Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Prefer to play on: laptop or desktop?

As written in this thread's subject, do you guys prefer playing on a laptop or desktop?

I find that my game is pretty laggy now on my laptop despite tidying up files and all that.

How do you play the Sims?

Comments

• Alexis365Alexis365 Posts: 1,827 New Member
    edited December 2012
    well I've always played on my laptop (x so i'd have to go with my laptop

Edit: you're definitely right about the lagging though. :(
  • RAE2786RAE2786 Posts: 683 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I tried playing on my laptop but I had to keep setting on low if I wanted to play. On my Desktop, I play with all settings on max with no lag. So I definitely prefer desktop.
  • avidon3avidon3 Posts: 419 Member
    edited December 2012
    I just bought a new laptop and it plays the Sims perfectly with all settings on high and no lag or freezing. I have the game on both my PC and laptop but I prefer it on my laptop right now because It is the only game I have loaded on it and I don't like moving the disk from one computer to another. I play Skyrim on my PC.
    B)
  • VihzelVihzel Posts: 734 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I much prefer to play on a desktop computer because you can have a much better graphics card than what can be found on a laptop for around the same price. It's also nice for when you need to upgrade your graphics card in the future, which you can't do on a laptop without having to buy another one.
  • Michael702808Michael702808 Posts: 162 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I prefer Desktop because I played sims 2 on the laptop and never wanted to uninstall it so I installed sims 3 on my desktop :p
  • StillUnwrittenStillUnwritten Posts: 145 New Member
    edited December 2012
    Right now my only choice is to play it on my laptop. It actually runs faster on my laptop than my desktop (which is at home now). But my desktop is almost 6 years old. My laptop is 2.5 years old. I know I'm going to have to get a new computer soon, as soon as I get a full time job and am out of college and can afford it, haha. If I could choose, I'd play on a desktop. However, Simming is something I only do in my spare time, and it's not one of my main priorities in life. It's just something to do, and as long as the game doesn't lag, I'm happy.
  • BeccaLynn94BeccaLynn94 Posts: 330 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I not longer have a desktop, and so I only play on my laptop. I do prefer the desktop.. or at least putting my laptop on a desk. I just like to be sitting up in a chair when I play on the computer xD
  • fififoofoo2123fififoofoo2123 Posts: 149 Member
    edited December 2012
    Well right now I only have a laptop, but I would definitely prefer to play on a desktop. You can usually have an easier time upgrading your desktop with graphic cards, etc. I mean, my laptop runs it with low settings, which makes me sad.

So when I do get a desktop, I will definitely upgrade it (Which I will probably need some help with, because I am not the most tech-savvy person).
    Current profile pic is of my current fave sim to play with! :-)
  • JassieteacakeJassieteacake Posts: 237 Member
    edited December 2012
    Seems like majority of us prefer playing on a desktop!

I think I might end up buying one just to play The Sims 3 lagfree... It was all fine in the beginning but with all the expansion packs, it's getting laggier and laggier! :(

@Vihzel You're so right about the graphics cards for desktops.
  • riniraerinirae Posts: 3,916 New Member
    edited December 2012
    It's most likely best to play on a desktop.

So far I've played TS3 on both, but my desktop at home is like 6 years old. xD My laptop has been good for a while, but as I've added more EPs I've gotten crashes (although no lag despite high settings) and it's probably becoming too much for my graphics card. :(
  • t4dbirdst4dbirds Posts: 265 Member
    edited December 2012
    I prefer laptop only because I can get comfortable on my couch in front of the tv for long periods of game playing. The desktop is too uncomfortable to sit at. If I could just figure out how to move it to the couch like a laptop :lol:

But alas my laptop gave up and died so I'm on my desktop. I saving for another laptop but will have to make sure it works with the sims3 before I buy of course :)
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited December 2012
    Desk top.

A laptop would limit how far I can be away from the screen, the size of my screen, location of the keyboard, hardware and peripheral choices, etc. The only unique value I would get out of it is mobility. I don't need to take my sims with me and I have a tablet and a netbook for mobility.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • buckosnortbuckosnort Posts: 9,628 Member
    edited December 2012
    Desktop definitely! My graphics are way better now then they were when I played on my laptop :D
  • RPERedPandaRPERedPanda Posts: 19
    edited December 2012
    CK213 wrote:
    Desk top.

A laptop would limit how far I can be away from the screen, the size of my screen, location of the keyboard, hardware and peripheral choices, etc. The only unique value I would get out of it is mobility. I don't need to take my sims with me and I have a tablet and a netbook for mobility.

That's actually not true. You can hook a laptop up to a monitor or an HDTV just like you can a Desktop. You can also get wireless peripherals or peripherals with 7 meter or longer cables.

Having said that, I have quite a bit of money into my desktop so I have absolutely no reason to get a laptop. I'm a PC and Audio enthusiast though...so...

I'm also a video game enthusiast....

Why did I pick the three most expensive hobbies :(.
  • AzncoolestAzncoolest Posts: 11
    edited December 2012
    avidon3 wrote:
    I just bought a new laptop and it plays the Sims perfectly with all settings on high and no lag or freezing. I have the game on both my PC and laptop but I prefer it on my laptop right now because It is the only game I have loaded on it and I don't like moving the disk from one computer to another. I play Skyrim on my PC.

I'm looking for a new laptop , would you mind tell me your laptop specs?
  • blondebombsrcablondebombsrca Posts: 126
    edited December 2012
    I like playing on a desktop. I've never had a laptop so I don't have anything else to compare it to. Though I do have it on ps3 but it kind of sucks, only because you can't add any of the packs to it. Far as I know. I could be wrong. Much luck to everyone with their game.
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    edited December 2012
    Desktop. At least you can upgrade everything as time goes by. About the only thing you can do with most laptops is increase the amount of RAM on it.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • tashie_baby11tashie_baby11 Posts: 2,284 New Member
    edited December 2012
    I play on a gaming laptop (: Most of my settings are the highest, with a few being medium. The game runs just fine.

I wouldn't mind having a desktop, but my laptop works fine too.

The only plus for a desktop would be the ability to upgrade it. I'm fine with either, really. A laptop works better for my lifestyle right now, though.
  • SmokeyBearzSmokeyBearz Posts: 1,138 Member
    edited December 2012
    Desktop, for comfort and upgradeability.

I tried playing on a laptop once, and I felt very cramped up.
    You can't position your screen, keyboard and mouse where you want them, to feel comfortable.
    Also there's something about playing on a 20+ inch monitor that's kind of fun.

And I somehow manage to break my PC very often.
    From fried motherboards to glitchy graphic cards.
    So that would be disastrous money-wise if playing on a laptop.
  • turistas9turistas9 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited December 2012
    desktop, feels like it can run games better ..

laptop i used felt slower .lol
  • BrokenxWishesBrokenxWishes Posts: 114
    edited December 2012
    Desktop definitely! Seems like my Graphics are better and I always seem to get alot of lag on my laptop it also tends to freeze alot..