Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Compendium of Information (Read First Page for Answers) Last 2 or 3 pages are broken, go backwards.

aarinaarin Posts: 7,260 New Member
How to use this thread:
Please search for your question first using CTRL+F (this should open the search page feature of your browser). Enter either the name of a section (basics, advanced, etc) or the question listed in contents to skip to it. Alternately, you can just simply read through.

Need to do list: Careers, social troubleshooting, citation coding throughout, common questions I seem to have missed as well.

Contents
(SCROLL FURTHER DOWN TO THE SECOND AND THIRD POSTS FOR ANSWERS, OR USE CTRL+F AND ENTER THE QUESTION TO SKIP DIRECTLY TO IT)

Basics: Just the very basics about gameplay!
What is Riverview? Is it free? Where can I download it?
Why can't I view my sim when they go into certain lots?
What is the mine? What is Stonehenge? What are the Catacombs?
How do I move out of a lot?
You may also go into "edit town" mode and move the household that way.
Is it possible to play more than one family?
How do I change active households?
Where do downloads from the Exchange go?
How do I place a lot/house?
Why can't I move my house to a smaller lot?
How do I change the look of items, wallpaper and flooring?
Can I age my sims backwards?
How can I get playable ghost sims? How can I get ghost babies?
How do I get married?
What determines who takes what last name when you get married?
How can I change my sim's name?
What determines a baby's gender before birth?
What determines multiple births?
Is it possible to have mixed gender births for twins and triplets?

Advanced: More specific questions.
What is a legacy?
What determines my sim's tombstone size at death?
What are the cheats and how can I use them?
What are the qualities of food/fruit/plants?
How do I give my sim more lifetime happiness points?
What is Mr. Mysterious Gnome and how can I get one?
What determines how a community lot is categorized?
How do I change a residential lot into a community lot or vice versa?
How do I make ambrosia?
How do I plant a money tree?
What are hidden traits and how do they work?
What are all the possible ways a sim can die?
What's up with the protests in front of City Hall? How can I organise a protest?
What's up with that well-dressed sim in facepaint and a tophat I see in the park? What is a Magician?
How do I move stacks of items (personal inventory)?
How do I change the default picture of my uploaded lot on the Exchange?
Can I edit a sim post-CAS?
My sim just died, where did their personal inventory go?

Traits: Information and common questions.
Base Descriptions of Traits
Farmed XML Data on Traits and How They Effect Your Sim
How do I steal things?
Why can't my sim "kick it up a notch" after they've cooked a meal? What does "kick it up a notch" do?
How do you donate to charity? Why can't my sim donate to charity? What does donating to charity do?
My gardening skill is maxed and I cannot revive death flower plants, why?
My sim wears formal clothing while exercising and goes to sleep in their swimsuits, is this a bug?
What does "Never Nude" do?
What are some good ways to raise the fun bar of a "Technophobe?"
Why is there a red circle with a line through it on some interactions?

Skills: Skill-based information.
Where can I attend skill-building classes?
All handy upgrades possible
Cooking recipes, ingredients and skill level needed
Base values for book royalties based on genre
Gardening Guide
What do certain plants look like when grown?
Where can I find Deathfish in Riverview?

Uploading to the Exchange
How do I upload a sim/household/lot?
How do I upload furniture/clothing onto the exchange?

TS3 Forum/Website: How to post images, set signatures, etc.
How do I post a picture?
How do I find my own posts?
How do I bookmark posts?
What are the forum rules?
How can I change the expression on my avatar?
How can I PM other users? How can I leave comments for other users?
Insufficient privileges?

Simple Game Troubleshooting: In-game issues, rolling back saves, mod issues, general advice to keep your gameplay smooth.
Aarin's General Guide to Troubleshooting
What are mods? What is CC?
What is a core mod?
How do I install custom music?
How do I install mods/patterns/lots?
I bought my sim a bicycle/car, why won't they use it?
Where are my screenshots located? I deleted screenshots from the launcher, did they delete off my computer as well?
Why can't I access my save game? There's no household preview and when I click it, nothing happens!
How do I roll back saves? (due to human error, crashes, poor judgement, error 12/13)
What's a good way of preventing the loss of my saved games?
The patterns I downloaded from the Exchange are blank!
Where did my family's inventory go?
Why can't I plant omni seeds anymore?
I can't woo-hoo!
Where did my sims go?
Why can't I rent out a community lot for a party?
Where did their gravestone go?
There's something stuck in my sim's hand!
I cannot access the cheat console!
I'm having issues with a mod!

Super Extras!: Things that are being organised or have no other place at this time.
Where is your hair from?
Where can I preview all female hairstyles available at the Store?

Comments

• aarinaarin Posts: 7,260 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Basics
    What is Riverview? Is it free? Where can I download it?
    - Riverview is a second town released for TS3. You may download it here. It is free to download. Directions on how to install Riverview can be found here.

Why can't I view my sim when they go into certain lots?
    - A feature of TS3 are "rabbit holes." Lots that rabbit hole are: masoleum/catacombs, diner/bistro, all work buildings, spa, theatre, grocery store, book store, city hall. You cannot see your sims when they are inside. Nothing is wrong with your game!

What is the mine? What is Stonehenge? What are the Catacombs?
    - These are flavour landmarks on your map. They serve no real purpose. Nor can you go and explore the mine. Sometimes rare butterflies or gems spawn at Stonehenge. Catacombs are located at the graveyard, available by clicking the mausoleum and selecting "explore catacombs." While inside, you will not see your sim as it functions like a rabbit hole. You will sometimes see headline effect prompts appear, telling you what your sim is doing. They may find interesting items during their exploration, like rare seeds, books, and Mysterious Gnomes.

How do I move out of a lot?
    - Have a sim use their cellphone or a computer and select the "move out" option. A window will pop up asking you how you want to divide your family. You will also receive the option to "kick out" the sim, which means they will be placed in a random lot unbeknowst to you. I suggest against kicking out sims unless you really don't care about them, like lousy ex-husbands.

You may also go into "edit town" mode and move the household that way.

Can I play more than one family?
    - Yes. You simply need to change active households (refer below).

How do I change active households?
    - Click on "..." located in the lower left-hand corner of your screen. Go to "edit town", then click the dual household icon nearby to switch households.

Where do downloads from the Exchange go?
    - Downloads from the Exchange should appear in your launcher. From there, you can install them into your game. INDIVIDUAL SIMS go into your premade sim bin in Create-a-Sim mode. Households of sims go into your household bin, and houses/lots go in your lot bin, both located in "Edit Town" mode.

How do I place a lot/house?
    - Click on "..." located in the lower left-hand corner of your screen. Go to "edit town". Choose the lot tab on the bin window, select the house you want to place. Then click the lot you want to place it. You can only place lots on spots that are categorized the same as the house you are placing (residental or community). The lot must also be big enough to accomidate the house. Keep in mind subtle differences in numbers like, for example, if your house is 40x30 and you are trying to put it in a 30x40 lot, you will not be able to turn it width-wise to face the street, so pay attention!

Why can't I move my house to a smaller lot?
    - Houses can be moved into bigger sized lots, but they cannot be moved back down to a smaller sized lot. Be sure to save your houses to the bin BEFORE you start placing them in larger lots! You will have to rebuild otherwise!

How do I change the look of items, wallpaper and flooring?
    - In BUY MODE, press R to bring up the paint brush and palette cursor then click whatever item you want to edit. It will bring up the Create-a-Style window. In BUILD MODE, you may also press the paint brush and palette icon near the content window and select your item from there.

Can I age my sims backwards?
    - You can give your sims more days to live by eating life fruit grown from a life bush. Eating a single life fruit will give your sim one extra day. You can also feed your sims ambrosia to bring their age stage bar back to start. You cannot age your sims backwards, for example, from adult back to young adult without a mod.

Life fruit have a chance to be grown from "unknown special seeds", you will need level 7 gardening to plant them. The seeds can be obtained by looking on the ground near the park, cemetery, science lab and other wooded areas. You also have a chance to get a seed by fishing up boxes and exploring the catacombs, though it is impractical.

Ambrosia is made from deathfish and life fruit. Deathfish can be fished out of the cemetery pond between the hours of 12AM and 4AM. You will need level 10 cooking to read the ambrosia recipe that can be bought at the bookstore. Simply cook the ambrosia and have your sim eat it.

