilxis Posts: 596 Member
    edited February 2013
    I watched a TV programme about places in Canada when I went to Andorra last year and they showed this region. It looks great, can't wait to see more :wink:
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks Nilxis! Coming from you, that means a lot considering this can't compare to your Ziwa Bonde world!

EDIT: As of 1:45AM PST (And only because it's a holiday today in BC!), just a small update. Mission Flats is done. There isn't much out that way, aside from the Domtar pulp mill and a landfill, so that's all I put down.

In-game, the mill buildings are all empty shells. Coincidentally, Domtar is shutting down the Kamloops mill. I wouldn't advise it in reality, but in the sims, it would make a great industrial-themed club!

Looking North:
    Kamloops22_zps4f95e421.png

And looking South:
    Kamloops24_zpsd456b439.png

And I've started some serious terraforming out towards Mt Paul. Looking toward the East:Kamloops23_zps240d2fcd.png
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Tonight's update! I've placed all but one lot at Mt. Paul. Now, I had to break map accuracy here for the sake of gameplay. Thing is, if you hop on Google and look up Mount Paul Way, you'll see the entire area is industrial park populated primarily by warehouses and auto wreckers.

I didn't feel it was necessary to have 5 or 6 junkyards in that one spot just for the sake of matching the map, so as well as the KXA (Which is now actually a Northern Trailer assembly site, but I needed an Equestrian Centre) I've placed numerous other lots that I felt would just benefit the area more than Junkyard spam. Take a look:
    Kamloops25_zps275b56d2.png

And also, I wanted to get a screenshot of just how far the map has come, to give an impression of the overall progress, and what's left. Here's that picture, with fog diabled for better visibility:
    Kamloops26_zpsfc02132c.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    No update for Kamloops today. Soon, young grasshopper. Soon.

I did, however, post a thread for my backup project when I need a break from the large amount of work that comes from trying to recreate a real-world location from the ground up. You can check out that alternate project, titled "Santa Engracia", here

Till next time!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    OilbasedoleanderOilbasedoleander Posts: 2,967 Member
    edited February 2013
    :wave: hello there! I'm really liking how your world is turning out. I've never been to your location before so I have no idea what it's suppose to look like ;) but its pretty awesome! Are you just working with a desert world or is it going to be lush by the end?
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Hi Oilbase! Glad you like it! The painted terrain you see is pretty much what the Thompson valley looks like. It's all semi-arid grassland, so big emphasis on shades of brown and dry grasses.
  • Options
    Illyianna2005Illyianna2005 Posts: 895 Member
    edited February 2013
    It's good to see more Canada type Worlds coming out. I was considering making Nova Scotia but Caw and I, well we do not get a long, lol
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I fully encourage you to try, Illyianna! Newfoundland is wonderful and a N&L themed world would be a nice alternative for anyone that wasn't happy with the blandness of Aurora Skies (Though which, in itself, defintely has some Newfie to it)
  • Options
    Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited February 2013

Coming along nicely! Too bad about the DT, but if you were to not build too close to the edges of your map, you could paint the edges Camera non-routable. I can't remember what size map you're using, but I don't think the Camera non-routable is really suitable for much besides the 2048x2048 map as you should paint at least 2 chunks around.

Nilxis, I'd love you to do a part of Canada :D. You should take a look at the area around Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia. I was thinking of doing a Peggy's Cove, but after Salem (if I ever get if off my old hard drive into my old or wait till I get my new computer), I want to get off the North American continent.

Good luck with your course Metallifan :D.