Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Graphics Glitches - NVIDIA GeForce GT cards identified - Patch 1.63 FIXES this issue.

Comments

• Options
    heartbreakkidheartbreakkid Posts: 3
    edited February 2013
    I have a late 2012 iMac and I've been experiencing the same thing. It always happens right before fall or at the very beginning of fall. I've deleted my Sim about two times and deleted my game and reinstalled it. Just about every time I master my athletic skill my graphics would start getting all trippy.

Heres my specs.
    Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C2037)
  • Options
    markydeemarkydee Posts: 1,029 New Member
    edited February 2013
    Ugh. When will this be fixed?! I don't even think EA is aware of this issue. Are they? I tweeted simGuruGraham a while ago and he seemed clueless that this even happens. -____-

Anyway, I'm wondering, does this also happen in Windows computers? Or even via Bootcamp? Or is just specific to macs? :?
  • Options
    mkbfjmkbfj Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I get the Autumn bug, and also this seriously annoying glitch all year round.

2n221jq.jpg

MacBook Pro Retina, Mid 2012
    Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.2 (12C3006)

I also get exactly the same problem when I run it on this machine in Windows 7 via VMware Fusion, so I expect it would happen in Bootcamp too.
  • Options
    SterredejongSterredejong Posts: 58
    edited March 2013
    Even though I am sad to read that there hasn't been a fix to this problem, I am so glad to see that there are other people out there who are experiencing this same problem with the glitch.

My specs:

iMac 27" late 2012
    2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    8GB 1600 MHz DDr3 RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M 512 MB
    OSX 10.8.2
  • Options
    ShivaEsme88ShivaEsme88 Posts: 9
    edited March 2013
    Thank you all for being here! I thought I was alone. I got this amazing Mac as a gift and not properly being able to play sims has made me regret it! That is the only thing besides pics and movies that I use on it besides surfing the Internet.
    I have No mods, expansions supernatural, late night, seasons, town stuff pack. I played a while and one day the colors and dagger shapes appeared. It is hard to play around them. I ended my game because the issue was happening on le at my house!
    Removing foliage, changing settings do not help, nor does restarting, etc.
    Specs
    I have a new MacBook Pro with Retina screen,
    2012 15" Retina display
    2.6GHz Intel Core i7
    8GB RAM

I've turned off Graphics switching between which many people recommended.
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 and
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M OSX10.8.2 Mountain Lion

Question 1) many mention season as problematic.... is this caused by seasons?
    Can I remove that one EP to eliminate the issue? If so will this effect my current game
    2) does this happen in all worlds?
    3) my game was great for 2 weeks any reason it would just happen? My new game so far is ok....

Thanks again for the commiserating!

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    Kitteh13Kitteh13 Posts: 17 New Member
    edited March 2013
    UGH! Thank you for reviving this thread I thought I was going crazy!
    I just quit Autumn altogether.
    ... But no one seems to have the same card as mine. :?

Macbook pro late 2009 15"
    OSX 10.6.8
    2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
  • Options
    PikakeNikolePikakeNikole Posts: 29 Member
    edited March 2013
    Wow! I didn't know so many people were experiencing this issue. I'll capture images from my game when I get home. I especially have issues in Sunlit Tides, and I experienced it during the winter at The Point in the University Life town.

My Specs:
    15-inch with Retina display
    2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
    8GB 1600MHz memory
    256GB flash storage
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    If anyone knows if removing seasons all together or turning off the "seasons" in options solves the issue let me know?
    My current new game hasn't experience this like my old game which I deleted assuming wrongly that it was a corrupt file!
    I have disabled the seasons to try to keep this from happening and will report back if this makes it not appear... Thx again
  • Options
    pop_electricpop_electric Posts: 126 Member
    edited March 2013
    If anyone knows if removing seasons all together or turning off the "seasons" in options solves the issue let me know?
    My current new game hasn't experience this like my old game which I deleted assuming wrongly that it was a corrupt file!
    I have disabled the seasons to try to keep this from happening and will report back if this makes it not appear... Thx again

I was so adamant to keep seasons installed but the crashes and graphics issues just got to much so finally after 3 months I gave up, Uninstalled all of my games and reinstalled then without Seasons, now my game runs perfect it's crashed maybe once in CAS but I was in there for a while so I'm not complaining, I even got University and it works great on my iMac.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Pop_electric-
    That is a great help. I have never uninstalled will this ruin a save game? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall or can I remove the one EP for seasons. Sorry if this Is basic, still learning!
  • Options
    larrikg3larrikg3 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited March 2013
    I have the exact same problem! But it starts when the season turns to fall and continues through winter. It is impossible to play my game and I've done 3 live chats with EA to try to fix it and the freakin' crashing, but nothing.