How can I get playable ghost sims? How can I get ghost babies?
    - Death and Ghost Guide

How do I get married?
    - You must first "propose going steady". This can be accomplished by having a high relationship rating with the person, then spamming romantic interactions. Eventually the option should appear. "Confess attraction" will also help to get this option to appear as it will mark the intended sim as a "romantic interest". After that, repeat the romantic interactions and eventually "propose marriage" should appear. DO NOT BREAK THE CHAIN OF ROMANTIC INTERACTIONS. Due to the way socializing works in TS3, if you spam romantic interactions then do something silly like tell a joke, the person you are speaking to will no longer find you flirty/alluring, thereby wasting your time.

After you are engaged, you have the option to have a private wedding or a public wedding. A public wedding can be arranged by using your cellphone and selecting the "throw party at.." option. You rent out a venue, set the party type "wedding party", invite whomever you want. Once you are at the venue lot, you may need to butter up your future spouse by spamming romantic interactions until "get married" option appears. Your sims will exchange rings, your party guests will clap and boo.

For a private wedding, you can throw a party at your house, invite whomever you want, then spam romantic interactions until "get married" shows up. Your sims will exchange vows, and huzzah, you're married!

After your sims marry, a window will appear where you can choose who moves in with who.

What determines who takes what last name when you get married?
    - Whomever proposed will give their last name to their spouse.

How can I change my sim's name?
    - Go to City Hall during operational hours (usually 9AM-5PM, somewhere around there) and the option to change name should be available.

What determines a baby's gender before birth?
    - Apples and watermelons will influence the gender of your baby before birth. Eat apples during the pregnancy for boys. Eat watermelon during the pregnancy for girls. Keep in mind when making food that is made out of fruit (pancakes, waffles, autumn salad, etc), because these will also count towards the gender of your future child as well. If you are having difficulties forcing the gender of your children or feel that your game is bugged and only giving you the same of one gender, there are mods available elsewhere that remove the influence of food. Google it.

What determines multiple births?
    - Have your pregnant sim listen to kids music and watch kids television to increase chances of multiple birth. Also, buying one or both of your sims the "Fertility Treatment" lifetime reward (costs 10,000 points) will increase your chances as well. You may only have twins or triplets, though bugs have occurred where sims have given birth to more than triplets but this is a plight I would not wish on my worst enemy. :wink:

----

Advanced
    What is a legacy?
    - Legacy challenge is a player-made challenge where you attempt to get to ten generations without cheats. You start off very poor, must marry a townie, and pick an heir. You manually score yourself based on a point system. More can be found here. There are also different variations on Pinstar's original legacy challenge, you may find them here. There is also a scorecard for the original challenge available here.

What determines my sim's tombstone size at death?
    - Tombstone size is purely dependent on lifetime happiness points. The game counts both spent and unspent points towards your total. You cannot edit the tombstone after your sim has died. They get what they get when they die.
    NUMBERS AND TYPES OF TOMBSTONES:
    LESS THAN 75,000: small, flat, on the ground
    75,000-150,000: small, standing
    150,000+: large, standing

What is a death flower? How do I grow it? What does it do?
    - Death flowers can be kept in your sim's personal inventory (backpack tab or press I), after which if your sim gets into an accident and would have normally died, the reaper will spare them. The death flower will not spare your sims from death by old age.

You can grow death flowers when you reach level 7 gardening from "unknown special seeds". There also seems to be one death bush at the cemetery that will bloom a single flower, which can then either be planted or kept. A single death bush will always sprout a single death flower, so it seems silly to try and get more this way. Though a sim with the Green Thumb trait can revive the plant to force it to grow one more flower.

Death flowers have a chance to grow from "unknown special seeds" which can be found along the ground around the cemetery, science lab, park and other wooded areas. You also have a chance to get these seeds from fishing up boxes or exploring the catacombs, but it is just easier to collect the seed off the ground.

What are the cheats and how can I use them?
    - Find a complete list with descriptions here.

What are the qualities of food/fruit/plants?
    Horrifying -> Putrid -> Foul -> Bad -> Normal -> Nice -> Very Nice -> Great -> Excellent -> Outstanding -> Perfect

How do I give my sim more lifetime happiness points?
    - Open up the console by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+C, type testingcheatsenabled true then CTRL+click the area between the number amount and the treasure chest on the Lifetime Happiness tab. Each click grants 500 points.

What is Mr. Mysterious Gnome and how can I get one?
    - Mr. Mysterious Gnome is a special kind of object that should not be confused with the regular, boring gnome purchasable in buy mode. At night, we will often times move to different parts of your lot, striking stationary poses on objects, or turning on the stereo. When you click on him, you have the option to name him or kick him.

You have a chance to get Mr. Mysterious Gnome from the following sources:
    * criminal career field
    * fishing boxes
    * cutting/smelting gems/metal
    * exploring the catacombs

What determines how a community lot is categorized?
    <kNumArtObjectsToConstituteAnArtGallery value="16">
    <kNumGraveyardObjectsToConstituteAGraveyard value="4">
    <kNumMausoleumsToConstituteAGraveyard value="1">
    <kNumFishingSpotsToConstituteAFishingVenue value="1">
    <kNumBeachObjectsToConstituteABeach value="1">
    <kNumBookshelfsToConstituteALibrary value="12">
    <kNumGymObjectsToConstituteAGym value="4">
    <kNumParkObjectsToConstituteAPark value="3">
    <kNumPoolsToConstituteASwimmingPool value="1">

Community lots are categorized by items on them. These values do not stack, so if, for instance, you are creating a park and put 3 park items, but have somehow managed also to put 16 art objects, the art objects will override the park items and consider it an art gallery regardless of how many trees are there. More about this can be read here.

How do I change a residential lot into a community lot or vice versa?
    - Go to edit town mode, click the lot, then there is a button there to convert it back and forth.

How do I make ambrosia?
    - You will need level 7 gardening and level 10 cooking. The ingredients are life fruit and deathfish. Life fruit have a chance to be grown from "unknown special seeds". The seeds can be obtained by looking on the ground near the park, cemetery, science lab and other wooded areas. You also have a chance to get a seed by fishing up boxes and exploring the catacombs, though it is impractical.

Deathfish can be caught between the hours of 12AM and 4AM at the cemetery pond.

You will also need to have read the ambrosia recipe bought at the bookstore. With ingredients on hand, you can cook ambrosia and feed it to your sims to replenish their age bar or revive a ghost.

How do I plant a money tree?
    - Money trees have a chance to grow from "unknown special seeds". The seeds can be obtained by looking on the ground near the park, cemetery, science lab and other wooded areas. You also have a chance to get a seed by fishing up boxes and exploring the catacombs, though it is impractical. Money trees do not appear to die.

What are hidden traits and how do they work?
    - Hidden traits are unlocked by having offspring with certain "service" sims or sims of a certain career level. A complete list of hidden traits can be found here.

Pizza Appreciator: Pizza Delivery persons
    Pyromaniac, Immune to Fire: Firefighters
    Makes No Messes: Maid
    Rocker: Rockstar
    Can Apprehend Burglar: Police Officers
    Sneaking: Burglar
    Salute: Military

Hidden traits are.. well, hidden. You will usually know whether or not a child has inherited a trait by the time they are Young Adult.

What are all the possible ways a sim can die?
    - Old age. Electrocution. Starvation. Drowning. Fire.

What's up with the protests in front of City Hall? How can I organise a protest?
    - Protests are similar to the mine and stonehenge, in the fact that they simply add colour to your town. There is no way to force a protest, nor is there a way to have your sim set up one. They are a purely random occurrence. No code has been uncovered to explain the frequency or percentage chance of protests.

When a protest is occurring, you may join in by clicking the building where the protesters are and selecting "join protest."

What's up with that well-dressed sim in facepaint and a tophat I see in the park? What is a Magician?
    Magicians are nonplayable townies. Nonplayable in the way that they have no household in the town, so you will have to move them into your home in order to play them. Magicians appear at random in the park, usually drawing a small crowd of sims that are around. They perform magic tricks and sometimes poof away when you come near. It is possible to befriend/seduce them.

If you move them into your household, they will show up as unemployed and have no special abilities or traits. You cannot be a magician, sorry.

How do I move stacks of items (personal inventory)?
    - Click and drag from the tab I have specified below.
    multiple.gif

How do I change the default picture of my uploaded lot on the Exchange?
    - http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/40396.page#318684

Can I edit a sim post-CAS? Why isn't "edit in CAS" cheat working?
    - "Edit in CAS" is not a working cheat. It is not possible to edit a sim after they have been saved out of CAS without a core mod. Awesomemod will allow you to use the "editsim" command, but you will only be able to edit certain things within a certain threshold before it starts to bug up. For more information on that, please visit the core mod's website for documentation. (Google it.)

Alternately, you can bring your sim to a mirror or dresser, change appearance or plan outfit respectively, then click the little doodad button on their tiny portrait at the bottom of the screen and resave them to bin. The saved sim will end up in your premade sim bin in CAS. This will at least allow you to create a new character in CAS based on that character. You will obviously have to start that character over, but it is better than nothing.

My sim just died, where did their personal inventory go?
    - When sims die, their personal inventory (this includes lifetimehappiness rewards like the collection helper) will transfer either to their spouse's, eldest child's, or eldest housemate's personal inventory. Please pay attention to headline messages when sims die as it will usually tell you who inherited their possessions.

----

Traits
    Base Descriptions of Traits
    - http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Traits

Farmed XML Data on Traits and How They Effect Your Sim
    Lovingly stolen from Zucabr on MATY, since I cannot link there.
    AbsentMinded Sims:
        * Will pause and do a 'Think Hard' idle at random every 240 to 480 minutes
        * Have a 10% chance to pause and do a 'Think Hard' idle at random every 5 to 20 minutes while cooking
        * Have a 90% chance to pause and do a 'Think Hard' idle at random every 5 to 20 minutes while cleaning
        * Have a 50% chance to pause and do a 'Think Hard' idle at random every 5 to 20 minutes while eating

Ambitious Sims:
        * Get a bonus 2 performance per hour when working
        * Will get the Anxious To Advance debuff if they haven't gained any skill points or gotten a promotion for 4 days
        * Gain 15% more additional lifetime happiness when fulfilling promised dreams

Angler Sims:
        * Are not mentioned in S3_0333406C_00000000_C4E3FD010A0B7DB0_TraitTuning_0xc4e3fd010a0b7db0%%+UNKN

AntiTV or Technophobe Sims:
        * Have a 90% chance of successfully sabotaging the TV and breaking it

Artistic Sims:
        * Learn the Painting skill at a 25% faster rate
        * Learn the Guitar and Writing skills at a 10% faster rate
        * Learn the Xylophone hiddenskill at a 10% faster rate

Athletic Sims:
        * Learn the Athletic skill at 20% faster rate
        * Gain "fatigue points" from working out at a 20% slower rate

BookWorm Sims:
        * Complete their homework 27.8% faster
        * Have a 50% bonus chance of writing a hit or a best-seller book

Brave Sims:
        * Get a bonus 3 performance per hour in the Military and Law Enforcement careers
        * Need 50% less time to put out fires
        * Will put out fires for 20 minutes before running to put self out

Burglar Sims:
        * Are not mentioned in S3_0333406C_00000000_C4E3FD010A0B7DB0_TraitTuning_0xc4e3fd010a0b7db0%%+UNKN

CanApprehendBurglar Sims:

CanSalute Sims:

CantStandArt Sims:

Charismatic Sims:
        * Learn the Charisma skill at 25% faster rate
        * Gain 25% more LTR from conversation, either as a target or an initiating Sim
        * Lose LTR 25% slower

Childish Sims:
        * Are mentioned in S3_0333406C_00000000_C4E3FD010A0B7DB0_TraitTuning_0xc4e3fd010a0b7db0%%+UNKN

Clumsy Sims:
        * Gets a bonus 25% of burning themselves on the fireplace when doing 'Play With Fire'
        * Have a 4% chance to trip at the end of a route

CommitmentIssues Sims:
        * Require 90 LTR with a partner to Propose Marriage
        * Require 80 LTR with a partner to Get Married

ComputerWhiz Sims:
        * Gain 50% more fun from Playing Computer Games
        * Learn the Logic skill when Playing Chess on the computer at a 10% faster rate
        * Take 60% less time to repair computers
        * Take 25% less time to upgrade computers
        * Have a 2% chance to get caught every 30 minutes while hacking

CouchPotato Sims:
        * Gain twice as much mood value for the Comfy buff
        * Will not work out below 0 mood
        * Will prefer to sit on a couch up to 10 tiles away from a TV
        * Will attempt to sleep in for 2 hours after Well-Rested buff is acquired

Coward Sims:
        * Get the Scared of the Dark debuff when outside between 21:00 and 05:00
        * Have a 100% chance of fainting when seeing a Ghost
        * Have a 100% chance of fainting when seeing a Burglar
        * Have a 20% chance of fainting when seeing a fire
        * Have a 100% chance of running away when seeing a Repo(wo)man

Daredevil Sims:
        * Need 34% less time to put out fires
        * Receive a +50 mood value when getting the On Fire buff
        * May have fire death immunity:

Code:
        <kDaredevilOnFireTimeout value="180">
          <!--Range: +floats  Description:  Sim minutes OnFireBuff should last for a daredevil sim. They never die from timeout, the buff just goes away.-->
        </kDaredevilOnFireTimeout>

DislikesChildren Sims:
        * Will display child-hating idles if a child is up to 7 tiles away on the world lot
        * Will autonomously shoo a child at a maximum of 7 tiles away

EasilyImpressed Sims:

Evil Sims:
        * React to bad events and gain the Fiendishly Delighted buff at a distance of up to 10 tiles
        * Get a bonus 3 performance per hour in the Criminal career
        * Get a 50 point fun gain when watching non-family/loved-one Sims die

Excitable Sims:
        * Have a 25% chance of gaining the Excited buff when routing towards another Sim in the Romantic of Friendly LTR state

FamilyOriented Sims:
        * Teach toddlers to Use The Potty, Talk, and Walk 50% faster

Flirty Sims:
        * Have a 50% increased chance to meet someone when getting drinks alone

Friendly Sims:
        * Have a 50% increased chance to meet someone when getting drinks alone

Frugal Sims:
        * Will disapprove of a newly bought object worth more than 250

Genius Sims:
        * Autonomously contemplate objects at a range of up to 3 tiles around them for 8 minutes to get the Fascinated buff
        * Learn the Logic skill, Chess hiddenskill, Hacking hiddenskill, and Mooch hiddenskill at a 30% faster rate
        * Have a 60% chance of solving an unsolved problem

Good Sims:

GoodSenseOfHumor Sims:
        * Gain 50% more LTR when telling or being told a joke

GreatKisser Sims:

GreenThumb Sims:
        * Learn the Gardening skill at a 25% faster rate

Grumpy Sims:

Handy Sims:
        * Learn the Handiness skill at a 25% faster rate

HatesOutdoors or HatesTheOutdoors Sims:
        * Will autonomously use items placed Outside 10% less

HeavySleeper Sims:
        * Snore randomly between every 2 to 4 minutes as opposed to a normal Sim's 3 to 6 minutes

HopelessRomantic Sims:

HotHeaded Sims:
        * Have a 10% chance of reacting after route failure
        * Are affected by Angry debuffs 50% more

Hydrophobic Sims:

Inappropriate Sims:
        * Will have a host react to an inappropriate action for up to 7 tiles away

ImmuneToFire Sims:
        * Need 90% less time to put out fires
        * Have a 50% chance of passing on the Pyromaniac trait instead of ImmuneToFire

Insane Sims:
        * Will randomly consider and test tree 5 interactions before going to a fallback plan of choosing a random commodity to find the best action of

Kleptomaniac Sims:
        * Have a 20% chance of stealing a random object from work
        * Can steal an object with a maximum value of (CareerLevel * 350)
        * Can steal an object with a maximum value of 500 from school
        * Can steal objects in between 19:00 and 06:00
        * Will consider swiping any object up to 6 tiles away
        * Have a 20% chance of stealing a bowl or plate from the Restaurant rabbit hole
        * Can steal 3 objects per day
        * Lose 30 LTR if caught stealing

Items that Kleptomaniac Sims swipe:
        * On a community or NPC lot will get reset at 04:00
        * Will attempt to be replaced by the object refresh alarm for 14 days

LightSleeper Sims:
        * May have been called the Insomniac trait at one point
        * Can only sleep a maximum of 24 hours at a time
        * Snore randomly between every 15 to 30 minutes as opposed to a normal Sim's 3 to 6 minutes

Loner Sims:
        * Are 20% more likely to use objects in the same room as their bed, if they own one
        * Are 5% less likely, per Sim in the same room, to use any object, at a maximum of 20% penalty

Loser Sims:
        * Have a 50% chance of getting a career event which just displays a TNS that mocks the sim instead of a proper event

LovesTheOutdoors Sims:
        * Will use objects that are outside 20% more

Lucky Sims:
        * That have the Feeling Lucky buff has a 0% chance of:
              o Having a burglar come to their house
              o Suffering a random failure while cooking and burning food
              o Having an appliance catch on fire when they've burned food
              o Having a birthday cake catch on fire when blowing the candles out
              o Spreading the fire when the Sim has caught on fire
              o Catching on fire when standing on a fire tile
              o Failing an upgrade
              o Having a bad failure (being shocked) when failing an upgrade
              o Breaking an object while using it
              o Getting electrocuted while repairing an object
        * That have the Feeling Lucky buff have a tenfold chance to 'win' a career event or opportunity that has a 'win' and 'lose' condition
        * That have the Feeling Lucky buff has twice the chance of getting a raise at work

MakesNoMesses Sims:

MeanSpirited Sims:
        * Gain 5 mood per enemy
        * Gain a mood bonus of 10 when they have the Enemy Buff

Mooch Sims:
        * Have an 80% chance of successfully mooching a small amount of money and gaining 45 Mooch hiddenskill points
        * Have an 50% chance of successfully mooching a small amount of money and gaining 90 Mooch hiddenskill points
        * Have a 25% chance of doubling the amount of a successful mooch
        * Have a 10% chance of quadrupling the amount of a successful mooch (takes precedence over doubling)
        * As Children can only gain up to 4 Mooch hiddenskill
        * As Teens can only gain up to 6 Mooch hiddenskill

NaturalCook Sims:
        * Learn the Cooking skill at a 30% faster rate
        * Learns a recipe after eating it, assuming 100% chance at a level 0 recipe and subtracting 50% for each level thereafter
        * Can 'Kick Up a Notch' on food at Cooking skill 4
        * Has a 20% chance of automagically playing the 'Kick Up a Notch' animation after automatically preparing food
        * Give a 15 point bonus food points to foods if they have used the 'Kick Up a Notch' interaction on it
        * Have an 8% chance of learning a recipe after eating at a restaurant

Neat Sims:
        * Have a Fun motive delta of 30 when cleaning

Neurotic Sims:
        * Have a 10% chance of playing a spaz reaction after a variety of situations (burn food, get debuff, route blocked)
        * Play the Freak Out reaction for 7 minutes
        * Have a 10% chance of getting an Anxiety buff an hour after using a fireplace, sink, or stove

NeverNude Sims:

NoSenseOfHumor Sims:
        * Are 50% less effective at trying to increase 'impressive' social context

OverEmotional Sims:
        * Are affected by mood buffs/debuffs 25% more

PartyAnimal Sims:
        * Have a 25% bonus chance that guests attending a party thrown by them will bring food
        * Will gain the Life of the Party buff after successfully 'Woo!'ing 3 unique party guests at the same party

Perfectionist Sims:
        * Give foods they cook 15 bonus food points
        * Have a 15% bonus chance of writing a hit or a best-seller book
        * Complete their homework 15% slower
        * Take longer to prepare food and use an additional loop of chopping animation on the cutting board
        * Have a 20% bonus chance of painting a brilliant painting
        * Have a 15% bonus chance of painting a masterpiece
        * Paint for 15 minutes longer for each stage of a painting
        * Get a 20% decrease in pages per minute when writing

PizzaAppreciator Sims:

Pyromaniac Sims:
        * Gain 50 energy from eating a flame fruit
        * Gain 50 fun from eating a flame fruit
        * Have a 50% chance of transmogrifying a fruit into a flame fruit
        * Consider burning objects up to 10 tiles away
        * Gain twice as much mood for the Cozy Fire buff

Rocker Sims:

Schmoozer Sims:
        * Gain 50% more LTR when engaging in a positive social with a Co-worker or Boss
        * Gain 150% more LTR when engaging in social career tones (**** Up to Boss, Hang With Co-Workers)
        * Gain 2 performance per hour while at school

Slob Sims:
        * Have a 75% chance to add a puddle after bathing or showering
        * Have a 10% chance of throwing up after licking spoiled food from a container

Snob Sims:
        * Will play a snobby reaction to an object worth less than 800
        * Are affected by environment scores (both positive and negative) at 200%
        * Are affected by the New Stuff buff at a mood value of 30
        * Are affected by the environment score of mirrors 10 points more

Unflirty Sims:

Unlucky Sims:
        * That have the 'Feeling Unlucky' buff are:
              o Twice as likely to have a burglar come to their house
              o Twice as likely to suffer a random failure while cooking and burn food
              o Twice as likely to have an appliance catch on fire when they burn food
              o Thrice as likely to have their birthday cake catch on fire
              o Twice as likely to spread the fire when they have caught on fire
              o 1.4 times as likely to fail an upgrade
              o Twice as likely to be shocked when failing an upgrade
              o Twice as likely to break an object while using it
              o Twice as likely to get electrocuted while repairing an object
              o 80% less likely to 'win' a career event or opportunity that has a 'win' and 'lose' condition
              o Half as likely to get a raise at work
              o Only given 20 mintes on the On Fire debuff before burning to death

Vegetarian Sims:
        * Have a 100% chance of receiving the Nauseous debuff after eating meat

Virtuoso Sims:
        * Learn the Guitar skill at a 25% faster rate
        * Earn 35% more cash and money when playing the Guitar
        * Learn the Xylophone hiddenskill at a 25% faster rate

Workaholic Sims:
        * Gain 20 fun per hour for working / copying / helping / being helped on homework
        * Complete homework 27.8% faster
        * Cause 6s/12s to complete homework 27.8% faster when tutoring them

How do I steal things? Where can I find stolen goods? How do I return stolen goods?
    - You may only steal things if you have the "kleptomaniac" trait. You may also only steal things when it is nighttime and there is no one around.

To steal something, click the ground normally, as if you were going to walk somewhere. The option to "swipe something" will appear. The items you steal are randomly chosen based on a number of tiles around the area you selected. After you have stolen something, it will appear in your sim's Family Inventory in buy mode.

If you want to steal something from inside a fellow sim's house, you must first be invited inside.

To return an item, simply go to your mailbox and the option to "Return Stolen Item" should be selectable, then just pick the item from the list. You will receive a positive moodlet called "Returned Stolen Property" that increases your mood by +15 for 8 hours.

Other sims will not recognise items you have stolen. You may only steal three items per day, the reset timer is at midnight.

Why can't my sim "kick it up a notch" after they've cooked a meal? What does "kick it up a notch" do?
    - Your sim will need to have the "Natural Cook" trait and a level skill of 4 in cooking in order to kick it up a notch. It improves the quality of food cooked by one "notch". Refer to the qualities listing for names. Sometimes sims will autonomously "kick it up a notch", so if the option is not there, but you have the trait and the cooking skill, you may have missed your sim doing it without you asking them to.

How do you donate to charity? Why can't my sim donate to charity? What does donating to charity do?
    - Sims that are good or evil traited may donate to charity. You may donate to charity once a day (resets at midnight), in money increments of 100, 250 and 1000.

You will receive moodlets after donating to charity, "Charitable"/"Fiendishly Delighted" which increases their mood by +30/15/10 depending on how much you have donated.

My gardening skill is maxed and I cannot revive death flower plants, why?
    - Deathflower bushes may only be revived once and your sim will need the "Green Thumb" trait to do so. Otherwise, these bushes will only yield one flower before they perish.

My sim wears formal clothing while exercising and goes to sleep in their swimsuits, is this a bug?
    - Your sim likely has the insane or inappropriate trait. It's perfectly normal.

What does "Never Nude" do?
    - Sims will wear their underwear in the shower. They never appear nude. That's all.

What are some good ways to raise the fun bar of a "Technophobe?"
    - Guitar, books, chess, telescope, swing sets (if childish), sprinklers.

Why is there a red circle with a line through it on some interactions?
    - When you see this on an interaction, it is because it goes against a certain trait your sim has. They would never perform this action autonomously, as well.

Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited July 2009
    Skills
    Where can I attend skill-building classes?
    Athletics: Stadium
    Handiness: Military Base
    Guitar: Theatre
    Cooking: Bistro/Diner
    Painting: School
    Charisma: City Hall
    Gardening: Science Lab
    Logic: Science Lab
    Writing: Doo Peas Tower
    Fishing: Grocery Store

All handy upgrades possible: Numbers denote level needed.
    SHOWER TUB TOILET SINK - self-cleaning (3), unbreakable (6)
    DISHWASHER - unbreakable (6), silent running (3) *only cheapest dishwasher
    STOVE - self-cleaning (3), fireproof (4), improved meal quality (7)
    DOORBELL - change doorbell (3)
    FIREPLACE - fireproof (6), auto light (7), change fire colour (9)
    TV - unbreakable (6), boost channels (7)
    COMPUTER - unbreakable (6), improved graphics (8)
    STEREO - improved speakers (3), unbreakable (6), wire house with speakers (8)
    MICROWAVE - faster cooking (7)
    TRASH COMPACTOR - unbreakable (6), improved crushing (6)
    SPRINKLER - auto water (4)
    TELEPORTATION PAD - unbreakable (6), perfect teleportation (7)
    FOOD REPLICATOR - improved memory (9)

Cooking recipes, ingredients and skill level needed:
    - http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Cooking_(The_Sims_3)

Base values for book royalties based on genre:
    This includes base royalties, multipliers and other things as well.
    kRoyaltyFictionMin value="25" - Min Royalty of a Fiction novel
    kRoyaltyFictionMax value="35" - Max Royalty of a Fiction novel
    kRoyaltyNonFictionMin value="25" - Min Royalty of a Non-Fiction novel
    kRoyaltyNonFictionMax value="35" - Max Royalty of a Non-Fiction novel
    kRoyaltyTrashyMin value="73" - Min Royalty of a Trashy novel
    kRoyaltyTrashyMax value="85" - Max Royalty of a Trashy novel
    kRoyaltyDramaMin value="160" - Min Royalty of a Drama novel
    kRoyaltyDramaMax value="183" - Max Royalty of a Drama novel
    kRoyaltySciFiMin value="60" - Min Royalty of a SciFi novel
    kRoyaltySciFiMax value="70" - Max Royalty of a SciFi novel
    kRoyaltyFantasyMin value="300" - Min Royalty of a Fantasy novel
    kRoyaltyFantasyMax value="360" - Max Royalty of a Fantasy novel
    kRoyaltyHumorMin value="185" - Min Royalty of a Humor novel
    kRoyaltyHumorMax value="255" - Max Royalty of a Humor novel
    kRoyaltySatireMin value="350" - Min Royalty of a Satire novel
    kRoyaltySatireMax value="410" - Max Royalty of a Satire novel
    kRoyaltyMysteryMin value="325" - Min Royalty of a Mystery novel
    kRoyaltyMysteryMax value="340" - Max Royalty of a Mystery novel
    kRoyaltyRomanceMin value="600" - Min Royalty of a Romance novel
    kRoyaltyRomanceMax value="890" - Max Royalty of a Romance novel
    kRoyaltyHistoricalMin value="290" - Min Royalty of a Historical novel
    kRoyaltyHistoricalMax value="360" - Max Royalty of a Historical novel
    kRoyaltyChildrensMin value="75" - Min Royalty of a Children's book
    kRoyaltyChildrensMax value="105" - Max Royalty of a Children's book
    kRoyaltyVaudevilleMin value="1450" - Min Royalty of a Vaudeville
    kRoyaltyVaudevilleMax value="1770" - Max Royalty of a Vaudeville
    kRoyaltyBiographyMin value="150" - Min Royalty of a Biography
    kRoyaltyBiographyMax value="175" - Max Royalty of a Biography
    kRoyaltyArticleMin value="35" - Min Royalty of an Article
    kRoyaltyArticleMax value="52" - Max Royalty of an Article
    kRoyaltyAutobiographyMin value="150" - Min Royalty of a an Autobiography
    kRoyaltyAutobiographyMax value="175" - Max Royalty of an Autobiography
    kRoyaltyMasterpieceMin value="2750" - Min Royalty of a Masterpiece
    kRoyaltyMasterpieceMax value="3100" - Max Royalty of a Masterpiece
    kRoyaltyPoliticalMemoirMin value="300" - Min Royalty of a Political Memoir
    kRoyaltyPoliticalMemoirMax value="500" - Max Royalty of a Political Memoir
    kRoyaltyLifeStoryMin value="300" - Min Royalty of a Life Story
    kRoyaltyLifeStoryMax value="500" - Max Royalty of a Life Story

kRoyaltyMaxWritingSkillMultiplier value="4" - This number is multiplied to your base value when at max writing skill, half when halfway through the skill, etc
    kRoayltyMultiplierChangePerHiddenSkillPoint value=".1" - Hidden skill multiplier change per book written in a genre
    kRoyaltyMaxPercentHiddenSkill value="2" - The max value of the hidden skill multiplier
    kRoyaltyTraitMultiplier value="0.25" - The multiplier used when a Sim has a certain trait/genre combo.  They may have more than one of these

kRoyaltyQualityMultiplierFlop value=".35" - The final multiplier used if the writing is a flop.  A value < 1 will reduce the overall value
    kRoyaltyQualityMultiplierHit value="1.25" - The final multiplier used if the writing is a hit
    kRoyaltyQualityMultiplierBestSeller value="1.6" - The final multiplier used if the writing is a best seller

kRoyaltyLength value="12" - Number of times royalties are paid
    kRoyaltyPayHour value="12" - The hour that the royalty alarm will trigger

kRoyaltyRating1 value="100" - A genre with an average royalty of X or less will have a Royalty Rating of 1
    kRoyaltyRating2 value="250" - A genre with an average royalty of X or less will have a Royalty Rating of 2
    kRoyaltyRating3 value="500" - A genre with an average royalty of X or less will have a Royalty Rating of 3
    kRoyaltyRating4 value="1999" - A genre with an average royalty of X or less will have a Royalty Rating of 4

/* Value */

kValueFictionMin value="20" - Min Value of a Fiction novel
    kValueFictionMax value="35" - Max Value of a Fiction novel
    kValueNonFictionMin value="20" - Min Value of a Non-Fiction novel
    kValueNonFictionMax value="35" - Max Value of a Non-Fiction novel
    kValueTrashyMin value="15" - Min Value of a Trashy novel
    kValueTrashyMax value="35" - Max Value of a Trashy novel
    kValueDramaMin value="30" - Min Value of a Drama novel
    kValueDramaMax value="40" - Max Value of a Drama novel
    kValueSciFiMin value="30" - Min Value of a SciFi novel
    kValueSciFiMax value="40" - Max Value of a SciFi novel
    kValueFantasyMin value="30" - Min Value of a Fantasy novel
    kValueFantasyMax value="40" - Max Value of a Fantasy novel
    kValueHumorMin value="40" - Min Value of a Humor novel
    kValueHumorMax value="50" - Max Value of a Humor novel
    kValueSatireMin value="40" - Min Value of a Satire novel
    kValueSatireMax value="50" - Max Value of a Satire novel
    kValueMysteryMin value="75" - Min Value of a Mystery novel
    kValueMysteryMax value="100" - Max Value of a Mystery novel
    kValueRomanceMin value="75" - Min Value of a Romance novel
    kValueRomanceMax value="100" - Max Value of a Romance novel
    kValueHistoricalMin value="65" - Min Value of a Historical novel
    kValueHistoricalMax value="85" - Max Value of a Historical novel
    kValueChildrensMin value="15" - Min Value of a Children's book
    kValueChildrensMax value="35" - Max Value of a Children's book
    kValueVaudevilleMin value="75" - Min Value of a Vaudeville
    kValueVaudevilleMax value="100" - Max Value of a Vaudeville
    kValueBiographyMin value="50" - Min Value of a Biography
    kValueBiographyMax value="75" - Max Value of a Biography
    kValueArticleMin value="5" - Min Value of an Article
    kValueArticleMax value="10" - Max Value of an Article
    kValueAutobiographyMin value="50" - Min Value of a an Autobiography
    kValueAutobiographyMax value="75" - Max Value of an Autobiography
    kValueMasterpieceMin value="500" - Min Value of a Masterpiece
    kValueMasterpieceMax value="750" - Max Value of a Masterpiece
    kValuePoliticalMemoirMin value="300" - Min Value of a Political Memoir
    kValuePoliticalMemoirMax value="500" - Max Value of a Political Memoir
    kValueLifeStoryMin value="300" - Min Value of a Life Story
    kValueLifeStoryMax value="500" - Max Value of a Life Story

kValueQualityMultiplierFlop value="0.5" - The final multiplier used if the writing is a flop.  A value < 1 will reduce the overall value
    kValueQualityMultiplierHit value="1.25" - The final multiplier used if the writing is a hit
    kValueQualityMultiplierBestSeller value="1.6" - The final multiplier used if the writing is a best seller

