Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to install Windows using Boot Camp - step by step instructions with screenshots.

Comments

• Options
    GEMINISIMLADYGEMINISIMLADY Posts: 5
    edited July 2013
    I will go try again. Thank you for the step by step. I was on with EA games support and they were NO help but they did say that they would forward my issue to the Concern Team. I stated how unhappy we Mac people are.

I would prefer to buy a MAC dedicated game like we used to instead of this bogus hybrid PC/MAC that sucks.

If this screws up any of my MAC... EA will be buying me a new one.
  • Options
    kedixon6kedixon6 Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    This doesn't make sense to me. I've tried multiple times to get bootcamp on my system. I have a 10.8 Mountain Lion and a digital copy of Windows for mac. But it doesn't give me the option to use a digital copy. It just asks for the windows disk, which I don't have. I hate to feel like I wasted $127 just to not be able to use it. Help?

In reading the mac support on the bootcamp process, you can't do it with a digital copy- it won't work if it's not a disk.
  • Options
    kedixon6kedixon6 Posts: 4
    edited July 2013
    I just wanted to bump this and update to say that I did the whole bootcamp process the other day and, besides being pretty windows illiterate (this whole reversed trackpad thing is a trip), it's worked well. game is running faster, no crashes even when i run it in windowed-mode with chrome & trillian open (really pushing it with that, i know), and i'd say the graphics are even better (likely due to being able to have them on higher settings, obviously).

i'm really pleased that i did it and this guide plus the link in the first post took all the guesswork out of the process and, who knows, maybe having windows on my mac will make other stuff easier in the future.

• Options
    MOOKIESMOOKIES Posts: 16
    edited July 2013
    how many GB should the windows partition have ?
  • Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited July 2013
    MOOKIES wrote:
    how many GB should the windows partition have ?

How long is a piece of string? ;)

Add up the following:

Base game requirement size + All EPs and SPs you have + 20Gb for Windows OS

Also add in how much CC you think you'll be installing plus how big you think your saves will be.

And then add 10Gb on top so the Boot Camp partition isn't full.

If you select your current Sims 3 folder in OS X and hold down CMD and press i you'll see how big your current user data is which should give you an idea. Bear in mind this is just user data, not the actual installs from the disc/digital download.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    kirby356kirby356 Posts: 4,607 Member
    edited July 2013
    So I haven't bootcamped my computer yet, because TS3 has been working fine...only because I had to uninstall some EPs, Seasons included. But now Island Paradise is acting up, and giving me debug errors. I just can't deal with this struggle any longer. And I'm tired of having to take away some EPs. I want to play all of them. So at first I was thinking of getting a gaming computer like Alienware. I figured that with TS4 coming out, it'd be good. However, I don't want to spend that kind of money right now, and I'll worry about TS4 when it's time. So, I'm here ready to bootcamp my Mac!

I'm a little apprehensive though considering I have a very good save game at the moment. My sims have accomplished a lot (5-star resorts, uncharted islands, etc.) So, I don't want to start from scratch again. I have some questions and it would be great if you could answer them the best possible :D

1. When separating how much space should go on Windows, and Mac...what do you suggest I do? Make it half, or more?

2. How can I keep my current save game, and switch it over to my Windows? Is that even possible, or will I have to start from scratch?

3. Do you think this is a good version of Windows I should purchase? Will this type of Windows allow me to play the game smoothly, with graphics high? I'm assuming I would download the 64-bit.

Here's the link to the Windows I was talking about ^ : http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium/dp/B002DHGMK0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1363907898&sr=8-7&keywords=windows+7

4. Here my specs. With bootcamp, will these specs allow me to play the game to its fullest? By that I mean, with all of the EPs, and SPs installed like it should be? (Keep in mind, my computers a tough cookie. It's been through a lot with TS3 but, TS3 can't bring her down :wink: )

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" OS X, 2011 (I think :? )
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Memory
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    Snow Leopard 10.6.8

5. Does bootcamp really work? Does it really work for TS3? I just want to make sure, because TS3 has let me down a lot lately.

And that's all I got :D

Thanks in advance!!!

**If it matters, I have Twallans mods: MasterController, Overwatch, ErrorTrap, and Woohooer. I also have CC body slider hacks. I'm sure if they work fine for my Mac they'll work fine for Windows.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I just posted this in mysimBrenda's thread but thought it may help to have a dedicated thread with instructions as more and more Mac users are realising that the game only truly works properly under Windows. Snapdragon has also provided a fantastic link to an external site detailing how to do the installation

Just wanted to bump this thread so you, BlubellFlora, can see my response above ^
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Bump.

Sorry I just have to make the purchase as quick as possible. Lol I apologize if my impatience is bothersome, I have to work on that :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    1 - read my post at the top of this page in response to MOOKIES.

2 - copy over from your Mac side - downloads, saves etc.

3 - just buy the cheapest copy of Windows, so long as it's Windows it doesn't matter what edition.

4 - no problem.

5 - as you can see from this thread and multiple others........... YES!
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013

3 - just buy the cheapest copy of Windows, so long as it's Windows it doesn't matter what edition.

4 - no problem.

Thank you very much. I just ordered the Windows 7 and just received it from the mail.

When you say copy over your Mac side, how exactly do you do this?
  • Options
    AdamVidalisssAdamVidalisss Posts: 40 New Member
    edited July 2013

4 - no problem.

Don't listen to her. She is a clueless *🐸🐸🐸🐸* who seriously doesn't know *🐸🐸🐸🐸*. BlueBellFlora, BURN IN HELL YOU STUPID *W H O R E*! YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! And guess what, My game runs flawlessly in fall on my new 15-inch MacBook Pro. Guess what, I'M USING BOOTCAMP! I also have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M card! So *🐸🐸🐸🐸* you! BYE!
    HOPE YOU SEE THIS, IT MAY GIVE YOU MORE KNOWLEDGE! YOU HAVE NOT ONE OUNCE OF KNOWLEDGE. YOU'RE *🐸🐸🐸🐸 I N G* STUPID!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Don't panic Corey. We all know Boot Camp works great. Of course EA don't support partitioning our Macs - it show how crap Cider is!

Why don't you speak proper English, you dumb *🐸🐸🐸🐸*!

"It show(s) how crap cider is!" Is that what you mean? Go to hell.
  • Options
    BatshebaBatsheba Posts: 44 Member
    edited July 2013
    kirby356 wrote:

4 - no problem.

Thank you very much. I just ordered the Windows 7 and just received it from the mail.

Just like you would copy any file on your Mac. Not everything of cause but the things you want and need for Sims, the EA folder.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    To AdamVidaliss - I have reported you.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

4 - no problem.

Don't listen to her. She is a clueless *🐸🐸🐸🐸* who seriously doesn't know *🐸🐸🐸🐸*. BlueBellFlora, BURN IN HELL YOU STUPID *W H O R E*! YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! And guess what, My game runs flawlessly in fall on my new 15-inch MacBook Pro. Guess what, I'M USING BOOTCAMP! I also have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M card! So *🐸🐸🐸🐸* you! BYE!
    HOPE YOU SEE THIS, IT MAY GIVE YOU MORE KNOWLEDGE! YOU HAVE NOT ONE OUNCE OF KNOWLEDGE. YOU'RE *🐸🐸🐸🐸 I N G* STUPID!

Well you just validated that TS3 doesn't run well on Mac, which is why you use Bootcamp. Something BluebellFlora has already stated. So in actuality you're saying the same thing she was. :?

Oh, and you've been reported.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Batsheba wrote:
    kirby356 wrote:

4 - no problem.

Just like you would copy any file on your Mac. Not everything of cause but the things you want and need for Sims, the EA folder.

So I just have to copy the EA folder? But then how will it transfer to the Windows parition? Do I just paste it there?

Also, when I paste the folder on the Windows parition, when installing the game, wouldn't it generate a new EA folder? So then I'd have my saved one, and a new one? I'm sorry if I'm confusing you...it's just I want everything to be perfect. :D \

**Oh and one more thing...does it matter what version of Bootcamp I download from Apple's website? I read somewhere that it should be version 4 or lower, but there's a version 5. Which should I download?
  • Options
    TheRealTacomamaTheRealTacomama Posts: 109 Member
    edited July 2013
    Do you guys think I could use a used version of windows xp? Or is that too old and cheap?...
    Simming for twenty years...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Batsheba wrote:
    To AdamVidaliss - I have reported you.

Um, do you think I care?
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    kirby356 wrote:

4 - no problem.

Well you just validated that TS3 doesn't run well on Mac, which is why you use Bootcamp. Something BluebellFlora has already stated. So in actuality you're saying the same thing she was. :?

Understand this, I hate when people like her send me links where I can't find quick absolute answers. I've tried to tell her that I didn't find any of the answers in the links she gave me, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. I love quick, to-the-point answers, not something where I have to go through every page and thread to find the answer I'm looking for. I would've appreciated it if she had given me from the beginning a simple yes or no answer; That is all I needed. For me, my game (The Sims 3 Seasons) runs flawlessly in on my new MacBook, using Bootcamp of course. After trying for a while to get an absolute answer out of her (that didn't include confusing links or sarcasm, in which at one point, she was a bit sarcastic with her response, which ticks me off), I finally made up my mind and just purchased the dang laptop and saw for myself that it runs perfect. Sorry about the fact that I was rude, but that's how mad I was. Because you never been ticked off, right?
    I was just aggravated by the sarcastic response she gave me after I was asking her (because I assumed she knew, since she's some sort of genius on The Sims 3 running on a Mac) one simple yes or no question. I didn't want links, because I'm not going through everything everybody wrote to get the answer.
    By the way, what is the worst thing that can happen by reporting me? It wont harm me in any way, so I really don't care.
    I'm sorry for this. BYE!
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    kirby356 wrote:
    Batsheba wrote:
    kirby356 wrote:

4 - no problem.

So I just have to copy the EA folder? But then how will it transfer to the Windows parition? Do I just paste it there?

Also, when I paste the folder on the Windows parition, when installing the game, wouldn't it generate a new EA folder? So then I'd have my saved one, and a new one? I'm sorry if I'm confusing you...it's just I want everything to be perfect. :D \

**Oh and one more thing...does it matter what version of Bootcamp I download from Apple's website? I read somewhere that it should be version 4 or lower, but there's a version 5. Which should I download?

Yes, you drag or paste.

Yes you will have two EA folders, just copy the files you want from the old folder into the new one and save the old one as a backup.

Well, I'm guessing the newest version as long as it is compatible to your system.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    kirby356 wrote:

4 - no problem.

Understand this, I hate when people like her send me links where I can't find quick absolute answers. I've tried to tell her that I didn't find any of the answers in the links she gave me, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. I love quick, to-the-point answers, not something where I have to go through every page and thread to find the answer I'm looking for. I would've appreciated it if she had given me from the beginning a simple yes or no answer; That is all I needed. For me, my game (The Sims 3 Seasons) runs flawlessly in on my new MacBook, using Bootcamp of course. After trying for a while to get an absolute answer out of her (that didn't include confusing links or sarcasm, in which at one point, she was a bit sarcastic with her response, which ticks me off), I finally made up my mind and just purchased the dang laptop and saw for myself that it runs perfect. Sorry about the fact that I was rude, but that's how mad I was. Because you never been ticked off, right?
    I was just aggravated by the sarcastic response she gave me after I was asking her (because I assumed she knew, since she's some sort of genius on The Sims 3 running on a Mac) one simple yes or no question. I didn't want links, because I'm not going through everything everybody wrote to get the answer.
    By the way, what is the worst thing that can happen by reporting me? It wont harm me in any way, so I really don't care.
    I'm sorry for this. BYE!

To be honest, I'm having trouble Bootcamping as well, and I too can't really get an answer around here...only because the Mac forums are pretty dead.

I just can't bootcamp. My computer won't let me. And it gives me steps that are in a different order, then what her pictures are. Ugh, tried bootcamping for 4 hours. I'm about to give up.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    @kirby356 - When you say it's not letting you, what exactly isn't working? And what's different about the order? Please let me know so I can update this thread :)
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Oh, you shouldn't be downloading Boot Camp, the Boot Camp Assistant is already in the Utilities folder on your Mac?!
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Oh, you shouldn't be downloading Boot Camp, the Boot Camp Assistant is already in the Utilities folder on your Mac?!

Well I boot camped, and everything seemed normal. My saves were still there, my mods were intact. The only gripe I have is that it loads SO SLOWLY. I timed it, and it took 26 minutes to load into the game. And once I was in the game it was very slow as well, and the graphics weren't as good as they are on Mac. I even put he graphics on high! I was so sad, and I have no idea why it loads slower on Windows than it does on Mac. Ugh why me :cry:

EDIT: I just went into play the game, and it took a whopping 43 MINUTES TO LOAD!!! I have NEVER experienced this type of loading time before. On my Mac it took me 3 minutes max!

Also, the game is not going faster for me. I fixed the graphics issue, but now the game is just really laggy and slow. Is it because Windows is getting used to the game? What's happening here?!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    kirby356 wrote:
    Well I boot camped, and everything seemed normal. My saves were still there, my mods were intact. The only gripe I have is that it loads SO SLOWLY. I timed it, and it took 26 minutes to load into the game. And once I was in the game it was very slow as well, and the graphics weren't as good as they are on Mac. I even put he graphics on high! I was so sad, and I have no idea why it loads slower on Windows than it does on Mac. Ugh why me :cry:

EDIT: I just went into play the game, and it took a whopping 43 MINUTES TO LOAD!!! I have NEVER experienced this type of loading time before. On my Mac it took me 3 minutes max!

Also, the game is not going faster for me. I fixed the graphics issue, but now the game is just really laggy and slow. Is it because Windows is getting used to the game? What's happening here?!

And what happens when you move out The Sims 3 folder and let the game regenerate a new one? How long does it take to load and what is gameplay like?
    apple-signature.png