Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So, EA...Are you going to fix this game?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited November 2012
    CMWarren wrote:
    But they are NOT gaming computers, and I promise if you switched from a Mac to a Dell or Gateway or any other actual gaming computer, you WILL find a HUGE difference, MAC computers were not created to game.

I don't need to switch to a Dell or any other PC to see that the game runs better in Windows. I can install Windows on my Mac using Boot Camp to see the difference. And you know what? It's using EXACTLY THE SAME HARDWARE. So, tell me again that my Macs aren't gaming computers. Why do I get exceptional gameplay on my Mac in Windows but not so in OS X? Because the game was written for Windows, not OS X. So it's not the Mac, it's the 'wrapper' that EA decided to use which, by the way, is called Cider. TS1 and TS2 ran beautifully on Macs because they were natively coded for the OS. Amazing the difference that a little piece of proper coding can do isn't it?
    and you can hardly upgrade them or add in RAM or a better graphics card

Huh? How on earth did I upgrade my husband's MacBook Pro to 16Gb RAM then? Did I perform a miracle? How did I upgrade the RAM in my iMac a couple of years ago? Also a miracle? And how did I put in a bigger hard drive in my other MacBook Pro? Oh wait, that must have been a miracle too. Come to think of it, the 2 graphics cards replacements I've done for friends in their Mac Pros recently, well, they must have been miracles too.

Seriously, do some research before you start banging out the tired old "Macs aren't gaming computers" line. If the game is written natively for the Mac OS, then it's a great gaming machine, just like Windows games run great on errr, Windows machines.

And of course, let's not ignore the most important point here - EA say the game is MAC COMPATIBLE.

you just proved the point. you installed windows using bootcamp, and the game worked considerably better. that proves that mac is not a gaming system. its not designed for games.

If Macs are not gaming computers, then why do they work just fine for playing Sims 3 when they have Windows installed on them? Changing just the operating system would not have that effect if the Macs themselves were the issue.
  • Options
    CMWarrenCMWarren Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited November 2012
    CMWarren wrote:
    But they are NOT gaming computers, and I promise if you switched from a Mac to a Dell or Gateway or any other actual gaming computer, you WILL find a HUGE difference, MAC computers were not created to game.

I don't need to switch to a Dell or any other PC to see that the game runs better in Windows. I can install Windows on my Mac using Boot Camp to see the difference. And you know what? It's using EXACTLY THE SAME HARDWARE. So, tell me again that my Macs aren't gaming computers. Why do I get exceptional gameplay on my Mac in Windows but not so in OS X? Because the game was written for Windows, not OS X. So it's not the Mac, it's the 'wrapper' that EA decided to use which, by the way, is called Cider. TS1 and TS2 ran beautifully on Macs because they were natively coded for the OS. Amazing the difference that a little piece of proper coding can do isn't it?

Huh? How on earth did I upgrade my husband's MacBook Pro to 16Gb RAM then? Did I perform a miracle? How did I upgrade the RAM in my iMac a couple of years ago? Also a miracle? And how did I put in a bigger hard drive in my other MacBook Pro? Oh wait, that must have been a miracle too. Come to think of it, the 2 graphics cards replacements I've done for friends in their Mac Pros recently, well, they must have been miracles too.

Seriously, do some research before you start banging out the tired old "Macs aren't gaming computers" line. If the game is written natively for the Mac OS, then it's a great gaming machine, just like Windows games run great on errr, Windows machines.

And of course, let's not ignore the most important point here - EA say the game is MAC COMPATIBLE.

you just proved the point. you installed windows using bootcamp, and the game worked considerably better. that proves that mac is not a gaming system. its not designed for games.

If Macs are not gaming computers, then why do they work just fine for playing Sims 3 when they have Windows installed on them? Changing just the operating system would not have that effect if the Macs themselves were the issue.

again, windows is a gaming system, mac isn't. mac is not simply the componants of the computer but the opperating system. the OS that apple makes is not designed for games, which is why when you put windows on a mac, games run better. in essense, you just turned your mac into a pc by running pc operating system. the problem is that mac componants are by their very nature slower when it comes to running games because they are not designed for that.

take the same game, and put it on a pc bought at the same time as the mac, and it will run even better than booting up a windows opperating system onto your mac.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    CMWarren wrote:
    CMWarren wrote:

again, windows is a gaming system, mac isn't. mac is not simply the componants of the computer but the opperating system. the OS that apple makes is not designed for games, which is why when you put windows on a mac, games run better. in essense, you just turned your mac into a pc by running pc operating system. the problem is that mac componants are by their very nature slower when it comes to running games because they are not designed for that.

take the same game, and put it on a pc bought at the same time as the mac, and it will run even better than booting up a windows opperating system onto your mac.

