Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm Out. Done. FINISHED. No more Sims for me.

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    Ralf453Ralf453 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited November 2012
    Really?

I think your over reacting and you MIGHT have anger issues for ranting on the fourms :?

Ralf453
    grumpy-cat-lick.gif
  • Options
    xchristaleexchristalee Posts: 289 New Member
    edited November 2012
    jeesh i go to sleep and go to work and so many posts have happened on this thread, i'm not even sure if i should still post any details about my mac and my settings.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    alright, let's see. computers are the one thing i don't know too much about. i also bought this mac off a friend who decided he preferred pcs after two months of having it, so i had no involvement with picking it out.

my video card is a... NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB

not sure if there's anything else you'd need to know about it. my in game settings aren't the at the top, but i don't keep them fully lowered either. more or less in between.
    i also don't really do much with my mac other than itunes, sims 2&3, my side photography nonsense, and a hand full of websites i actually go on.
  • Options
    ashjack20ashjack20 Posts: 163 Member
    edited November 2012
    Ralf453 wrote:
    Really?

I think your over reacting and you MIGHT have anger issues for ranting on the fourms :?

Ralf453

Well, you're a bit late to the party, aren't you? Obviously, you didn't look at the previous posts before making your comment, so your comment is a bit... pointless.
  • Options
    ashjack20ashjack20 Posts: 163 Member
    edited November 2012
    alright, let's see. computers are the one thing i don't know too much about. i also bought this mac off a friend who decided he preferred pcs after two months of having it, so i had no involvement with picking it out.

my video card is a... NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB

not sure if there's anything else you'd need to know about it. my in game settings aren't the at the top, but i don't keep them fully lowered either. more or less in between.
    i also don't really do much with my mac other than itunes, sims 2&3, my side photography nonsense, and a hand full of websites i actually go on.

This stuff is still important, so don't worry about it being late! We have a ton of specs that we are trying to anaylze over in the Mac board, so I'm sure Bluebell will find this useful :wink:
  • Options
    AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited November 2012
    Having grew up on a mac, working on a mac, they're more than capable of gaming. It's a lie when people go around and saying their not great for gaming, pfft they're very powerful systems that can support high graphics and high animations. Even a system that is 3 years old can function better than a pc rig and i'm just talking store bought not custom made.

The problem isn't the users end it's the gaming end. Sims is a pc game designed on pc with a window's os. The coding is than converted over to function with Mac's os. That is what causes the problems, and little problems grow to big ones as you add more and more expansions. Much like we have different versions of the os for windows so do Mac's, each one is going to function differently and have different problems. Window's players and Mac's have troubles alike. I tell you now I have a glitch right now in my game that allows my sim to walk through the walls. That is not a graphic card issue that is a coding issue. Everyone one of us have some glitch wether major or minor.

The problem for mac users is they don't have support, they have to literally go to the mac forums and rely on what's troubleshooted there. There is not developer that goes okay this is what happens I'll fix it. The fixes they get are converted of again from window fixes. The issue persists many times. Which is why they should develop them as separate consoles not convert them. Or like has been said many time find a better mac converter than the jacked up one they have now. I feel for the mac people because, even the window users have to go out looking for fixes to the game.

The least thing we need in this forum is back biting people on fixing issues we should be working together. You may not be having the issue but try helping someone else that is. Or standing by them and giving your support because we all know the game needs some serious fixing to it, even if you it runs smoothly for yourself. United we stand divided and nothing will get fixed.
  • Options
    NotSoLuckyNotSoLucky Posts: 4,682 Member
    edited November 2012
    I'm sorry you're having these problems. Try asking for help instead of giving up. :)
  • Options
    Allspice1232Allspice1232 Posts: 3,234 Member
    edited November 2012
    Anavastia wrote:
    Even a system that is 3 years old can function better than a pc rig and i'm just talking store bought not custom made.

God this Mac vs PC crap is old. I've used PCs for over a decade at this point and all of them have been solid (store bought) computers. I still have all but one of my old ones and they all work the way they did when they were new. It's all in how you take care of them.
    Actually, my newest (it's about a year old at this point) doesn't fit that mold. It's a custom built monster, not store bought.

Anyway, tl;dr, my point: they are made from the same parts and they both last just as long.
    34336_s.gif
  • Options
    crystal91390crystal91390 Posts: 2,882 New Member
    edited November 2012
    IMO if EA can't make sure that their games would run with MACs then they shouldn't even be selling them for MAC computers.

Although I'm pretty sure there are some MAC players who aren't having any problems as well, so tough call really.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    hopefully bluebell or someoneeee (probably a group effort) will be able to go over my specs, other people who's macs are running the game fine, and a few people who aren't able to play, and figure out maybe why the game is working perfect for some and not at all for others.

i'm just beyond annoyed by all these people on all these different threads saying that "macs just can't run the sims 3 and EA shouldn't say it's compatible when it's clearly not" because that's just not the case nor the problem, and it isn't going to help fix anything.
  • Options
    meipmeip Posts: 67 Member
    edited November 2012
    The problem is not the game.. it is how your computer runs it.. My former laptop was having trouble running all my sims games and I decided it was time to upgrade to a more advanced gaming laptop. Now, all my settings are on high and it runs quite smoothly. I am thoroughly enjoying my games. I upgraded my processor, RAM, video card, and hard drive. My laptop is an exoticpc and it's stats are similar to the alienware pcs. I really doubt it is the games' fault.
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited November 2012
    Actually meip it is the game. It is not natively written for OS X like it is for Windows, therein lies the problem. Any software that runs in an emulator or 'wrapper' is never as stable as running in its native environment.

@xchristalee - please can you post over in the Mac forum? Just copy and paste your previously posted Mac details into the following thread:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/610466.page

This thread is irrelevant in this forum but for some stupid reason was moved over here from the Mac forum.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    EvezanEvezan Posts: 773
    edited November 2012
    ashjack20 wrote:
    Not ignoring it enough to move it to the Ideas & Feedback board.

Classy, EA. Very.

From what I understand about the forum title for Mac users, which is "Mac Discussions," I should be able to post something along the lines of discussing how your game does not work for Mac users AT ALL, along with posting my techniques on trying to get the game to play in the Mac board without it being moved.

Unless, I am going to get an answer to my questions here, which I doubt.

I understand your frustrations. But I guess I do not see where you actually have a question. All I saw was a long rant saying how horrid EA is and that everyone should boycott them. Which to be honest is not a constructive post and is not looking for help for yourself or other gamers. It is your feedback which is likely why it got moved to ideas and feedback.

I guess I just cannot fully understand where you are coming from. It makes no sense trying to claim you want to help other people get their game working after telling everyone on the forums to boycott the game.

Sorry you had issues.
  • Options
    christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited November 2012
    hopefully bluebell or someoneeee (probably a group effort) will be able to go over my specs, other people who's macs are running the game fine, and a few people who aren't able to play, and figure out maybe why the game is working perfect for some and not at all for others.

i'm just beyond annoyed by all these people on all these different threads saying that "macs just can't run the sims 3 and EA shouldn't say it's compatible when it's clearly not" because that's just not the case nor the problem, and it isn't going to help fix anything.

macs really are great computers but definatly not when it comes to gaming. its honestly not EA's fault when for so many years they have focused on windows. You mac usuers should be complaining to apple not EA
  • Options
    SuRihtanilSuRihtanil Posts: 1,456 Member
    edited November 2012
    Get the overwatch mod it fixed my issues
  • Options
    Candygurl84Candygurl84 Posts: 5,056 Member
    edited November 2012
    this
    I SAY : POST IT : The Squeaky wheel gets the oil!

I wasn't planning on saying anything but this is absolutely true. If you have a whole bunch of silently dissatisfied customers, boo hoo. It's not a problem because there isn't a fuss. But when it gets so loud that it becomes a huge problem, eventually they can't ignore it anymore. They just can't. (they are right now, however)
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited November 2012
    mac usuers should be complaining to apple not EA

What should we be complaining to Apple about specifically? We've already explained on here how and why the game doesn't run properly on OS X, that it is the method that EA adopted for making the game so called compatible on a Mac. There are thousands of games that run beautifully on Macs. Should we be complaining that Apple aren't in bed with EA over development? What a horrific thought! :lol:
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    kduck2000kduck2000 Posts: 8
    edited November 2012
    I think you should keep playing. There is so much bad CC you might not have even have downloaded it. I have these weird boots and the women's shirt that makes toddlers extremely creepy that I didn't even download. It's your opinion though.
  • Options
    XRumblingcdsXXRumblingcdsX Posts: 43
    edited November 2012
    kduck2000 wrote:
    I think you should keep playing. There is so much bad CC you might not have even have downloaded it. I have these weird boots and the women's shirt that makes toddlers extremely creepy that I didn't even download. It's your opinion though.

your a university of oregon duck fan arn't you?
  • Options
    tayloremxxtayloremxx Posts: 543 Member
    edited November 2012
    Maikenvv wrote:
    Soo i'm guessing you are not out, done, and FINISHED? :P
    ashjack20 wrote:
    And this myth that "You shouldn't have a Mac if you want to game" is getting old and tiring. There are plenty of developers who are warming up to the idea and progressing towards making games compatible with Macs. They know that there is a gaming community that use them and it is growing and it's going to continue to grow.

well let me ask you this:
    Would you still be complaining so heavily (or care at all) if you had a PC and your game worked just fine? Well if it's only a mac issue maybe saying "You shouldn't have a Mac if you want to game" is accurate. Friends i know that want to game on a mac have BOOT CAMP or have gone out and bought a PC specifically for gaming.

You have a few options:
    1. Buy a PC.
    2. Fix the problem yourself.
    3. wait for the problem to get patched.
    4. quit playing :) and i honestly don't think you want to do that since your still on here posting :P

If EA didn't say the Sims was compatible with mac, I would agree with you. But it says with huge letter on the box that mac is working and supported. Neither is true. And that is why a lot of mac players are angry.

And about playing games on the mac. I play a lot of games these days. Some are even released from the Mac App Store. Saying that is like saying you shouldn't use adobe photoshop on windows. It's just not true and referring to old times.

As much as I agree with this statement about MAC not being a gaming computer I have first hand experience with the sims 3 on MAC and PC, as I have both. And I can tell you it works a heck of a lot better on my PC... The sims wasnt made to be on MAC in the start so when they decided to put it out there for MAC customers, one can only assume it was slapped together with coding just like our super awesome patches. I believe that they spent so much of their time creating it for PC (as had been done in the past) that it just works better there. Just MO though.
  • Options
    tayloremxxtayloremxx Posts: 543 Member
    edited November 2012
    I hope you get everything sorted out though :)
  • Options
    anajessiaanajessia Posts: 286 Member
    edited November 2012
    Well, it's your choice so bye.
  • Options
    christine400christine400 Posts: 5,554 Member
    edited November 2012
    anajessia wrote:
    Well, it's your choice so bye.
    not sure who were talking to but ouch :? :)
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    edited November 2012
    Its probably not the game so much beacuse if it were EVERYBODY would be having that problem. i've learned laptops are crappy for gaming. I had one and it made my game crap and i was ticked like you but i got a desktop and i have nothing to complain about except minor bugs. but that is to be expected in a major game like this.