Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CAS Issues. Are other people having similar problems? Update Page 2

I have been having CAS issues which have become a lot worse since seasons. To the point of it being quite difficult to change my sims clothes. I was wondering if others having CAS issues were having the same issues as me. Most of my issues happen when I go in to plan an outfit. I have included some screenshots to show a few things that happen. Then it usually freezes or crashes to desktop sometimes it says exception raised.

ScreenShot2012-11-08at45752PM.png"width=600"

ScreenShot2012-11-15at22854PM.png"width=600"

ScreenShot2012-11-20at42439PM.png"width=600"

I have a 15 inch Mac Book Pro 2012
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Comments

• Options
    JPGFJPGF Posts: 32
    edited November 2012
    Indication that its gonna crash. Suggest to you get rid of the cloths that you DL to avoid that and to wait for a patch. If it ever happens.
  • Options
    joerosen62joerosen62 Posts: 433 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I experienced this too, but it might still crash in the clothing section of CAS. Maybe not all of the time, but the chance of it crashing is still there.

EA really needs to fix this. I have heard that most of these problems are experienced by Mac users.
  • Options
    Bel008Bel008 Posts: 2,370 Member
    edited November 2012
    JPGF wrote:
    Indication that its gonna crash. Suggest to you get rid of the cloths that you DL to avoid that and to wait for a patch. If it ever happens.

Thanks for the reply. :D I know it is an indication that it is going to freeze or crash. I just wanted to know if other people were getting the same problems. If they are then I know it is not just something wrong with my game. I don't use CC so what clothes are you suggesting I get rid of?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    joerosen62 wrote:
    I experienced this too, but it might still crash in the clothing section of CAS. Maybe not all of the time, but the chance of it crashing is still there.

EA really needs to fix this. I have heard that most of these problems are experienced by Mac users.

Thanks for the reply. :D It doesn't freeze or crash every time for me but almost every time.
  • Options
    EnCroixEnCroix Posts: 46
    edited November 2012
    I've had this issue since the 1.42 patch. Nothing you can do to totally fix it. EA ****** up and now we have to wait for them to make it stable again.
  • Options
    CatherynBlueCatherynBlue Posts: 1,550 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I've only had the grey sim one, and it only started recently. Before the seasons patch, though, about a week before I installed it.

Hopefully EA comes out with another game update to fix these glitches, I don't find the grey sim bothersome because it only lasts a few seconds, but your issues look really frustrating and I understand your frustration :)
  • Options
    256Iris256256Iris256 Posts: 170 Member
    edited November 2012
    Yup me too. It usually just freezes. So have to make it crash to desktop manually. :/
  • Options
    StinalinaStinalina Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited November 2012
    Hi Bel, It looks just like what happens in my game.

I get the black sims too, sometimes in crazy colors instead. And the same issues with the boxes; black or strange color mixes. It also happens with hairs.

Even if I try to be really patient, to let it completely load before i scroll down, it still happens. - And then the Crash or freeze.

Same happens with my icons in build/bye, and then it crash or freeze.

I even tried to remove all my store items to see if it was connected to them, but it still happened. Im out of ideas to fix it, and think its up to EA to make a patch as the game is unplayable is you like to build or create sims.

...If only they would.
  • Options
    joerosen62joerosen62 Posts: 433 New Member
    edited November 2012
    *sigh*
    After Generation EA became so careless with their games interms of stablity because there weren't too many problems with the game before Pets. At least not at this scale.
  • Options
    elenisav2elenisav2 Posts: 177 Member
    edited November 2012
    I had all these problems. I did a fresh install of the game and all my EPs and SPs. For me, the problems started after I installed Seasons, since I didn't patch my game to 1.42 before that. Now my game crashes after 10 minutes, but I don't have those problems in CAS anymore.
  • Options
    JamelithJamelith Posts: 51 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Yes. I have these same problems and I have not DL clothes, except those directly from the Sim Store.

The only thing I download is patterns, but the above happens to me before I can even finish picking out clothes let alone change the color/pattern.
  • Options
    Allison18Allison18 Posts: 399 Member
    edited November 2012
    My sims are turning grey as well, usually when I'm editing their appearance with a mirror/dresser/stylist's area.
    (That is, if I can even keep the game running long enough to do so :| )

Sometimes I'm successful, but it seems to me that the problem is with outerwear - I'll create my entire sim in CAS but then as soon as I hit the outerwear tab my game goes all wonky with weird blurry squares and then crashes.

Side note - does anyone know if they are making/working on a patch for all the seasons issues?
    ch_dadpost.gif
  • Options
    lmlj29lmlj29 Posts: 157 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Yep, me too. I just posted a topic about this because I didn't see anyone else taking about it then I found yours...OOPS!! :oops: Guess I didn't look hard enough.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/617138.page

Anyway, the black thumbnails are rampant in my game right now and its all store stuff. After being in CAS for a bit, the thumbnails for the game items get distorted and soon after my game crashes. My current family needs to change into winter wear, but can't get out of their summer clothes because of the crashing issues!!

I am having issues in buy/build mode, too, mostly on lots with sims, but the game crashes whenever I start using buy/build. The thumbnail issue is happening there, too.

I only load store items to my game to keep it "clean" from all the issues associated with 3rd party cc, but that plan isn't working out very well. I refuse to remove my store items and not use them since I PAID FOR THEM!!! :evil:

I've had so many problems with TS3 that I don't even know why I continue to buy the EPs. Five crashes this afternoon alone!! Glutton for punishment, I guess. :cry:
  • Options
    TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    edited November 2012
    Have you tried getting rid of your DC backup files? That helped me.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Thank you all for the replies. :D

Corey785 I totally uninstalled and reinstalled only days after getting seasons. The only things I put back was a some saved games and store content. I am glad it helped you though. :D
  • Options
    256Iris256256Iris256 Posts: 170 Member
    edited November 2012
    Corey785 wrote:
    Have you tried getting rid of your DC backup files? That helped me.