Actually, you're kinda wrong; the word "Mac," which is short for Macintosh, is a description of a physical component setup; it's purely a name for a hardware designation. While the Mac hardware has changed a lot, the fact remains that they are all part of the marketed Mac hardware setup. The operating system Apple uses is Mac OS X the last time I checked, and you can run that on machines set up for Windows; you can also run Linux on Macs without any difficulty, and there are a lot of Mac users who use Linux as their operating system and remove OS X entirely. The Mac components, these days, are mostly the same as a normal PC; they even use the same video cards. The fact that you have Mac users playing Sims 3 on a Mac using Windows as the operating system and often getting the same speeds as PC users (or, given the number of PC complaints about lagging, better speeds) says a lot that the issue isn't hardware.

Now, keep in mind I'm a PC player who can barely use a Mac and I know that much just from simple research (and from having my butt handed to me on a silver platter, complete with garnish, by BluebellFlora in the past on this issue).

Now, if you want to prove that Macs are slower, it's easy; post a video of you loading it on both a Mac and a PC. If it clearly shows that a top of the line Mac is slower than a top of the line PC, you'll have proven your point.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Taranatar9 wrote:
    Seasons was made in two months. Did you really not see it coming?

I just wish they hadn't decided to wreck the game of those of us who didn't buy it.

expansion packs take a year to a year and a half from the beginning of development to finishing and shipping it off.

it did not take them two months to make it.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    CMWarren wrote:
    CMWarren wrote:

Actually, you're kinda wrong; the word "Mac," which is short for Macintosh, is a description of a physical component setup; it's purely a name for a hardware designation. While the Mac hardware has changed a lot, the fact remains that they are all part of the marketed Mac hardware setup. The operating system Apple uses is Mac OS X the last time I checked, and you can run that on machines set up for Windows; you can also run Linux on Macs without any difficulty, and there are a lot of Mac users who use Linux as their operating system and remove OS X entirely. The Mac components, these days, are mostly the same as a normal PC; they even use the same video cards. The fact that you have Mac users playing Sims 3 on a Mac using Windows as the operating system and often getting the same speeds as PC users (or, given the number of PC complaints about lagging, better speeds) says a lot that the issue isn't hardware.

Now, keep in mind I'm a PC player who can barely use a Mac and I know that much just from simple research (and from having my butt handed to me on a silver platter, complete with garnish, by BluebellFlora in the past on this issue).

Now, if you want to prove that Macs are slower, it's easy; post a video of you loading it on both a Mac and a PC. If it clearly shows that a top of the line Mac is slower than a top of the line PC, you'll have proven your point.

WRONG. Macintosh includes the opperating system, created by the SAME COMPANY. macintosh is a computer brand owned by Apple, who created it (macintosh being a type of apple, hence the same). they create their physical componants, and they create their opperating systems, and the two are created together with each other in mind.

why do you always do this, Tanya? you spew alot of false information, acting like you are an expert, while saying things that anyone with 15 seconds and google can easily dismantle and disprove.

what makes a mac is that its componants and operating system are made by the same exact company. we have seen mac start to open up with putting intel and a few other processor companies into their computers, but while that speeds the system up, mac still makes most of their other componants themselves, optimising them for things, gaming of which is not really one of them.

unless that game was designed specifically for a mac system, it is going to have problems. so few programmers build games of the style of thesims specifically for mac; all basically program it for pc (the larger market), then port it to mac. the problem is, one can easily upgrade a pc, where as macs are hard and expensive to upgradfe (some say it is on purpose to corce users into simply buying a new mac). in the end, macs are going to have a harder time keeping up.

that installing windows on a mac computer increases the ability to play a game because WINDOWS IS A GAMING SYSTEM. windows can better use componants for gaming becuase it is designed with gaming in mind. AGAIN, you put that game on a windows computer that came out at the same time as the mac in question, and it will play it even better than a mac with windows opperating system booted up and intalled.

please... you always do this. you talk about things your posts prove you dont understand. What compulsion makes it so you have to fight over EVERYTHING when you dont even understand the basics of what is being discussed?

Again, as I noted in another thread, I have been playing video games for 25 years. I have beta tested games thoughout that time in a variety of genres and styles: sand box, mmorpg, rpg, shooters, turn-based strategy. I have played on numerious consoles, numerous opperating systems, hand held, laptops, desktops, and standalones. That has given me a broad and indepth understanding of how games and computers work, having not only troubleshooted problems myself, but having actually built computers themselves.

