Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Port La Forks Revisted (Updating Published World - Work in Progress)

Shortly after Pets came out, I threw up my hands at playing my own hood -- between Late Night and Pets lots, there just wasn't room. Then EA announced Seasons and I was all "OH! Port La Forks with RAIN!!!!"

So, I dug out the old world files and went to work. I figured, if I was doing an update I was going to make it worth it. So far, I have been busy realigning roads; adding, changing and updating lots; and basically re-imagining and upgrading Forks. This version will be a little more picturesque.

Update: 22-OCT-2013
Ugh -- this first entry was old! And the pictures, well, the world doesn't really look like that anymore. I scrapped the original version altogether and rebuilt the whole world with a new height map and all. I will add some updated scenic and overhead/map shots later this week. But for now -- this is the area I am currently working on:

10402098874_bbaace5047.jpg

You can find more pics in the posts below.

Comments

• xenacullenxenacullen Posts: 3,474 Member
    edited September 2012
    GLachaille I so cant wait for your updated Port La Forks,
    are u gonna put it up on Mediafire?cause can download there.
    I love your Port La Forks world so beautiful & peaceful there. :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • GLachailleGLachaille Posts: 172 Member
    edited September 2012
    Okay -- I should be working but I wanted to drop a message here to let you all know the progress of the revised world.

Its going slowly but surely. I got Supernatural and played it last night and had a blast. I love the new game play and the new rabbit holes are perfect for PLF -- at least many of them. And the allusions to Twilight -- hysterical. I am thinking I might have to export the Swains and use them to test PLF.
    edited September 2012
    I love Supernatural & I cant wait for Seasons,I sooo cant wait for your revamped
    updated Port La Forks.I love Port La Forks,i'm living there & I love it so much...
    edited November 2012
    Is your Port La Forks on Mediafire or only on 4Shared & MTS?
    For some reason or another Port La Forks got deleted or something when the patch before Seasons came out & I think it was for Supernatural...
  • simlucysimlucy Posts: 90 Member
    edited November 2012
    I have your Port Ls Forks previously released and love it. I am patiently watching and waiting to see the changes for this one. I just watched the final movie and it was awesome. I love the Twilight series.
    edited November 2012
    I cant get Port La Forks readded back in my game,
    is it on Mediafire by any chance or just MTS or 4Shared cause I
    cant download from MTS or 4Shared to save my life.
    Some help please.Update on downloading Port La Forks
    I finally got Port La Forks downloaded back in my game
    & GLachaille I cant wait to see what new improved revamped
    Port La Forks...
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited December 2012
    You can find the original Port La Forks on Mod the Sims 3 website. Just search for the world name or the creator on this site and there is a link to the download.
    edited December 2012
    simlucy wrote:
    You can find the original Port La Forks on Mod the Sims 3 website. Just search for the world name or the creator on this site and there is a link to the download.
    I got it back & thats where im living,I love Port La Forks so much...
  • navkatnavkat Posts: 38 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Please update us on this. I can't wait to see the Seasons update.
    edited May 2013
    Afternoon all - yes, I know, I feel off the planet. Real life got to busy and I honestly didn't pull up the Sims for any reason for several months. I caught the bug again recently and went back to updating this world. I made quite a bit of progress -- new pictures below:

This image is one of the two areas I have been very actively working on:

8754707055_17438e6630.jpg
    Screenshot-147 by GLaChaille

The right side housing development has a more modern feel and Tillicum National Park has been expanded from the two lots in the original 6 or 7 lots (still undecided). So are - the ball park is back, a new festival park is at the center of the complex with an outdoor concert area. There are also restrooms and "campground" type area that will have places to tie horses, shower, picnic, bbq, fish, etc.

I have also been working on the "downtown" Forks area:

The new Asian Fusion lounge / club:

8755828236_4640ab4e42.jpg
    Screenshot-145 by GLaChaille

and the Apothecary:

8754706811_ac5fae5169.jpg
    Screenshot-146 by GLaChaille

The Pet store (which still needs work) -

8754696929_83f4167849.jpg
    Screenshot-76 by GLaChaille

The Hale Gas & Service Station

8755811764_4b7e80c161.jpg
    Screenshot-37 by GLaChaille

I plan to go in tonight and take more detailed pictures of area-- give you a better look at the world from a Sim's eye level.

Talk to you later.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2013
    Looking real nice GL -

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited May 2013
    Happy to see you back :P
    edited May 2013
    Happy Saturday evening on this lovely long weekend! I spent my Sims hours today fixing a few problems, doing a quality check on my new Trillium North Neighborhood and building one more house for the hood.

For those who just want to click there: http://www.flickr.com/photos/glachaille/sets/72157633695994376/

Trillium North Neighborhood from the air:
    8833259686_bae04b6940.jpg
    Trillium-NHood by GLaChaille, on Flickr

The NHood welcome sign:
    8833257226_9f6b2b0994.jpg
    Screenshot-201 by GLaChaille, on Flickr

204 Trillium Ave
    8833259470_89efcca6bf.jpg
    204 Trillium by GLaChaille, on Flickr

208 Trillium (EA House - renovated and redecorated)
    8833259000_19d8f7ed72.jpg
    208 Trillium by GLaChaille, on Flickr

274 Mayberry:
    8833258724_c8f9399e1d.jpg
    274 Mayberry by GLaChaille, on Flickr

275 Mayberry
    8833258318_e8becc9398.jpg
    275 Mayberry by GLaChaille, on Flickr

277 Mayberry
    8833258528_cce20ced45.jpg
    277 Mayberry by GLaChaille, on Flickr

216 Pine (EA House, fully renovated):
    8833259284_8b80d9b2a4.jpg
    216 Pine Avenue by GLaChaille, on Flickr

229 Ackerley
    8833257422_c8753afe43.jpg
    229 Ackerly by GLaChaille, on Flickr

230 Ackerley:
    8833257828_37750c6611.jpg
    230 Ackerly by GLaChaille, on Flickr

231 Ackerley:

8833257632_d269835042.jpg
    231 Ackerly Street by GLaChaille, on Flickr

232 Ackerley:
    8833258042_fdbd8e3e24.jpg
    232 Ackerly by GLaChaille, on Flickr
    edited May 2013
    Morning all! This is going to be a long note - sorry.

Just wanted to update you on the world. I spent quite a bit of time this weekend going through the finished sections and double checking them, finessing them, making sure NHood decor was all properly placed, etc. Then I exported the file to test in a real game and most everything worked well. I found a few routing issues though -- so I went to fix them and couldn't find a problem in the actual routing. GRRR. I spent hours trying different things -- I even installed it under a different Windows user profile just in case the problem was that it wasn't overwriting the problem file - even though I had uninstalled, deleted, and than added and installed the new version (I don't trust windows).

And that leads me to a confession ... the original Port La Forks was the first world I worked on and while I started over many times before I finished it -- there are still a lot of rookie mistakes in the CAW files. When I had decided to update the world, I stripped out as many as I could --but one thing I could not change was the height map setting -- see, started the world with the height map set to 100. And last night -- my annoyance with the original height map setting and the limitations finally won --

I started over -- sort of. I took the original height map and tweaked the wazoo out of it and started a new world file and then kept tweaking it. I painted it will all the base paints and then I broke out S3PE.

I had moved a special effect from a EA world for use in PLF (lighthouse FX), so I knew I could move layers from one world to another. So far, I have moved the neighborhood shown in the pictures above and the business around RT101.

Tonight's goal is to

#1 - finish tweaking the height map (add the hills for the park area, etc) and terrain paints.

#2 - get in the No-Camera and No-Sim routing.

#3 - Add in the first layer of trees / foliage

#4 - import downtown Forks areas (except for the routing issue area, that I will do from scratch) including the NHoods closest to downtown.

And now -- a question for anyone who read this far and who has the newer expansion packs -- anything post supernatural --

Is there game play / lots I need to be thinking of while building out the new terrain? I did create a festival park for Seasons -- but I haven't really thought of University (or whatever its name is) and definitely not the newest one --

For all those who have the original -- anything you would really like to see :-) or pet peeves :( you want addressed?

edited May 2013
    I may be wrong and I have not checked the books, but in the movie version, the little cottage for Edward and Bella was across a small creek. In the movie they jumped across it to get to the cottage. I was wondering if you could put a small creek between the main house and the cottage. That is if I'm not remembering wrong and it's not too much trouble.

I loved the original and I am sure I will love the revised version as well. You do wonderful work.
    edited May 2013
    Yep -- still goofing off -- but its lunch time now, so I am allowed.

Simlucy -- I had forgotten about that -- I re-scaped the area around the Cullen House, so adding a River should be easy. I am also moving the meadow, just haven't decided where yet.
    edited May 2013
    The only suggestion I have is make sure paths are 3 spaces wide or you will get a lot of problems with stuck horses and deer. Beware of space between fences and the game likes to spawn tourists and pets for some reason in often blocked off areas that have hedges or less than 3 spaces between things like tree lines and fences or houses and fences. Before we could have one space wide porches, now we need a minimum of 2 space wide porches and all doors and stairs have to be two spaces apart of lag city. Same with sidewalks in front of RH's they need two or more spaces - best is 3 spaces. If you hedge off lots and but use no gate, just use and opening it used to work with 2 open spaces, now sims will say their path is blocked if they don't have 3-4 space openings. Make sure to rebuild routing when you do anything. Remove a tree or something in the world area, and it will leave a hole and that hole will be the spot the game picks to spawn a tourists or animals - so if you remove trees or move them around, when done, always rebuild routing. It is the number one cause of game hesitations and lag. Be very careful of using moo (moveobjects on) now a days - it creates more problems than ever, so anything sims react with - do not use moo on or they will toss a routing failure at you. Also sims do not see the same space you create by using moo, they see what space exists if you did not use moo. So you may think they have plenty of room when they see the item blocking their space. Since pets all stairs at top and bottom need two spaces free otherwise they say they can't go up or down stairs.

If you are getting unexplained lag and have done everything I have listed already I suggest you check every single building where you used circular stairs, as exporting seems to slips the stair and the ground painting off kilter so all the circular stairs unless the sit in a fully open 3 x3 area, - which means no walls or rails at the top of the stairs, the sims thing the stairs are blocked. They see them turned even though we don't. Usually taking the stair out and then snapping them back in place, fixes this - unfortunately everyone who downloads the world will have to do this again after downloading - as some may be fine, but not all.

Only use no routing paint in spots you absolutely don't want sims to go. Do not use any around bodies of water as horse and unicorn groups spawn near any fresh water. They will get stuck and create horrible lag. the crashing kind. They need to be able to roam anywhere and every where, so the less no routing paint you use, the better.

Uni works like WA worlds, and is a complete world you go to. Nothing needed adding in the regular world as most things will not work properly in the regular world.

In SN - there are two taverns, the witches challenge arena, the elxir shop, the Vault of Intequity, the Fairy Arboreum that all need to be on lots. The taverns need to be remade with the LN bar though to satisfy me - but it is your world. That's all I can think of, I may be missing something though.
    I hope some of that helps you find possible laggy things.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited May 2013
    @Writin_Reg -- you are a wealth of information. :D I am seriously turning your post into a series of check lists. Funnily enough -- many of the things you mention I had noticed and it had frustrated me endlessly and now I know the fix for the problem.

I have been wondering about the various SN bars and if I could use LN bars in them -- good to know I can.

Your mentioning of routing paint raises a question for me. I generally tried to use as little as possible and never used it on the water areas that border my worlds, didn't really see the point. No camera yes -- but not "no Sim" since they couldn't go in the water anyway -- but Seasons changed that.

So -- any thoughts or tips to make sure the world is Seasons ready?
    edited May 2013
    Just wanted to post a quick update. Spent more time importing layers from the old version and tweaking them, getting the roads laid in, etc. I plan to do some tweaking on the height map during lunch today and will put it into CAW tonight. I did want to give you a peak at how Forks is taking (or retaking) shape. Warning-- its looks kinda scary to me. The Mountains need work - lots of it, but each version I have done since this one, I have liked less than this one. Hopefully today will be the lucky version.

8890638384_ec030d0ebb.jpg
    Screenshot-268 by GLaChaille, on Flickr
  • heat33330heat33330 Posts: 255 Member
    edited May 2013
    Well one of the lots that I can remember off the top of my head from Uni is the Javahut(Coffee Shop).

This world is so amazing too! I can't believe some of the works people can create with CAW! :shock:
    edited May 2013
    As far as the water goes - from my friend Rflong, she did nothing different for the water than she'd always done, and also never used routing paint in the water - at least last I knew. I know my sims have no trouble swimming in any of her worlds, even the old ones - besides with the store world Lucky Palms sims now can build lots over water - so that is all the more reason not to use any routing paint - then add to that the coming Island Paradise where sims will be building and boating all over the place - well you are not going to want any routing paint in the water or even on any islands - leave it all open for the best results or I think IP will be a problems seeing sims will be able to go to all island, there are new creatures that show up all over in the water - from mermaids to killer sharks to a giant Octopus - so I would THINK you want all the water and water access open. Also if one does not have the store world Lucky Palms, with IP you will still get the ability to build over water as well as build houseboats on water that can actually travel. The new ep has new build posts so resorts and homes can be built over the water.

Even on land I think the less no routing paint the better. If it was me - just the places you absolutely don't want sims to go should you even use it to lessen trouble as many of the pets like free reign and tend to get stuck - so what I would do is just concentrate on your camera routing the most and see how that goes. From the looks of things to come the new worlds really need to be as open as is possible to keep from getting stuck sims.

If in doubt though about anything - you could always ask Rflong, if anyone knows - she does. She is presently working on a new world called Beach City, so she is well aware of the latest info.

And yes you can use the late Night bars in any of the supernatural bars - the only bar that I would worry about using Late night bars are those with a Karoake stage on them as for some reason when we have a Karoake stage and a late night bar in the same lot sims can't buy all the drinks usually offered and no food at all. I have a feeling that is why EA made the Karoake bars just serve coffee. I even tried adding a pizza oven to one Karoake bar I put in some of my worlds and sims could not make pizza all of a sudden - but I had no problem adding the pizza oven to a bar with out Karoake. So unless EA fixes that, make sure you test any bar with a Karoake machine in it. The other stages work fine though.

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited May 2013
    Writin_Reg wrote:
    And yes you can use the late Night bars in any of the supernatural bars - the only bar that I would worry about using Late night bars are those with a Karoake stage on them as for some reason when we have a Karoake stage and a late night bar in the same lot sims can't buy all the drinks usually offered and no food at all. I have a feeling that is why EA made the Karoake bars just serve coffee. I even tried adding a pizza oven to one Karoake bar I put in some of my worlds and sims could not make pizza all of a sudden - but I had no problem adding the pizza oven to a bar with out Karoake. So unless EA fixes that, make sure you test any bar with a Karoake machine in it. The other stages work fine though.

Okay -- that is very helpful advice considering I did put a karaoke machine in my Fusion bar. :cry: Stupid question -- is the machine and the stage different or is the karaoke stage just a state with a karaoke machine? Can you tell I am grasping at straws? EA needs their head examined if it didn't occur to them to make sure these two particular items work together.

Gigi
    edited June 2013
    Tell me about it - you'd think someone from CA would know better and the downside of them at least not checking if things like this would conflict.

No the stage doesn't matter - it is just the Karoake machine itself. I have not tried adding a food register to see if they could at least get some food with that - where that came out with WA - well before we had the official tended bars on LN or the Karoake in AP. So you might try that - but I would guess perhaps it is the food itself and apparently certain mixed drinks the Karoake conflicts with.

ETA - There is always a ray of hope with a new EP coming out though - as perhaps they will fix that as I would imagine a resort ep would want these two items working properly as they would be both things I would want in my resort. Hopefully someone mentions this problem to them over on twitter - I can read what they write but when ever I try to post on twitter it just gives me a big hassle, so I stopped trying to use it - but notice if problems are brought up over there with the game the devs seem to notice and we sometimes get fixes for things mentioned on twitter that we never get mentioned here on any of the forums. I have no clue if they know already and just haven't been able to fix it.

I do know a lot of simmers do not seem to know about this as I downloaded a number of bars made for the store worlds that had the bars, karaoke, and pizza ovens. Apparently they did not test them or notice the drink types reduced and no food from the bars.
    Post edited by Unknown User on

In dreams - I LIVE!

edited June 2013
    I do have a Sims specific twitter account --I could give it a try. Just need to figure out what to say -- maybe write about it on my Sims Page blog and link to it.

Going back to work with on Port La Forks. Hopefully make some good progress.
    edited June 2013
    Happy Tuesday everyone -- just thought I would drop by on my lunch break and post an update. I did lots of tweaking over the weekend (lots of doing and undoing, too). I also had an EIG issue -- it wouldn't open -- took me all of Sunday afternoon and part of last night post work to figure it out and get it fixed. Sigh.

But I did get some things done and updated:

If you look to the left in this image, you can see I added some height variation to the Forks area -- it was just too flat. (ignore the brown uck... I fixed that but forgot to get another picture)

8900955062_545f5b854a.jpg
    Screenshot-272 by GLaChaille, on Flickr

Here is a newer aerial view of Forks -- I added some buildings back in and moved others -- I added a community indoor pool next to the school and created an arcade lot with a "under renovation" bowling alley (its the big lot in front of the school). You can also see that I have the "downtown" Forks NHood and the Sherwood NHood roads and some lots placed back into the game.

8958851668_b81408dab3.jpg
    Screenshot-290 by GLaChaille, on Flickr

Here is another shoot of the two new lots -- the pool and the arcade. Neither is been finished off yet -- making a few adjustments.

8958851510_5a6294cffc.jpg
    Screenshot-289 by GLaChaille, on Flickr

I also started working on Port Angeles -

I am still tweaking the road placement -- but here is one picture of one lot -- the as-of-yet-unnamed exclusive lounge --that is "done" but will need to have its location adjusted.

8958851048_165bb077e7.jpg
    Screenshot-286 by GLaChaille, on Flickr

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top