Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is a familiar? In witch terms

In one of the new previews of Supernatural they mention Witches being able to use magic through a familiar such as a cat.
What does that mean?

Comments

• NoonlesNoonles Posts: 428 New Member
    edited August 2012
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define+familiar .

Haha, but seriously, a familiar is just a magical companion to witches and other fantasy folk. In the case of Supernatural, a cat familiar will boosts a witches spell success rate.
  • TwistedTransistorTwistedTransistor Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2012
    Noonles wrote:

Haha, but seriously, a familiar is just a magical companion to witches and other fantasy folk. In the case of Supernatural, a cat familiar will boosts a witches spell success rate.
    Thankyou for showing me that exists :lol:
    -Let me google that for you-
    I freaking love the internet.

I wasn't sure if it was a general Witch term or just something the sims team made up for Supernatural.
    Thanks for the info
  • murfeelmurfeel Posts: 7,584 Member
    edited August 2012
    In one of the new previews of Supernatural they mention Witches being able to use magic through a familiar such as a cat.
    What does that mean?

So I wonder if this means we'll be getting a new 'Pet'? :shock:
    Or if it will be a watered down sort of pet you don't interact with much, like the Cowplant?
    Or if it's not a pet at all, and just another moving object we'll have that boosts our moodlets/power--that just so happens to be in the shape of a spectral cat?
  • cajo5cajo5 Posts: 1,359
    edited August 2012
    murfeel wrote:
    What does that mean?

So I wonder if this means we'll be getting a new 'Pet'? :shock:
    Or if it will be a watered down sort of pet you don't interact with much, like the Cowplant?
    Or if it's not a pet at all, and just another moving object we'll have that boosts our moodlets/power--that just so happens to be in the shape of a spectral cat?

It is a cat, maybe one of the others, that will enhance a witches power. So no new pet.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    edited August 2012
    I thought it was just if a witch sim has a pet cat in the normal fashion it boosts his/her spellcasting ability?
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • antsims310antsims310 Posts: 1,154 New Member
    edited August 2012
    A familiar is a creature (usually a cat) that guides a new witch when she discovers her powers. In the case of SN, they boost the witch's ability, and make spells more successful.
  • HydrasisHydrasis Posts: 216 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Think along the line of Salem from Sabrina. He was a compass but a kinda faulty one on occasion . w . ;
  • FlawlessAriaFlawlessAria Posts: 1,476 New Member
    edited August 2012
    But will this mean people without Pets get it?!
  • NeonivekNeonivek Posts: 1,373 Member
    edited August 2012
    A familiar is another word for "Pet" for the most part.
  • KBrox1KBrox1 Posts: 234 Member
    edited August 2012
    Who knows? Guess we'll have to wait and find out. :3
    <iframe width="202" height="25" src="http://embed.wattpad.com/follow/cosmicondoms/follow/cosmicondoms?type=2&theme=light&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    edited August 2012
    KBrox1 wrote:
    Who knows? Guess we'll have to wait and find out. :3

In The Sims 3 a witch who has a familiar has less drain from casting magic spells... or faster magic regeneration I forget.

That is pretty much it.
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    edited August 2012
    What I find wonderful is I created a cat based on my real life cat, Felix...who happens to be a black cat. Maybe my simself should be a witch :lol:
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • orrasfairyorrasfairy Posts: 224 Member
    edited August 2012
    Familiars can also be birds or snakes(really any animal).
    There is a lot of lore surrounding familiars. In some myths the witch is able to turn into her familiar or see through their eyes. In, others they help increase the witch's powers. They basically just serve the witch. In all of the stories I've read, familiars are much smarter than normal animals.

• jazhandzjazhandz Posts: 26
    edited August 2012
    In the most basic terms, familiars are a witch's magical companion. Familiars were thought of to assist the witch in their magic, although I cannot say how exactly. They are usually live beings, such as animals, and typically have a spiritual connection with their "master."

In some forms of fiction, they are also sources that witches can store their magical power in. The witch's magic can be drawn from this source at any time, by conjuring the familiar.
  • DerellaDerella Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2012
    But will this mean people without Pets get it?!
    No. Only people with Pets will be able to have one.
    edited August 2012
    Which I don't mind at all.

I love it when Expansions work with other expansions and have cross content bonuses.

I still remember Vampire Plantsims.
  • Capt_OdeeCapt_Odee Posts: 70 Member
    Noonles wrote: »

would be nice if we could have Dog, Birds, Dragons, and/or Horses as familiars
  • Capt_OdeeCapt_Odee Posts: 70 Member
    What does that mean?

According SIMS Wiki: Familiars are magical creatures that act as companions for witches and spellcasters in The Sims 2: Apartment Life (when The Sims 2: Pets is also installed) and The Sims 4: Realm of Magic. Witches in The Sims 3: Supernatural get a moodlet that boosts spellcasting if they own a cat or a small pet, but these pets are completely normal otherwise.

Source https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Familiar
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    edited June 2020
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz[

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top