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited November 2012
    @CMWarren - I can't add anything that TanyaRubirose hasn't already pointed out. I guess you don't understand what a 'Mac' is and what 'OS X' is.
    the problem is that mac componants are by their very nature slower when it comes to running games because they are not designed for that

The hardware inside a Mac isn't made by Apple. Let me tell you what the 15" MacBook Pro I am currently typing on is made up of:

Processor:
    2.6Ghz Intel Quad Core i7

Graphics:
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 512Mb (integrated)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1Gb (dedicated)

HD:
    750Gb Toshiba SATA

No, what you mean to say is that OS X uses OpenGL as opposed to DirectX which Windows uses. If a game is written natively using OpenGL then there isn't a problem, for example TS1 and TS2 and thousands of other games out there. The problem lies when the developer, in order to save money, 'wraps' the game in an emulator, tricking the game into thinking it's running on a different platform - so much is lost in translation. Let me give you a link about OpenGL and DirectX:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/133824-valve-opengl-is-faster-than-directx-even-on-windows

That is absolutely not true and if you had experience of Macs and Boot Camp you would know that. Apple write all of the drivers that Windows needs for the hardware inside each specific model of Mac. This results in much faster start up speeds and an OS which is ready to use as soon as the machine has launched to the desktop. I promise you, I'm speaking from experience.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    CMWarren wrote:
    WRONG. Macintosh includes the opperating system, created by the SAME COMPANY. macintosh is a computer brand owned by Apple, who created it (macintosh being a type of apple, hence the same). they create their physical componants, and they create their opperating systems, and the two are created together with each other in mind.

If Macs are both the operating system and the physical components, then why are the operating systems now referred to without the Mac designation (link: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/02/16/with_mountain_lion_apple_officially_drops_mac_from_os_x_name.html) and why can you load OS X on a Windows machine and have it run just fine (link: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-install-mac-os-x-on-a-pc-without-using-a-mac/)? Where's your evidence that they are utterly the same? I will admit that OS X is made with certain components in mind... but so is Windows (that's why Windows has certain system requirements and certain recommended components).
    why do you always do this, Tanya? you spew alot of false information, acting like you are an expert, while saying things that anyone with 15 seconds and google can easily dismantle and disprove.

Got evidence to prove this? Because right now, you're trolling.
    what makes a mac is that its componants and operating system are made by the same exact company. we have seen mac start to open up with putting intel and a few other processor companies into their computers, but while that speeds the system up, mac still makes most of their other componants themselves, optimising them for things, gaming of which is not really one of them.

Here's a link to the Apple store on the Mac Pro: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro

Note the processor and graphics card; I have a graphics card by that same company in my PC. So, it looks like Mac isn't making two of the most important gaming components themselves. So, if I'm so easy to disprove using five minutes of research, then post your research to show that your are right. Because, so far, I'm proving that the parts important to gaming within the case are not even made by Apple.

Edit: Also, explain why BluebellFlora's computer uses so many non-Apple parts.
    unless that game was designed specifically for a mac system, it is going to have problems. so few programmers build games of the style of thesims specifically for mac; all basically program it for pc (the larger market), then port it to mac. the problem is, one can easily upgrade a pc, where as macs are hard and expensive to upgradfe (some say it is on purpose to corce users into simply buying a new mac). in the end, macs are going to have a harder time keeping up.

Got evidence for this? And how do you explain BluebellFlora managing to upgrade so many times? Are you suggesting she is Neo Moses? Should all Mac users follow her to the computer user holy land?
    that installing windows on a mac computer increases the ability to play a game because WINDOWS IS A GAMING SYSTEM. windows can better use componants for gaming becuase it is designed with gaming in mind. AGAIN, you put that game on a windows computer that came out at the same time as the mac in question, and it will play it even better than a mac with windows opperating system booted up and intalled.

All you're doing is changing the operating system. All of the physical components remain the same. And, please, I want you to post links that prove that Windows is a gaming OS; because, really, it's not (it's a general-purpose OS, which anyone who has taken a basic computer class knows).
    please... you always do this. you talk about things your posts prove you dont understand. What compulsion makes it so you have to fight over EVERYTHING when you dont even understand the basics of what is being discussed?

Got proof I'm doing this? I want links. I want quotes. I want pictures. I want you to prove you both know my education level on this topic and that I am purposefully fighting you on something I don't understand and have no proof to back.
    Again, as I noted in another thread, I have been playing video games for 25 years. I have beta tested games thoughout that time in a variety of genres and styles: sand box, mmorpg, rpg, shooters, turn-based strategy. I have played on numerious consoles, numerous opperating systems, hand held, laptops, desktops, and standalones. That has given me a broad and indepth understanding of how games and computers work, having not only troubleshooted problems myself, but having actually built computers themselves.

I asked you for proof of this on that other thread. You posted none at all. You didn't even bother to reply. So, do you have proof you accomplished these claims, or are you lying?
  • Options
    EpikSimEpikSim Posts: 158
    edited November 2012
    Remember its EA so... as much as we all want this game to be bug and glitch free, and its not hard to do at all... its not gonna happen.