Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How long will you set your Seasons?

13...Next

Comments

• sugar_cookiessugar_cookies Posts: 1,308 New Member
    edited August 2012
    I hope we can get some information about what toddlers can do in this expansion... it'd make a world of difference when deciding...
  • ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    edited August 2012
    My age distribution is set this way:

Baby: 4 days
    Toddler: 8 days
    Child: 18 days
    Teen: 25 days
    YA: 40 days
    Adult: 40 days
    Elder: 25 days

For a total of, I believe, 160 days. At the moment I'm thinking I will set each Season to be 10 days, that way the YA/Adult stages experience all four Seasons during that age stage. Children will see almost two Seasons, and Teens will see two and a half.

I also play with Nraas Relativity mod to make days twice as long, so that will make the Seasons seem longer as well even though they would be 10 days. Anything less seems too short for me, and anything longer would make me impatient for the next season.

That was a good question, though, as I hadn't even thought about that. I'm glad we are getting a good range of options for season length so we're not stuck with short little 4 day seasons like in Sims 2.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    edited August 2012
    Oh man I never really thought about it. Since I like to mostly play as close to rl as possible, I guess I'd have my longer seasons as summer and winter and shorter seasons of spring and autumn. I play on long lifespan so I definitely would want my sims, in all life stages to experience 2 full cycles of seasons, if possible. :-) (With the exception being babies, don't think I'll move that stage much past 2 days where I have it set now.)

Lord, thanks for the headache I'm going to get, CK. :lol:

In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • ConclueConclue Posts: 2,307 Member
    edited August 2012
    I have a longer age set up in my game. I like to play a couple different households in each town so I have my age spans set pretty long; however with Seasons it's gonna need tweaking and I'm not sure how I'm gonna work it out.

Ideally I'd like Seasons to change weekly. However depending on how we can tune the lengths of seasons and what not will determine how I will ultimately figure this out.

My set up is:

Baby 7 Days
    Toddler 14 Days
    Child 28 Days
    Teen 35 Days (changing to 28, lol learned it's wayyy to long)
    YA 49 days
    A is 77 Days
    Elder is like 49 too I think.

I used multiples of 7 for weeks. However I too want my Sims to experience each season in each age group. So, Toddler doesn't work anymore since it's only 14. Children and Teens are perfect; YA gives almost 2 cycles while Adult gives them almost 4 so about 6 cycles for the adults which seems to work well.

I don't like cycling through generations. I like to keep my Sims going for a while. This set up allows me to leave a family for a couple weeks but still give me enough play time with each age group since Generations. I like it alot better.

I don't want toddlers to be 21 friggin days long, but I want them to experience each season. The decision is gonna be do I want them to really experience each season and have it at 21 days or will it be luck of the draw which season each toddler experiences. Right now I'm leaning on the latter.

If I have to have a winter season in a game to have snowflake day and parties then i will need to incorporate a snowless short winter for each town regardless of how I want it to be climate wise. For example I want LP to be Summer all year round. I want 🐸🐸🐸🐸 to be winter most of the year and SS I want semi-tropical (very short winter, no snow, mainly summer and spring.)

It's gonna require some testing.

But with all of this, part of me thinks I'll be addicted to LL once I repopulate that bad boy with more aliens than Sims :)
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited August 2012
    How long were the seasons in Sims 2? 5, 6 days? I think I'll leave it at that. 7 seems to long.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Vampyfan2Vampyfan2 Posts: 517 Member
    edited August 2012
    CK213 wrote:
    How long will you set your Seasons?
    I noticed in jennthya's thread a tweet from SimGuruGraham that a season can last from 3 to 28 days.

I hadn't given this any thought, but I think I might start thinking how many seasons I would like to see a Baby-to-teen experience. I would certainly like them to experience all the seasons before they turn YA.

It would depend on how many days you have set for their age stages and how many days you have set for the season. I would think you could slice it many ways.

My current age stage distribution set against a 7 day season. Assuming, I can set it for 7 Days.

Baby: 3 days (Spring)
    Toddler: 5 days (Spring cont/ Summer)
    Child: 7 Days (Summer Cont/ Fall)
    Teen: 16 Days (Fall cont/ Winter/ Spring)
    Young Adult: 30 Days (Spring cont/ Summer/ Fall/ Winter/ Spring)
    Adult: 20 Days (Spring cont/ Summer/ Fall/ Winter)
    Elder: 9 Days (Winter cont/ Spring)

So over the lifetime of a sim born on the first day of Spring in my game, they will experience 4 springs, 3 summers, 3 falls, and 3 winters.

If I want the baby, toddler, child, and teen stages to each experience all four seasons, I'm going to have to adjust some numbers. I think I will be satisfied with children experiencing all four seasons before they reach YA.

What do you plan to do?

It depends. I will experiment with all of them, then sometimes i will pick my favorite season, and set an entire town around that season. In TS2 i made a town that was in the Arctic...its fun to only experience Winter sometimes.
    Watch my live streams and follow me on twitch!

• Callum9432Callum9432 Posts: 6,462 Member
    edited August 2012
    Simpkin wrote:
    How long were the seasons in Sims 2? 5, 6 days? I think I'll leave it at that. 7 seems to long.
    IIRC, TS2 holidays were 3-4 days long, but you could change the length using the weather control machine.
  • Silverstream3575Silverstream3575 Posts: 17
    edited August 2012
    Well I've turned off ageing on my game, because I like to play with my families in depth, and then choose when the age by buying a birthday cake...but that's just me! :) As for how long I'll set my seasons then, probably 7 days to start with, as a few people are already suggesting, to explore what each season has to offer! Then I think I'll make them longer so it's, I don't know, more realistic and I can really enjoy each season? I might make them like 28 days each then! Sooo excited about seasons- been waiting since I got sims 3 for this!!! :D
  • Eleanor1815Eleanor1815 Posts: 14 New Member
    I've disabled auto aging, because I don't want my sims I've worked ages creating to die when I'm playing as someone else, so with families I just age up babies and toddlers when I'm bored of them being the age they are. I hope you can set the seasons quite long because decorating for christmas and halloween and easter and all that will get so boring if it's every 3 days or something!
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,280 Member
    edited May 2018
    @Eleanor1815, I believe that you're playing TS4 and posting what you hope you can do in the new Seasons EP in a thread for The Sims 3 Seasons. You might want to post what you've posted over here in the Sims 4 Expansions section for others to see it as well as there is several threads already created about the new Seasons EP... ;)
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-expansion-packs
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Closing this one down as the thread is nearly 6 years old :smile:

Thanks,
    -Mage
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top