Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Save Issues with Supernatural and Seasons CAW: Discussion and research thread.

Comments

• SheenaFinSheenaFin Posts: 134 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Navazzah wrote:
    1.18.5.019037 is not a new. It's the one that has been broken from the start.

Ah, my mistake. :oops:
  • NavazzahNavazzah Posts: 156 New Member
    edited November 2012
    SheenaFin wrote:
    Navazzah wrote:
    1.18.5.019037 is not a new. It's the one that has been broken from the start.

Ah, my mistake. :oops:

No worries. I just wish that EA would do something about CAW already. :(
  • StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited November 2012
    Navazzah wrote:
    Why don't they fix CAW? This situation is really starting to test my patience and it's getting quite short already. I know there are some fixes for world exporters but there's nothing for us who cannot save in CAW due to Read-Only Lots -warnings and also for us whose EIG is crashing every single time without exception. My God, EA, what are you guys waiting for??? :x

I had a cycnical thought..... maybe they are waiting till after Monte Vista is released..... It would probably boost sales... :wink:

I can't even export my worlds successfully anymore :(:( . Thank goodness Season and Supernatural have plenty to entertain me and take my mind of not being able to use my beloved CAW. I seriously hope it gets fixed SOON. :roll:
    Simming since the beginning! :)
  • LittleK-9LittleK-9 Posts: 14
    edited November 2012
    I have a question. Which of the latest CAW version was stable and what TS3 patch is needed? And is it still possible to download?
  • Nirar22Nirar22 Posts: 172 Member
    edited November 2012
    I don't have trouble with CAW while creating, or even with Edit in Game, and I can even export the world just fine. So I guess I am thankful for that. It's when I get to the installing that I have issues.

I used the work around to get my world to show up in game, and that worked, and I was happy! Until I realized that my saved game in that world does not show up in game on the Main Menu screen, but it does show up in the Saves folder. That is SO annoying!

Does anyone know of a work around for that? Seems rather pointless though to have the world if I cannot save the game and have it show up the next time I open the game up.
    The Stone Kings--my Random Royal Kingdom Challenge

Full of Beans--a Perfect Genetics, Midnight Sun, ISBI rolled into one challenge
  • ANNIEOVERANNIEOVER Posts: 2,014 Member
    edited November 2012
    Nirar22 wrote:
    I don't have trouble with CAW while creating, or even with Edit in Game, and I can even export the world just fine. So I guess I am thankful for that. It's when I get to the installing that I have issues.

I used the work around to get my world to show up in game, and that worked, and I was happy! Until I realized that my saved game in that world does not show up in game on the Main Menu screen, but it does show up in the Saves folder. That is SO annoying!

Does anyone know of a work around for that? Seems rather pointless though to have the world if I cannot save the game and have it show up the next time I open the game up.

Yes. I have the exact same as you. I renamed my world, cleared my CAW cache files, cleared my dcbackup file of the world, erased it completely from my sims 3 document folders, and exported my world again. It worked! I hope it works for you too
  • BorogwainBorogwain Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    ANNIEOVER wrote:
    (...) cleared my dcbackup file of the world (...)
    Sorry, but how you did that? You mean "C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\DCBackup" in Win7? There are many of code-named ".package" files. How one can find file of a given world?
  • StarbucaneerStarbucaneer Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited November 2012
    Okay I can export and install older worlds that I have not worked on for a while. If I try to edit or update them in CAW that all works fine but then I am unable to install them. If I ONLY select an old world and export it WITHOUT opening it. It will export and it will install but then I cannot open it in-game. I get an error message saying a serious error has occurred and I should close the application, the screen behind stays black. <SIGH>!
    Simming since the beginning! :)
  • JhoveJhove Posts: 113 Member
    edited November 2012
    The last thing EA needs is another angry customer but why is CAW still Beta after several years? And, should CAW be updated along side it's new expansion as it is released? This program is very important to nearly half the player base and makes EA look pretty bad. I have been very disappointed in TS3 with no OFB expansion but CAW breaking every expansion and not being fixed in a timely manner is inexcusable.

I cannot believe it but I think I am going to install Sims 2 tonight. Have not played it in years and years but I cannot take living without OFB any longer. I am done buying expansions and stuff packs, Goodbye TS3.
  • andjeandje Posts: 27
    edited November 2012
    Navazzah wrote:
    Why don't they fix CAW? This situation is really starting to test my patience and it's getting quite short already. I know there are some fixes for world exporters but there's nothing for us who cannot save in CAW due to Read-Only Lots -warnings and also for us whose EIG is crashing every single time without exception. My God, EA, what are you guys waiting for??? :x

I had this issue with world I am updating for SN and Seasons, and I wrote down all codes from error log. Then in regular CAW I traced down all lots that were marked as read only - and deleted them in layers. I had 46 lots out of 146 lots in the world, so yea a lot of work. After that I was able to save the world and load EiG. Since I already have the old version of that world in game I copied all those lots in bin and am in the proces of marking those lots again (and adresses and BV buffs). Managed to place and save some of those "troubling" lots and exported world with them.

Had issues with world not installing and after making extensions visible and changing file to .world (copied it in installed world folder and in programfiles/.../worlds folder and got it in game.

Now the question is how in the world will I share this update with a community? Cant expect everyone to follow these instructions while I am now affraid if I make it ready before that future fix for CAW, if it would work or I would have to do the update all over again? Have way to many backup folders of this world.
  • bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited November 2012
    I still can't even open CAW - it still wants me to update to a backwards version. :?
  • Nirar22Nirar22 Posts: 172 Member
    edited November 2012
    I talked to EA's live chat, what do they call them? Advisors? Yesterday. I was able to find out that at least this issues are on a Known Issue List. Whether that means it will be fixed any time soon is anybody's guess. He did say, the more noise we make, the better. :) It is difficult to force myself to make noise about it, since in RL, I am super quiet!

At any rate---I asked the Advisor if there was an easier way to tell that CAW had been updated besides downloading it, installing it, and then checking the version number. He said no, there wasn't, but he would add that to my report that he was typing up. That would be a really nice surprise, if I could just look at the CAW download page and be able to tell that they updated it!

I appreciate the help Annieover, but I was still unable to get my saves to show up in the Main Menu. I am at a standstill. :(

A snippet of my conversation:
    Okay, it looks like this is currently a known issue. Sorry about that. People have had success by patching the game, but since CAW is still new, I'm sure we'll get it ironed out soon. Would you like me to link you to the patch? :)

you: Patch to what? I am at the current patch level for Sims game---1.42. I have the appropriate version of CAW for that patch level. It seems that CAW is broke, and I hope they fix it soon. And sorry, I was also a bit confused about CAW being new? Hasn't it been out since 2009? Or are you referring to the CAW for patch 1.42?

Andrew: Oh, it was altered recently to fix some bugs in it, which worked, and created new bugs. That's what I meant by new. My apologies. That was confusing. :)
    Andrew: As for the patch, your game is up to date, but sometimes if you patch, it kick starts things into working. :)

you: Okay---I suppose it wouldn't hurt. But are they working on fixing CAW? There has been no word on whether any one was even aware of the problem. That is the biggest frustration, I can be patient, if I know that it is being looked into. If I have no idea if it will be fixed, then I start to worry that all my hard work on my custom world was for naught!

Andrew: Which I totally understand. It is listed as a known issue, which means they are aware of the issue, but I'm going to be sure to file a report on it immediately.

btw---using the Superpatcher didn't do a thing. But it was worth a shot, it has fixed game issues for me before.
    The Stone Kings--my Random Royal Kingdom Challenge

Full of Beans--a Perfect Genetics, Midnight Sun, ISBI rolled into one challenge
  • NavazzahNavazzah Posts: 156 New Member
    edited November 2012
    andje wrote:
    I had this issue with world I am updating for SN and Seasons, and I wrote down all codes from error log. Then in regular CAW I traced down all lots that were marked as read only - and deleted them in layers. I had 46 lots out of 146 lots in the world, so yea a lot of work. After that I was able to save the world and load EiG. Since I already have the old version of that world in game I copied all those lots in bin and am in the proces of marking those lots again (and adresses and BV buffs). Managed to place and save some of those "troubling" lots and exported world with them.

Well, I don't have a previous version of my world and even though I only have 17 read-only lots, I refuse to delete them, since I do not have copies of them. If they were just a random lots/buildings I might do that but I'm building a themed world and every single lot has taken a huge amount of time to make, since every little detail has to be as close to the original as possible. I just can't go through that again. It would take way too long. I've already worked on this world for year and half now. :(
  • HBPattskynHBPattskyn Posts: 18 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Everything was going beautifully; I've been working on the "perfect" world for a several months.

I downloaded the latest patch as prompted the last time I went to play. When I went back into CAW I got the game/CAW incompatible notice (I have not added the latest expansion, Seasons... or anything else except the patch that allows for swimming in the ocean).

Saved my world, uninstalled and reinstalled CAW with no problems. Decided it was time to upload my world to my game. I'm a bit of a technically impaired idiot (no, really), but I found a good tutorial and followed the steps. Everything worked perfectly, I even got the "success!" message to tell me that my world had safely and soundly been imported to my game.

Only it wasn't there. It wasn't in my "installed content" file either. It's on the "uploaded" screen, but not the "installed" screen.

Three hours, multiple failed attempts, and several gray hairs later I got directed here and am hoping for help, direction, encouragement, a reason not to cry. :cry:

I have all of the expansions EXCEPT Showtime and Seasons, no stuff packs, and absolutely no mods or custom content that didn't come from EA.
  • kaosgirl00kaosgirl00 Posts: 74 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I've contacted an EA Executive Customer Relations Representative who I've been in touch with in the past for Sims 3 issues. When I hear back from her I will let y'all know what she said.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2012
    I believe the Dev are on Holiday since at least last Wednesday, but hopefully they or some of them will be back tomorrow. They will definitely be back Tuesday as there is a live chat for the new Store world with two world creator Devs - Tuesday morning 10 am pst on Origin live chat. So hopefully you guys will finally start hearing from folks who can actually fix things.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Sneakfeline0Sneakfeline0 Posts: 1,235 Member
    edited November 2012

Well, I thought I was exempt from the EIG crash as I haven't had a problem except having to change it from a .package to a .world, but now I crash in EIG. Strange it would only start happening now after a couple of weeks....
  • ItherinItherin Posts: 16 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I have had problems similar to the ones listed in this thread. It will probably be of no help, but I shall list the problems I have had to hopefully make some more noise to get this fixed.

At first CAW would crash my computer completely: black screen, sound loop, the works. Turns out that was actually a graphics issue relating to my graphics card being fuzzy and only wanting an HDMI cable to run to my monitor. Very bizarre. It is now resolved. I had the same happen to TS3, though not as often. With the graphics fix TS3 does not crash at all, even after several hours of running, but CAW will still sometimes crash. I found that saving often would delay the crashing, which it still seems to do, but everything is set up to using more RAM (which there is plenty of), so I am not sure why this would be. The remaining crashing is probably a computer issue, not a CAW issue, though I can't be 100% sure, so I thought I would list it anyway.

I had started a world before I updated to 1.42 and the equivalent CAW version. Once updated I was unable to open that world, however, I was fortunately able to open up a backup save. I haven't had problems with other files, though I haven't had many to try.

Opening EIG in the normal way crashes CAW, but I can open it following the minimising tip. I can place trees and objects in EIG and it saves fine. I do not know how it would affect lots, as my world so far only has been sculpted, painted, and some roads and objects have been placed. Not sure if I would want to find out what will happen to my lots, actually. I placed one lot in the world (mostly to see how the roads were going to be around it), and saved, which caused no problems, but the lot was completely blank. The lot has since been removed.

I wonder if having only blank lots would avoid the "read only lots" problem. For those of us (including me) who only create world to play in, and not to share, this might be fine, as building can be done once the world is exported (though testing would be difficult, I suppose). I also wonder... does it affect all types of lots, or only community/residential/whatever lots?

That is all. I shall continue to sculpt/paint and make my world nice and lush, and hope that by the time I come to placing lots, building and then exporting my world they will have fixed everything (which I know might be wishful thinking).
  • Mfaw81PMfaw81P Posts: 114 Member
    edited November 2012
    I called EA customer support and they said they don't support Create a World since it's still in beta. so I asked who I should contact to address the issues, and they steered me back to the forums and a third party site...

Either the employee was lazy or EA just doesn't care about thier products??
  • PyischanPyischan Posts: 411
    edited November 2012
    I wish it would work a bit better, I like making worlds that people might like. I am not sure how true this statement is...

I wonder if they realize that we do kind of take some pressure off of them for new worlds to play with which in results in they can focused their attention on other things (eg: expansion pack, stuff packs, and other things) and we do this for free. Sorry about my grammar in this.

Anyways, that I got that monkey off my chest; this song might fit the what we are feeling right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A
  • computertech82computertech82 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited November 2012
    Mfaw81P wrote:
    I called EA customer support and they said they don't support Create a World since it's still in beta. so I asked who I should contact to address the issues, and they steered me back to the forums and a third party site...

Either the employee was lazy or EA just doesn't care about thier products??

As most companies, ea most likely contracts out everything in the game. Or other words, ea doesn't really make ea games. Hence the major problems, as many different companies don't coordinate together.
    We're probably waiting for a 3rd party company in china or india to figure out how to fix it.
    tron_zps9rppf9ua.jpg
  • martys15martys15 Posts: 7,790 New Member
    edited November 2012
  • mikrokitty78mikrokitty78 Posts: 372 Member
    edited November 2012
    So they're working on a fix but can't even hint as to when it will be ready? That doesn't sound very promising.

I too am having issues with Create a World since updating to 1.42, issues already mentioned in this thread.

1. EIG crashes constantly.
    2. Exported worlds do not show up after installation.

Really, EA, I've spent a lot of money on these games. I think a working tool in the face of so many complaints should be more of a priority.
    Also known as Misty, Simsl3gacies, and Margaret Pendragon
  • SimExpertJaredSimExpertJared Posts: 865 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Yes, I am also having trouble with CAW. Everything has worked normally except for essential parts...
    -Saving (Lots are saved with "warnings")
    -EIG... It won't let me open up any worlds!?! Gaaaaah!
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited November 2012
    I just asked Sim Guru Sarah to give whoever is fixing CAW a friendly nudge. :D

I'm ok at the mo' because I scrapped my last world and started again. I'm about a third of the way done so I've got lots of work to keep me busy. I can then import it into my game (using the renaming method) and start building lots (on the lots that haven't disappeared) and saving them to the bin. It's then I'll need EIG. I just hope they fix it soon though, it's a bit worrying. :?

I wonder if CAW works properly for the gurus?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top