Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Sims and Friends: Share Your Stories!!

Comments

• MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    @Miki : Ya, I've never had a pressing need for one myself. A call center job way in my past plus my sister constantly inviting me over and then ignoring me to text and play on her phone the whole time turned me off from the things (now I have to deal with my BFF playing Ingris the whole time we are on vacations together... argh!) So I don't foresee me paying an extra bill for something I don't really need. Sometimes I feel like the last person on earth with a landline. ^_^;;

I actually talk about my screenname early on in my blogaversary post, but I didn't think to mention the avatar. Of course they look like M&Ms, but at a larger resolution, the letters are slightly different, and I'm quite sure the forum would turn them to "plum" if I tried to type them, so that probably gives you an idea of what that is... I found the parody hilarious and just decided to use that as my avatar on pretty much everything from then on.

I see. Thanks.. Yeah aside from the addiction potential, I don't need the extra bill. The dumb phone is through the carrier that has (had) the "Gold Rewards" after spending the first $100. Now i can, in theory, load the phone with as little as ten bucks (plus applicable sales tax) and it gets me 52 minutes with one year from date of purchase to use them.) In practice, I load a couple-three times a year.

Cheap! (just like good ol' Mad magazine!

That and I don't like to talk. (one would never guess from this post!)

Nice tale with the avatar and screen name. I wish I had more imagination when picking my screen name but I was in "facefreak" mode and used my given name.
    But not too "personal" so as to violate the rules.
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    @ValoisFulcanelli .. republished blog one and 2 and space used went from 11 to 9.7 .. TY SO MUCH!!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    edited April 2016
    @lisabee2, thanks for dropping by and looking at my story, I live in Wales, UK and I couldn't believe it but for about 10 mins it was snowing...yes snowing in April almost May but weather has gone back to normal lol which is wet and cold

@Lckygrl1975 :) I have a friend in London who has been crying the blues over the snow .. I would be too!!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    On the topic of freak weather patterns, right at the end of March, just days before it turning to April, we got a snowfall here that made everyone go Whaaaaaaaaaaat?! Did you get the memo up there that it's spring now? The other day playing my Cat Chronicles save, I was really surprised to get a freak "warm day" in the middle of my in-game winter! I had no idea that they had some "freak weather" days programmed into Seasons like that... I found it oddly endearing, since it's just a reality that they (annoyingly) happen. Right now we've been going through a bought of going from sunny 80F/26.6C one day to rain and wind the next to back to sunny and warm to rain again the next day... guess it's feeling particularly on-again off-again at the moment.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Snow in March and April? Um, yeah. Sigh. I gave up on spring 20 years ago after moving to this frozen wasteland...
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Lckygrl1975Lckygrl1975 Posts: 1,582 Member
    @ra3rei, the weather has difinately changed over the years but snow grrrr at least it stopped. Hope you are well :)

@lisabee2, Lucky it didn't last long, the snow but seeing it was a shock to say the least but today its sunny but cold :)
    PPHeader_zpsacc5170a.jpg</a>
  • Lckygrl1975Lckygrl1975 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Hi Guys,

Cover4_zps4igbrb59.jpg

Painswater Point
    8.4 Elvira's Interview http://pp.lckysim.co.uk/?p=4627
    PPHeader_zpsacc5170a.jpg</a>
  • ValoisFulcanelliValoisFulcanelli Posts: 672 Member
    Jes2G wrote: »
    You code? Nice! I learned the basics of HTML in school like 10 years ago. It was fun, but I didn't practice after I graduated so my knowledge has declined a bit.
    I code, after a fashion :mrgreen: Like you, I taught myself the basics of HTML (4.1 in my case) waaaay back, and I still use that. I can knock up a universal stylesheet, which comes in handy for saving time, but other than that it's all pretty basic. I write all of my chapters with HTML tags included, so it comes naturally to me now to just type things like this from Mortimer's Best Man speech:

