Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to install Windows using Boot Camp - step by step instructions with screenshots.

Comments

• kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited July 2013
    kirby356 wrote:
    Well I boot camped, and everything seemed normal. My saves were still there, my mods were intact. The only gripe I have is that it loads SO SLOWLY. I timed it, and it took 26 minutes to load into the game. And once I was in the game it was very slow as well, and the graphics weren't as good as they are on Mac. I even put he graphics on high! I was so sad, and I have no idea why it loads slower on Windows than it does on Mac. Ugh why me :cry:

EDIT: I just went into play the game, and it took a whopping 43 MINUTES TO LOAD!!! I have NEVER experienced this type of loading time before. On my Mac it took me 3 minutes max!

Also, the game is not going faster for me. I fixed the graphics issue, but now the game is just really laggy and slow. Is it because Windows is getting used to the game? What's happening here?!

And what happens when you move out The Sims 3 folder and let the game regenerate a new one? How long does it take to load and what is gameplay like?

I only copied over my Saves and Mods folder. But I'll see what happens if I take those out and start the game.

EDIT: So I took the "The Sims 3" folder out, and WOW! The game runs beautifully!!! Now should I put my Saves folder into the new Sims 3 Folder, along with my new mods folder?
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    edited July 2013
    Snapdragon wrote:
    The whole Sims 3 folder? Yes, this should work, although I wouldn't do this myself. It's a nice opportunity to start with a clean user folder, weed through things you don't need to and reinstall all the sims3packs in case they got cluttered up with old stuff.
    What I usually keep are these folders and files :
    - Saves (obviously)
    - SavedSims
    - Downloads (contains all sims3packs that I then install again)
    - Library (contains all houses and households in the lot bin)
    - Mods
    - userpresets.package (all saved recolours of objects, clothing and build mode items etc.)
    - Custom Music if you have any additional songs in there
    Everything else I let the game create again. Especially options.ini etc are different for MacOs and Windows. The game is likely to rate your computer better under Windows.

One word of caution, especially with regard to the Mods folder: It is better to transfer the files individually and not just plop the old folders into the new location. MacOs creates invisible files that contain information for the data structure that MacOs needs. Windows cannot read these, but some end in .package and so the game thinks that these are .package files like mods and tries to load them. This can cause the game to freeze, because they contain nothing that the game understands.
    So: Do not just plop the folders into your new game. Create a new Mods folder, a new Packages folder and transfer the files individually from the old folders to the new ones. Actually this is very important advice.

Hi Kirby, I wonder whether copying the whole mods folder is causing you some problems. See the quote above from Snapdragon, which I found on page two. I don't know whether this advice still applies but it might be worth ditching your original mods and re-downloading the latest versions from scratch, to be on the safe side.
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
    edited July 2013
    caspinwall wrote:
    Snapdragon wrote:
    The whole Sims 3 folder? Yes, this should work, although I wouldn't do this myself. It's a nice opportunity to start with a clean user folder, weed through things you don't need to and reinstall all the sims3packs in case they got cluttered up with old stuff.
    What I usually keep are these folders and files :
    - Saves (obviously)
    - SavedSims
    - Downloads (contains all sims3packs that I then install again)
    - Library (contains all houses and households in the lot bin)
    - Mods
    - userpresets.package (all saved recolours of objects, clothing and build mode items etc.)
    - Custom Music if you have any additional songs in there
    Everything else I let the game create again. Especially options.ini etc are different for MacOs and Windows. The game is likely to rate your computer better under Windows.

One word of caution, especially with regard to the Mods folder: It is better to transfer the files individually and not just plop the old folders into the new location. MacOs creates invisible files that contain information for the data structure that MacOs needs. Windows cannot read these, but some end in .package and so the game thinks that these are .package files like mods and tries to load them. This can cause the game to freeze, because they contain nothing that the game understands.
    So: Do not just plop the folders into your new game. Create a new Mods folder, a new Packages folder and transfer the files individually from the old folders to the new ones. Actually this is very important advice.

Hi Kirby, I wonder whether copying the whole mods folder is causing you some problems. See the quote above from Snapdragon, which I found on page two. I don't know whether this advice still applies but it might be worth ditching your original mods and re-downloading the latest versions from scratch, to be on the safe side.

Thanks! I deleted my mods folder, and installed the mods again along with creating a new mods folder. Also, I dragged out some of my CC from MTS and put in the new folder, which I don't think will cause issues. I will go in the game and see how it pans out.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited July 2013
    @caspin - thanks for digging out snapdragon's response :)

@kirby - that's why the very first thing you should try when having problems is moving out the folder. It instantly eliminates any problem with the game install/OS if the game suddenly works how it should again. It's then down to the user to find the problem within their old folder which is normally dodgy CC, Mods, corrupt saves etc.

It's probably about time I updated the OP but I'm on my iPad at the moment and It would take ages doing it on here. I'll do it as soon as I'm on my Mac :)
    apple-signature.png
    edited July 2013
    @caspin - thanks for digging out snapdragon's response :)

@kirby - that's why the very first thing you should try when having problems is moving out the folder. It instantly eliminates any problem with the game install/OS if the game suddenly works how it should again. It's then down to the user to find the problem within their old folder which is normally dodgy CC, Mods, corrupt saves etc.

It's probably about time I updated the OP but I'm on my iPad at the moment and It would take ages doing it on here. I'll do it as soon as I'm on my Mac :)

I did a little experiment. And I came to realize that it was the mods that were causing the lag issue. It sucks but I can do for now. I try and see if I can find a fix with the mods, but I'm actually enjoying playing the game without them. Although, my Overwatch mod cleans the game up,I'll wait for now and see how it goes.
    edited July 2013
    Updated 30.07.13 to add in Boot Camp partition sizing and copying over user data from OS X.
    apple-signature.png
  • wanderingqawanderingqa Posts: 21 New Member
    edited August 2013
    I'm about to move to windows via Bootcamp but with only 50gb free on my HDD, I may have a problem (My Imac is older than a lot of your machines - but works, so I don't really want to update!) But way back when the first expansion came out, my game went completely haywire. I had problem after problem and then someone said, it's your Custom Content! I deleted it all - it was not too much of a hardship - and only used genuine EA stuff. After that, I had no problems at all until Seasons came out, and now it's been so bad with Island Paradise, that I am taking the biggest step! If I was certain it would work on my old macbook too, I would move it to that instead (so I can play late at night in my bed!) but I bought a copy of Windows 7 (I did have XP on a smaller partition to run a couple of Windows programmes) and I've backed up, and I'm ready.......
  • Ligeia999Ligeia999 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited August 2013
    Just a quick question: has anyone updated the graphic drivers (Nvidia) on their Bootcamp partition? today a prompt popped up in my Bootcamp Windows, saying that there were new GeForce drivers to download and install... i downloaded them but haven't installed yet... I'm too scared to mess up the partition!

Anyone did that sort of updating?
  • lgrubisichlgrubisich Posts: 37
    edited August 2013

How long is a piece of string? ;)

Add up the following:

Base game requirement size + All EPs and SPs you have + 20Gb for Windows OS

Also add in how much CC you think you'll be installing plus how big you think your saves will be.

And then add 10Gb on top so the Boot Camp partition isn't full.

If you select your current Sims 3 folder in OS X and hold down CMD and press i you'll see how big your current user data is which should give you an idea. Bear in mind this is just user data, not the actual installs from the disc/digital download.

Hey sorry for the stupid question(s), but are the requirements referring to the Hard Drive or to Ram?

I have the Base Game and seven expansion (Ambitions, Generations, WA, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons, UL).

I download some custom content but nothing compared to a lot of simmers I know. I keep about 1-3 saved files at a time, and I'm interested in CAW and potentially other expansions/stuff packs.

Iv heard a lot of people saying somewhere in between 100-200GB. Does this work for most people?

Thanks for all the help BluebellFlora.

P.S. Ignore the hate, it must be hard for AdamVidalisssto realize that your not his personal game advisor :wink:
  • lgrubisichlgrubisich Posts: 37
    edited August 2013
    kirby356 wrote:
    1 - read my post at the top of this page in response to MOOKIES.

2 - copy over from your Mac side - downloads, saves etc.

3 - just buy the cheapest copy of Windows, so long as it's Windows it doesn't matter what edition.

4 - no problem.

5 - as you can see from this thread and multiple others........... YES!

Don't listen to her. She is a clueless *🐸🐸🐸🐸* who seriously doesn't know *🐸🐸🐸🐸*. BlueBellFlora, BURN IN HELL YOU STUPID *W H O R E*! YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! And guess what, My game runs flawlessly in fall on my new 15-inch MacBook Pro. Guess what, I'M USING BOOTCAMP! I also have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M card! So *🐸🐸🐸🐸* you! BYE!
    HOPE YOU SEE THIS, IT MAY GIVE YOU MORE KNOWLEDGE! YOU HAVE NOT ONE OUNCE OF KNOWLEDGE. YOU'RE *🐸🐸🐸🐸 I N G* STUPID!

Well you just validated that TS3 doesn't run well on Mac, which is why you use Bootcamp. Something BluebellFlora has already stated. So in actuality you're saying the same thing she was. :?

Oh, and you've been reported.

Understand this, I hate when people like her send me links where I can't find quick absolute answers. I've tried to tell her that I didn't find any of the answers in the links she gave me, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. I love quick, to-the-point answers, not something where I have to go through every page and thread to find the answer I'm looking for. I would've appreciated it if she had given me from the beginning a simple yes or no answer; That is all I needed. For me, my game (The Sims 3 Seasons) runs flawlessly in on my new MacBook, using Bootcamp of course. After trying for a while to get an absolute answer out of her (that didn't include confusing links or sarcasm, in which at one point, she was a bit sarcastic with her response, which ticks me off), I finally made up my mind and just purchased the dang laptop and saw for myself that it runs perfect. Sorry about the fact that I was rude, but that's how mad I was. Because you never been ticked off, right?
    I was just aggravated by the sarcastic response she gave me after I was asking her (because I assumed she knew, since she's some sort of genius on The Sims 3 running on a Mac) one simple yes or no question. I didn't want links, because I'm not going through everything everybody wrote to get the answer.
    By the way, what is the worst thing that can happen by reporting me? It wont harm me in any way, so I really don't care.
    I'm sorry for this. BYE!

I honestly feel bad for you, being illiterate must be hard.
  • SterredejongSterredejong Posts: 58
    edited August 2013
    I tried installing Windows 7 through Bootcamp, and then had a new issue:

Bootcamp 5 is not working well on a 27" 3TB Fusion Drive iMac because apparantly Bootcamp can only partition drives that are 2TB or less.

It caused all sorts of problems, but mainly it just wouldn't be able to partition my drive.

There have been a lot of complaints for this (for instance check out this thread on Apple support: https://discussions.apple.com/message/21518123#21518123#21518123 ), but so far it seems there haven't been an easy fix yet.

edited August 2013
    @lgrubisich - Hard drive, RAM has nothing to do with it..... Thanks! :)

@Ligeia999 - there used to be issues doing it this way but I think it's better now. I haven't personally done it, I wait for an update from Apple.
    apple-signature.png
  • AdamVidalisssAdamVidalisss Posts: 40 New Member
    edited August 2013
    edited August 2013

Bootcamp 5 is not working well on a 27" 3TB Fusion Drive iMac because apparantly Bootcamp can only partition drives that are 2TB or less.

It caused all sorts of problems, but mainly it just wouldn't be able to partition my drive.

There have been a lot of complaints for this (for instance check out this thread on Apple support: https://discussions.apple.com/message/21518123#21518123#21518123 ), but so far it seems there haven't been an easy fix yet.

I thought this was fixed in the 10.8.3 update?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4441

Apparently not according to the thread you posted - not very useful to lose 1Tb of your drive :( If you have an Apple store near you I'd get a genius to Boot Camp it, I'd love to know those Terminal commands one of the posters mentions.
    apple-signature.png
  • SterredejongSterredejong Posts: 58
    edited August 2013

I thought this was fixed in the 10.8.3 update?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4441

Apparently not according to the thread you posted - not very useful to lose 1Tb of your drive :( If you have an Apple store near you I'd get a genius to Boot Camp it, I'd love to know those Terminal commands one of the posters mentions.

Sadly no :( The issue you are talking about was fixed, however with my it does install while partitioning, it just crashes mid way.
    Also can't create a partition through Disk Utility. I went to the Genius Bar in Amsterdam today, the genius was hopeless. He tried to fix an old problem and didn't understand anything of what I was trying to explain to him. Luckily downstairs there was a guy who DID help. Turns out Apple never anticipated a problem with a Fusion Drive where two drives have to work together. For now the software of both Bootcamp and Disk Utility doesn't seem to be able to distinguish the two from each other and crashes when you try to create a partition on a drive, because it doens't know where the available space is. But Apple is aware and he said it might be possible that Mavericks will have a fix for this since Mavericks is all about effiencent RAM usage and Disk storage to begin with.

So now I wait. Again.
  • Ligeia999Ligeia999 Posts: 10 New Member
    edited August 2013
    @Ligeia999 - there used to be issues doing it this way but I think it's better now. I haven't personally done it, I wait for an update from Apple.

Thank you Bluebell, as always you never leave any question unanswered :)

But is Apple supposed to inform ppl when that specific update is available? and in which form will the updated video driver file come? will it be part of some Bootcamp new version? Sry, Im very ignorant about bootcamp which I installed just for Sims reasons
    edited August 2013
    It will come in the form of Boot Camp updates, via Apple Software Update in the Windows side. You can always launch the software update to see if there is one. Click on the Start button/Windows icon and navigate to it from there.
    apple-signature.png
  • xXSoulKeeperXxxXSoulKeeperXx Posts: 61 Member
    edited August 2013
    Can someone please explain to me how to do this. Every time I try to partition it fails and says thus:
    Use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk.....

Does it want me to enter Disk Utility and click on Restore?
    edited August 2013
    Can someone please explain to me how to do this. Every time I try to partition it fails and says thus:
    Use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk.....

Does it want me to enter Disk Utility and click on Restore?

Is your hard drive already partitioned? What OS are you running?
    apple-signature.png
  • xXSoulKeeperXxxXSoulKeeperXx Posts: 61 Member
    edited August 2013
    I used to have my drive partitioned, but I removed the partition (I can't remember how I did it, but I know I had to look that up). So, when I look at my HD it has its total storage back and no signs of any partition. Even when I boot up my laptop, if I press the option key only one comes up (the Mac one).

I am running the Mac OS X 10.5.8.
  • suepeasuepea Posts: 1,832 Member
    edited September 2013
    Ok -- I tried. Not working. I got up to the part where I should have been able to format my partition to NTFS and I couldn't. So I blew away all the partitions and am back to just the Mac OS. I may give it a try again tomorrow morning but I may just throw in the towel and resign myself to playing a patched up SIms game for the rest of my life.

:(

I did some research online and found something that said I can't have any external drives attached (including the jump drive with the support files on it) while boot camping. Anyone else hear anything about that or have any issues with this?

Now I hate EA for their lack of Mac support and Microsoft just for existing. Bill Gates is the devil :evil:
    h2xmsbl]
    edited September 2013
    I. AM. IN. :mrgreen:

Downloading my games right this instance (which is why I am using my ipad - don't want to jinx anything.)

This is a VERY IMPORTANT POINT that no one seems to have mentioned in the installation guides. Unplug your peripherals before Boot Camping and remove the drive that you downloaded the Support software as well. I don't know why this isn't mentioned but I couldn't get the install to work before I did this.

Anyway, fingers crossed and on to the next step. Wish me luck.

Oh, Bluebellflora, I take back all those nasty things I was muttering under my breath about you and your darned Boot Camp nonsense while I was trying to install last night. It was way past my bed time and I was cranky. :roll:
    h2xmsbl]
    edited September 2013
    Ok, now I really give up. I had everything working just fine and was downloading my games from Origin only to find out I didn't give Boot Camp a large enough partition. No problem. I just deleted the partition and tried again. Only now I can't get the drivers to install and I can't use my mouse or my keyboard. Dang.

I think I am giving up. All day long and no luck.

I am sad.

:(
    h2xmsbl]
    edited September 2013
    Lol, I didn't even think to mention unplugging everything as I do it automatically whenever I install or do anything to my Mac, sorry :oops: I'll update the OP :)

Bit odd that your re-installation isn't working properly. Have you tried downloading the software again through Boot Camp Assistant?
    apple-signature.png
  • kogoeruyorukogoeruyoru Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    Does no one else feel like Electronic Arts should be responsible for their ****-ups? It disgusts me that installing Windows is so necessary for this game to work that there is a dedicated thread on installing Windows via Bootcamp on the Sims 3 Mac forums. "Beloved Mac community" my ******* ***. Electronic Arts should fix the Sims 3 to work on Mac; I should not have to install Windows on my machine in order to enjoy a game that I bought advertised as Mac software.

I don't give a **** if the Sims works on Windows; it should work just as well on Mac. Period. Please die and burn in the deepest pits of profiteering hell, EA.

:evil: