Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

(Seasons) Guide to Seasonal Lot Markers

Comments

• Options
    cherid87120cherid87120 Posts: 2,823 Member
    edited November 2012
    niac1234 wrote:
    I found that the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Caravan and the Fairy Aboretum Will work really well in festival lots. Is it O.k. to put these on my festival lots that will be changing... as long as I make them in common mode?

If you place them in common mode they will always be appearing. If you assign them to a season, they will only appear during that season.
  • Options
    murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited November 2012
    This is a splendid guide! Thank you, Simguru! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    sims0987sims0987 Posts: 12 New Member
    edited November 2012
    So i heard that sims can catch seasonal sickness' like a cold or allergies. I know that the allergies can be treated, but i was just wondering that when kids/teens are sick they can miss a day of school, or when adults also have the flu if they can call in sick to work :?:

:lol:thanks :D

-Sims0987
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    edited November 2012
    I really love the seasonal lot marker! I gave it a bit of a test run and then re-read the guide... I'm all ready to install seasons and start making those festival lots now! :D

After re-reading the guide, I'm impressed with how the gurus have tried to account for every possibility and made the marker pretty idiot proof (thanks for that :wink: ).

Thank you gurus, the SLM is such a great idea! :D
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I really love the seasonal lot marker! I gave it a bit of a test run and then re-read the guide... I'm all ready to install seasons and start making those festival lots now! :D

After re-reading the guide, I'm impressed with how the gurus have tried to account for every possibility and made the marker pretty idiot proof (thanks for that :wink: ).

Thank you gurus, the SLM is such a great idea! :D

I think it is great how I can now decorate my Sims lot for fall and winter and not have to redecorate. I can't want to see how my lot will transition to the new season and the decorations and furnishings that I set up on the lot change with the season!

I think it is a great tool and I agree it is idiot proof!
  • Options
    asdfthesimsasdfthesims Posts: 295 New Member
    edited November 2012
    When do lots change modes during game play?
    For Construction mode, the lot will change at 3am on the 1st day of every season.

For Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter, the lot will change at 3am on the 2nd day of every season. The one exception to this rule is if a lot has no objects placed in Common mode on it, in which case the lot will switch to Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter mode on the 1st day of the season.

Did you mean to say Construction mode instead of Common mode? I just want to make sure.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited November 2012
    my lot marker doesn't work properly. I want to use it on my home lot to have my home decorate automatically; but I can't figure out how to do it and all this is confusing me(not good with comprehension) XD

I can't select construction after selecting set season.
  • Options
    MAnatomyMAnatomy Posts: 460 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Oh man...I was excited to make lots for my seasons. I just read this like 3x and I just confused my brain to pieces . . . .

:(
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Finally got it!

But now my seasonal lot maker disappeared' and my lot is stuck saying "only one can be placed"

Anyway to fix this; I can't find the marker I placed down.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Finally got it!

But now my seasonal lot maker disappeared' and my lot is stuck saying "only one can be placed"

After entering buydebug, you must click on "BUILD" to see the marker. If you are in Buy mode you won't be able to see it.
  • Options
    Wreck_DiverWreck_Diver Posts: 691 Member
    edited November 2012
    It appears at present that the Build Mode Terrain Paints cannot be rotated with the seasons when adding the Seasonal Lot Marker to Sim residences.

I was thinking of a visual seasonal shift of my Sims' residence using the Bluegrass lawn during the Spring, the Hidden Springs Grass during the Summer, the Autumn Grass in the Fall, and the Dry Grass in the Winter.

Is there any possibility of the Terrain Paints eventually being added to the seasonal transitions?
    There but for the Grace of God go I.

http://www.facebook.com/PublicSafetyDiver
  • Options
    niac1234niac1234 Posts: 6,735 Member
    edited November 2012
    niac1234 wrote:
    I found that the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 Caravan and the Fairy Aboretum Will work really well in festival lots. Is it O.k. to put these on my festival lots that will be changing... as long as I make them in common mode?

If you place them in common mode they will always be appearing. If you assign them to a season, they will only appear during that season.

I know, but that's not my question. Certain types of lots will stop functioning the way they should when rabbitholes are placed, what I want to know is
    A. Are festival lots like those lots
    B. does the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 caravan have same affects on lots as other rabbit holes do?
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Finally got it!

After entering buydebug, you must click on "BUILD" to see the marker. If you are in Buy mode you won't be able to see it.

Unfortunately I can't see it in build either.I have it placed and set to change with each seasons; then I exited out and quit playing for the day.Now I want to go in and add some furniture and the marker is gone.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited November 2012
    Finally got it!

Unfortunately I can't see it in build either.I have it placed and set to change with each seasons; then I exited out and quit playing for the day.Now I want to go in and add some furniture and the marker is gone.

You must turn buydebug back on each time you exit the game in order to see the marker.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited November 2012
    By the way, does anybody know how future objects are applied once you place a marker and exit buydebug? For example, I have the marker on a residential lot. Once I close the game or exit buydebug and want to add objects to my home, do they automatically go into common mode?

From what I can tell, it appears all post-marker objects are only applied to the current season. Which means you can't quickly open buy mode and place a basic object without switching first to common mode?
  • Options
    msarbezmsarbez Posts: 80 Member
    edited November 2012
    I am so glad that I stumbled upon this post!

After about a little trial-and error, I got it. And it was just in time, because in my own world, I knocked down the huge art gallery to make a place for the park grounds, and was looking to create another. I used the seasonal marker to allow the "exhibits" change with the seasons. So far I just left one room to change: Spring for French stuff, Summer for Egyptian, and Fall for Chinese (with a little Japanese mixed in there, just because I had some cool stuff! :D I'm actually trying to figure out just want I want to add for Winter!
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited November 2012
    IceyJ wrote:
    By the way, does anybody know how future objects are applied once you place a marker and exit buydebug? For example, I have the marker on a residential lot. Once I close the game or exit buydebug and want to add objects to my home, do they automatically go into common mode?

From what I can tell, it appears all post-marker objects are only applied to the current season. Which means you can't quickly open buy mode and place a basic object without switching first to common mode?

I didn't try it yet, but I think you should just test it. If you save your game before testing, there is no risk at all.

I assume any objects added to your residential lot will go to common mode, and that "testingcheatsenabled on" is required to access the seasonal layers of the lot. I'm just not certain if you should always use the "testingcheatsenable on" in order to "lock objects" to common mode before exiting build/mode. Once you try, I think you will figure it out.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited November 2012
    Just read this very helpful guide again, and am about to prepare one of my community lots.

There is just one thing I don't quite understand;

What is the difference between marking a lot "Festival grounds" and just adding the seasonal marker to a lot branded as ie "big park". Will festivals require the "festival grounds" category, and if so, what will I actually miss if I go with the "big park" category?

I plan to use the marker on a field that is already marked as a "Dog park", and I still want sims to bring their pet there, even if there will also be festival content. Is that not possible?
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Faith_AndhopeFaith_Andhope Posts: 4,468 Member
    edited November 2012
    I just tried constructing some roofed areas using columns on the festival grounds at Central Park in Sunset Valley. Following are my observations/questions/issues.

Your Build/Buy list on the first page says columns can be used on a rotational basis from season to season, but any columns I placed automatically went into common, not the season I was editing. Just an fyi on that I was editing in Fall and did not switch to common, but when placed they went transparent and were locked into common mode. I now understand why roofs would stay in common mode, but specifically your list says columns can be used seasonally.

The reason I was trying to construct some open shelters was to give Sims a place to get in out of the weather without constructing entire enclosed buildings. Specifically I thought I would place a column-supported roof over the picnic tables and over the food booths because the vendors stand in the weather all the time and it drives me nuts.

Having a common mode year-round shelter over the picnic tables is fine and I don't even care if it is there year-round over the food booths, but it doesn't keep the rain off them. Even though they are standing under a roof, the rain continues to pour on them. I don't understand this. I enclosed the entire picnic area under a ceiling/roof using columns and had a Sim couple there. When I went out of build/buy mode I checked to see if it was working. One Sim had on outerwear and she had no rain running off her. But other sims standing under the shelter, who were not wearing outerwear, were soaked and had rain running off them. This makes no sense.

How can we keep the weather off the food vendors?

And why doesn't a rood (with ceiling tiles) not keep weather off a Sim just because there are no walls? I have put up shelters with roofs only - no walls - before, for the vampires to have a place to go in out of the sun and that worked. If a no-wall roof can keep sun off, then it should be able to protect from rain, hail and snow at least. I don't expect it to protect them from cold and heat. But it shouldn't allow weather elements to still be affecting them.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    IceyJ wrote:

When you enter build/buy mode you will be editing the current season. If you want to edit common mode or a different season, you must first choose it on the marker.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited November 2012
    I might be blind... but wear are the tents for the festival lot when I'm building my own? buy/buil... what folder?
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    @anette: Build mode. Community Misc. Objects.
  • Options
    anettesbanettesb Posts: 39,168 Member
    edited November 2012
    thanks
    🌺 streaming at https://www.twitch.tv/lady_anette 🌻come join the Sylvan legacy, and help control their life. 🌳
  • Options
    Gmn19665Gmn19665 Posts: 8 New Member
    edited November 2012
    Thank you Graham for the great Tutorial in the Lot Markers.

I undertstand it...but with a question.

So I set my lot up with different furniture and deocor based on my liking for each of the Seasons. And then I start playing. Its Summer....my Sim has a fire and she loses a table. I buy a new one. Or I want to fulfill my Sims wish for a Pinball Machine. Will that table or Pinball Machine show up in every season? Meaning is gameplay mode considered "common". I hope so. It would be a hassle to keep having to rebuy that same item whenever the season changes.

Oh...and can we disable "testingcheatsenabled true" when we are done seasoning our lot?

Thank you!
    Nikki
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    enkeli63enkeli63 Posts: 6,637 Member
    edited November 2012
    I just wanted to inform you (because it might be a bug, or either way, I think it needs to be fixed) that ghosts can use items that have been hidden with the Seasonal Lot Marker.

I had an ice cream maker for summer time and a ghost used it in the fall to make ice cream. The ice cream maker still looked invisible, but after the ghost made ice cream, all the sims in the house autonomously helped themselves to ice cream (it looked like they were grabbing ice cream cones from thin air!). Also, the counter top got messy from it. Sims could not use the machine themselves while it's hidden, but the ghost could, and all the sims in the house went and ate ice cream after the ghost made it.

There's nothing wrong with my Seasonal Lot Marker--everything works exactly as it should. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the ice cream maker (no doubt, because it's the most annoying premium content ever made :twisted: ) or if this is an issue with ghosts--perhaps ghosts can use other items that are hidden with the Seasonal Lot Marker? I haven't noticed her using any others just yet, but I will let you know if I see it. The ghost is an NPC ghost, by the way, not a controllable ghost.

I have since deleted the stupid ice cream maker because I hate it. I thought it would be okay to have it for just a couple days of the year, but if ghosts can go and use it, I'm better off getting rid of it completely! Boy, I wish I could get my money back on that thing...
    OriginID Starwing6
    my Sims 4 story blog: http://www.starwingsims.com/

Join SimsWriters.com to promote or enjoy fan-generated content (stories, videos, music, etc) celebrating The Sims.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top