htmlexample.jpg

It might look confusing to the reader, but those em-dashes and the italic/emphasis coding just sort of auto-translate in my brain so that what I see is what the reader sees on the final webpage, which is this:
    "Valois came into my life about two years ago, and when I say that he now feels like another father to me... I really mean it. So much so that I'm proud to refer to him as 'my stepdad' when I'm speaking to other people. And when I'm speaking directly to Valois himself"—here, Mort looked at Valois and his voice softened—"I'm proud to call him Papa."
    Mainly, I have a base HTML page that's already set up, so I copy that into a new file and start writing between the <body> tags, just changing the relevant titles and links. Since one of my protags is French, I also have a quick copy/paste file in another tab (I use a tabbed text editor) with italic-tagged French phrases—mostly endearments—that he uses often.
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    @ValoisFulcanelli .. republished blog one and 2 and space used went from 11 to 9.7 .. TY SO MUCH!!
    Excellent! That's brilliant, well done :) It might not seem like a huge amount, but if you keep doing that over the course of your writing, you'll be able to squeeze many more chapters-worth of images out of that storage space before you run out.
    tfb.jpg
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    Oh wow all this talk about resizing images makes me want to go and batch edit my screenshots :D I confess to using PNG's because that's just the format my screenshotting program saves the pics as. They are all 1000px in width and 600px in height but I'm not sure how big one image usually is. I do dislike stories which have lot's of huge images that take forever to load. Especially when they are forum posted because the thread will be jumping around while the pictures are loading... this is actually something that will make me stop reading the story...

I really hope I'm not guilty of this :o I normally use about 20 screenshots in one of my Vee is for Vortex chapters and maybe 10 in my Amazon challenge story. And it's also blog posted so no thread jumping... but still I should check out how big the files are. Maybe I can convert them to JPG (since photoshop has this handy image processor).
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    [ ... ] I should check out how big the files are.
    Here's your answer ;)

julyveetest01.jpg
    I used this shot from your latest chapter for this quick test. Although you're hosting externally on Imgur, your images did take quite a while to load for me in full. Each time I scrolled down to the next image, I had to wait while it finished loading, but by the time I was about a third of the way down the page, the rest of them had loaded.

tfb.jpg
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    I definitely need to learn css again @ValoisFulcanelli. That would make things much easier for me!
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
    edited April 2016
    @Jes2G My stylesheet is so simple it ain't even funny, but it does the trick for what I want. I still have all my old HTML, DHTML, XHTML, and CSS 'Teach Yourself' books lying around in the spare room, but I tend to just learn as much as I need in order to do what I want, then I don't bother learning any more :D

@everyone I hope you're having a good week. Despite the lousy weather we've been having here of late (UK over here) today it's relatively fine, and that means it's... *insert dramatic music here* ... tree pollen time. And that means I'm in utter misery today :'( My eyes are streaming, my nose is snuffly, and I'm sneezing all over the place.

Aaaaaaanyway! I've begun a new little Tumblr-only story: Argentum Lucem ("Silver Lights") which is the backstory for Elsanine and Arcturus from my main story. I wanted to explore the forbidden relationship between a fae and a vampire, which was so frowned on by Elsanine's fae kin, so I went right back to the beginning where they met and I'm going to be posting little updates on Tumblr as and when I get the inspiration for them (aka: there won't be a regular update schedule).

The first two sections are up, 1 here and 2 here. You can follow or bookmark the Argentum Lucem tag on Tumblr for more updates when I make them. (I've set that tag link to chronological order, so the first post is at the top if you just want to read them in order. As always with Tumblr, click the images to view them full size.)

Here's the banner, just to add a bit of pretty :)

argentumlucembanner.jpg
    tfb.jpg
  • xMike_BxxMike_Bx Posts: 222 Member
    It's heeeere!

Episode 8 of season 1 of murder valley sims is up!

Go go go!
    Read/comment!

https://murdervalleysims.wordpress.com
  • gurllivinlargegurllivinlarge Posts: 91 Member
    edited April 2016
    @everyone Good Morning, Its been a long time since I've been on here. I have been busy with school and other priorities. With the Spring semester done and two weeks off from school, I was able to push out two chapters.

About IMAGE size:

I was able to read 1-4 posts about image sizes and how some stories have massive sizes. I guess it all depends on a readers preference. I personally don't mind the quantity of a photo or the size. If I can see what I am reading about then I'm okay. If a story grabs me then I'm sold even if the photo is extreme large. I do suggest to those who love using large images, try to make a powerpoint (I think) it would change the effect of the story. I'm still looking to go that route.

Or perhaps reduce how much images you are planing to post in a chapter. Wordpress does have varying options where you can combine photos. Depending on the theme photos can be readjusted.

My images on my site use to be HUGE but I re-sized them (which are still fairly big) because I realized the flow of reading would serve as a challenge. I honestly don't mind re-sizing my images if its too big because I don't want my reader uncomfortable. Even as of late I noticed the images were too big and I'm thinking of resizing them.

I hope everyone is having a good day and Happy reading and Simming :)

Relax, Play, have fun!
    Julyvee94 wrote: »
    Oh wow all this talk about resizing images makes me want to go and batch edit my screenshots :D I confess to using PNG's because that's just the format my screenshotting program saves the pics as. They are all 1000px in width and 600px in height but I'm not sure how big one image usually is. I do dislike stories which have lot's of huge images that take forever to load. Especially when they are forum posted because the thread will be jumping around while the pictures are loading... this is actually something that will make me stop reading the story...

@Julyvee94 : Ya, that's always an issue I have when I'm trying to get a new update on a forum-hosted story for the index, as well. I have to sit there and wait for the whole page of the thread to load (not just the one new chapter post!) just because if I don't, it'll be moving around all over the place and I can't figure out where the direct comment link is going to. >_> Add in the fact most forum-hosted stories don't even include a table of contents on the opening post so you can skip through the pages and pages of comments to get to the next actual story chapter, which is another thing I find a bit of an annoyance.

sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    @ValoisFulcanelli : I write directly in HTML code too! Just basic HTML, not CSS, but still... it feels weird to me not to write in HTML (or on forums, directly into BBCode). I have a play-by-post story I write with someone over Google Docs, and I even write that in HTML code out of habit, and after posting it on the doc, have to go through and convert all my italic and bold tags and such into the "proper" formatting for her. ^_^;;

New story? *perks up* You should go submit it... *winky face*
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    @ValoisFulcanelli thanks for the test! Looks like I should convert after all :) It will be a lot of work but loading times annoy me on other sites so I don't want them on mine :) Thanks again for the help!

@Mastressalita yeah true if I am a new reader on a forum posted story with lets say 50 pages I'm gonna have to do a lot of scrolliing to find these updates :( but some do have a toc so that's nice
    @mastressalita I'm not sure it's even worth adding to the index. It's probably going to be very sporadically updated (as are many of my Tumblr-only arcs; I have rather a lot of them!) so you'd be forever moving it onto the 'hiatus' list and back again (not to mention I'll probably forget to note here when it's updated, because Tumblr is a beast in and of itself and I usually only update there for the side-arcs).I have something like, er... six or seven of those side-stories, and they're often more like sets of scenes than fully-plotted stories.

@Julyvee94 You're more than welcome :)
    tfb.jpg
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    ra3rei wrote: »
    Snow in March and April? Um, yeah. Sigh. I gave up on spring 20 years ago after moving to this frozen wasteland...
    Snow in March and April is normal here too! We just had a couple of random snowfalls and hail showers this week! Though most of the actual snow on the ground has melted by now.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    Another block reply... XD Lots of things going on over here on my end...

@mastress: No I haven't, but now I'm going to go check her out. :3
    @Lckygrl1975 Lol, sorry it took so long... I'm doing great, and you?
    @lisabee2 Hehe, I keep disappearing... XD
    @ra3rei Hehe, it's second winter over here...
    @ValoisFulcanelli Your sims are so beautiful... *hugs*
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
    @ValoisFulcanelli : I get updates for Tumblr stories automatically though, via the Tumblr dashboard (just like I use Wordpress Reader or Blogger Reading List for automatic updates from those hosts). I don't even require an "update notification thread" these days, except for those hosts that don't have such "readers" built in to their host (like Weebly or some private hosts... then I just subscribe to their forum thread). I've been "all automated" for update notices for a long time now... still always the choice of the author, but just a thought!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • FayeShinomoriFayeShinomori Posts: 3,523 Member
    Ugh...Gikuyu and Moombi have some hopelessly unattractive children. The two eldest, Ratri and Fanus, have aged up into Teens and they are just hopeless. Ratri has a Cro-Magnon brow going on and her brother has lips that pretty much stretch as wide as his face. There are two more children left to put my hopes in, Parvati and Gula. This generation is not going to be one of the best, looks-wise. I truly fear there is no hope for any of them.
  • SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    @FayeShinomori Any way we could see them?
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
    @ValoisFulcanelli .. I am ecstatic! I re-posted all my blogs with the optimized pics and I went from 11 percent to 1.3 percent. Thank You! Thank you!! Thank you! It was a lot of work (took me all day) but now that it is done I am all smiles!!

@Julyvee94 .. it is worth it!

@Lckygrl1975 I am glad the snow is gone for you .. and sunny weather on the way. Our wet is finally gone too and we are to have a sunny weekend!

@SilentWolf101 .. HUGS
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger

Snow and Prince fly off to their destination honeymoon :)

https://lisabeesims.wordpress.com/2016/04/29/snow-white-6-the-honeymoon/

[img][/img]01-04-16_2-13-00nbspAM_zpsdwcik0iz.jpg

SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger