Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Save Issues with Supernatural and Seasons CAW: Discussion and research thread.

Comments

• EvilsideEvilside Posts: 4 New Member
    edited November 2012
    I'm not having any trouble saving in eig for some reason,just the game crashing after load screen but minimizing the load screen works everytime,and i can create no problem.Sucks to have to do a work around instead of a real fix but happy at least this works.Still having the problems getting the game to install so i can test play.Forget Seasons,i'm so ready for Sims 4 with a supported CAW and one that works better lol.I wish an awsome CAW could have been an expansion instead of some of the ones we have.jimo.
  • WarpedWorldWarpedWorld Posts: 28
    edited November 2012
    Okay, I'm spending the whole day, uninstalling everything for The Sims 3, and reinstalling it, so I can get my world finished and looking good. I'll let you guys know if that works!

sidelogou.png

Estimated Release Date: November 16th.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • GlamSugarGlamSugar Posts: 103
    edited November 2012
    Except going to a Zen Master you expect to be learning patience and acceptance of the lame things in life, a game we expect fun and excitement... not frustration and aggravation.

Yep. Consequently to all I said, The Sims is by an enormous margin the least fun game I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. The moment another company expends the time and resources to make something similar, I will be gone for good. Unfortunately as it stands EA has an absolute monopoly on my favourite genre.

I've heard countless simmers say the same. The market is wide open, aching for a competitor, and it will hopefully one day make that competitor very rich, and EA one 100th as frustrated as I've had to be over a literally constant stream of shoddy code plastered over with sickly bright marketing.

Edit: Also, do not worry too much, your lots themselves are possibly not corrupt. Some investigations by granthes on MTS:
    And.. It looks like what is happening is that the <length>xxx</length> entry for each of the <PackagedFile/> sections is being calculated incorrectly by the program that wrote those files. Each of the packages and PNG files in the sims3pack is there in its entirety, but the length of each one is short by between 100 and 750 bytes. This adds up to a bunch of incorrect offsets.

I suspect that the game cannot load these files correctly (although I won't test that because I don't want to damage my game setup just now)

I also suspect that someone with just a touch of programming skill could easily write a utility to fix these corrupted sims3pack files. Just scan for either "DBPF" or "PNG" and use that for the offsets. Scan to the NEXT one and subtract one offset from the other to get the length.

http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=490209

I'd say that's a relief, but it puts me in a worse mood because I deleted lots and saved so many times. Thanks for the info, tea. I was really hoping to finish this world around the release of Seasons, but I'll have to back off now. I'll keep an eye on that thread too.
  • ularik001ularik001 Posts: 64 Member
    edited November 2012
    One thing is certain: This is The Sims Team working, and people will just have to sit this out. It could take weeks to see a fix, but it's much more likely to take over a month.

Compared with every other gaming franchise I have ever hitched my wagon to, this one is the buggiest and the slowest to address issues - when it addresses them at all. I have learned it is unrealistic to expect any sort of agile response to a problem with TS3 - let alone a tool like CAW - no matter how serious the issue is.

Do not expect this to be solved in days. Be skeptical (but hope) that you will see a fix within weeks. Be prepared to be sidelined, long after you've given up completely, by a solution anywhere between now and next June. The problems with World Adventures nearly always breaking family trees took something in the vicinity of 9 months to even get a partial fix.

Think of EA as your Zen master. They are teaching you the art of patience by whacking you repeatedly with a big stick of disappointment.

Perhaps if EA would simply ignore the "public clamor" for additions, upgrades, add-ins, expansions and content and more fully test their patches and upgrades, etc. on their OWN systems and set-ups BEFORE making them available to the general public, a lot of this grief could be avoided.

Haste in development usually causes most of the problems!
  • WarpedWorldWarpedWorld Posts: 28
    edited November 2012
    Working CAW off of 1.39 version does not work... I guess we all get to wait.

sidelogou.png
  • tea_and_bluestea_and_blues Posts: 889 Member
    edited November 2012
    Perhaps if EA would simply ignore the "public clamor" for additions, upgrades, add-ins, expansions and content and more fully test their patches and upgrades, etc. on their OWN systems and set-ups BEFORE making them available to the general public, a lot of this grief could be avoided.

The economic incentive to do that when they face no competition, and when games that are much cheaper to develop - like EA's Playfish portfolio - rake in heaps of cash compared to massive projects like The Sims 3 (or 4), is from little ranging to none.
  • EllorienneEllorienne Posts: 26
    edited November 2012

RAM: 8GB
    Processor: Quad-core
    (basically it's a gaming computer, but I can't remember the specs off the top of my head)

Affected world files: 1
    World file size: 25.18MB
    CC: 1 CAP pattern
    Default Replacement rabbit-hole recolours; _IMG resources added to save file before export.
    Symptoms: World exports just fine, and says it is installed, but the world file does not go in the installed worlds folder, and will not show up in the new game drop down menu. I tried this with a factory reset, and then also by adding the .world file to the installed worlds manually by extracting it from the sims3pack folder.

Game and CAW patched to most recent patch/download.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited November 2012
    ^ I have this issue as well, Ellorienne. I think everyone is waiting for the gurus to sort this out. :D
  • fearywingsfearywings Posts: 6
    edited November 2012
    Gotta go to work but....I downloaded Seasons from Origin. Installed it. Opened CAW...and MY LOTS ARE STILL MISSING!!!!!

I didn't bother with EIG because for me, with my specific problem that no-one else seems to be having, it doesnt matter if I go in a build again since all my work is gone anyway.

Let me know how you guys went with the Seasons EP.

This has officially ruined my day.
  • CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited November 2012
    :(

At least you've got seasons! I have to wait till the 16th. :cry:
  • Kayla0440Kayla0440 Posts: 94 New Member
    edited November 2012
    So before I go through this update fiasco again can anyone confirm or deny if the new patch solved the problems? Seems to be bad news so far judging from the above post ^^. =(

EDIT: I also have to wait till the 16th to buy it! Stinks haha. Its when the hubby gets paid though =P
  • NuanceNWNuanceNW Posts: 53 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Kayla0440 wrote:
    So before I go through this update fiasco again can anyone confirm or deny if the new patch solved the problems? Seems to be bad news so far judging from the above post ^^. =(

EDIT: I also have to wait till the 16th to buy it! Stinks haha. Its when the hubby gets paid though =P

Uninstalled previous CAW.
    Downloaded CAW from this site, installed
    Opened and edited older world - works
    Exported World, installed world - fails

The Worldbuilder.ini shows the CAW download from this site as of 13, Nov 2012 as still being WBVersion = 1.18.5.019037, which is the same as the 1.42 patch.

So doesn't look like the CAW was updated on the day of the Seasons EP release.
    Hopefully it will receive an update to solve the myriad of problems.

I mean it's fun endlessly editing a World, but at some point you just want to play the world with Sims in it. I am not going to alter the world to a package file, I will continue that endless world editing until the devs make CAW work right.
  • Kayla0440Kayla0440 Posts: 94 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Agreed! I am so anxious to get playing in my world! I just refuse to update after losing my entire world the last time haha. I was sooo lucky and managed to open it ONCE to upload my custom lots before it kicked the corrupted bucket. LOL All is well in the end though, learned a lot in CAW since then so my world has only improved :)

EDIT: I almost forgot. I found this today and it MIGHT help. It helped me. I was unable to install my exported worlds after the patch. And I mean fresh worlds I just created, not the one I lost. Anyways, I did this and I was able to install.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/30/206660.page
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2012
    Kayla wait!!! Just installing the ep is not going to fix it like it might fix some of the game issues - as Creators always had to update with the patch and then again with the ep unless they came out the same day - then it was just once. But I believe it was with pets a patch came out early and CAW did not work right for people who updated - same as this time, and it also did not work any better just installing the ep - it wasn't until another patch just for CAW and the store patch for all the furniture before it worked right as CAW needs more than just the game will seeing the ep is all about the outside. Just wait until the creators that know CAW well like Tea here, say it's good to go and save yourself anymore heartache and grief.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Mfaw81PMfaw81P Posts: 114 Member
    edited November 2012
    Processor: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    RAM: 8GB
    Video Card: GeForce 8800GTS
    Your CAW is LAA: Yes

Affected world files: Only been working on one world
    World file size: 47,135KB
    CC: none

My error is that 2 parks, a horse ranch, the graveard, and a fishing lot are read only and cannot be saved.

...I am thankful that EA has inadvertently taught me more about my computer then I ever could have hoped for...

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited November 2012
    Just a small nudge... :mrgreen:
  • MsPrissy88MsPrissy88 Posts: 3,122 Member
    edited November 2012
    AngelJaz1 wrote:
    grrr. jup same problem for me :(:(:(

putting in all my houses and community lots..partly built them in EIG.. (gladly i always saved those with EXPORT)...save...EIG end...= Map = Blank :(

sadly hours working on it for nothing...

but glad..it seems it wasn't my fault^^.

ah..i wish i wouldn't have patched my game today (and reinstalled CAW.

hopefully they can fix this soon

I think a LOT of us wish we wouldn't have patched our game - and reinstalled CAW. I am so at a loss ..... but, I also don't want to have to uninstall, everything just to get my game BACK to *before* the patch. I didn't have any problems before the latest patch.
    Origin ID -- MsPrissySim

My Twitch Channel

YouTube
  • AngelJaz1AngelJaz1 Posts: 53 New Member
    edited November 2012
    sooo it seems even after relese from seasons its same old problem with caw? (no new caw version?)
  • DigstarDigstar Posts: 308 Member
    edited November 2012
    Mfaw81P wrote:

...I am thankful that EA has inadvertently taught me more about my computer then I ever could have hoped for...

:lol: Love that comment and can really relate to it :D

I'm just cruising the forums atm to see if CAW is in a better state of repair before I get back into it again. Seems to be less reports of problems I guess, but then again, a lot of people may just be playing Seasons instead of creating atm.

The phrase "is it safe" from Dustin Hoffman's movie Marathon Man comes to mind :lol::lol:
  • NuanceNWNuanceNW Posts: 53 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Digstar wrote:
    Mfaw81P wrote:

:lol: Love that comment and can really relate to it :D

I'm just cruising the forums atm to see if CAW is in a better state of repair before I get back into it again. Seems to be less reports of problems I guess, but then again, a lot of people may just be playing Seasons instead of creating atm.

I think most people have learned the "workarounds" from this thread to using CAW for Seasons, they're not optimal or problem free but seem workable enough for each type of issue.

Am betting in few weeks after an expansion pack like this, CAW will get some friendly attention.
  • kylebrentwoodpkkylebrentwoodpk Posts: 16
    edited November 2012
    I am going to try the thing about minimizing. This is what happens to me:
    it occasionally says that it isn't compatible with the sims3, but I can just reinstall it until it works.
    The major problem is in eig it is fine loading the sims3, then when it is loading my town it will say that the game has stopped working.
  • kylebrentwoodpkkylebrentwoodpk Posts: 16
    edited November 2012
    It worked when I minimized the sims 3!! Thanks so much you are amazing.
  • DigstarDigstar Posts: 308 Member
    edited November 2012
    So far so good. CAW & EIG seem to be working well for me though I noticed when exiting EIG, it takes a lot longer for the world to refresh/reload in CAW. Only problem was getting the world exported and working. I installed my exported world but it didn't show up. The below copy and paste however fixed this issue :D
    Kerim99 wrote:I had the same issue.

1. You must install your world but it won't install. But it adds two (or one) files in your DCBackup folder. You can find them really easy by sorting by date.

2. If you have two files,then you must turn one of your .package to a .world file.(It is a huge file, you will definitely recognize it.

3. Now you must put the .world file into
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds

4.You can rename your world if you want. The current name of your world is something like that 0x04513G7B...

5. Your world shoud be in the game now.

I hope it helps
    Thumbs up for Kerim99 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • RemmoRemmo Posts: 597 Member
    edited November 2012
    Just came back to Sims last night after several months away and installed Seasons. CaW seemed to be working fine for me, but I only built for an hour, so may have just been a lucky blip.

How are people finding CaW after they have installed the Seasons EP?
  • fearywingsfearywings Posts: 6
    edited November 2012
    Remmo wrote:
    Just came back to Sims last night after several months away and installed Seasons. CaW seemed to be working fine for me, but I only built for an hour, so may have just been a lucky blip.

How are people finding CaW after they have installed the Seasons EP?

Mine is still broken. And I am officially p-o'd.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top