I did. But it didn't help the first and second time. The third time I was just really careful with going to CAS, only when it was really needed and I tried to stay there for a really short time. That helped but maybe the fact that I quit after a while, deleted al my caches and thumbnails and the DC backup again and then restarted my game helped a lot too.
  • Options
    SimNowSimNow Posts: 222 Member
    edited November 2012
    I've been getting this since pets. The only way I've found to get CAS to work at all is to go straight to CAS when you start the game, make your selections fast (not much in the way of trying on!), save, quit, start again for the next sim and repeat above until your family is ready.

It's not great at all, but it is usable and since i've followed some of the advice in threads about making seasons work it is more stable at the moment.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Bel008 wrote:

Corey785 I totally uninstalled and reinstalled only days after getting seasons. The only things I put back was a some saved games and store content. I am glad it helped you though. :D

Your welcome. :-) Try deleting your sims 3 preference folder, (doesn't harm your game) or switching into windowed mode. To do that, load the game and press Command-return at the same time. That worked for me. Also try lowering your graphics settings. Seasons is a very strong in graphics and it might be too strong for your computer to handle on it's current settings.
  • Options
    GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    edited November 2012
    I've had the all black or grey sim issue since around Showtime, and it's only gotten worse with Seasons. I have no CC, but I do use the store. The appearance of the all black character is usually followed by a crash and/or an error message. I tried deleting several of my saved sims from the sim bin, but I still get it. I really wish that I knew how to fix it. I used to love playing around in CAS, now it's just a headache.

As for the black thumbnails in build/buy, I think I've fixed that in my game *knocks on wood*. What I did was delete the package files in my Thumbnails folder (Documents/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Thumbnails just the files inside, not the folder itself!). Then I started a brand new save game, chose a single pre-made sim who lived in a small house, opened up build/buy, and slowly let every thumbnail in each category load. They all loaded up fine and so far I haven't seen the black thumbnails again. Don't know if this will work longterm, or if it's just a temporary fix. But so far, so good for me.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
  • Options
    sweetlittlecherrysweetlittlecherry Posts: 477 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I have had issues with CAS giving me odd graphics and crashing to desktop since Showtime but since patch 1.42 it seems to crash even more now (I don't even have Seasons installed yet). Now I can't even get one Sim made without it crashing after about five minutes. It's horrible as one of the main reasons I enjoy the game is because I love creating Sims, pets and families. :( I have no idea what to do.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Corey785 wrote:
    Bel008 wrote:

Your welcome. :-) Try deleting your sims 3 preference folder, (doesn't harm your game) or switching into windowed mode. To do that, load the game and press Command-return at the same time. That worked for me. Also try lowering your graphics settings. Seasons is a very strong in graphics and it might be too strong for your computer to handle on it's current settings.

My graphic settings are low even through my 2012 Mac should be able to handle higher.
  • Options
    mormondanmormondan Posts: 26
    edited November 2012
    Hi

I think I've found a way of fixing the issues with store content, basically I found out that my mac couldn't take it when I added loads of items at once so now adding like 50 items/ sets, then going into the game and CAS and then entering the categories and waiting for the Thumbnails to load then saving as this stores the item and exiting and repeating this process again, Its extremely time consuming but I think its worth it.

Hope this helps everyone out who's been suffering with these issues.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Bel008 wrote:
    Corey785 wrote:
    Bel008 wrote:

My graphic settings are low even through my 2012 Mac should be able to handle higher.

Are refections turned all the way off? Your graphics in the screenshots looked pretty detailed to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    So I uninstalled and got rid of the hidden files using BluebellFlora's wonderful instructions. Verified and repaired disk permissions. Then reinstalled everything. I didn't put back any store content or old saves and started a new game in Sunset Valley.

CAS create a sim worked fine but when I went into plan an outfit after a bit it froze. The graphics were on the default setting. I turned down the graphics and it has been ok so far in plan an outfit.

Although overall the game is running with a bit of a lag. It was summer in the game and I had the internet turned off. I also turned off all demographics, memories, in game store. I have all SP's and Ep's on disk.

ScreenShot2012-12-08at51626PM.png"width=600"

Screen shot of the freeze. The graphic were on the default setting when this was taken.

Edited error report from when it crashed.

EA_PLATFORM: Windows on X86
    OS name: Windows XP
    OS version number: 5.1.2600
    OS service pack: Service Pack 2
    Debugger present: no
    CPU count: 8
    Processor type: x86
    Processor level: 5
    Processor revision: 14857
    Memory load: 52%
    Total physical memory: 8185 Mb
    Available physical memory: 3896 Mb
    Total page file memory: 8313 Mb
    Available page file memory: 4012 Mb
    Total virtual memory: 2047 Mb
    Free virtual memory: 0 Mb

My stats again are

15 inch Mac Book Pro 2012 OS 10.8.2
    Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

I am going to slowly add back store content and keep trying out CAS to see how much can have before I have major problems again.

• Options
    springacresspringacres Posts: 47 Member
    edited December 2012
    I just now noticed this thread - I had similar problems myself, but thought mine were due to a crashed installation and problems resulting from said crashed installation, so I followed BluebellFlora's instructions. Haven't had it happen since *knocks on wood* but with all the issues THIS patch has caused, I worry about how they're going to fix it and what they'll break in the process. In the meantime, Twallan's mods keep my game at least playable.