My Specs:

15 in with Retina
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600MHz DDR3
  • Options
    LuvMonkey13LuvMonkey13 Posts: 4
    edited March 2013
    It is not our graphic cards, it is not our RAM, it is not our processor...Mac users, we have to stop looking for the boogeyman in our computers. There is no gremlin residing within. Sure, some of use of trying to use Macs that are not up to par, but in general, that is not the issue. Even before Seasons I endured a 'crash' of some kind every 2-4 hours. That was workable, I saved all the time, reinstalled every so often, avoided CAS and so on.

Then I installed Boot Camp and Windows and...everything works!!! I have played for many, many hours for over a month and holy smoke I can play all aspects of the game, my Sims can throw parties, go to public places (both things I also avoided due to crashes) the graphics are turned up, I can use CAS and change every outfit, hairstyle!!!!!!

I have all expansion packs and stuff packs...I own all of the extra towns. Like many of you, I have played since the original Sims...it is my way to relax after a long day at work. I have also only used Macs at home and did not want to install Bootcamp, but it was worth it.

If you can install Bootcamp and Windows, I think you may experience a whole new game.

p.s. None of this excuses EAs treatment of Mac players. I was lucky to have all of my games on Mac/Win DVDs so I didn't have to buy anything new. Got a legit copy of Windows for about $80 bucks...that sucks, but it was better than not using hundreds of dollars of games that I bought thinking Sims 3 would work as well as the previous versions.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Luvmonkey-

Someone mention they still had the color block and daggers of color even in windows w a nvidia card. Do you also play w a nvidia card?
    I would be willing to invest in windows if it would fix this graphic issue but was hesitant based on a couple of previous posts saying this still had issues.
    Also when you play in windows I'm assuming this means starting a new game right?
  • Options
    TalisaMasalaTalisaMasala Posts: 15
    edited March 2013
    I had issues after previous update (newly married sims didn't move in together & of course crashing), however, the Seasons seemed to have resolved the issues. I had reasonable playtime w/the Seasons, yet, I like to travel most but couldn't b/c it was still acting wonky so I avoided it. Now, I'm reluctant to do this new update. I've order new RAM so not playing 'til it arrives, but still wondering if I should do the update prior to RAM arrival or wait out a new update for this latest update? :roll:
  • Options
    broad_abroadbroad_abroad Posts: 18
    edited March 2013
    I've got that 'camera gets wonky in fall' issue too. It's really annoying. Doesn't screw up game play other than I can only see my Sim when i zoom in close...and it only happens on her home lot, which is a preexisting house that I tweaked. I've only played seasons with Aurora Skies so dropping fall and having more winter kinda does go with the Scandinavian theme (it snows a whole lot!). I'm going to try another world. I'd really like to experience the whole game - heaven forbid! ;)

Here are my specs:
    Late 2009 21.5"
    Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400

I've got CC, mods, store stuff, expansion packs. Doesn't seem to matter much though - I've played vanilla and played with all the jazz - the graphics glitch in fall is still there. Knock on wood it seems to play fine otherwise (really hope I didn't jinx myself there - I don't have Supernatural so jinxing shouldn't happen, right?).
  • Options
    NikkiNightmareNikkiNightmare Posts: 137 New Member
    edited March 2013
    How is seasons working for you in the first place? Did you install it after the latest update? I heard its working for about 50% and not for the other 50. I was too afraid to add seasons again. :p
  • Options
    LuvMonkey13LuvMonkey13 Posts: 4
    edited March 2013
    The video card may be some peoples issues...really not sure, but I was told it was so many different things and tried many suggestions..re-installed so many times.

Anyway, it worked for me and I hope it works for others.

Also, since I had saves of all my games, I was able to save my files on a Windows formatted external hard drive and then move the files to the Windows side. I am able to play all of my old families and towns.

Hope others get to play their games soon.
  • Options
    larrikg3larrikg3 Posts: 4 New Member
    edited March 2013
    I think I may have found a fix. What has been working for me so far, I disabled fall and then enabled it and it seems to have fixed the problem. I don't know if it will stay fixed, but maybe it'll give some temporary relief of weird pointy creepy screen. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    laryenhilllvrlaryenhilllvr Posts: 133 Member
    edited March 2013
    well, i guess i should join the thread as i have had a constant save error and crashing. although i have just reinstalled seasons (i'm a glutton for punishment and once you play seasons you can't go back) i haven't had any graphic issues ,but i'm sure they will come just as soon as i make it to fall or winter.

Here are my specs:
    Late 2012 27" imac
    OS: i can't remember, it's ML and the one before all all the updates to ML that comes standard
    Processor: 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7,
    Memory: 32 gb of crucial
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    larrikg3- That is great news. I only wish I saw this forum before I had stopped my game w the graphics issues so I could try it out. I a in a new game w the seasons disabled. I am going to try this for a while to see if the graphics behave.

I am finding the latest patch to stop a lot of the crashes. I have found a new crash issue that you all may want to check out. Do not use save and quit. only save often and then quit without saving. Otherwise I crash and sends some alert to apple.
    Anyone else seeing this since the update?
    thanks everyone this is a great thread and so helpful.
  • Options
    fountaingoatsfountaingoats Posts: 3 New Member
    edited March 2013
    Please note this thread is about graphics glitches related to NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards. The crashes that others with Macs are experiencing are being tracked in a different thread.

I'm having the exact same issue. For me it was so bad that I couldn't see my Sims at all when they're at home, unless I zoom all the way out. The problem seems to only be affecting their home lot. I had to un-install seasons just to play. It's worked fine since uninstalling seasons, but frankly I want my money back. The game is unplayable with seasons installed.

I tried what larrikg3 suggested, and disabled then re-enabled fall, but it didn't work. My house is still all glitched up even after the season changes to winter. Removing trees from the lot didn't help either.

Mac OS X 10.8.2
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
    All latest updates for Sims via EA

Everyone who got here having similar issues but who DON'T have NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards, you may find a solution here: https://help.ea.com/article/the-sims-3-seasons-known-hardware-issues

Unfortunately this particular problem doesn't yet have a solution. But whenever EA figures out a workaround, hopefully that'll be the page that gets updated...
  • Options
    fountaingoatsfountaingoats Posts: 3 New Member
    edited March 2013
    I may have found a workaround that will enable people who are seeing this problem to play their games with Seasons enabled. The trade-off, if you do this, is slower overall graphics performance.

Most of us (I think) are running on the new Retina Macs, which actually have two graphics cards. There's the integrated Intel card (mine is Intel HD Graphics 4000), and the NVIDIA card (mine is NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M). With default settings, your computer will automatically switch between these cards for better battery life. There is a box you can UN-check under Energy Saver Preferences, which forces the higher-performance graphics card at all times.

Unfortunately, there is no built-in way to force using the integrated Intel HD (lower-performance) card, but there is a free app you can download at http://gfx.io/. This adds an icon to your menu bar that allows you to manually switch between the two cards, so you can "force" the system to use the Intel card while playing with your Sims, rather than the NVIDIA card which is known to cause the issue.

Unfortunately, part of the price/high-endness of this Mac in the first place is to have this fancy graphics card switching, specifically for faster performance when rendering 3D games JUST LIKE THIS ONE (grr EA), so you're basically throwing that benefit away by doing this.

I haven't actually tried this myself, since I went ahead and un-installed Seasons already, and I'm not sure what the graphics performance will be like. But if anyone is still trying to get this to work with Seasons enabled, you might try this (and let us know how it goes).

I might try it myself a little later when I have more time to do the uninstall/reinstall tango.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Fountaingoats -
    I have the same thing you do the dual graphic cards I had turned off the graphic switching to force it to use the NVIDIA card (of course then the seasons graphic issue happened. Great idea though on trying to force the other card to be used, I would agree though it is disappointing to go use the lesser quality card. However it would prove once and for all that this is the NVIDIA Card.
    When you do the uninstall of the Seasons EP can you still play your save game or do you have to start from scratch. Also can I just uninstall that one EP?
    thx
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited March 2013
    I'm really hoping 10.8.3 is going to fix this. Hurry up Apple!

And it's not just Retina 15", all 15" MBPs have integrated and dedicated cards. My other 15" is the 2011 with the AMD Radeon with 1Gb VRAM, no sign of these screwy graphics on that one.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    emiglio1997emiglio1997 Posts: 5 New Member
    edited March 2013
    OS X 10.8.3 ist out, but the problem still exists. I have to turn off winter and fall to play seasons, its really annoying.

Retina MBP
    Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7,
    Memory: 8GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M and Intel HD Graphics 4000

I would play Sims 3 with Intel HD Graphics (gfxCardStatus) if Intel HD Graphics were compatible with Sims 3.

EA, please help us :!:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top