Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Reliability of the Graphics Card chart on the Sims Wiki

Everyone touts that as the go to place when trying to find a graphics card for their computer, be it a new computer or a card upgrade.

However, of the three graphics cards that I've owned and played Sims 3 with, I only agree with one of them. I technically own four and I agree with that one as well, but the fourth is an integrated video card.

My old desktop had either the nVidia GeForce 6600 or 6800 when I got an upgrade for it (my brother had the same model desktop and when he got a new computer I bought his graphics card from him since his new computer had a better graphics card). It could play the game just fine until Late Night. Then it only had issues with Bridgeport. It was just fine with Ambitions, but the chart for both lists it as a No. Granted, I had lag, but I also played with StoryProgression on let's hear everything about everyone settings (ie: default settings). But I also had 1.5 GB RAM (Windows XP) and a 3500+ AMD Athlon 64 processor. My computer was high entry level when I got it October of 2005.

My new, and current, computer started out with the Radeon HD 6450. It's processor is the Intel i7 2600 and has 6 GB of RAM. And it played the game better than the old computer.

Then last October I got a new graphics card: nVidia GeForce GT 610 and I've had no problems at all. I'd have gone higher but I had a budget and any better would have required a second purchase of a power supply which would have blown the budget.

Yet both of those graphics card are apparently worse than the much older GeForce 6600 of my old computer. And I've got better performance. I can run the game at mid to high settings with StoryProgression going crazy. And large families in big neighborhoods.

So while I doubt someone just made stuff up, too many of the forum's users that are knowledge in this kind of thing point to it for it be made up; when my personal experience runs counter to what the chart is saying, it makes me wonder how much data they used.

Comments

• Options
    Purplefreak3Purplefreak3 Posts: 583 Member
    edited January 2013
    I use http://www.game-debate.com/ it just not sim related you can check any game against your specs or enter in any specs you want, talking about upgrading a graphic card or adding more ram and let you know how well it will run at different settings. Can even compare specs together to see which is better.
  • Options
    Icy_LavaIcy_Lava Posts: 5,461 Member
    edited January 2013
    Well, as much as I didn't want to hear this, thanks for doing so. It was nice of you.
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    edited January 2013
    I use http://www.game-debate.com/ it just not sim related you can check any game against your specs or enter in any specs you want, talking about upgrading a graphic card or adding more ram and let you know how well it will run at different settings. Can even compare specs together to see which is better.

That site seems to be a better fit for what I've experienced. I did have to sign up to get the comparison to the game itself, though.