Gardening guide:
    -- http://asilee.com/2009/06/24/the-sims-3-type-of-plants-where-you-can-get-them-value-tips-tricks/

What do certain plants look like when grown?
    - If you are planning a garden and want to know exactly what plants look like when grown, follow the list below. There are three types: trees, staked (standing), and ground (bush-like). Often times I would find myself planting things and growing disgruntled because there was a bush-type plant among the staked plants.
    Apples: tree
    Grapes: ground
    Lettuce: ground
    Tomato: staked
    Lime: tree
    Onion: staked
    Potato: ground
    Watermelon: ground
    Bell Pepper: staked
    Garlic: ground
    Life Plant: staked
    Death Flower: staked
    Flame Fruit: ground
    Money Tree: tree
    Cheese plant: staked
    Eggplant: staked
    Burger Patty Plant: staked
    Steak Plant: staked
    Omni: staked

Where can I find Deathfish in Riverview?
    - Behind the cemetery, right where the no-fishing sign is. If that is too difficult for you to comprehend, behold the glory of this image.
    2mpagd4.jpg

----

Uploading to the Exchange
    How do I upload a sim/household/lot?
    Uploading a sim (for avatar use, etc):
    From Create-a-Sim (CAS) mode, simply click the small button on their tiny portrait at the bottom of your screen then click the share button that looks like an arrowy cursor. You will be prompted to enter a name and description. Clicking save will send the file to your launcher where you must then upload it from there.

From an active household: Bring your sim to a mirror/dresser then select change appearance/plan outfit. This will open up CAS-like mode, where you repeat the steps listed above.

Uploading a household/lot: From the "edit town" screen, select the household/family/lot you want to upload , either in the bin or already living on a lot. When you click, an information window will open, the share button is located there. Name and describe your upload, it will save to the launcher. Open the launcher and upload from there.

How do I upload furniture/clothing onto the exchange?
    Uploading clothing:
    Bring your sim to a dresser and select plan outfit. You can also do this straight from CAS mode. Double click the item of clothing you want to upload until the Create-a-Style mode appears. On the upper righthand side of your screen is a listing of saved versions of the item. Save the clothing you have on, then select the share button next to it. Name and describe your upload, it will save to the launcher. Open the launcher and upload from there.

Uploading furniture:
    In buy or build mode, press R or click the palette and paint brush, then click the item you want to upload. On the upper righthand side of your screen is a listing of saved versions of the item. Save the item, then select the share button next to it. Name and describe your upload, it will save to the launcher. Open the launcher and upload from there.

----

TS3 Forum/Website
    How do I post a picture?
    - Resize your image to 640 pixels wide or less. It will distort the TS3 forums if it is any bigger, and anger the people you would otherwise be sharing with. Please be considerate and resize all images! Upload your image at a free hosting website like tinypic, imageshack or photobucket. Take the URL and come back to the forums. Then put the URL in between img tags like so:
    [img]URLHERE[/img]

How do I set my signature?
    - Click "My Preferences" at the top of this page. There is a box there for your signature on that page. Simply use what you learned above if you want to have an image for a signature.

How do I find my own posts?
    - Click or hover over "my preferences" link. At the end of the url there are numbers then ".page". Take those numbers and replace the X's with them, then voila!
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/listByUser/XXXX.page

How do I bookmark posts?
    - At the bottom of every thread is a little button with a heart next to it that says, "Bookmark it!" Due to the fast-paced nature of the TS3 forums, I suggest bookmarking threads you intend to come back to! You can reach your bookmarks by clicking the link "My Bookmarks" which is located next to "My Preferences."

What are the forum rules? Note that these rules are in ADDITION TO the standard EA ToS. You can read the forum rules post here too.
    Illegal Activities:
    - The discussion of illegal activities is not permitted. This includes software piracy, game "cracks," among other things.

- Do not ask for or give out serial numbers. If you have lost your serial number or need a new one, please contact http://techsupport.ea.com

- Do not share accounts. Accounts created with stolen or shared serial numbers will be banned.

- Do not post copyrighted material. This includes text from game guides.

- Do not request or post links to pirated content. This includes items from The Sims 2 Store and The Sims 3 Store

- Do not link to, request, or discuss content that may raise the game rating to an "M". This includes linking to teen pregnancy hacks, nude hacks, etc.

Behavior:
    - No Swearing. Foul language will not be tolerated. Swearing via substitution of key letters with symbols is against the rules. (Example: If "horse" were a swear word and it was posted as "h****")

- No Flaming. No Trolling. Flaming is intentionally posting hurtful, insulting, or harassing messages to others. Trolling is deliberately posting sarcastic, off topic, or rude remarks in order to incite a fight on the boards. Take the high road and be polite. Respect others even if their opinions differ from yours. If you disagree with someone, you are free to do so politely, but please don't make it personal.

- No Spamming or Flooding. Flooding or spamming means posting disruptive numbers of messages, including posting the same message in multiple forums.

- Keep your posts and the Exchange clean. Do not post anything referencing adult materials, this includes linking to adult themed patches and downloads for the Sims. Content on this site must be T for Teen rated.

- Please do not post personal information (i.e. your age, contact info, pictures, etc.). We have many community members who are underage and we need to do our best to protect them.

- Do not impersonate anyone else on the BBS. This includes moderators, EA employees, other members, celebrities, or anyone else. This includes using a screen name that uses the words "SimGuru" or "Moderator".

Guidelines for Courteous Posting:

- Keep your posts relevant to the section they are in. For example, posts in the Technical Help section should relate to gameplay and technical issues. Posts not relating to the section they are posted in may be deleted.

- Do not post entire messages in ALL CAPS or post multiples of words in extra-large font. This is considered shouting. Shouting is not polite. Find a less "noisy" way to emphasize your ideas.

- Do not post messages with a number of repeated symbols, multiple exclamation marks or multiple question marks. (For example: ~ ~, **, !!!, ???) Do not post blank or "no text" messages.

- Do not include religious, political or blatantly controversial content in your signature. This is not the place to debate politics or religion. Signatures that include references to these topics are considered inappropriate, just as it would in a post. Linking to pirated content and harmful content, such as trojan horses or adult-themed content is also inappropriate.

- Confine your signature to three lines or less. Keep the content of your post easy on the eyes and focused. Having a lengthy signature distracts and clutters the board.

- Do not create multiple threads for one topic or post your thread in every category.This includes spamming advertisements of your website. Simply choose the one most fitting for your post. Try to include all your points in a single thread. You may post a link to your website once or twice, but not repeatedly. You can also advertise your website in your signature or My Page.

- Make your subject titles as direct and descriptive as possible. Simply writing, "Help" is not informative. A better subject might be, "I Need Help with The Sims 3 Create A Movie."

- Do not post threads with misleading thread titles. (For example: Subject Thread Title: "Look what I discovered!" -- Actual Subject Text: "Where can I find cheats?")

- Do not hijack threads. Hijacking means to redirect the topic of a thread. Keep your replies relevant to the original poster's thread.

- Keep your posts on topic with The Sims 3 game and The Sims 3 website. You’re more than welcome to use your My Page blog for off topic posts.

- Use the search feature as much as possible. You may find that your question may have already been answered.

How can I change the expression on my avatar?
    - When "sharing" your individual sim from CAS or the mirror/dresser, open up your TS3 launcher. When you share your sim, you will be able to preview their expression in the launcher. Keep on "sharing" your sim into the launcher until you get an expression you like, upload that sim and delete the multiples. This is the only way you can choose your sim's expression.

Your sim's expression is not based on anything to do with their mood or what you are doing when you bring them to CAS. Simply, there is a potential pool of expressions every sim has, in addition to certain trait-influenced expressions. Don't believe the hype.

How can I PM other users? How can I leave comments for other users?
    - No, you cannot PM other users nor can you leave comments. These features are not available on the TS3 website, nor do I know why, nor can I do anything about it. If you are distressed to hear this news, go over to the Ideas and Feedback forum and let them know there.

Insufficient privileges?
    - This occurs every now and again with threads that are perfectly fine. Simply refresh the page, it should show up. If it does not show up after multiple refreshes, the thread has been closed. Please do not post a new thread asking where the thread went, because chances are, it was taken down for violating a forum rule(s).

----

Simple Game Troubleshooting
    Anything that is not listed here should be first posted in the technical or bug discussion forums. I am not tech support, nor can I improve the coding of the Sims based on the things you tell me. Tech questions and issues will not be answered nor read by anyone who can do anything about it in General Discussion. Please remember this! Thanks~! 8)

Aarin's general guide to troubleshooting..
    - Answer these questions (in your head):
    /// Is my video card driver up to date?
    +++ Update your video card driver!!
    /// Is my computer good enough to run TS3? Am I brinking on minimal specs?
    +++ If you are running TS3 on the lower spectrum of recommended specs, you may experience graphic issues, lag, or other poor performance. Turn down your video settings, run in windowed mode.
    /// Have I updated my mods?
    +++ A lot of mods, like core mods, push out regular updates that solve crashing to desktop, freezing, and lag that was caused by the mod itself. Please update your mods regularly.
    /// Is my computer overheating?
    +++ Laptops are more prone to overheating due to their compactness. Do not put your laptop on your lap. Put it on a desk in a well ventilated area. Do not block the vent. Buy a cheap dinky exterior fan from your local drug store if you must. All computers have a threshold set in their BIOS where they will shut down automatically when they hit a certain temperature, to prevent damage to the hardware. This will cause your computer or game to shut down after some time. You can set the threshold higher for temperature-to-shutdown, but I do not advise it nor will I provide you with instructions.
    /// Is my video card attempting to override the graphics settings of TS3?
    +++ If you are experiencing pixelated hair or other things with your video settings on high, chances are your video card is trying to override in-game settings. Go to your video card's control panel to give full permission to the application. If your video card does not have a control panel then chances are this is not your issue.
    /// Is my game patched?
    +++ For the love of all that is delicious, please patch your business. The patch can be found here, along with patch notes.
    /// Did I do something differently between now and back when my game worked?
    +++ Take into account software you might have installed or uninstalled, things you may have done to your computer to muck it up. Sometimes the issue is not with TS3 and is instead a computer or software issue outside of the game.
    /// Am I possibly missing something utterly simple that I had underestimated?
    +++ Sometimes the correct answer is always the simplest. Computer technicians are taught to troubleshoot from the start and work upwards. Start with the most very basic things then work your way up to more complicated solutions.

What are mods? What is CC?
    - Mods are typically any file that modifies your game to behave in a manner that is different than the base game. This can be something as trivial as preventing autonomous actions by your sims, or something more complex like lengthening the default time frame of pregnancies. CC is anything created by a user that adds something to your game, like clothing, furniture, and patterns.

What is a core mod?
    - A core mod fixes a lot of the internal issues with TS3, like story progression. Core mods access the main game file, which is why you can only use one core mod at a time. These mods are technically harmless to your game as they do not overwrite any game files and can easily be uninstalled by deleting their .package file. However, I cannot vouch for any ill effects you may experience using any mods that are incomplete or still in testing. Nor can I honestly troubleshoot if something goes wrong with your game. Given the additional nature of these mods, I prefer not to speak at length about them though there are numerous threads specifically on the topic.

Why can't I access my save game? There's no household preview and when I click it, nothing happens!
    - Chances are your save file became corrupted, either due to a crash or some other circumstance. Please follow the directions below to roll back your save.

How do I roll back saves? (due to human error, crashes, poor judgement, error 12/13)
    - Rolling back saves is a great way to salvage a game you lost to a crash or poor judgement. It only works if you have saved only once since the mistake occurred due to the nature of how save files work.
    Go to your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves folder.
    Find the name of your save.
    Find the name of your save with .backup at the end of it.
    Copy your first save game to the desktop, just in case.
    Delete the original version of your save file from the Saves folder.
    Rename the .backup version of your save file, taking out the ".backup" from its filename.
    Load up TS3, load up your new save file.

Your save file may be dated depending on your save habits, but at least you have something!

I bought my sim a bicycle/car, why won't they use it?
    - Sims are dumb. They like taking the carpool, even if the expensive car they bought is faster. To give them a nudge in the right direction, place cars and bicycles on lots as you normally would. Then in live mode (F1), click and drag the car/bike into your sim's personal inventory and delete the bike rack/parking space in build or buy mode. This will cause them to be more likely to use it.

I have also found that loner sims are more likely to use the transportation available in their personal inventory, to get away from the crowds of carpools and buses.

How do I install custom music?
    - Copy and paste the music you want into Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Custom Music. You do not need to install it again in the Program Files version of the directory.

How do I install mods/patterns/lots?
    - There are two types of files you may deal with. .Sims3Pack files and regular .package files. Regular .package files tend to be mods or certain patterns. .Sims3Pack files tend to be lots, sims, and also patterns.

TO INSTALL .SIMS3PACK FILES: Right click the file and make sure the default programme to open it is set to the Sims 3 Launcher. This way you can simply click the file and it will open up in the launcher and install. Alternately, you can place this file in your Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Downloads folder, then find it in your launcher and install that way. This method I just described is best suited for lots of files that need to be installed at once.

TO INSTALL .PACKAGE FILES: This is slightly trickier. You will need a resource.cfg file that enables your game to recognise/use the mods you're about to install, and you will only need to install this once. You can get this file from any reputatable mod site. This file goes in your Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 folder. NOT YOUR DOCUMENTS FOLDER! After you have installed the resource.cfg file, create a new folder named Mods. This should also be placed in your Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 folder. Some people enjoy an extra level of organisation to their mods, so most people put .package files in a yet a second folder named Packages. After all the folder creating is done, simply take whatever .package file you have and shove it in Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages. Taa-daa, you're all set.

Alternately, there is an installer helper over at modthesims you can use. (google it.) They also have a version for Macs. The installer will install the resource.cfg file for you, and make it easier to install .package files. Please read all their instructions before installing their programmes. I will not troubleshoot them.

Where are my screenshots located? I deleted screenshots from the launcher, did they delete off my computer as well?
    - Screenshots can be found in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Screenshots, uploaded screenshots move to a different folder, Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Screenshots\Converted

If you delete a screenshot in your launcher, it also deletes the screenshot in your folder. Be careful, and make sure if you want to delete screenshots, only delete screenshots on this website as once they are deleted from the launcher, they are gone forever.

What's a good way of preventing the loss of my saved games?
    - Keep copies of your save games regularly in a separate folder, wherever you want. I keep mine in a folder on my desktop. Just go to Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves and copy those files into your new folder. Don't forget to replace them frequently!

The patterns I downloaded from the Exchange are blank!
    - Raw pattern files (that are needed to load the pattern) are not uploaded when a person simply uploads a custom content pattern. This causes pattern downloads to blank out. Download only patterns available on furniture or clothing to work around this. There are also many CC patterns available elsewhere.

Where did my family's inventory go?
    - You probably changed active households. Due to the nature of story progression, inventory items and even lifetime rewards disappear. Certain core mods fix this issue, like Indie Stone mod and awesomemod.

Why can't I plant omni seeds anymore?
    - You probably moved from your lot into a new one or changed active households. When gardeners who can plant omni seeds move or you switch households away from them, they lose the ability to plant those seeds. You will not receive the opportunity again. There is no fix for this, though there are mods that work around it.

I can't woo-hoo!
    - Try having both of your sims get into bed (relax option) then try to woo-hoo from there. There have reportedly been issues with "standing" woo-hoo interactions. Remember, your sims must be in the mood to woo-hoo so get to making out already!

Where did my sims go?
    - If you moved sims out of your household, but cannot find them anywhere nor can call them, chances are likely story progression moved them out of town. They are gone forever and cannot be retrieved. I am sorry.

Why can't I rent out a community lot for a party?
    - Certain lots like Recurve Strand in Sunset Valley do not have enough items on them to be considered a themed lot that can be rented. Simply edit the offending lot by adding a few swing sets or beach umbrellas. This will upgrade the lot in a way, and you will be able to rent it.

Where did their gravestone go?
    - If a sim died in a household you were not playing, 99% of the time their gravestone goes to Manage the Dead. Visit the Masoleum at night, and check there. If you waited too long or the sim died at work, there will be no gravestone. Alternately, if a sim died in your active household and you cannot find their gravestone, check everyone's personal inventories, doublecheck the lot (in shrubberies, up against walls, nooks and crannies), doublecheck the lot in which they work, then check Manage the Dead. If you still cannot find the gravestone, it is likely there is none. Gravestones have a tendency to disappear, for whatever reason.

There's something stuck in my sim's hand!
    - Open the console by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+C then enter resetsim firstnameofsim lastnameofsim . This will cause the sim to reset on your lot, hopefully sans whatever is stuck in their hand!

I cannot access the cheat console!
    - Try CTRL+SHIFT+Windows key+C instead. There is an issue with HP computers where the default installed software on the computer actually already claims CTRL+SHIFT+C as its shortcut.

I'm having issues with a mod!
    - Please go to the appropriate website of the mod and ask your questions there. I did not create the mods you use, so I am no expert. I am willing to answer basic questions about installation, but I cannot adequately troubleshoot your mods. Remember to keep your mods updated, install them properly, and use only mods that seem stable. If you are using a mod that advertises itself in beta or alpha, do not act so surprised when strange things start happening in game! Also keep in mind that certain mods conflict with other mods. Be smart and safe when installing mods and install only mods you trust from websites you trust! Always read all the fine print and the directions!

----

Super Extras!
    Where is your hair from?
    - Peggyzone, google it. It replaces the mohawk.

Where can I preview all female hairstyles available at the Store?
    - http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/1050/50149.page#530478
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited July 2009
    Reserved.
  • Dooglers8Dooglers8 Posts: 716 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Okay, I have a question:
    Which career ends up making the most money per week?
  • McbeanMcbean Posts: 2,551 New Member
    edited July 2009
    aarin wrote:
    Reserved.

Table for one?

Cheers.

Mcbean
    edited July 2009
    Dooglers8 wrote:
    Okay, I have a question:

Base salaries yanked from TSR:
    World Renowned Surgeon - 9600
    Master Thief - 9040
    International Super Spy - 7760
    Hit Movie Composer - 7220
    Astronaut - 7014
    Emperor of Evil - 6180
    Star News Anchor - 6128
    Mad Scientist - 5772
    Five-Star chef - 4200
    Power Broker - 2979

Take into account how each career works. You may make more as a surgeon because of call-ins. You may make more as a broker due to meetings. You may make more as a rockstar/composer/athlete due to autographs and whatnot. You may make more as an emperor of evil due to the stuff you bring back home with you. You should also take into account the days of the week each career works on. (http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Career_Tracks#The_Sims_3) Etc etc etc.
  • SimCrazySimCrazy Posts: 9,908 Member
    edited July 2009
    Yay! A new shiny thread =]
    Ok, my sim married someone else, and he had a mom, and 2 brothers.
    Now that I look in his family tree his mom and brothers are not there. Also in his relationship panel they are listed as "distant freind" but arent recognized as family. Thanks =]
    edited July 2009
    Alisox wrote:
    Do magicians have any hidden traits?

No.
  • rafaelc378rafaelc378 Posts: 71 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Dooglers8 wrote:
    Okay, I have a question:

Even after you get to Level 10 on each career, you can still gets raises so potentially none and all of them make the most money per week. Personally, I find ownership of investment properties to be a better income source in the long run.
    edited July 2009
    SimCrazy wrote:
    Yay! A new shiny thread =]
    Ok, my sim married someone else, and he had a mom, and 2 brothers.
    Now that I look in his family tree his mom and brothers are not there. Also in his relationship panel they are listed as "distant freind" but arent recognized as family. Thanks =]

Are they in the active household? If no, have you tried inviting them over or visiting them? I'm thinking story progression did something funny to your family tree but I am uncertain without more details.
    edited July 2009
    Thanks, Aarin.
    You always know the right answer. 8)
    But I have another question:
    My sims had a wedding party today and there was probably 15-17 people at it, and when my two sims got married, only one of the guests ended up clapping and looking interested, all of the other guests and family members just watched smiling.
    Do you have any idea why that happened?
    edited July 2009
    Dooglers8 wrote:
    Thanks, Aarin.
    You always know the right answer. 8)
    But I have another question:
    My sims had a wedding party today and there was probably 15-17 people at it, and when my two sims got married, only one of the guests ended up clapping and looking interested, all of the other guests and family members just watched smiling.
    Do you have any idea why that happened?

This is normal. I cannot say for sure if the reaction of the crowd depends on your relationship with them, because I have invited best friends to a wedding, yet still some of them still boo'd even though they had no romantic relationship (past or present) with my sim's spouse or my sim.
    edited July 2009
    Hi Aarin,
    How do I show pictures of Sims/Lots that are in my media on a forum thread?

thanks in advance :)

Refer to the lovely new list upstairs in the second post. :D It glistens!
    edited July 2009
    Interesting.
    Thanks. 8)
  • Gouka989Gouka989 Posts: 976 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Yes, I have a question for you aarin. :-)

How does one go about contacting EA to recognize a certain forum member for her considerable skill and effort in helping the entire TS3 community? 8)

Oh, and of course, thank you once again. :wink:
  • Rockangel48Rockangel48 Posts: 459 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Yay new thread! (I missed the last one...)

People continuously are mentioning a "free moving camera" to take zoomed in pictures. How do I do that?
    edited July 2009
    Gouka989 wrote:
    Yes, I have a question for you aarin. :-)

How does one go about contacting EA to recognize a certain forum member for her considerable skill and effort in helping the entire TS3 community? 8)

Oh, and of course, thank you once again. :wink:

I know they know I'm alive. That's enough.
    edited July 2009
    Yay new thread! (I missed the last one...)

People continuously are mentioning a "free moving camera" to take zoomed in pictures. How do I do that?

Press tab in live mode.

Use Z and X to zoom out, C to capture.
  • Rockangel48Rockangel48 Posts: 459 New Member
    edited July 2009
    edited July 2009
    Thank you mods for locking my old thread, please don't delete it as I still need it to compile more answers. Thanks again!
  • MedeousMedeous Posts: 1,085 Member
    edited July 2009
    fantastic job aarin. kudos :thumbup: :thumbup:
    edited July 2009
    I have another question.

My technophobe sim doesn't seem to want to take naps. The nap option has a little picture of a T.V crossed out. Can you explain to me why having a nap has anything to do with technophobia?

Happy Simming

What DOESN'T napping have to do with technophobia? I mean, you obviously cannot watch the tele. It doesn't get any more low-tech than sleeping to entertain yourself. :roll: :lol:
    edited July 2009
    madsbenj wrote:
    Aarin,

I created a married couple a few days ago. They're young adults. I've played for a while, and they seem to be aging at different rates. The man is two days away from becoming an adult and the woman is only halfway there! I don't know why this is, since they were created at the same time. This is not the first time this has happened. If it can be fixed, please tell me how. Otherwise, I just want to know why!

Thanks!

Sims that are created at the same time in CAS are age-staggered. Basically what happens is that the first sim made (in order from left to right, it's the first sim on the left) is always older than any other sim who is of the same age stage. I imagine they put this feature into the game to add "colour" to new households made from scratch. However, it ends up being a curse more than a blessing as you have found out.

As far as "fixing it", there are mods that prevent age staggering and there is life fruit/ambrosia. Other than that, it's just something you will have to live with. :(
  • Rockermonkey999Rockermonkey999 Posts: 1,953 New Member
    edited July 2009
    Are their any special tricks to getting a gnome?

I've been trying to get one for ages and I'll I've got to show for it is a stupid gem :(
    edited July 2009
    Are their any special tricks to getting a gnome?

I've been trying to get one for ages and I'll I've got to show for it is a stupid gem :(

No, it is completely random. Though, at the top Criminal career, I was swimming in gnomes and I know there are other people too on the forums who, at the top of the criminal ladder, received them almost every day.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top